Godzilla - new trailer

#1 Edited by Qixote (10778 posts) -

New Asian trailer out today (has Asian subtitles). Shows alot more than we have seen before. Maybe a bit too much (spoilers). What you think? Excited or ho-hum?

Godzilla trailer

#2 Posted by byof_america (1433 posts) -

I swear my city pays for cameo appearances in EVERY FREAKING MOVIE!

's all good, mo' tourist, mo' money, mo' b!tches.

#3 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -
  • I found the "god" line to be cringe-worthy. In fact, the entire scene in which that line is delivered is cringe-worthy.
  • They should not have revealed Godzilla's full appearance; that revelation should have been saved for the actual movie.
  • I will still see this movie.
#4 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Thanks for linking it for people who want to watch it, but I am going to pass on watching that trailer. I want to be surprised when watching that movie on opening day :D

#5 Posted by uninspiredcup (12137 posts) -

Wait, was that mothra? I'm confused. Is it just Godzilla in this movie?

#6 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14585 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: The producers said there is more than one monster in the movie. A lot of people think it may be Rodan or Mothra, but they are supposed to be new creatures.

#7 Edited by LZ71 (10324 posts) -

I just hope it's fun. I'll be seeing it because my dad really loves the Godzilla movies, and I don't really give a shit how good it is as long as they make it entertaining enough. Which sounds obvious, but from the trailers I've seen it looks like they're going for a dead serious vibe.

#8 Edited by BranKetra (49507 posts) -

Godzilla's roar will probably sound better in IMAX than it does on my laptop.

#9 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14585 posts) -

@LZ71 said:

I just hope it's fun. I'll be seeing it because my dad really loves the Godzilla movies, and I don't really give a shit how good it is as long as they make it entertaining enough. Which sounds obvious, but from the trailers I've seen it looks like they're going for a dead serious vibe.

They're going for the tone of the original 1954 film. Serious or not, this is the one movie I'm definitely going to see in theaters instead of waiting for the Blu-Ray.

#10 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17686 posts) -

God I cannot WAIT for this movie! Been sooo hyped for this one!

The Raid 2 has been my fav movie so far in this surprisingly good movie year, but this one could definitely top it!

#11 Edited by chernoalpha527 (169 posts) -

Super pumped can't wait, already bought advanced tickets.

#12 Edited by Korvus (6787 posts) -

I'll watch it, it looks decent enough, although I always think it's weird that all of a sudden there's a bunch of monsters roaming around out of nowhere...it's strange enough that something as big as Godzilla went undetected for long enough for him to grow to that size but now there's flying ones too? How did THEY remain undetected? No "it's been living in the deepest ocean" crap for him...That might have worked in the 50's when everybody was too awe-struck with the premise to pay attention to "details", but now it's a bit ridiculous.

I quite liked the 1998 one, so I guess we'll see...

Also, why is it so important to everyone not to see Godzilla beforehand? It's not like we don't know "who" the monster is so no suspense there...whether he's green and scaly or pink and smooth doesn't make that much difference, does it?

#13 Edited by joehult (374 posts) -

Looks like a fun summer blockbuster. But what is up with the studios releasing their heavy hitters in May. Looking ahead this summer, June and July are just bare. Why not save a few of them for those months, and maximize your profits. Seems like since marvel made a killing with April/may releases, now everyone is flooding this month.

#14 Edited by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

I'm still on the fence about it. Pacific Rim looked cool from the previews and that movie turned out to be a flop. If this rendition follows the same patterns as the previous versions, then I'm sure we can all figure out the ending...or at least the end of this movie before the sequel.

It seems like every few years as technology gets better they re-release the same movies to show off how great CGI is nowadays. That's all good and well, and probably a blast to see in IMAX 3D, but if it's all glitz and glamour on the surface and lacks any real depth to plot, I won't waste my time. Movie tickets aren't exactly cheap (especially 3d IMAX), so I'll save my money for a movie that can combine all elements well.

#15 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17686 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

I'm still on the fence about it. Pacific Rim looked cool from the previews and that movie turned out to be a flop. If this rendition follows the same patterns as the previous versions, then I'm sure we can all figure out the ending...or at least the end of this movie before the sequel.

It seems like every few years as technology gets better they re-release the same movies to show off how great CGI is nowadays. That's all good and well, and probably a blast to see in IMAX 3D, but if it's all glitz and glamour on the surface and lacks any real depth to plot, I won't waste my time. Movie tickets aren't exactly cheap (especially 3d IMAX), so I'll save my money for a movie that can combine all elements well.

It looks like this is just a different take on the classic Godzilla story.

Not only is it better effects, but the tone of the movie appears to be WILDLY different from the earlier movies which had a more campy vibe. There seems to be real dread and a sense of terror in this movie.

#16 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@jasean79 said:

It looks like this is just a different take on the classic Godzilla story.

Not only is it better effects, but the tone of the movie appears to be WILDLY different from the earlier movies which had a more campy vibe. There seems to be real dread and a sense of terror in this movie.

Let's hope they achieve that level of suspense for viewers. We all know the Japanese are deathly afraid of even the cheesiest of Godzilla movies; here's hoping they can instill the same fear in American audiences as well!

#17 Posted by chernoalpha527 (169 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

How was Pacific Rim a flop to you?

#18 Edited by sukraj (23754 posts) -

Real sweet trailor

#19 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

@chernoalpha527 said:
@jasean79 said:

How was Pacific Rim a flop to you?

The acting, cheesy slow-paced storyline, predictability, no character build. It had all the elements of a flop movie. I think if I had watched this movie as a kid I would've loved it, but as an adult it just bored the hell out of me.

#20 Posted by Planeforger (16150 posts) -

@jasean79: So it'll be more in line with the 1954 original? That film was somber as hell. One big post-Hiroshima plea to stop testing nukes/other weapons

As for people worried about seeing too much of Godzilla...you guys clearly haven't seen many Godzilla films. He's often turns within the first few minutes, and you'd almost certainly have him appear fully out of the ocean within the first 30-40 mins.

Meanwhile, it'd be amazing if they insert old-school Mothra into a modern gritty Godzilla film. Amidst all of the carnage and angst, a giant felt moth would swoop by and cover Godzilla in space-glitter. That'd totally work on an Imax screen, too.

#21 Edited by LZ71 (10324 posts) -
@hallenbeck77 said:

@LZ71 said:

They're going for the tone of the original 1954 film. Serious or not, this is the one movie I'm definitely going to see in theaters instead of waiting for the Blu-Ray.

Thanks for clearing that up. To clarify, I don't need the movie to be campy to enjoy it (I like the older Godzilla movies myself). I was more hoping it wasn't a mess like Cloverfield, which failed (to me) to be either fun or a good film.

Regardless, you're right, this is a film that demands to be seen (and I'm excited to see) in the theaters.

#22 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17686 posts) -

@LZ71 said:
@hallenbeck77 said:

@LZ71 said:

Thanks for clearing that up. To clarify, I don't need the movie to be campy to enjoy it (I like the older Godzilla movies myself). I was more hoping it wasn't a mess like Cloverfield, which failed (to me) to be either fun or a good film.

Regardless, you're right, this is a film that demands to be seen (and I'm excited to see) in the theaters.

This definitely seems to me like it will be one of the best IMAX experiences one could have, or at least a movie that benefits AMAZINGLY from being in an IMAX setting.

Might be like Gravity to me where after seeing it in IMAX I am almost AFRAID to see it at home as I feel it will kill lots of the awe factor the movie had.

#23 Edited by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@uninspiredcup: The producers said there is more than one monster in the movie. A lot of people think it may be Rodan or Mothra, but they are supposed to be new creatures.

I'm not buying it, that's very plainly Rodan. Not sure how anyone can think that's a giant moth, we got a nice full view.

#24 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14585 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

I'm not buying it, that's very plainly Rodan. Not sure how anyone can think that's a giant moth, we got a nice full view.

If it were either actually Rodan or Mothra re-designs, I imagine they would have been revealed already, being that the marketing for the movies (like toys and other merchandising) have already revealed that the other creatures are called Mutos. In this day and age, it'd be next to impossible to have redesigns of other famous Toho creatures and NOT have actual confirmation of their existence already, especially with the movie opening in about 2 weeks.

#25 Posted by MrGeezer (56927 posts) -

Holy shit, I didn't know this was gonna have giant monsters fighting each other. I thought this was just gonna be more armies trying to stop Godzilla bullshit. Now I actually want to see this.

#26 Posted by slipknot0129 (5506 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:
  • I found the "god" line to be cringe-worthy. In fact, the entire scene in which that line is delivered is cringe-worthy.
  • They should not have revealed Godzilla's full appearance; that revelation should have been saved for the actual movie.
  • I will still see this movie.

How is it cringe worthy? He basically is a god,

#27 Posted by PSP107 (12182 posts) -

What is the plot of this movie?

I always wondered why there wasn't a sequel to the 1998 movie?

#28 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14585 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

Despite it being technically financially successful, it was despised by critics, fans, theater owners(for having a huge drop in ticket sales after the opening weekend) and licensees for being stuck with tons of unsold merchandise. By the time it was said and done, what was initially planned as a trilogy wound up getting nothing more than a animated spin-off series. Sony wound up cancelling the planned sequels and quietly sat on the rights until they went back to Toho in 2003.

#29 Posted by Chutebox (37980 posts) -

@byof_america said:

I swear my city pays for cameo appearances in EVERY FREAKING MOVIE!

's all good, mo' tourist, mo' money, mo' b!tches.

If you're referring to New York, that's not New York.

#30 Edited by PSP107 (12182 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@PSP107 said:

Despite it being technically financially successful, it was despised by critics, fans, theater owners(for having a huge drop in ticket sales after the opening weekend) and licensees for being stuck with tons of unsold merchandise.

Wow, I thought if it made money, then critics/fan reaction wouldn't matter.

Anyway, overall, I enjoyed the movie.

#31 Edited by Wanderer5 (25726 posts) -

Apparently Japanese fans think he too fat... even through Godzilla has look fat, clunky, chubby or whatever in a lot of his appearances including the original. Honestly sounds like they jelly of this version heh. Anyway nice trailer, through probably gave a bit too much, but seeing more of muto is cool.XD

#32 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14585 posts) -

@PSP107: It made enough money to be profitable, but it still underperformed to the studio's expectations. I guess they figured they were lucky despite the backlash, and it would probably be for the best by not pushing for a second film. The risk of losing money on it was too great.

And not for nothing, but it looked too much like an iguana for it to be intimidating.

#33 Edited by Curlyfrii87 (14980 posts) -

I'm not too excited for this one... not sure why

Oh well.

#34 Edited by PSP107 (12182 posts) -

@hallenbeck77:

$379,014,294 at the box office(worldwide) on a $130m budget.

I guess they figure a sequel would do less.

And I bet this upcoming movie will do less too.

#35 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14585 posts) -

@PSP107: I think this will definitely be much more better received than Sony's version. Plus with it opening in IMAX and 3D, it'll pull in that much more money. The 1998 version pulled in $136 million in its entire theatrical run in the US--This one has a good chance of pulling that in on its opening week alone.

#36 Edited by Wanderer5 (25726 posts) -

Ew glad there wasn't a sequel to that movie (and honestly they killed off Godzilla, which trying to bring it back could easily end up failing if they were going to go for a sequel). This one looks much more nicer, I can't wait.

#37 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14585 posts) -

@Wanderer5 said:

Ew glad there wasn't a sequel to that movie (and honestly they killed off Godzilla, which trying to bring it back could easily end up failing if they were going to go for a sequel). This one looks much more nicer, I can't wait.

For the animated series, one of the eggs that was in Madison Square Garden survived intact, and that's where the proposed sequels would have started I imagine. I still can't believe they killed it so easily with nothing more than just a few missiles when he got tangled in the Brooklyn Bridge. That was beyond anti-climatic.

#38 Posted by PSP107 (12182 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@PSP107: I think this will definitely be much more better received than Sony's version. Plus with it opening in IMAX and 3D, it'll pull in that much more money. The 1998 version pulled in $136 million in its entire theatrical run in the US--This one has a good chance of pulling that in on its opening week alone.

What's the competition? I think the 1998 movie had a lot.

#39 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14585 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

What's the competition? I think the 1998 movie had a lot.

This new one at least has more creatures than just Godzilla in it, Godzilla itself looks reconizable in this as opposed to the creature design they had for the '98 version, the filmmakers actually worked very closely with Toho in producing this--they're even distributing the movie in Japan. And the best thing of all...no Puff Daddy on the soundtrack.

#40 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26733 posts) -

Wasn't really too excited until this new trailer. Still have my doubts. Based on the footage and images I have seen, it appears that quite a lot happens, over an extended period of time, between a lot of different characters. Hard enough to do this competently for an action thriller, even harder to do it in only 2 hours. The director hasn't done anything that could support the idea that he can pull it off, so I will probably still wait for reviews before deciding to see it.

#41 Edited by PSP107 (12182 posts) -

@hallenbeck77:

lol, I meant what other movies are coming out along with Godzilla.

#42 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26733 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@hallenbeck77:

Captain America is still out and Spider-Man 2 will still be pretty fresh, and the new X-Men comes out the week after. You also have a family friendly film like Chef, one targeted towards children in Legends of Oz, and Neighbors is out the week before which will probably actually do pretty well. Then two weeks after you have Maleficent which has the whole Alice in Wonderland vibe, and that film made tons. Followed by the usual onslaught of summer blockbusters. In my eyes, this doesn't bode very well for Godzilla. The franchise isn't as popular in the US as in Japan by any means and the only other one US audiences remember is the 1998 version...which most wish they didn't remember at all. This may have staying power if critics and word of mouth is good...but I don't see it being a hit. But I could be wrong.

#43 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14585 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@hallenbeck77:

My bad. The weekend of its opening and the week before doesn't offer much, but the next two weeks after has both the X-Men sequel and Disney's Malificent.

#44 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17686 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

@PSP107 said:

@hallenbeck77:

Captain America is still out and Spider-Man 2 will still be pretty fresh, and the new X-Men comes out the week after. You also have a family friendly film like Chef, one targeted towards children in Legends of Oz, and Neighbors is out the week before which will probably actually do pretty well. Then two weeks after you have Maleficent which has the whole Alice in Wonderland vibe, and that film made tons. Followed by the usual onslaught of summer blockbusters. In my eyes, this doesn't bode very well for Godzilla. The franchise isn't as popular in the US as in Japan by any means and the only other one US audiences remember is the 1998 version...which most wish they didn't remember at all. This may have staying power if critics and word of mouth is good...but I don't see it being a hit. But I could be wrong.

I have seen a surprising amount of excitement from people I have talked to about the movie. I think their efforts will pay off.

#45 Posted by PSP107 (12182 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@PSP107 said:

@hallenbeck77:

My bad. The weekend of its opening and the week before doesn't offer much, but the next two weeks after has both the X-Men sequel and Disney's Malificent.

So it will be tough to beat the 1998's financial success. And 1998 had some major releases too(I think)

#46 Edited by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@hallenbeck77: Yeah, I saw another trailer in which we see a monster face through a window that isn't Godzilla, seems like that definitely isn't Rodan. It almost looks like a touched up Megaguirus. Which is not encouraging, that was the worst millennium series Godzilla movie, easily.

#47 Edited by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@Wanderer5 said:

Apparently Japanese fans think he too fat... even through Godzilla has look fat, clunky, chubby or whatever in a lot of his appearances including the original. Honestly sounds like they jelly of this version heh. Anyway nice trailer, through probably gave a bit too much, but seeing more of muto is cool.XD

Pffft, whatever. Millennium Godzilla was a rather chunky suit, and the one diversion in the Millennium series, the "possessed" suit for Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack had thunder thighs. (best Godzilla suit ever, for my money… and best use and emphasis of the power of the atomic breath blast) The only time I can remember Godzilla being anything near skinny was his extremely tall version on the nineties movies like Godzilla versus Space Godzilla, and the ludicrous suit that looked like a puppy in the face and acted like a giant goofy super hero from the bulk of the Showa series.

#48 Posted by byof_america (1433 posts) -

@Chutebox: referring to Vegas

#49 Posted by Chutebox (37980 posts) -

@byof_america said:

@Chutebox: referring to Vegas

Ah, gotcha

#50 Posted by indzman (19813 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@LZ71 said:

Why so much interest on new Godzilla ? anything we haven't seen before or something ? I'm planning to see it too, 1998 version was dissapointing tho. Last saw King Kong VS Godzilla ( a Jap movie on Godzilla lol ).