George Lucas to donate the bulk of the Disney deal to charity.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Heirren (16654 posts) -
#2 Posted by -TheSecondSign- (9185 posts) -

He donates a lot to charity.

Awhile back he helped build a bunch of low income housing.

#3 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

Good for him. I don't have the highest opinion of him in the world because of a lot of his executive decisions relating to Star Wars, but that seems kinda petty when you see something like this.

#4 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -
Bragger clagger
#5 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24964 posts) -

Still doesn't make up for Jar-Jar.

#6 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -

THE_DRUGGIE
Any and all flaws in the prequel trilogy are irrelevant compared to what he did to the originals in 1997. I don't know why he decided there needed to be singing puppets in Jabba's palace, but I distinctly remember mass suicides taking place at the drive in theater where I saw the whole Special Edition trilogy back in the day.
#7 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
Could it be George is dying?
#8 Posted by m0zart (11562 posts) -

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

famicommander

Any and all flaws in the prequel trilogy are irrelevant compared to what he did to the originals in 1997. I don't know why he decided there needed to be singing puppets in Jabba's palace, but I distinctly remember mass suicides taking place at the drive in theater where I saw the whole Special Edition trilogy back in the day.

There were singing puppets at Jabba's Palace in the original release of ROTJ. The 1997 rerelease replaced them with CGI.

#9 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

m0zart

There were singing puppets at Jabba's Palace in the original release of ROTJ. The 1997 rerelease replaced them with CGI.

Yeah, but the scene's tone was completely changed in the re-release. It wen from looking like a dingy hell hole to being a cartoony, wacky song that totally derails the movie. To this day I have to skip that scene.
#10 Posted by MrGeezer (56152 posts) -
Yeah, but the scene's tone was completely changed in the re-release. It wen from looking like a dingy hell hole to being a cartoony, wacky song that totally derails the movie. To this day I have to skip that scene.jim_shorts
As someone who mostly was indifferent to the changes (even the whole "Greedo shoots first" travesty), I've gotta agree. That song and dance sequence in Jabba's palace was godawful, by far the worst change he made.
#11 Posted by Storm_Marine (10790 posts) -

If I was Lucas I'd use the money to buy the Star Trek franchise and utterly ruin it.

#12 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29115 posts) -
He should donate it to all the Star Wars fans he traumatized with that prequel trilogy.
#13 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

Could it be George is dying?Ace6301

Doubtful. He's been wealthy far beyond his needs for ages, and he's been doing charitable sh*t for about as long. I think he's pretty much become disinterested in the movie business.

#14 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

Celebrities that are just plain nice are the best kind.

#15 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Good for him.
#16 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
good
#17 Posted by soulless4now (41370 posts) -

That's mighty kind of him, I reckon.

#18 Posted by Vesica_Prime (7062 posts) -

That's really nice of him.

#19 Posted by CommandoAgent (753 posts) -

Celebrities that are just plain nice are the best kind.

sune_Gem
Not all of them, the 80% of the rest are just plain greedy. Good for Lucas.
#20 Posted by ScreamDream (3953 posts) -

George is having the time of his life. Good for him.

#21 Posted by MrPraline (21321 posts) -
Nice of him.
#22 Posted by iwilson1296 (2214 posts) -

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="famicommander"] Any and all flaws in the prequel trilogy are irrelevant compared to what he did to the originals in 1997. I don't know why he decided there needed to be singing puppets in Jabba's palace, but I distinctly remember mass suicides taking place at the drive in theater where I saw the whole Special Edition trilogy back in the day.jim_shorts

Yeah, but the scene's tone was completely changed in the re-release. It wen from looking like a dingy hell hole to being a cartoony, wacky song that totally derails the movie. To this day I have to skip that scene.

i always skip that part too

#23 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

If I had more money than I could possibly spend in 50 lifetimes I'd probably give some away too.

#24 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34144 posts) -

Good for him.

#25 Posted by NiKva (8768 posts) -
Read that as donating to Disney as charity. :| Its pretty common for famous people to donate money to charity. If I had the same amount of money, I don't doubt that I wouldn't have done the same thing, since 4 billion is a bit too much for one person to handle.
#26 Posted by one_plum (6349 posts) -

May the Force be with you George.

#27 Posted by flazzle (6488 posts) -

Wouldn't that money be better off taxed and given to the federal government to help pay for government programs, like say, Obamacare?

Seriously, think about it

#28 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -

But I thought the 1% was supposed to be greedy and evil?

#29 Posted by Franko_3 (5728 posts) -

Jacobistheman

Maybe he want to fund dark side schools and raise an army, who know:?

187978_4fdf8d3e-67eb-4407-9904-4b2358b98

#30 Posted by supa_badman (16626 posts) -

Well, he got 4.02 billion

Even if he gave half of it, he still has 2.01 billion.

#31 Posted by RadecSupreme (4646 posts) -

Jacobistheman

Oh you mean charity donation which every rich person can afford to easily do is somehow making up for slave labor, mistreatment of workers, and abuse of illegal immigrants. Woah wait a second, they also get tax cuts when donating to nonprofit organizations? Well who woulda thought? And they get good reputation while doing it? Tell me about it.

WEAK. Try again buddy oh

#32 Posted by brickdoctor (9746 posts) -

Would've never saw that coming, but that's plain awesome. I love good stories like this.

#33 Posted by JohnF111 (14068 posts) -
He's only doing it so his ex wife doesn't get half of it.
#34 Posted by cfstar (1979 posts) -

He already has a shìtrillion dollars that he made with all the movies, merchandise, extended media, etc, so he figured he didn't needed this, probably.

Still, Good for him and the kids. He may have no directing ability whatsoever but he's not a heartless a-hole.

#35 Posted by JoGoSo (455 posts) -

Well, he got 4.02 billion

Even if he gave half of it, he still has 2.01 billion.

supa_badman

Well, he's still sitting on about 1.5 billion in cash so could easily donate all of it. It was intention to give away his stuff at death anyway.

Lucasfilm seemed grossly undervalued quite frankly (Disney will make back their money before the trilogy is even finished) so the sale seems to be Lucas simply losing interest in the business and making sure he stays immortalized with the best option - Disney.

#36 Posted by one_plum (6349 posts) -

Jacobistheman

Yes, and all 99% are lazy people sucking up welfare.

#37 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42654 posts) -
That's nice.
#38 Posted by chunkowookie (268 posts) -

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="m0zart"]

iwilson1296

that's why I only ever watch the unaltered originals. i don't give half a sh!t about the picture and sound quality. VHS was good enough in the 90s, and it's good enough now. Plus, I also have digital copies that look as good as you could expect them to look.

#39 Posted by Heirren (16654 posts) -

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]Yeah, but the scene's tone was completely changed in the re-release. It wen from looking like a dingy hell hole to being a cartoony, wacky song that totally derails the movie. To this day I have to skip that scene.chunkowookie

that's why I only ever watch the unaltered originals. i don't give half a sh!t about the picture and sound quality. VHS was good enough in the 90s, and it's good enough now. Plus, I also have digital copies that look as good as you could expect them to look.

Are you referring to the "desaturized" versions? ...the only real concrete positive out of the Disney deal is that we will eventually get the originals restored properly. I'd say probably the holiday before the summer of episode7, or maybe even sooner.
#40 Posted by iwilson1296 (2214 posts) -

[QUOTE="chunkowookie"]

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]i always skip that part too

Heirren

Are you referring to the "desaturized" versions? ...the only real concrete positive out of the Disney deal is that we will eventually get the originals restored properly. I'd say probably the holiday before the summer of episode7, or maybe even sooner.

Man i hope so

#41 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

He's only doing it so his ex wife doesn't get half of it.JohnF111

Pretty sure he and his ex wife have been divorced for 30 years. I don't think he ever remarried after that.

#42 Posted by Heirren (16654 posts) -

He is still a stupid, ugly, fat, evil, gross, gay piece of fvcking sh!!te.

coolbeans90
Spoken like a true termite of society.
#43 Posted by edgewalker16 (2279 posts) -

Good for him. He may have dropped the ball with a few of his movies, but that doesn't make him any less a great person.

coolbeans90

2/10

#44 Posted by Allicrombie (25146 posts) -
I find it interesting that none of his kids, (he has two boys and two girls), wanted to, or expressed an interest in possibly taking over one of his companies? He could have kept one and sold the rest. Even if the kid had to eventually go to business school, get an MBA or whatever, it seems like it would be interesting to try at least. Who wouldnt want to take a shot at running Lucasfilm, or ILM?
#45 Posted by edgewalker16 (2279 posts) -
I find it interesting that none of his kids, (he has two boys and two girls), wanted to, or expressed an interest in possibly taking over one of his companies? He could have kept one and sold the rest. Even if the kid had to eventually go to business school, get an MBA or whatever, it seems like it would be interesting to try at least. Who wouldnt want to take a shot at running Lucasfilm, or ILM? Allicrombie
Perhaps they want to try and make their own unique mark on the world. It's not a selfish thought--and it's not like they'll ever run out of money to try different things.
#46 Posted by cfstar (1979 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

Spoken like a true termite of society.

no u

No. U
#47 Posted by OB-47 (10908 posts) -

He's an all round good guy.

#48 Posted by Big_Pecks (5253 posts) -

Still think it's too much, but at least it's going to a good cause.