Godzilla - Official Trailer is FINALLY Here

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

Here it is, folks--the first OFFICIAL trailer for this May's upcoming film, Godzilla.

It's definitely has me curious. No doubt they'll be a few more trailers between now and May 16, but I'm looking forward to this.

How about the rest of OT--Worth a look, or pass on it?

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

Looked nice, especially the beginning with the guys jumping and falling through the sky. But when Godzilla yelled... it kinda sounded weird, like an angry sheep.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

FINALLY! Seems like I've been waiting ages.

EDIT : This is the trailer that was leaked a while ago. At least it's in better quality :)

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

this is going to be the 2001 of monsters-destroying-a-city movies! :P

anyway, i guess i'm glad that they aren't making it a found footage movie or anything, but it also seems to be taking itself more seriously than i might with a godzilla movie.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Needs more Matthew Broderick.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Movie definitely has loads of potential! Will be keeping my eye on this. Might be a perfect movie to see on a huge IMAX screen.

Is it just me or does Godzilla seem to be bigger than before? Thing is looking ENORMOUS!

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Quality actors. Glad they didn't showed Godzilla completely. Looks fine.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Movie definitely has loads of potential! Will be keeping my eye on this. Might be a perfect movie to see on a huge IMAX screen.

Is it just me or does Godzilla seem to be bigger than before? Thing is looking ENORMOUS!

I remember reading somewhere that the size is supposed to be the largest he's been to date. But this begs to be seen on IMAX.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Well it kinda looks like crap to this point

Bryan Cranston crying? Really?

If it's a movie that's all about the people then it's going to be awful. No one goes into a Godzilla movie caring what happens to the people. From the look of this trailer it looks like they're going to have a character that's a soldier, that's a big no no in the Godzilla universe.

I'm a little worried that Godzilla's head and neck are all one segment. Makes me think of Ferris Godzilla.

I don't understand why American movies need to do this with giant monsters. The Japanese handle Godzilla very well, made him a worldwide phenomenon doing what they do. They focus on Godzilla and other monsters and use the human characters to establish franchise history and to move the film along. This movie looks like the human characters are the main point of the story, that's a really bad sign.

The roar is better than what we heard previously. I don't know what that roar is for in that scene but it's done better than earlier teases.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I remember reading somewhere that the size is supposed to be the largest he's been to date. But this begs to be seen on IMAX.

That is cool to know!

And yeah, can't miss this one on IMAX. I'm already mad that I missed out on seeing Pacific Rim in IMAX...

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@Jaysonguy said:

If it's a movie that's all about the people then it's going to be awful. No one goes into a Godzilla movie caring what happens to the people. From the look of this trailer it looks like they're going to have a character that's a soldier, that's a big no no in the Godzilla universe.

I'm a little worried that Godzilla's head and neck are all one segment. Makes me think of Ferris Godzilla.

I don't understand why American movies need to do this with giant monsters. The Japanese handle Godzilla very well, made him a worldwide phenomenon doing what they do. They focus on Godzilla and other monsters and use the human characters to establish franchise history and to move the film along. This movie looks like the human characters are the main point of the story, that's a really bad sign.

The roar is better than what we heard previously. I don't know what that roar is for in that scene but it's done better than earlier teases.

There's going to be more than just one monster in it, so there's that. I think they're just focusing on the humans for the this trailer so as not save the money shots as the release date draws near.

As far as there being a soldier as one of the main characters, why is that a bad thing?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy

@hallenbeck77 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

There's going to be more than just one monster in it, so there's that. I think they're just focusing on the humans for the this trailer so as not save the money shots as the release date draws near.

As far as there being a soldier as one of the main characters, why is that a bad thing?

I hope that's why they included so many shots of people reacting to things.

What scares me is that the director is one of those touchy feely people and that could work for certain monsters, maybe even Kong, but not Godzilla.

As far as a soldier they're the the same as red shirts in Star Trek. I don't even watch Star Trek but I know that the guys in red shirts get killed fast, they're killing fodder.

The only exception in the Godzilla universe is if that soldier played a specific role earlier in the Godzilla franchise.

I'm a big Godzilla fan and just don't want another Ferris Godzilla.

Have you seen the newest Gamera movies? I think those are close to perfect how you can incorporate suitmation monsters, CGI, and character stories into a modern monster movie.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@Jaysonguy said:

I hope that's why they included so many shots of people reacting to things.

What scares me is that the director is one of those touchy feely people and that could work for certain monsters, maybe even Kong, but not Godzilla.

As far as a soldier they're the the same as red shirts in Star Trek. I don't even watch Star Trek but I know that the guys in red shirts get killed fast, they're killing fodder.

The only exception in the Godzilla universe is if that soldier played a specific role earlier in the Godzilla franchise.

I'm a big Godzilla fan and just don't want another Ferris Godzilla.

Have you seen the newest Gamera movies? I think those are close to perfect how you can incorporate suitmation monsters, CGI, and character stories into a modern monster movie.

I'm not sure if you've ever read some of the Godzilla comics, but the one that comes to mind is The Half-Century War. It tells the story of a soldier and starting with his first encounter with Godzilla, chronicles five decades of his life and his obsession with trying to bring him down. I think it was a great story that while it had a strong human element, still managed to give Godzilla the proper recognition and respect it deserves.

I'm not sure how the story in the upcoming movie is going to play out, but the director and Legendary Pictures have been working very closely with Toho Co. in just about all aspects of the film--they even approved of the final creature design before production even began, I believe--so I seriously doubt it's going to be anything remotely close to what Roland Emmerich had done back in the '90s. I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt.

I didn't realize they even made newer Gamera movies. The only ones I've seen were the ones that were featured in the T.V. show Mystery Science Theater 3000.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

Bryan Cranston? Juliette Binoche? Sally Hawkins? Elizabeth Olsen?

Not bad.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

that 2001 monolith music was a nice creepy touch

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 ZimpanX
Member since 2005 • 12636 Posts

Looks way better than expected, I'm intrigued.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jaysonguy

@hallenbeck77 said:

I didn't realize they even made newer Gamera movies. The only ones I've seen were the ones that were featured in the T.V. show Mystery Science Theater 3000.

MST3K fan makes me like you more

Here's all three Gamera movies for under 10 bucks on BluRay

http://www.amazon.com/Trilogy-Guardian-Universe-Revenge-Blu-ray/dp/B005ENCIWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386707739&sr=8-1&keywords=gamera+bluray

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

that 2001 monolith music was a nice creepy touch

Ha, I thought I was hearing things :D

I like it, seems pretty tense and it feels like it has a great atmosphere.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

'2001' score at the beginning was great. Good cast. Still doesn't really have me totally hyped though.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

The only thing I didn't like was that the ending shot was re-used from the earlier trailer, but beyond that was fantastic.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#21  Edited By Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

I was excited for this movie like two years ago when I heard they are making a Godzilla movie. May will be a busy month for movies with Amazing Spiderman 2 and Godzilla.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

I'm sold.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OmitName
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

i had never heard of gamera before. ♥ google

later gamera

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Looks pretty hokey to me. Can't say I'm dying to see another monster film.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Thank you for posting the trailer. ^_^

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26 chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

Im pretty damn excited to see the movie now, I have been following it for years and I never thought it would get released, but it was worth the wait great trailer. I really liked how dark the tone was and how well they established Godzilla as a huge indestructible force.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

this looks like a movie I'll pay money to see :-)

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@LoG-Sacrament said:

this is going to be the 2001 of monsters-destroying-a-city movies! :P

anyway, i guess i'm glad that they aren't making it a found footage movie or anything, but it also seems to be taking itself more seriously than i might with a godzilla movie.

This. One of the things that the director wanted was to evoke was the tone of the original 1954 movie, and I think he just might pull it off. I got a sense of dread and fear just when they revealed the ruins of the city. It almost feels like a horror movie, in a way.

Come to think of it, I wonder if this will give little kids bad dreams.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@f22_king_raptor said:

Needs more Matthew Broderick.

negetive.

on Topic: looks awesome , looking forward to it :)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

looks real sweet.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Awesome......i hope it will be good.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

OMG!!!! i wonder if the spec-ops team is to investigate a nuke storage facility and it just happened that godzilla is in the scene...

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

Cool! Although, its hard to tell if the movie's gonna be any good or not. Trailers are rarely indicative of a movie's quality. I just kinda hope that the roar is better. Wasn't into the roar in the trailer. Why not keep the roar that Godzilla has had for decades?

Side note: Why drop not-heavily-armed paratroopers through thunderclouds to fight Godzilla?

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

I am excited for this. I'll be in theaters to see this for sure.

Mulligan1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36 Mulligan1982
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

the trailer is awesome
i love the new godzilla!
i love the new movie!
i love bryan cranston!