CamCam_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CamCam_96
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

Hey. I'm going out of town to my grandma's beach house in a couple days on a plane. I wanna know if you're allowed to put a game system on a carry on bag. I wanna pack it because when you're at the beach, there isn't much to do at night. So why not sit back and play some GTA or whatever? Please tell me you are allowed to pack a system in a carry on bag

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I don't see why not. For handhelds they might ask you to turn it off for take off and landing if you're using it during the flight itself; other than that just make sure you take it off the bag before you put the bag in the metal detector, otherwise it might damage it (they will warn you to take out any electronics before putting the bag in anyway).

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

As long as there's not a threat to the Security packing a console on a plane, your all good. To me, I don't take any consoles on a plane, I just take my Nintendo handheld for easy access gaming while traveling and and hey, your on vacation, I can just game at night with my handheld.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@camcam_96 said:

Hey. I'm going out of town to my grandma's beach house in a couple days on a plane. I wanna know if you're allowed to put a game system on a carry on bag. I wanna pack it because when you're at the beach, there isn't much to do at night. So why not sit back and play some GTA or whatever? Please tell me you are allowed to pack a system in a carry on bag

I know from experience that you absolutely can do this, and in fact carry-on is the recommended way to do it rather than leaving it in checked luggage. Unless you have TSA Pre Check or some other expedited security status (and if you're asking this question I'm assuming you don't) then you'll have to remove it from the bag so it can be x-rayed separately just as you would have to do with any other electronics (laptops, DVD players, etc) over 2 lbs. This isn't to prevent it from being damaged, it's because it needs to be examined as a separate item by the x-ray to make sure you haven't hollowed it out and filled it with drugs, bombs, etc.

When traveling with electronics, you should -never- leave anything of value in your checked bag. Airlines do not guarantee valuables or electronics in checked luggage against damage or even straight up theft. I travel for work and our company policy is that our work laptops (which carry sensitive data) are never to be put in checked bags. If you get to the other end and your console is damaged or broken (or even MISSING), you are SOL. Not only should you keep it in your carryon, but you should pack a sufficient amount of clothing/soft items around it in all directions so it's not likely to be damaged if the bag gets jostled a bit.

Make sure that the bag you put it in will fit in the overhead bin space for the plane you are flying on. If you're flight is around 750 miles or more, most airlines will put you on a full sized jet which means up to a 19" or 20" bag will fit. Shorter flights might be on "regional" jets or turbo props which tend to have backpack sized overhead bins. If you are on one of these you'll have to gate check (for free) your normal carryon bag. If this happens, this is generally pretty safe because they take the bag from you are the gate and return it to you at the gate, which doesn't offer a lot of chances for baggage theft. Just make sure it's well packed inside the bag because these guys aren't exactly gentle with them.

@korvus said:

I don't see why not. For handhelds they might ask you to turn it off for take off and landing if you're using it during the flight itself; other than that just make sure you take it off the bag before you put the bag in the metal detector, otherwise it might damage it (they will warn you to take out any electronics before putting the bag in anyway).

It's not to keep it from being damaged, it's because they need to x-ray it separately to see it clearly. It's strictly a security requirement. If you have TSA Pre Check, these requirements are loosened and you only have to take objects out of your bag if they cannot figure out what they are on x-ray after it goes through the machine but otherwise you leave everything in your bags. Even if you don't have pre-check, there are special laptop bags you can buy which are "TSA approved" where you don't have to take the laptop out of the bag for the x-ray, but if you use these bags you can't put anything else in them besides the laptop.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Byshop: Ah, I see. Never really payed much attention on what's going on in the x-ray...I'm normally late enough as it is XD Now that you mention it I remember seeing my laptop going in the x-ray machine anyway, just outside my suitcase...I normally don't take electronics with me so it only happened once.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

I have never had a problem doing so, but different airlines have different rules, but I can't see any of them having an issue.

I'm sure their website will tell you what you can and can't take on.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I've carried laptops, a Mac Mini, a Wii on different domestic flights. Airport security didn't have a problem with any of them.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Your system will always be there, you can game whenever you get back home but you still want to game whilst on Holidays? I don't mean to judge but there's plenty to do at night whilst on holidays, like hitting a few pubs in town assuming you're at the age to drink and party. Don't bring it, it'll distract you... like I said you can game any other time you want.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

Your system will always be there, you can game whenever you get back home but you still want to game whilst on Holidays? I don't mean to judge but there's plenty to do at night whilst on holidays, like hitting a few pubs in town assuming you're at the age to drink and party. Don't bring it, it'll distract you... like I said you can game any other time you want.

I'm assuming he's going to be stuck with his grand folks. If that's the case, then he better bring it.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BattleSpectre

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@BattleSpectre said:

I'm assuming he's going to be stuck with his grand folks. If that's the case, then he better bring it.

Agreed.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

I've done it a few times with no problem from TSA. Some systems are easier to fly with than others. I used to just throw my gamecube in a backpack because it was cheap and pretty much indestructible, but if it was something like a PS4 I'd look into a travel case or maybe wrap it in some towels at least.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator

@megane said:

I have never had a problem doing so, but different airlines have different rules, but I can't see any of them having an issue.

I'm sure their website will tell you what you can and can't take on.

Airlines don't care. Security is the only place you can potentially get flak for it if you don't remove it from your bag before putting the bag through X-ray. Once you're through, the only thing the airlines themselves will care about is "does your bag fit on the plane". If you're bag is too big then they may gate check it.

@BattleSpectre said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@BattleSpectre said:

Agreed.

Yeah, what if the op is a kid? He may not even be allowed to wander out at night.

@silkylove said:

I've done it a few times with no problem from TSA. Some systems are easier to fly with than others. I used to just throw my gamecube in a backpack because it was cheap and pretty much indestructible, but if it was something like a PS4 I'd look into a travel case or maybe wrap it in some towels at least.

Anything from the PS3/360 generation and up is big and heavy so this is good advice. Maybe sure clothes or something soft covers the console in all directions.

-Byshop

RPG-er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RPG-er
Member since 2003 • 19301 Posts

yes, you're allowed to. I've carry-on my Xbox before, because it didn't want it to get damaged in check-in. But pack it so you can easily pull it out at TSA; it follows the laptop rules.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@BattleSpectre said:

Or he could enjoy spending some time with them while they are still around! I'm sure they would appreciate that. I guess if they go to bed early though there is no harm in getting a few hours in after. :)

Personally I just take a handheld for the plane journey and a book for the beach/before bed when I'm on holiday.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Back in the 90s they had no problem with me bringing my gameboy color to play pokemon. Then again, this was before 9/11. I haven't flown since.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Byshop  Moderator

@bulby_g: I'm picturing something like this:

Loading Video...

-Byshop

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Be sure you can easily remove the game system from your pack because it will likely have to be scanned separately from the rest of your luggage. Other than that it should be simple to take any sort of electronic device through security.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Byshop  Moderator

I'm actually on a United flight to Denver right now. Only brought the 3DSXL and the Vita, though. Hoo-ray for in-flight internets.

-Byshop

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BattleSpectre

@Byshop said:

Airlines don't care. Security is the only place you can potentially get flak for it if you don't remove it from your bag before putting the bag through X-ray. Once you're through, the only thing the airlines themselves will care about is "does your bag fit on the plane". If you're bag is too big then they may gate check it.

@BattleSpectre said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Agreed.

Yeah, what if the op is a kid? He may not even be allowed to wander out at night.

I did say "assuming he's at the age to drink and party". =P

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

it always cracks me up with they start that turn off your device shit.

are we really about to go down because of a phone signal?

what about the thousands of signals you pass through every second during takeoff and landing?

the very idea that a phone or device signal puts a plane in danger is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

what about the thousands of signals you pass through every second during takeoff and landing?

the very idea that a phone or device signal puts a plane in danger is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard.

I take it you're an expert on telecommunications.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Riverwolf007 said:

A lot of airlines don't do that anymore and the ones that do, if you ask them why, they'll tell you "It probably doesn't do anything but better to be on the safe side".

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Riverwolf007

@GazaAli said:
@Riverwolf007 said:

i'm an expert in common sense.

if any kind of electromagnetic radiation brought down planes it would be raining jet parts on your lawn right this second.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Riverwolf007

@korvus said:
@Riverwolf007 said:

A lot of airlines don't do that anymore and the ones that do, if you ask them why, they'll tell you "It probably doesn't do anything but better to be on the safe side".

the non-funny non-sarcastic answer would be they want you to shut up and listen to the emergency instructions.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:
@GazaAli said:
@Riverwolf007 said:

i'm an expert in common sense.

if any kind of electromagnetic radiation brought down planes it would be raining jet parts on your lawn right this second.

I'm a fan of common sense as much as the next guy, but I tend to leave technical matters to experts. I'm not saying you should retire your own brain and concede to others, but your own judgement remains uncertain in such instances.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Riverwolf007: If you're not interested in listening to the instructions you won't, whether you are texting, playing games, twiddling your thumbs or spacing our looking through the window. Besides, after the first few times I'm sure you've got them memorised.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Byshop  Moderator

@Riverwolf007 said:

It's not. No, the plane won't drop out of the sky but they can cause other complications. Any handheld device puts off EMF which can have an adverse affect on communications and navigation. Additionally cell phones, tablets, some e-readers, etc can/do have cellular transmitters which can really muck things up. A single device probably isn't a big deal but multiply that times 300 passengers in close proximity to the plane's instruments. A friend of mine has a brother who is a commercial airline pilot. He has mentioned how big a difference turning off devices makes on how clear the radio is.

Takeoff and landing are the most dangerous points during any flight. The plane is closer to the ground and travelling at slower speeds. The slower the plane is travelling, the greater the risk of a stall. The closer the plane is to the ground, the less time the pilot has to react if something goes wrong. Also, the plane is in closer proximity to more planes during takeoff and landing, increasing the risk of collision. If anything goes wrong (inside or outside the plane) the pilot needs to be in constant communication with the tower.

These days, devices are more efficient, better shielded and put off less EMF than they used to so the FAA has relaxed that restriction. You're allowed to use small devices during takeoff and landing now, provided they are not transmitting devices or they have been switched to "airplane mode".

-Byshop

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Riverwolf007

@korvus said:

@Riverwolf007: If you're not interested in listening to the instructions you won't, whether you are texting, playing games, twiddling your thumbs or spacing our looking through the window. Besides, after the first few times I'm sure you've got them memorised.

@Byshop said:
@Riverwolf007 said:

It's not. No, the plane won't drop out of the sky but they can cause other complications. Any handheld device puts off EMF which can have an adverse affect on communications and navigation. Additionally cell phones, tablets, some e-readers, etc can/do have cellular transmitters which can really muck things up. A single device probably isn't a big deal but multiply that times 300 passengers in close proximity to the plane's instruments. A friend of mine has a brother who is a commercial airline pilot. He has mentioned how big a difference turning off devices makes on how clear the radio is.

Takeoff and landing are the most dangerous points during any flight. The plane is closer to the ground and travelling at slower speeds. The slower the plane is travelling, the greater the risk of a stall. The closer the plane is to the ground, the less time the pilot has to react if something goes wrong. Also, the plane is in closer proximity to more planes during takeoff and landing, increasing the risk of collision. If anything goes wrong (inside or outside the plane) the pilot needs to be in constant communication with the tower.

These days, devices are more efficient, better shielded and put off less EMF than they used to so the FAA has relaxed that restriction. You're allowed to use small devices during takeoff and landing now, provided they are not transmitting devices or they have been switched to "airplane mode".

-Byshop

cool, thanks for weighing in.

i always think of places like LAX where you have 10,000 people in the terminal with their phones on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Riverwolf007: I'm actually on your side, in case it wasn't obvious =P

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Riverwolf007

@korvus said:

@Riverwolf007: I'm actually on your side, in case it wasn't obvious =P

oh yeah i got that.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Byshop  Moderator

@Riverwolf007 said:

cool, thanks for weighing in.

i always think of places like LAX where you have 10,000 people in the terminal with their phones on.

It's nice that they relaxed this. Some of us like e-readers when travelling as opposed to carrying a couple pounds in books and takeoff/landing can be boring. Airlines used to make you clear the screen on e-paper readers like the non-color Kindles, which is dumb because e-paper readers aren't actually "on" just because there's something on the screen. The display is persistent, meaning that the image stays on the display without power. The screen is only powered during page changes or when the screen is being updated, which is why their battery life is measured in "page turns" as opposed to hours. However, training flight attendents on the nuanced differences between e-paper and LCD readers would be silly so they treated them all the same.

The size limit on electonics devices during takeoff and landing isn't related to the interference they can cause, but rather how dangerous they would be if they suddenly turned into projectiles because the plane makes a sudden move. The techical limit is 2 lbs, which generallly means laptops have to be put away but anything else can be used.

-Byshop