Game of Thrones Season 4 Give the Starks a break.

#51 Posted by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

@bowchicka07 said:

@reaper4278 said:

@bowchicka07 said:
@reaper4278 said:

@Storm_Marine said:
@Serraph105 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Slow start to the season, but that was expected. Just a brief set up for all the characters. After the next episode is when things really go crazy.

Arya's bit at the end was fairly badass though. The group I was with was cheering.

Err..she's on the path to becoming a pyschopath.

And? It is fantasy dude, a psychopath getting revenge on an evil prick is still satisfying on TV. Chill.

Her fate becomes a lot more in depth than some mere psychopath. That's all I will say.

Irrelevant here, even if she were just a psychopath it is a ridiculous point he makes. In real life yea we rather not have a psychopath out there, in tv when that pyscho is taking out evil dudes, who cares?

It's not irrelevant. Everything happening to her now is all leading up to big picture stuff for her.

It is irrelevant for the point I was making. The point was so what if she were? It is a tv show.

Yes. I get it. I'm not really arguing you. I was just looking at the show as a whole with relativity to the books.

I was surprised anybody would have been against that scene. That guy she killed was a piece of crap and killed her friend.

It all serves a purpose for the future.

#52 Posted by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

If you think the Starks are going to get a break any time soon, you're in for a very sad post-season drinking binge.

I know they are not. If you think about it, no one really gets a break in GoT. Some do but they are usually brief and get overshadowed by future tragedy.

#53 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29075 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

Best House is obviously Stark. As for favorite characters (based on the books, I haven't watched the show), they are Arya, Tyrion, and Jon Snow.

You said spelt Lannister wrong. They're by far the most interesting characters. Arya and Stansa are compelling but the others were either stupid or way out of their depth.

idk, it's true that a lot of the Lannisters are awesome (e.g. Tyrion, Tywin, Jaime) but others are complete fvcks (e.g. Cersei, Joffrey and don't tell me that Joffrey is a Baratheon not a Lannister)

#54 Edited by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

Best House is obviously Stark. As for favorite characters (based on the books, I haven't watched the show), they are Arya, Tyrion, and Jon Snow.

You said spelt Lannister wrong. They're by far the most interesting characters. Arya and Stansa are compelling but the others were either stupid or way out of their depth.

idk, it's true that a lot of the Lannisters are awesome (e.g. Tyrion, Tywin, Jaime) but others are complete fvcks (e.g. Cersei, Joffrey and don't tell me that Joffrey is a Baratheon not a Lannister)

He's the king, of course he's Baratheon. To speak otherwise is treason in which you will have to engage in trial by combat against the Mountain.

#55 Edited by bobaban (10542 posts) -

@reaper4278 said:

@bowchicka07 said:

@reaper4278 said:

@bowchicka07 said:
@reaper4278 said:

@Storm_Marine said:
@Serraph105 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Slow start to the season, but that was expected. Just a brief set up for all the characters. After the next episode is when things really go crazy.

Arya's bit at the end was fairly badass though. The group I was with was cheering.

Err..she's on the path to becoming a pyschopath.

And? It is fantasy dude, a psychopath getting revenge on an evil prick is still satisfying on TV. Chill.

Her fate becomes a lot more in depth than some mere psychopath. That's all I will say.

Irrelevant here, even if she were just a psychopath it is a ridiculous point he makes. In real life yea we rather not have a psychopath out there, in tv when that pyscho is taking out evil dudes, who cares?

It's not irrelevant. Everything happening to her now is all leading up to big picture stuff for her.

It is irrelevant for the point I was making. The point was so what if she were? It is a tv show.

Yes. I get it. I'm not really arguing you. I was just looking at the show as a whole with relativity to the books.

I was surprised anybody would have been against that scene. That guy she killed was a piece of crap and killed her friend.

It all serves a purpose for the future.

Arya is one of my favorite characters. And that scene alone made her 10x cooler. Her and Jon will be great warriors.

#56 Edited by Mkavanaugh77 (20732 posts) -

Never read the books, just watched the show from season 1 till the new season 4.

Characters I like:Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister, Eddard Stark (RIP), Jorah Mormont, Samwell, Sandor The Hound

I hate Joffrey Cersei Lannister, Jamie Lannister (mostly in the first 3 seasons)

#57 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1743 posts) -

the best character is the dragon-mom lady. Beautiful.

#58 Edited by Mkavanaugh77 (20732 posts) -

I think Margaery Tyrell is beautiful

#59 Posted by TheFlush (5472 posts) -
@Motokid6 said:

So much Sansa hate.. i like her. Shes been held hostage the entire show. She'll get her moment in the sun.

Yeah, I actually like her character quite a bit. When she was first introduced she was a shallow girl who thought her beauty would get her anywhere. Because of that naivety it only got her into trouble. And now that she realised the situation she's in, because of her own idiocy, she has to toughen up and change her attitude to get out of this mess. I think that unless she's suddenly killed, she might do something radical. After all, she's still a Stark.

#60 Edited by SolidSnake35 (58047 posts) -

Why is it that other TV shows can't achieve this level of production value? I might watch TV if that were so.

#61 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1743 posts) -

finally, a happy ending. #GoT

#62 Edited by Chutebox (36431 posts) -

Final scene felt off. Didn't seem like a big deal to some people that it should have

I LOVED prince O's scene with cersei and tywin. I was laughing hard and my wife didn't understand why. Easily best scene in  the episode

Loras comment with jaime was awesome too

#63 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

This episode broke the series own record in scale of epic moments and pure awesomeness. Every single thing about it was epic, epic, epic.

And that ending...even though I've known about it for years...just brilliant.

Eat your heart out, all other shows on TV.

#64 Posted by lamprey263 (22764 posts) -

Much better than the season premiere episodes. Knew that ending was coming I was just hoping the episode got to it and I wouldn't have to wait a week. Know what's coming next episode, ruined it for myself reading into one of the Game of Thrones Wikia a while back. Hopefully next episode proves eventful as well.

#65 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1337 posts) -

Wow another wedding, another death. Couldn't have happened to anyone more deserving, GOT just continues to get better.

#66 Edited by TheFlush (5472 posts) -

Holy fuck... this episode was like... yeah, wow. This series is so awesome!!

#67 Edited by spike6958 (4681 posts) -

Well... that happened... He deserved to die, but I'm gonna miss his character, he was such an asshole, but despite that he was so fun to watch too.

Also, as someone who's not read the books I have to say I'm struggling to see how there are 5 books, with at least 2 more to come in the future, because it doesn't seem like there'll be any characters left to write about soon.

#68 Edited by sonicare (53448 posts) -

In the books, I kind of liked Jon Stark. Some really good theories about who his parents really are. . . .

In the show, I love Tyrion. Peter Dinklage has totally owned that role.

#69 Posted by BillyMays (1166 posts) -

was anyone else expecting wieners to come out?

#70 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7722 posts) -

@sonicare said:

In the books, I kind of liked Jon Stark. Some really good theories about who his parents really are. . . .

Isn't he supposed to be a Targarian or something?

#71 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

@TheFlush said:
@Motokid6 said:

So much Sansa hate.. i like her. Shes been held hostage the entire show. She'll get her moment in the sun.

Yeah, I actually like her character quite a bit. When she was first introduced she was a shallow girl who thought her beauty would get her anywhere. Because of that naivety it only got her into trouble. And now that she realised the situation she's in, because of her own idiocy, she has to toughen up and change her attitude to get out of this mess. I think that unless she's suddenly killed, she might do something radical. After all, she's still a Stark.

that's certainly a valid interpretation of sansa, but i never read her as expecting anything for her beauty. i've always interpreted her more as someone who just had everything so good that she never really expected so much sh*t to happen. i mean, she is beautiful (and, more to the point, rich, the eldest daughter in a revered family, and beautiful) so everybody treated her well growing up. yeah, she is a girl in a patriarchal society, but she's not arya stark or brienne of tarth. all she really wanted to do was sew and eventually get married and nobody was going to stop her from doing those sorts of things. i think she had everything so good for all her life that she just thought "oh, well that's how things are."

#72 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

@spike6958:

Believe me, there are. You'd be surprised just how much stuff is left. And I can't frickin' wait.

#73 Posted by ferrari2001 (16748 posts) -

@sonicare said:

That is one theory but no source material has given us the identity of Jon's mother. Not to mention he's in the nights watch now. Even if he were Targaryen would he forsake his vows and vie for the throne? His past has shown that probably wouldn't be the case. It does seem unlikely that Ned Stark would knock some bar maid up and then take and raise the child he conceived via her. It does seems more likely that Jon is the child of someone powerful and Ned agreed to call the child his own in order to protect it. How important Jon Snow actually is remains to be seen.

#74 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25894 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@sonicare said:

That is one theory but no source material has given us the identity of Jon's mother. Not to mention he's in the nights watch now. Even if he were Targaryen would he forsake his vows and vie for the throne? His past has shown that probably wouldn't be the case. It does seem unlikely that Ned Stark would knock some bar maid up and then take and raise the child he conceived via her. It does seems more likely that Jon is the child of someone powerful and Ned agreed to call the child his own in order to protect it. How important Jon Snow actually is remains to be seen.

I personally very much believe the theory that Jon is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar.

#75 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7722 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@sonicare said:

That's what I figured. I haven't read the books so I wouldn't know however.

#76 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25894 posts) -

@TheFlush said:
@Motokid6 said:

that's certainly a valid interpretation of sansa, but i never read her as expecting anything for her beauty. i've always interpreted her more as someone who just had everything so good that she never really expected so much sh*t to happen. i mean, she is beautiful (and, more to the point, rich, the eldest daughter in a revered family, and beautiful) so everybody treated her well growing up. yeah, she is a girl in a patriarchal society, but she's not arya stark or brienne of tarth. all she really wanted to do was sew and eventually get married and nobody was going to stop her from doing those sorts of things. i think she had everything so good for all her life that she just thought "oh, well that's how things are."

I have always felt so bad for Sansa. In the beginning of the series she was so young and naive and truly believed that she was doing the right thing, being the true "Lady" she was raised to be, by being loyal to Joffrey. All the things she did that people hate her for (lying about Arya and the bakers boy, trying to get Ned to say he committed treason, acting so arrogant, etc.) were just her doing what she thought was the right thing according to the expectations of everyone around her. Then suddenly her whole world is torn inside out, she learns the hard way that honor, loyalty, expectations, etc. mean pretty much nothing. Now she has lost her family, dignity, and has suffered through so much shit. How anyone can still hate her baffles me.

#77 Edited by Chutebox (36431 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@sonicare said:

I personally very much believe the theory that Jon is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar.

This is pretty much the theory believed by most, I think. Also that he is going to be one of the dragon riders.

#78 Posted by LordQuorthon (5263 posts) -

Peter Dinklage is great and all, but Jack Gleeson was, by far, the best actor on Game of Thrones. It remains to be seen how well things will go for him if he decides to keep his acting career going, but the Gleeson-Joffrey combination is one of those extremely rare cases where everything, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, just clicks. His character won't be missed, but his work surely will.

#79 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament said:

@TheFlush said:
@Motokid6 said:

I have always felt so bad for Sansa. In the beginning of the series she was so young and naive and truly believed that she was doing the right thing, being the true "Lady" she was raised to be, by being loyal to Joffrey. All the things she did that people hate her for (lying about Arya and the bakers boy, trying to get Ned to say he committed treason, acting so arrogant, etc.) were just her doing what she thought was the right thing according to the expectations of everyone around her. Then suddenly her whole world is torn inside out, she learns the hard way that honor, loyalty, expectations, etc. mean pretty much nothing. Now she has lost her family, dignity, and has suffered through so much shit. How anyone can still hate her baffles me.

definitely. there are very few characters that stick around for a good chunk of the story that i find myself really hating. joffrey and gregor clegane come to mind, but it's not a very long list after those 2. even cersei and tywin lannister at least have their reasons even if they don't necessarily redeem them. i pity sansa more than anything.

#80 Posted by Aljosa23 (24577 posts) -

Cool episode and lol at the cut from the scene with Theon to Tyrion eating a sausage. That was great.

@LoG-Sacrament said:

@TheFlush said:
@Motokid6 said:

The people that still hate Sansa are the same weirdos that despised Skylar lol.

#81 Posted by Chutebox (36431 posts) -

Peter Dinklage is great and all, but Jack Gleeson was, by far, the best actor on Game of Thrones. It remains to be seen how well things will go for him if he decides to keep his acting career going, but the Gleeson-Joffrey combination is one of those extremely rare cases where everything, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, just clicks. His character won't be missed, but his work surely will.

I agree, he fucking nailed it. I don't think I've ever hated a character in a show/movie like him.

#82 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1743 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@LordQuorthon said:

I agree, he fucking nailed it. I don't think I've ever hated a character in a show/movie like him.

For a moment, after that death scene, I felt as though all the problems of our real world were gone, as if I was living under his reign with the characters in the show. When he is on screen, I am literally frightened, his presence and aura was perfect for the character. That last sequence had my heart racing like crazy.

I hope he sees success in the future.

#83 Edited by hippiesanta (9766 posts) -

Well... that happened... He deserved to die, he was such an asshole, but despite that he was so fun to watch too.

The Pigeons got their payback

#84 Posted by stationplay_4 (442 posts) -

hahaha the only death in a show where everyone is happy it happens. great actor though.

#85 Edited by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

Well... that happened... He deserved to die, but I'm gonna miss his character, he was such an asshole, but despite that he was so fun to watch too.

Also, as someone who's not read the books I have to say I'm struggling to see how there are 5 books, with at least 2 more to come in the future, because it doesn't seem like there'll be any characters left to write about soon.

He just keeps bringing characters in. A lot are from Dornce. It really never slows down. The 4th book to me isn't as action packed as the third and fifth but yet there is still a lot happening like always.

It looks like season 3 is going to overlap into book 4. What do you guys think?

#86 Posted by Motokid6 (5121 posts) -

@spike6958 said:

Well... that happened... He deserved to die, he was such an asshole, but despite that he was so fun to watch too.

What was this quick shot all about? Is it showing the the pie was poisoned? Because i thought it was the wine.

#87 Edited by johnd13 (7911 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@sonicare said:

This is pretty much the theory believed by most, I think. Also that he is going to be one of the dragon riders.

Oh my, I've never considered these possibilities. I kinda took for granted that Jon's mother was just a lady or serving girl/maid or whatever. But it seems naive of me, jon's origin has to be of some significance to the story.

Though I believe that Ned Stark has to be his father. I mean some of Ned's other children are wargs as depicted in the books(Bran mostly and Arya to some extent as well) and Jon is one as well. Unless it's just something in the Stark blood in general and so Lyanna could be his mother, hmm...

#88 Posted by hippiesanta (9766 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

@hippiesanta said:

@spike6958 said:

What was this quick shot all about? Is it showing the the pie was poisoned? Because i thought it was the wine.

The Pie is not poison ... I think...... but now the birds is laughing at Jofrey from heaven

#89 Edited by SaintLeonidas (25894 posts) -

@johnd13: I believe their being Wargs has more to do with the Stark lineage, not just Ned. I think all Starks were probably Wargs, some never knowing, and the reason so many in this generation have discovered this ability is the return of dragons.

#90 Posted by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

@johnd13: I believe their being Wargs has more to do with the Stark lineage, not just Ned. I think all Starks were probably Wargs, some never knowing, and the reason so many in this generation have discovered this ability is the return of dragons.

Yeah and the fact Bran being crippled plays a lot into it. Also them finding the wolves in the first place was an omen. These books were so well written.

#91 Posted by Serraph105 (27735 posts) -

All praise the red god amiright?

#92 Posted by Motokid6 (5121 posts) -

@Serraph105: Nope. The Lord of Light. Stannis's spell he performed with the leeches is playing out. Rob, now Joffrey. Now.. In the books Balon is already dead at this point. Making it complete. So im not sure how there going to tie that in.

#93 Edited by Serraph105 (27735 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

@Serraph105: Nope. The Lord of Light. Stannis's spell he performed with the leeches is playing out. Rob, now Joffrey. Now.. In the books Balon is already dead at this point. Making it complete. So im not sure how there going to tie that in.

same god different names according to the wiki page.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Lord_of_Light

it would be interesting to know which god was in charge. hell maybe they are playing their own game of thrones.

edit actually that would make sense, the more people who believe in them the more their power grows. They could do little things, like say have one good man (Ned Stark) killed which in turn starts a war which ends up killing huge swaths of believers.

#94 Edited by Motokid6 (5121 posts) -

They may be two sides of the same coin. Red god is death, Lord of Light is life. Ying and Yang. Melisandra seems to be a sort of extremest. As Thoros of Myr put it "Ill worship him my way and you can worship him your way." So to speek.. but id say the Lord of Light is favoring Thoros on that one :p Far too early to tell i suppose. There is something with this New God.. it all ties together somehow i bet. The red comet ( which strangely hasn't been mentioned much ) The red lady, the red god. All came to be not long after the dragons were born.

Lol I could go on but were only on episode two so lets wait and see.. were off to a god start thats for sure lol.

#95 Posted by neojavy (49 posts) -

I'm still glad that King Joffrey is dead.

#96 Posted by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

Didn't see last nights episode. Was it any good?

#97 Edited by SaintLeonidas (25894 posts) -

Thoroughly pissed at the completely unnecessary "character assassination" of Jamie last night. Effectively ruined three seasons of character development and destroyed the legitimacy of any development that is supposed to come from him. Why they changed that scene from the book so much is beyond me

#98 Posted by Reaper4278 (337 posts) -

Thoroughly pissed at the completely unnecessary "character assassination" of Jamie last night. Effectively ruined three seasons of character development and destroyed the legitimacy of any development that is supposed to come from him. Why they changed that scene from the book so much is beyond me

How did it go in the book?

#99 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25894 posts) -

And

@SaintLeonidas said:

How did it go in the book?

Cersei resisted at first, only because she was afraid someone would see them and not because she didn't want it, and she quickly gets into it even more so than him - as in she actually said "yes" multiple times, kissed him back, "guided" him, repeats his name and how she missed him, etc. It was clearly consensual in the books. Making it rape goes against everything they've done so far with the character and ruins all the development that is supposed to happen (if they follow the book) with him and Brienne.

#100 Posted by Serraph105 (27735 posts) -

I was rather ticked about that too, made me wonder what the point of the last two seasons was.