Georgia cop kills teenager for holding a wiimote.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

A teenager was shot and killed in an officer-involved shooting Friday night in Euharlee.

The GBI said Christopher Roupe, 17, was shot while Euharlee Police officers were serving arrest warrants at a Euharlee residence. A GBI spokesperson told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the teen opened the door and pointed a gun at officers. An officer reportedly fired one shot.

The Daily Tribune in Cartersville reported the incident took place at the Eagle View Mobile Home Park in Euharlee.

The teen was taken to Cartersville Medical Center, where he died, according to the Tribune.

http://cartersville.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/euharlee-teen-killed-in-officerinvolved-shooting

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/19/georgia-cop-fatally-shoots-teen-boy-who-was-holding-a-wii-video-game-controller/

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/attorney-teen-was-shot-having-wii-controller-hand/ndSrL/

Seriously? What the hell was wrong with that cop?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Will have to wait for more details before I can say much of anything.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

It depends, did he opened the door and was already pointing with the remote even if he opened the door and then proceeded to point that is a no-no, how the hell is the officer suppose to know that wasn't a gun? The kid was 17, should have known better.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Sounds about right.

And as for the question of "how is the officer supposed to know it wasn't a gun?" Please do show me a gun that looks anything like a Wiimote. Shit like that is literally part of a police officer's training. Being able to tell if the shit in someone's hand is a weapon. They take training courses for that, and have to pass tests to get into the force.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I've doubts that the teen pointed the Wiimote at the officers, that was probably reported by the officer after the fact to avoid accountability for the incident. I read a response from the family's lawyer regarding the pointing of the remote...

“We don’t know where that statement came from. The eyewitnesses on the scene clearly state that he had a Wii controller in his hand. He heard a knock at the door. He asked who it was, there was no response so he opened the door and upon opening the door he was immediately shot in the chest.”

Cops know what to say. Shoot an unarmed person he was pointing something or reaching for something or made made a step toward me. Anybody can be suspicious just by throwing in the term "furtive movements". This is why cops need body cameras. They can put cameras on tasers they should do the same for firearms as well. This way we can put to rest this their word against mine bullshit.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

A cop here has said things are not as easy as people are making out in these kinds of situations

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

While I don't mean to be the dickhead because of course this is a bummer, but in these stories, people always seem to bash the police, when in reality hundreds of thousands of them did their job correctly that same day.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Cop fucked up.

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

@dave123321 said:

Will have to wait for more details before I can say much of anything.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@dave123321 said:

A cop here has said things are not as easy as people are making out in these kinds of situations

don't be a cop then

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

More details are needed in this story before I pass judgement on the officer. Was it obvious to the officer it wasn't a gun? A black Wiimote with the lights dim could easily be mistaken for a pistol in the heat of the moment. You can say otherwise but when your heart is beating fast and you don't know what's on the other side of that door you may mess up.

Just my opinion. Especially since in my opinion my ability to feed my family, my freedom, and possibly the safety of my family (retaliation attacks) aren't worth the so-called thrill cop haters think a police officer gets from shooting random people they don't like for whatever reason.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

That's odd, the cop knocked on the door and the kid asked who it was and no one responded, is the cop supposed to atleast say "Police" or something? I think if the officer actually identified herself this entire debacle could of been prevented and the officer was in the wrong for that. The kid probably thought it was their parents or something and was surprised to open a door and have a gun in his face. Story needs more details but from the looks of it this cop was on a major powertrip.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Not very detailed......though I will say that just because it's a wiimote doesn't mean that would be clear to the police.

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -3

#14  Edited By IncisionX
Member since 2004 • 208 Posts

It's really hard to have an informed opinion on this.. if it's genuine the child was holding a wiimote as he opened the door and they opened fire? naturally the officer in question has a serious issue.

However, if he opens the door aiming it towards them in an aggressive manner from distance and it's a black one with the gun peripheral I guess in a moments heartbeat you could easily mistake it and take a shot... not that you should of course.

Either way, it's a shame to see something like this happen.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@IncisionX said:

It's really hard to have an informed opinion on this.. if it's genuine the child was holding a wiimote as he opened the door and they opened fire? naturally the officer in question has a serious issue.

However, if he opens the door aiming it towards them in an aggressive manner from distance and it's a black one with the gun peripheral I guess in a moments heartbeat you could easily mistake it and take a shot... not that you should of course.

I don't get your bolded part.....err on the side of caution. You have a split second to react....and if you're wrong....you're dead.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

Kid should have been holding the wiimote while answering the door if he doesn't know who's there. It's his own fault.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

Kid should have been holding the wiimote while answering the door if he doesn't know who's there. It's his own fault.

I think I've finally found the most idiotic post on OT.

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -3

#18 IncisionX
Member since 2004 • 208 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@IncisionX said:

I don't get your bolded part.....err on the side of caution. You have a split second to react....and if you're wrong....you're dead.

I'm meaning that an officer who's been trained to wield a gun needs to be able to make accurate decisions within a moments heartbeat and be confident in doing so.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Crunchy_Nuts
@deeliman said:
@Crunchy_Nuts said:

How so? He was holding what appeared to be a dangerous weapon. The police had every right to shoot him on the spot, she was only acting in self defence.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@Crunchy_Nuts said:
@deeliman said:
@Crunchy_Nuts said:

How so? He was holding what appeared to be a dangerous weapon. The police had every right to shoot him on the spot, she was only acting in self defence.

Because, when the kid asked who was there, the cops didn't respond, so how would he know there were cops? And second, the police doesn't have the right to kill someone because they thought they had a weapon. If they can mistake a fucking wiimote for a weapon, they can mistake anything for a weapon. They could shoot you in the streets if you hold a smartphone because it looked like a weapon to him.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Crunchy_Nuts

@deeliman said:

@Crunchy_Nuts said:
@deeliman said:
@Crunchy_Nuts said:

Because, when the kid asked who was there, the cops didn't respond, so how would he know there were cops? And second, the police doesn't have the right to kill someone because they thought they had a weapon. If they can mistake a fucking wiimote for a weapon, they can mistake anything for a weapon. They could shoot you in the streets if you hold a smartphone because it looked like a weapon to him.

You know the solution then, don't you. Don't hold a phone while a police officer is approaching you.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Once again guns are the problem and not the solution....

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23  Edited By whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

The tc's post does use the phrase "Friday night" so it may well have been dark. The Cop probably mistook the wiimote for a gun. Let's not rush to judgment here.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
@the_bi99man said:

Sounds about right.

And as for the question of "how is the officer supposed to know it wasn't a gun?" Please do show me a gun that looks anything like a Wiimote. Shit like that is literally part of a police officer's training. Being able to tell if the shit in someone's hand is a weapon. They take training courses for that, and have to pass tests to get into the force.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#25  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:
@the_bi99man said:

Sounds about right.

As much as it pains me to say it......

.......this guy pretty much closed the discussion.

so..... /thread.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

knowing the Wiimote color would help me out. Also, most anything can be fashioned into a weapon and maybe being a cop and having someone pointing something at him is reason enough to give the cop the benefit of the doubt.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

As has been mentioned, not enough info. Did he point it at the officer after opening the door, or was it simply in his hand? Lots of factors could be at play there. Could be a bad trigger happy cop, could be a guy at home right now dealing with taking the life of a kid because of an honest mistake in the heat of the moment. No way to know right now.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

@dave123321 said:

don't be a cop then

You know, hindsight always makes people geniuses

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#29 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

are you kidding me , how do you not know what a gun looks like id like to see a gun that actually looks like a wii mote, i never seen one , no im not talking about those attachments liek the zapper a real gun , cause i havent seen one a cop should know what a gun looks like from a controller or even a toy gun in any god darn case , to even shoot without making sure its a gun or not you know , the cop should be tried

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

What, is it 1985 all over again? I remember this exact same dumbass discussion happening back when the news media reported on kids getting killed for pointing water guns at police.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

As per usual with any discussion involving cops on OT, this thread is awful.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Cops can kill you for holding a TV remote for that matter.. sad just sad.