This topic is locked from further discussion.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I've got a good opportunity to buy a like-new Martin D12-28 but I've never played a 12 string. I understand that the strings act in pairs, but is it easy to pick up and play if you can strum a 6? Can you pick a 12 string?

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

If you a are a moderately competent guitar player, you will be able to go from guitar to bass or 12 string guitars with very little effort. 

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 br0kenrabbit

If you a are a moderately competent guitar player, you will be able to go from guitar to bass or 12 string guitars with very little effort. 

LordQuorthon

Depends on how you define competent, lol. I can't read music or come up with my own shit, but I can learn by watching or listening. I'm just worried about the mechanics of it.

When I was first learning I used to rattle the strings on the frets a lot, and that took a while to learn past. Adding another string UNDER the other (as I understand it) sounds like you'd have to change your strumming mechanics a bit, but especially for picking.

I guess the best way to go about it is to meet up with the guy and give it a shot, but I hate point-of-sale demos. :evil:

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

If you can play a full chord without having any of the strings rattle or sound muffled and you can do it effortlessly, you should do ok with a 12 string. :)

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#5 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Strumming a 12 string should not feel any different, if you are an experienced, competent player. Picking is virtually the same as well, but it can be a little strange at first. Give it a go, 12 strings can sound great and Martins are solid instruments.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 br0kenrabbit

Hey thanks guys. I'm about to head out now to go look at it.

He says he's only played it a few times and it's been stringless and stored for years. He's offered a good price (if it really is like-new) so here's hoping.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

He says he's only played it a few times and it's been stringless and stored for years. He's offered a good price (if it really is like-new) so here's hoping.

br0kenrabbit
If it's been string-less for ages be aware that the neck might need a tiny bit of adjusting if it sounds abit fret buzzy. I might be wrong though.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#8 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

shadowkiller11

If it's been string-less for ages be aware that the neck might need a tiny bit of adjusting if it sounds abit fret buzzy. I might be wrong though.

Actually, it can be worse to leave them on. No matter what though, if the guitar hasn't been played in a long time you'll have to check this stuff out either way.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 br0kenrabbit

Oh, the guitar's in fantastic shape. She's a real beauty.

I just don't know if I could get used to it. I'm sure I could if I spent enough time with it, I'm just afraid it'll be one of those projects I keep not finding room for.

It's not the mechanics that threw me off like I thought, but the tactile feedback. My hands felt so full, like I was handling a larger insturment. My fingers aren't too sore from the strings, it's my joints nearest the nails. I kept flatting the tips of my fingers out (hyperextending the joints) to press both strings. I kept trying not to, but I couldn't stop doing it.

Practice, I know, but like I said:  it's going to be so much easier to pick up a 6-string and play a song I know than to have to stumble through some chords.

He gave me 24 hours to think about it, so I'm thinking.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Oh, the guitar's in fantastic shape. She's a real beauty.

I just don't know if I could get used to it. I'm sure I could if I spent enough time with it, I'm just afraid it'll be one of those projects I keep not finding room for.

It's not the mechanics that threw me off like I thought, but the tactile feedback. My hands felt so full, like I was handling a larger insturment. My fingers aren't too sore from the strings, it's my joints nearest the nails. I kept flatting the tips of my fingers out (hyperextending the joints) to press both strings. I kept trying not to, but I couldn't stop doing it.

Practice, I know, but like I said:  it's going to be so much easier to pick up a 6-string and play a song I know than to have to stumble through some chords.

He gave me 24 hours to think about it, so I'm thinking.

br0kenrabbit

Just keep in mind that a 12 string guitar is a whole different kind of beast, regarding the style of music that sounds good on it. They're great for strumming open position chords, and doing slow arpeggios, but they get real difficult to finger barre chords, and are not that good for playing faster arpeggios or leads (unless you're a boss guitarist). I don't own one myself, but I have some experience playing them, and would love to have one in my collection, just for the option when recording or writing. Relatively low on my list of new musical purchases, though. I would rather get a baritone.Â