Google Glass is dumb

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

On top of being an eyesore, it lacks practical use. At home, people could just use a computer instead. In public, people could just use a quieter smartphone instead. And for obvious reasons it should not be used while driving. Where am I supposed to use it?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@drekula2 said:

On top of being an eyesore, it lacks practical use. At home, people could just use a computer instead. In public, people could just use a quieter smartphone instead. And for obvious reasons it should not be used while driving. Where am I supposed to use it?

1.) They've only released prototypes, no-one knows what they'll actually look like.

2.) Yes, or they could use their tablets, or their smartphones, or their smart TV's while at home...Your point?

3.) How are smartphones any quieter?

4.) Actually, considering it provides GPS, Bluetooth phone answering, as well as a range of other things, it could be used while driving.

Seems you need to research Google Glass just a little more before you can senselessly bash it.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

The whole idea is dumb, doesn't matter how well it is designed or what it can/can't do.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nibroc420

@Blueresident87 said:

The whole idea is dumb, doesn't matter how well it is designed or what it can/can't do.

The concept has already solved a few crimes...

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

@drekula2 said:

1.) They've only released prototypes, no-one knows what they'll actually look like.

2.) Yes, or they could use their tablets, or their smartphones, or their smart TV's while at home...Your point?

4.) Actually, considering it provides GPS, Bluetooth phone answering, as well as a range of other things, it could be used while driving.

Seems you need to research Google Glass just a little more before you can senselessly bash it.

Smartphones are quieter because they're not almost exclusively voice activated.

Google glass in their current prototype state are so friggin stupid. It's awesome, I can't wait to see people wearing them so I can point and laugh.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Lots of opinions from people who know nothing about the actual glasses or are incredibly close minded. I am personally still disappointed that they won't be "true augmented reality" glasses.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

@drekula2 said:

1. In any case it's going to be a relatively bulky body somewhere along with a thick glass slab for the display.

2. Yea, you have tonnes of alternatives everywhere. Why would you want this if practically all the functionality it provides is already covered by smartphones.

3. Don't work exclusively through voice commands, all this is Google Now with a HUD.

4. But to get Bluetooth phone answering you need a Android 4.0.3 Smartphone, for which you can buy a stand and Bluetooth headset for like... 40$, and get identical functionality.

Hell, the damned smartwatch bull crap running around everywhere is better than this. The only people who I could see using this would be hardcore businesses-men.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#8 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

@Blueresident87 said:

The concept has already solved a few crimes...

Awesome, because in no way could the concept be used to commit one

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

To me, it's only dumb because it's tied to your phone and has a poor battery. If it was a fully enclosed system that lasted for a long time with a battery charge, it'd be useful to me.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

I highly doubt you have even tried it.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I'm getting it soon as I can afford it. And a Google smart watch. And a Google car. >_>

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

Lots of opinions from people who know nothing about the actual glasses or are incredibly close minded. I am personally still disappointed that they won't be "true augmented reality" glasses.

As a person who has actually had the chance to try them out for a weekend I'm sad to say I was fairly disappointed. They don't have many applications, they didn't connect to the internet particularly well, and they mostly just felt awkward leaving the side of my face incredibly hot. They are still an incredibly cool concept, and I want to see it become great, but aside from my girlfriend's fascination with the concept of getting to take pictures with your eye (she's a photographer) it was not something I would currently recommend.

Me because pics or it didn't happen.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

I had the pleasure of trying one over a month ago and it's like nothing I imagined it to be.

Original assumptions before trying it was exactly what I'm reading in this topic. I thought it would be an eyesore; there is no need for it; and how annoying it would be for anyone around me knowing I was using it. What would be useful however is recording video and taking photos, making it to publish in a timely fashion.

I stumbled upon a guy at a publisher/developer event and asked him what he thought about it. I didn't recognize that it was Google Glass immediately. He actually told people he was checking his email for something we were discussing for me to realize he was wearing one. I thought I would notice it on anyone immediately but it could have been the lighting in the building. He handed the glasses over without a second thought and told me to try it.

The verbal commands were really easy and very responsive. Rubbing the frame to scroll through news, emails or contacts was kind of funny looking on other people. But.it didn't feel awkward when I did the same. The glass appearance up in the corner was less of an eyesore for some reason. Granted, I didn't use it for hours on end; probably a good 8 minutes but I didn't have any problems seeing videos, images, and news. The glass was small enough for me to see but I could look stragith at everyone around me to continue talking to them. I'd say it has much more potential and if you find someone with Google Glass, see if you can test drive it. :)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@drekula2 said:

1) Design is not final yet.
2) What is more practical than a wearable smartphone?
3) See #2.
4) See #2.
5) People shouldn't, but they will.

This is the first step to more subtle wearable of science fiction. I'm not sure why you would have a problem with this. Technology always moves in baby steps and almost never jumps ahead 25 years at a time.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

@drekula2 said:

1) Design is not final yet.

2) What is more practical than a wearable smartphone?

3) See #2.

4) See #2.

5) People shouldn't, but they will.

This is the first step to more subtle wearable of science fiction. I'm not sure why you would have a problem with this. Technology always moves in baby steps and almost never jumps ahead 25 years at a time.

why didn't you just make 3 points? and the mass relays made us jump technology 200 years, according to anderson

TOPIC: it does seem to be needlessly futuristic technology, and it's also really creepy, if i saw someone wearing them, walking in the same direction as me, i'd immediately switch directions

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

if only they release to the public as snake eyes ....

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Tell me when they're contact lenses.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nibroc420

@SolidSnake35 said:

Tell me when they're contact lenses.

China has already put LEDs into contacts

EDIT:

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/515666/contact-lens-computer-like-google-glass-without-the-glasses/

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

the way i see google glass working is if it comes with a mini-remote.

there's no reason why i must announce to everyone around me what im googling. no other device requires you to do that.

linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By linkyshinks
Member since 2006 • 1332 Posts

I think such technology certainly has a future. after all, It can be utilised in a myriad of different ways, For instance, use in medical clinics where being able to draw information while on the move can be vital to saving lives. and as an educational tool, and in creating new entertainment experiences inside and outside of your home (symbiosis with AR), Dedicated applications will show it's worth over what we currently deem conventional devices eventually, of that I'm confident. There will be hurdles to overcome, and that may take some time, but not much I imagine. The tech consumers and business community are ravenous for technology that aids productivity..

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#21 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

na you are dumb. I can't wait for them to grow beyond what they are ATM.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_lance
Lone_Wolf_Lance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 Lone_Wolf_Lance
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

Is it anything like the glasses of the FBI agent in Heavy Rain?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

One thing I will say about them is if you plan to get a pair be careful where you wear them. There are some people out there threatening to physically assault anybody they see wearing them out of fear they are using the glasses to spy on them or take unwanted pictures. Before you say it's all talk, it's already happened over a misunderstanding.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

Really, to be honest I'm sick hearing about it. I don't think they are practical and really do we honestly have to have glasses and watches connecting to the internet and answering phone calls? The mobile market in general whether it is phones, tablets, and now watches is becoming so over saturated and ridiculous that I don't even care with what they come out with. Similar to having a COD and an Assassins Creed come out every year, they just need to take a break. I love technology, I love to see new stuff, but this wave of mobile stuff is just too much.

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

@drekula2: on a nude beach