GameStop employees hording incentive items?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44618 Posts

I've a sneaking suspicion that my local GameStop employees here in Seattle are hording their pre-order incentive items for themselves. I buy nearly all my games from them, many of them pre-ordered and the only pre-order items I ever get are download redeem codes if anything. My friend in San Diego who buys games not nearly as frequently as I do keeps telling me about all the pre-order incentive items he gets, even for games I get too but none of those items are offered to me. For instance, we both did the midnight launch of Left 4 Dead 2, he got a model crashed airplane from the swamp level in the game, and he didn't even pick up Assassin's Creed 2 and they gave him a model of the Enzio glider. Anybody else have similar experiences, noticed such disparities with other GameStops or know whether not all GameStop retailers get the same incentive items as others?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
i know my gamestop gave me the code for the demo when i went to pick up god of war 3, i was all like "idiots"
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Go to a different Game Stop?
Nagru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Nagru
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts

People still shop at GameStop? I thought it was thoroughly established that it was a terrible store.

Just the whole situation of allowing their employees to open & play new games, and then sell those games as "new" afterwards would have stopped me shopping there if I had one nearby. Seriously that infuriates me. To me, if it's out of the packaging it's instantly lost it's 'new' status. There's a lot of shady things that store does from what I've heard.

Just shop somewhere else. It's a bad place, and it's policies aren't likely to change as long as their profit margins are still good.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44618 Posts

Go to a different Game Stop?wstfld

well, I go to the one I go to because it's the only store that sells games in walking distance to whereI live, and I take the bus everywhere and don't drive so my options are pretty limited, and yeah, like the other guy said they're pretty bad about gutting everything and selling it as new, though I'm careful to eye it and never let them sell me anything that's not factor sealed

Tannerr33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6 Tannerr33
Member since 2004 • 896 Posts

I have a friend who was a manager at gamestop and they would totally do that. I would get all sorts of preorder items from him even though I didn't preorder the game.

TheBlueBlur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheBlueBlur
Member since 2004 • 18309 Posts
These things really vary from store to store. I've worked at GameStop for over 2 years, and I know for a fact that we never gave out any models for l4d or Creed 2 as reservation incentives. Also, not all stores take new games home and play them. My store for example, only takes used games home seeing as they are already used.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I'm not much for these incentives. The last midnight launch I went to was FFXIII, just so I could get the game and play it right away. Nothing else really matters.
cowplayinghalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cowplayinghalo
Member since 2005 • 1642 Posts

Maybe Ubisoft sent some extra toys to San Diego because it was convenient for them to ship them there, but Seattle would have been a problem. Not all stores have the ecaxt same thing every single time. Just like games vary from country to country (with special editions), they vary a lot in the same country. To ask the bigger question here: do these toys really matter that much?

Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Scarface_tm431
Member since 2004 • 10063 Posts
It's based on volume, the store you go to might not get as many sent to them. I never worked for Gamestop but I worked for a different company and the same thing would happen between us and the other store in the same town, they had nearly double the volume so would get 12 things while we'd only get 3
ZombiefiedZomB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ZombiefiedZomB
Member since 2010 • 1746 Posts
I feel that they do do that and I find it very low of them to do that.