Gay Marriage Legal in NJ, Governor Christie Drops Opposition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/22/nyregion/christie-withdraws-appeal-of-same-sex-marriage-ruling-in-new-jersey.html

Won't be long before Christie starts trying to take credit for it here in the modern world. That makes fourteen states and D.C that have legal same-sex marriage.

#2 Posted by lostrib (37023 posts) -

I'm glad Prop 8 in california got overturned so we don't look like asshats

#3 Posted by Netret0120 (2159 posts) -

I am not homophobic but as long as homosexual men do not make their sexuality the most interesting thing about themselves then they can get married all they want:-)

#4 Edited by toast_burner (21665 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

I am not homophobic but as long as homosexual men do not make their sexuality the most interesting thing about themselves then they can get married all they want:-)

Gay people will stop doing it when straight people stop doing it, which will probably never happen.

Let me elaborate, your sexuality determines who you will spend most of your time with, the one you may want to settle down with and raise a family. When you say your family is the most important thing in your life, you have your sexuality to thank for that.

#5 Edited by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

If you find their sexuality to be the most interesting thing about them then boy do I have some news for you!

#6 Posted by lostrib (37023 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

Why should that stop them from getting married?

#7 Edited by Randolph (10526 posts) -

I still do not get why New Jersey likes Christie so much when he is so out of step with their values.

#8 Posted by Solaryellow (485 posts) -

If you have nothing better to concern yourself with than whether or not two people of the same sex get married, you have issues. Who cares who gets married? If you believe your life will be effected because two mean or two females marry, you are in dire need of a life.

#9 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Good on them.

#10 Edited by DarkGamer007 (6030 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

"I'm not homophobic but...", proceeds to say something incredibly homophobic.

#11 Edited by Jimn_tonic (819 posts) -
@Netret0120 said:

lol ya no

#12 Posted by sonicare (53467 posts) -

I think Christie should get some credit. Would you rather he block it?

#13 Edited by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@sonicare said:

He can't block a court order. :| And, in fact, he blocked a legislative attempt that had unanimous support just recently.

#14 Edited by limpbizkit818 (15041 posts) -

@Randolph said:

I still do not get why New Jersey likes Christie so much when he is so out of step with their values.

How is he out of step with their values?

#15 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Why is the government even in charge on who people can marry?

Why can't I marry animals, or inanimate objects?

#16 Edited by lostrib (37023 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

Because marriage is a legal document

#17 Posted by wis3boi (31382 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

if marriage didn't involve legal benefits, you might have a point.

#18 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

Why does it have to be?

#19 Edited by thegerg (15251 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

No, it's not. I't a legally recognized relationship/union of individuals.

#20 Edited by lostrib (37023 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

well it usually comes with some form of marriage license which is a legally binding document. The point being, it requires consent from both parties

#21 Posted by lostrib (37023 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

Why does it have to be?

It doesn't, but it is currently which is why the government is in charge of who they legally recognize as married

#22 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

. . .That comes with a court-issued license, which is a legal document.

#23 Posted by thegerg (15251 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@thegerg said:

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

Right, and that document is a marriage license, not a marriage.

#24 Posted by Cynical_Buzzard (224 posts) -

Why does it matter what Christie says or think really, he is just another puppet in this glorious thing we call a government.

#25 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -
@sonicare said:

NJ = moderate liberals. If he fought against it, he'd lose re-election.

He gained credit with handling Hurricane Sandy & working with Obama with Federal Aid while the rest of the GoP were trying to smear him to help that loser Romney.

#26 Edited by lostrib (37023 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@Makhaidos said:

@thegerg said:

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

Right, and that document is a marriage license, not a marriage.

okay, beside the point. For the sake of the government, it is a legal union and thus both parties have to consent which is why he can't legally marry animals or inanimate objects

#27 Posted by lamprey263 (23956 posts) -

good heavens what a goddamn cockblock that fat fuck was, he probably did it to stay politically relevant while the rest of the Republican party is being dragged down by the crazies he was pandering to with his gay marriage opposition

#28 Posted by Pffrbt (6556 posts) -

The correct term is "marriage equality".

#29 Posted by airshocker (29695 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

good heavens what a goddamn cockblock that fat fuck was, he probably did it to stay politically relevant while the rest of the Republican party is being dragged down by the crazies he was pandering to with his gay marriage opposition

It's called political expediency. You should look it up, and then not be surprised that every single damn politician does the same exact thing.

Christie is smart. He knows when a fight is over.

#30 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

Moving the fact that GM does not even technically exist at all and makes no logical sense other than to push an agenda, This country will become Rome in no time at this rate. Our Next president killed at the footsteps and the corruption going bad and we will be a small piece of canada.

#31 Posted by lostrib (37023 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

Moving the fact that GM does not even technically exist at all and makes no logical sense other than to push an agenda, This country will become Rome in no time at this rate. Our Next president killed at the footsteps and the corruption going bad and we will be a small piece of canada.

wtf are you talking about? how does it not exist or make logical sense?

#32 Edited by THE_DRUGGIE (24964 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@Netret0120 said:

Gay people will stop doing it when straight people stop doing it, which will probably never happen.

Let me elaborate, your sexuality determines who you will spend most of your time with, the one you may want to settle down with and raise a family. When you say your family is the most important thing in your life, you have your sexuality to thank for that.

So...am I mesexual for spending so much time with myself?

I don't wanna be Buffalo Bill.

#33 Posted by lostrib (37023 posts) -

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@toast_burner said:

@Netret0120 said:

uh, then don't dig a pit in your basement and sew a meat suit?

#34 Edited by The_Last_Ride (71815 posts) -

good for you america

#35 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24964 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@toast_burner said:

@Netret0120 said:

uh, then don't dig a pit in your basement and sew a meat suit?

Aw crap.

#36 Posted by toast_burner (21665 posts) -

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@toast_burner said:

@Netret0120 said:

I'm not seeing the connection between what you said and what I said.

#37 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15660 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

I'm 99% sure Gay Marriage exists in NY, Mass, Maryland, and other states.

#38 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

Moving the fact that GM does not even technically exist at all and makes no logical sense

GM is quite real, my friend.

See? That's their logo.

But this thread is about gay marriage, so please take your corporate conspiracy theories somewhere more relevant.

#39 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@Jakandsigz said:

Moving the fact that GM does not even technically exist at all and makes no logical sense

GM is quite real, my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2h8ujX6T0A

#40 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

I hate to break this to you, but gay marriage technically does exist in more than a dozen states and 15 or so other countries.