Got fired from Tim Hortons on first day, can I apply to another one?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

action1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 action1234
Member since 2006 • 958 Posts

So a few weeks ago was my first day working at Tim Hortons as a dishwasher/busboy. For the first few hours, I was working at one TH location and then they told me go to another Tim Hortons location. I assumed they temporarily put me at another location (after what happened) because there was no boss currently at the location I started at and they wanted to see me work and evaluate me.

So I went into the new Tim Hortons location, waited for the boss to show up and he gave me my uniform to work. After changing, I went up to him in his office and asked him if I can start working. He turns to me and gives me this lost, confused look...like he'd never seen me before...it was later on when he fired me that I found out what the look meant.

So he showed me to the person who was going to train me and I did everything he told me to and understood what he was saying about cleaning, taking the garbage out, etc. We were together for about 20-30 minutes before he left me on my own for a while to dry trays and put the paper ads on them. I was doing that for about a minute or two on my own when the boss who gave that lost, confused look saw passed by me and was like "You know what I think? I think this job isn't for you. You're not fast enough and you took too long to get changed. Go home. I would suggest finding a job at a grocery store or something like that."

I thought he was joking at first and I argued with him and asked for a second chance to show him I'd work faster. But he refused, made up crap excuses like "I don't have time for this..." I couldn't FREAKIN believe it. Are some employers really like this?? Won't even warn you or give you a second chance??? I even took a little bit longer getting changed because a woman in the office tried to find a hanger for me to hang my jacket and I had to put my backpack on the shelf...

The interview for this job was just as confusing/surprising as getting fired. I went into Tim Hortons to give my application and another boss was interviewing someone kid who was wearing regular street clothes. I looked and thought "WTF?" I'm dressed somewhat decent just applying for a job and this street kid is getting interviewed. I got interviewed on the spot as I applied for the job. One thing that was odd about it was he didn't even ask me why I left my last job. But I guess it was okay since it said the reason on my application form. He also asked me how fast I would evaluate myself on a scale from 1 - 10. I actually said 10, just to get the job. Maybe that was the problem? But still, couldn't they still warn me when they saw me working slow? Also, I didn't get much sleep the night before and I was a little tired too give my full best effort. He also gave me the job right at the end of the interview.

So can I apply to another Tim Hortons location? Would every Tim Hortons location have me on file that I've already worked at one and know I got fired on day 1? I learned my lesson and promise I'll work faster (and get more sleep the night before). What do you guys think?

Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

:lol: as if you got fired from TIM HORTONS?!?!

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

Hey, apply and see if you get through.

If later they discover you got fired, tell them you were confused since they gave you a uniform and everything.

Then ask your new boss if you think you can do the job. If he agrees, then you say 'See? I knew I could the job, and I knew my previous manager was mistaken.' or something like that.

I would apply just to apply the experiement above. You'll make your old boss look like a jerk if your new boss actually think you can work.

You have nothing to lose.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

If later they discover you got fired, tell them you were confused since they gave you a uniform and everything.

Then ask your new boss if you think you can do the job. If he agrees, then you say 'See? I knew I could the job, and I knew my previous manager was mistaken.' or something like that.

I would apply just to apply the experiement above. You'll make your old boss look like a jerk if your new boss actually think you can work.

flazzle

The old boss won't care. He's found a new person to do the job right. Don't waste your time and find something else. Life isn't always fair you know. Sounds like a noob boss though, I worked a bit slow on my first job and they warned me. After that everything went well and picked up the pace.

ToppledPillars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ToppledPillars
Member since 2010 • 1590 Posts
Be a marine biologist!! =D
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
So...he fired you after you worked for like 30 minutes? Either the guy is an idiot or you were going really, really slowly.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
9/10. Would have been an 8, but you got me with the street kid bit.
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 flazzle

9/10. Would have been an 8, but you got me with the street kid bit.jimmyjammer69

I would think a 7/10 myself. And the street kid bit doesn't apply IMO

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

I had no idea it was possible to be fired from Tim Hortons.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 flazzle

[QUOTE="flazzle"]

LustForSoul

The old boss won't care. He's found a new person to do the job right. Don't waste your time and find something else. Life isn't always fair you know. Sounds like a noob boss though, I worked a bit slow on my first job and they warned me. After that everything went well and picked up the pace.

You assume the old boss is compentant. According to the poster, he feels opposite. I see it as an opportuntiy to expose him and make the boss look like the fool he is. How do you know he wasn't doing it right?

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
lol its fast food chains are one of the worst places to work. He did you a favour.
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
You must have been working really slow to get fired in the first 30 minutes.
Gator08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Gator08
Member since 2006 • 1459 Posts

I had no idea it was possible to be fired from Tim Hortons.

Da_lil_PimP

are you guys kidding me I worked there for 2 years and by the time i quit everyone i started with had been fired. They fired you at the end of the 3 month probation if you werent fast enough. its actually a very stressful job working drivethru and serving people in the morning when its hella busy. I can actually see this being true. Maybe the one i worked at was just particularly brutal, but the supervisors got paid the same as regular employees.. isnt that like illegal? anywayy... you can apply wherever you want there is no rule. just apply to a tim hortons owned by a different guy.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

WOW.

IDK if you really can but sue them for that crap. about you took to long change your clothing...

BUT

In a real restaurant where it's not franchise dishwasher get treated like crap dude.

A When the restaurant is closing and your not finished washing dishes You will stay until everyone is done or you wont have a job...

b I seen a chef literally go berserk on dishwasher because when he picked up a clean pot some water got on him. Ok you guys think hell kitchen guy is bad but it's really worse with some chefs

C i seen a chef kick the mop bucket because the new dishwasher didn't know about slop mob was. Slop mob is when you put soapy water on the floor let it sit for few mins and go back mop it up. So the chef kicks the bucket all the water every where told him mop it up then when he was done told him GTFO.

This crap usealy happens to new ones because ones whos been in the restaurant bussiness they know the deal

Avatar image for michael_1234576
michael_1234576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 michael_1234576
Member since 2004 • 8621 Posts
wear a disguise and apply again, I suggest a mustache.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Probably more to it.

Could be financial (Decided he couldnt afford and didnt want to cut hours) or Personal ( maybe a buddy asked for employment shortly after you were hired) either way I don't think it had anything to do with your performance if everything you said was true.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#17 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
That guy's a jerk. I'd have given you an hour to prove yourself. :P
amsterdamSHAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 amsterdamSHAM
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
honestly yu didnt do anything wrong, every job has a learning curve to it and i've workd at timmys befor and its a pree fast pace job. nobody on their first day would b able to keep up, especialy not alone. if u apply at another tim hortons let them kno the full story of what had happened and you seem like a good kid so if yu get hired they will make sure to properly train you. they wont hire you if u tell them youve never wrkd at tim hortons cuz they do checks to see what jobs u've wrkd at and if u've wrkd with their company thats the first thing that they'll see. if u lied about it ur chance are shot. but if u tell them the whole story they will see u've been treated wrong yet yu still wanna wrk with them which shud give u a good chance. another thing ppl dont realize is the reason corperations like Facebook exsits is to make you willingly give out information about ur self that they sell to advertisment agencys. that is why when you owe a company money a collection agency will pay ur debt for you and find you make u pay them back with interest. the collection agency always goes to apple first because they use the info u enter on ur iphone, itunes, and apple computers. i had a realy good resume and good references but i wasn't getting jobs, then i changed my facebook name and all of a sudden i was getting call backs. what was going on was that every where i had interveiws with looked on my facebook and saw that i had graduated for Somking Weed Academy, and majored in doing cocaine and employers didn't like this. good luck hopefully i was helpfull
RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

Managers at fast food restuarants are the biggest pricks of life. They have to take out their miserable little lives out on other people below them. It's one of the worst hierarchy systems in the job industry. It's not just the managers, it goes higher up in rank to the CEOs who created this system to make people expendable and give them the worst wages which one can barely live on.

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
honestly yu didnt do anything wrong, every job has a learning curve to it and i've workd at timmys befor and its a pree fast pace job. nobody on their first day would b able to keep up, especialy not alone. if u apply at another tim hortons let them kno the full story of what had happened and you seem like a good kid so if yu get hired they will make sure to properly train you. they wont hire you if u tell them youve never wrkd at tim hortons cuz they do checks to see what jobs u've wrkd at and if u've wrkd with their company thats the first thing that they'll see. if u lied about it ur chance are shot. but if u tell them the whole story they will see u've been treated wrong yet yu still wanna wrk with them which shud give u a good chance. another thing ppl dont realize is the reason corperations like Facebook exsits is to make you willingly give out information about ur self that they sell to advertisment agencys. that is why when you owe a company money a collection agency will pay ur debt for you and find you make u pay them back with interest. the collection agency always goes to apple first because they use the info u enter on ur iphone, itunes, and apple computers. i had a realy good resume and good references but i wasn't getting jobs, then i changed my facebook name and all of a sudden i was getting call backs. what was going on was that every where i had interveiws with looked on my facebook and saw that i had graduated for Somking Weed Academy, and majored in doing cocaine and employers didn't like this. good luck hopefully i was helpfull amsterdamSHAM
lmao it's been 2 years brah what are you doing
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
It depends on who owns it. Tim Horton's is franchised, meaning each location can have a different owner. You were moved to a different location because that particular franchisee owns both locations. If you want to apply at another location, make sure it's not owned by the same guy.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

WOW.

IDK if you really can but sue them for that crap. about you took to long change your clothing...

BUT

In a real restaurant where it's not franchise dishwasher get treated like crap dude.

A When the restaurant is closing and your not finished washing dishes You will stay until everyone is done or you wont have a job...

b I seen a chef literally go berserk on dishwasher because when he picked up a clean pot some water got on him. Ok you guys think hell kitchen guy is bad but it's really worse with some chefs

C i seen a chef kick the mop bucket because the new dishwasher didn't know about slop mob was. Slop mob is when you put soapy water on the floor let it sit for few mins and go back mop it up. So the chef kicks the bucket all the water every where told him mop it up then when he was done told him GTFO.

This crap usealy happens to new ones because ones whos been in the restaurant bussiness they know the deal

k2theswiss
You can be fired for any reason or no reason at all as long as it is within the probation period.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

your boss was just being a jerk. i would advise you to look elsewhere for employment though unless you are a teenager. working in fast food restuarants sucks.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#24 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
If the story is true and you got fired, why would you want to work at another one when they have managers like that?
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Employers can choose to hire and fire whomever they want, for wherever reason they want (so long as they can justify it to a labour board and aren't restricted by a union). The fact you got fired on your first day from a Tim Horton's (essentially the lowest of the low in terms of food service turnover, next to probably McDonalds) should tell you something about your work ethic. You should apply at another business and work harder from the first second you show up.