greatest warriors in history?

• 188 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#151 CaptHawkeye
Member since 2004 • 13977 Posts

Allow me to continue with ShuLord's claim on the Katana, which he is correct. Samurai are over rated, what's worse is that their equipment is really over rated. Samurai armor was mostly cloth and very weak. Katanas are extremely fragile swords. A lot of anime and movies like to make you think that a Katana can cut through anything. They can't. They really shouldn't even be used against anything more dense then flesh. Katana blades are very thin and very fine. On contact with another solid object, they will shatter like glass. No sane samurai would ever clash his katana against another katana or longword.

Katana are very good for use against unarmored opponents, but against anything harder then flesh, they are useless. European Medieval plate armor is arguably some of the most usefull and efficient armor in history. Years of war allowed the Europeans to perfect the armor. It's actually a myth that the armor was heavy or severly encumbering. Most trained Knights reported little discomfort or weight gain when wearing the armor and a Knight did not need assistance mounting his horse while wearing the armor. It's actually been found that English plate armor can resist low velocity hollow point rounds from handguns.

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 Def_Jef88
Member since 2006 • 17441 Posts
If the "300" myth is true, then Spartans.soroush7
many historians beleive it was more like

2000 spartans  vs. 500,000 persians
CaptHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 CaptHawkeye
Member since 2004 • 13977 Posts

[QUOTE="soroush7"]If the "300" myth is true, then Spartans.Def_Jef88

Which are still very one sided odds.

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Def_Jef88

[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="soroush7"]If the "300" myth is true, then Spartans.CaptHawkeye

2000 spartans vs. 500,000 persians

Which are still very one sided odds.

yeah, but not quite as epic as 1000 vs. 1.5 million
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#155 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="soroush7"]If the "300" myth is true, then Spartans.Def_Jef88

Please stop spouting out stuff you have no idea what your talking about.. The battle was some 250k vs 27k.. What happened is the Greeks held them off for 3 days in a valley intill they were betrayed by one of their own.. Thats when eveyr one pulle dout except 700 spartans..  The 700 Spartans basically fought till their shields, swords spears, and other equipment broke and then fought with the bare hands..  Xerxes was so astounded by the bravery of these men when the king finally fell with only 300 left he asked that they may go free if they gave him their king.. They refused and the Persians dared not go into melee range so they finally killed them off with missle fire..

The movie is based off of the poem/myth that the guy who was witnessing it said..  Thus why he exgerated with the million man army and the 300 spartans killing them by the score.. The Spartans did kill at least 5 to 1 of the last 300 which was astounding.

solidsnakeEx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#156 solidsnakeEx3
Member since 2004 • 26413 Posts

Allow me to continue with ShuLord's claim on the Katana, which he is correct. Samurai are over rated, what's worse is that their equipment is really over rated. Samurai armor was mostly cloth and very weak. Katanas are extremely fragile swords. A lot of anime and movies like to make you think that a Katana can cut through anything. They can't. They really shouldn't even be used against anything more dense then flesh. Katana blades are very thin and very fine. On contact with another solid object, they will shatter like glass. No sane samurai would ever clash his katana against another katana or longword.

Katana are very good for use against unarmored opponents, but against anything harder then flesh, they are useless. European Medieval plate armor is arguably some of the most usefull and efficient armor in history. Years of war allowed the Europeans to perfect the armor. It's actually a myth that the armor was heavy or severly encumbering. Most trained Knights reported little discomfort or weight gain when wearing the armor and a Knight did not need assistance mounting his horse while wearing the armor. It's actually been found that English plate armor can resist low velocity hollow point rounds from handguns.

CaptHawkeye

Katanas are fast, that is their advantage.  However against plate armor they do nothing, as you said.  Samurai also used bamboo armor with leather I think, which is actually very effective.

Full suits are cumbersome especially on foot.  I'd imagine most foot soldiers used a breastplate, gauntlets, and a helmet, with the rest being leather or chain mail.
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Def_Jef88

[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="soroush7"]If the "300" myth is true, then Spartans.sSubZerOo

Please stop spouting out stuff you have no idea what your talking about.. The battle was some 250k vs 27k.. What happened is the Greeks held them off for 3 days in a valley intill they were betrayed by one of their own.. Thats when eveyr one pulle dout except 700 spartans.. The 700 Spartans basically fought till their shields, swords spears, and other equipment broke and then fought with the bare hands.. Xerxes was so astounded by the bravery of these men when the king finally fell with only 300 left he asked that they may go free if they gave him their king.. They refused and the Persians dared not go into melee range so they finally killed them off with missle fire..

The movie is based off of the poem/myth that the guy who was witnessing it said.. Thus why he exgerated with the million man army and the 300 spartans killing them by the score.. The Spartans did kill at least 5 to 1 of the last 300 which was astounding.

First of all, dont ever tell me i dont know something.  No one at all knows the numbers.  I was stating that some historians beleived it was around 2000 who stayed behind (including Spartans, thespians, and a few others) against anywhere from 300,000-500,000.  Also, considering you werent there id shut up about stuff i dont know either. 

And no, the movie is based of a comic that is based off a much older movie that is based of the writings of said greek poet.
steppinrazor88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#158 steppinrazor88
Member since 2006 • 14441 Posts
valkryies are the greatest warriors!!!!
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="soroush7"]If the "300" myth is true, then Spartans.Def_Jef88

Please stop spouting out stuff you have no idea what your talking about.. The battle was some 250k vs 27k.. What happened is the Greeks held them off for 3 days in a valley intill they were betrayed by one of their own.. Thats when eveyr one pulle dout except 700 spartans.. The 700 Spartans basically fought till their shields, swords spears, and other equipment broke and then fought with the bare hands.. Xerxes was so astounded by the bravery of these men when the king finally fell with only 300 left he asked that they may go free if they gave him their king.. They refused and the Persians dared not go into melee range so they finally killed them off with missle fire..

The movie is based off of the poem/myth that the guy who was witnessing it said.. Thus why he exgerated with the million man army and the 300 spartans killing them by the score.. The Spartans did kill at least 5 to 1 of the last 300 which was astounding.

First of all, dont ever tell me i dont know something.  No one at all knows the numbers.  I was stating that some historians beleived it was around 2000 who stayed behind (including Spartans, thespians, and a few others) against anywhere from 300,000-500,000.  Also, considering you werent there id shut up about stuff i dont know either. 

And no, the movie is based of a comic that is based off a much older movie that is based of the writings of said greek poet.

K sorry I misinterpreted your post I thought you were talking about the entire battle over 3 days..  That being said I know its based off Frank Millers comic, he got the idea from the myth/poem which claimed the greeks were facing a million people.

samurai93745

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#160 samurai93745
Member since 2003 • 520 Posts

Miyamoto Musashi was (some say) the greatest samurai swordsman of his time.

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Def_Jef88
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="soroush7"]If the "300" myth is true, then Spartans.sSubZerOo

First of all, dont ever tell me i dont know something. No one at all knows the numbers. I was stating that some historians beleived it was around 2000 who stayed behind (including Spartans, thespians, and a few others) against anywhere from 300,000-500,000. Also, considering you werent there id shut up about stuff i dont know either.

K sorry I misinterpreted your post I thought you were talking about the entire battle over 3 days.. That being said I know its based off Frank Millers comic, he got the idea from the myth/poem which claimed the greeks were facing a million people.

Yup, weve been learning alot about it in school.  Apparently the dude liked to over-exaggerate ALOT.
Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts
Ningas aren't even warriors, they just assassinate, and do espionage, stuff like that. So I pick Spartans.
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Def_Jef88
Id say the Marines, but im wat tooo biased anyways...
Nipponjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#164 Nipponjin
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts
Super Saiyans
tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts

My money is on the spartans, but roman legionaires should of been added also, and sarmatian knights.

longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#166 longhorn7
Member since 2007 • 4637 Posts

Miyamoto Musashi was (some say) the greatest samurai swordsman of his time.

samurai93745
Ah the sword saint of japan, the book of 5 rings is one of my favorite books
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts
I love the Samurai, but the Spartans just kicked too much ass. 
Mr_Manikin52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Mr_Manikin52
Member since 2004 • 12300 Posts

The Ancient Chinese

lord_mordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 lord_mordain
Member since 2003 • 3788 Posts
Me.

I am the greatest warrior in history.

I can't back that up....

...you'll just have to trust me.
badaboom187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#170 badaboom187
Member since 2005 • 6917 Posts
The Golden State Warriors
freek_brothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 freek_brothers
Member since 2007 • 280 Posts

Spartanninjapirates

Spatijarate

-Predak-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 -Predak-
Member since 2006 • 182 Posts

HASHASHIM 4 LIFE!!!

Avatar image for LA_lakers_4life
LA_lakers_4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#173 LA_lakers_4life
Member since 2006 • 7051 Posts
richard simmons.....hes a beast
-Iconoclast-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 -Iconoclast-
Member since 2005 • 6506 Posts
Mongols.
lord_mordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 lord_mordain
Member since 2003 • 3788 Posts
richard simmons.....hes a beastLA_lakers_4life

That dude is CRAZY!!!!

He can like, rip 300lbs off a fat woman!!!!
Avatar image for TheCrimsonKoopa
TheCrimsonKoopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 TheCrimsonKoopa
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts
Chuck Norris.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

The Ancient Chinese

Mr_Manikin52

As an army, I'd have to agree they were one of the greatest.

Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts
A tie between spartans and ninjas.
b1gb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 b1gb0y
Member since 2006 • 1326 Posts

I haven't read any of the posts and nor do I intend to. This is the dumbest list I have ever seen, lets have a look at it:

Spartans - You have only put this in because you have seen the film 300, and thought WOW they must be the best.

Samurais - You once again have seen a film, however its either the last Samurai or some stupid Anime. Samurai's were not that great, it was by pure luck that the Mongols didn't invade, the Katana would shatter on plate armour from Europe, they proved themselves more stupid on the battlefield then the pompous knights of Europe.

Vikings - Finally the only one on the list that should be there.

Ninjas - *Slaps Forehead* you can't get any more stupid than putting these on the list.

Other - Oh thanks for letting us know that there are other warriors capable of fighting.

You have missed out, Mongolians, Knights Templar, Jannisaries, Roman Legionaries, Highland Clansmen, Gauls/Germanic tribes, Alexanders Macadonian Army, Vangarian Gaurds and many more.

This topic is ridiculous, please may some one lock it for the reasons above.

b1gb0y

Allow to repost, because no one seems to be picking up on how stupid this thread is.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts
[QUOTE="b1gb0y"]

I haven't read any of the posts and nor do I intend to. This is the dumbest list I have ever seen, lets have a look at it:

Spartans - You have only put this in because you have seen the film 300, and thought WOW they must be the best.

Samurais - You once again have seen a film, however its either the last Samurai or some stupid Anime. Samurai's were not that great, it was by pure luck that the Mongols didn't invade, the Katana would shatter on plate armour from Europe, they proved themselves more stupid on the battlefield then the pompous knights of Europe.

Vikings - Finally the only one on the list that should be there.

Ninjas - *Slaps Forehead* you can't get any more stupid than putting these on the list.

Other - Oh thanks for letting us know that there are other warriors capable of fighting.

You have missed out, Mongolians, Knights Templar, Jannisaries, Roman Legionaries, Highland Clansmen, Gauls/Germanic tribes, Alexanders Macadonian Army, Vangarian Gaurds and many more.

This topic is ridiculous, please may some one lock it for the reasons above.

b1gb0y

Allow to repost, because no one seems to be picking up on how stupid this thread is.

Its pretty obvious that the topic creator's opinion is those four are the greatest.  However, there is an "other" option, so even if he didn't list a single great army, we could still have a discussion.  I don't find this thread to be ridiculous or "stupid" in any way.
Sgt_Homonculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Sgt_Homonculus
Member since 2006 • 1764 Posts
The Viking Ulfsarks as individuals, the Swiss Phalanx as a group. The Zulus get an honourable mention...
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#182 Franklinstein
Member since 2004 • 7017 Posts

I'm not saying Spartans because of 300. I've always known that they were the greatest warriors in history. Ever since World Civilizations 101 in my freshmen year of college.

but... btw 300 is an awesome movie.

Mr_Manikin52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Mr_Manikin52
Member since 2004 • 12300 Posts
[QUOTE="Mr_Manikin52"]

The Ancient Chinese

ShuLordLiuPei

As an army, I'd have to agree they were one of the greatest.

For sure!

ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#184 ct1257860
Member since 2006 • 4441 Posts
spartons sorry but i dont have a reason.
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Def_Jef88
The Macedonians could probably beat anything on that list...
Avatar image for deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
deactivated-60a3c754d0a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
Member since 2002 • 9782 Posts

General Schwarzkopf. Not only did he kick ass and do his job efficiently, but he gave the best press conferences ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG1G7dpYl9w

eddy_of_york

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 eddy_of_york
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
Ninja? Assasin's count as warriors? Cus if thats the case I have to go with the british commandos and secret operatives of the nineteenth century.
eddy_of_york

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 eddy_of_york
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
The Macedonians could probably beat anything on that list...Def_Jef88
Yea...thats why they always send to the Spartans for help...
Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts
The Samurai were some of the very best warriors ever known...I can't decide between them and the Spartans...
Avatar image for MrJesusisnthere
MrJesusisnthere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 MrJesusisnthere
Member since 2006 • 239 Posts
crusaders