Game of thrones season 3...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Anyone else excited for this? I hope they stay at least somewhat true to the books. Season 2 was messing up Danaerys' story.

#2 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -
I am cautiously optimistic. Even though it will inevitably continue to mess up the source material it is still better than most new stuff anyways.
#3 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

yeah, i'm excited for it but i'm trying to temper that excitement. i don't have HBO so i'll have to wait until the blu-ray release.

i like that they deviate from the source material a bit. for one thing, GRR martin doesn't plan out a lot of the things that make it into the books so there is ample opportunity to make the foreshadowing smoother. also, a first person perspective just wasn't going to happen for camera so there have to be changes there. and really, that comes with some nice opportunities to show interactions that couldn't make it into the books. like that scene late in season 2 with bronn and sandor was great.

beyond that, some of the stuff i've been hearing people miss in the show seem silly. a big one is tyrion's chain. the only purpose the chain had was to show tyrion's contribution. the episode covering that event still fulfilled that purpose.

#4 Posted by THGarrett (2574 posts) -

Yep, aside from Breaking Bad this is one of my most anticipated shows of the year.

#5 Posted by dragonmaster64 (6096 posts) -
yea im excited im rewatching all of season 1 and 2 atm.
#6 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25734 posts) -
Incredibly hyped for it, more so than I am for new 'Doctor Who' and 'Mad Men' which is a surprise to me because I like them more; but I think my hype has a lot to do with the fact that I just started reading 'A Game of Thrones'.
#7 Posted by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

#8 Posted by stanleycup98 (6144 posts) -
According to all the reviews by people who got early viewings of the season, this is going to be the best season yet. I highly, highly doubt they will mess this show up. Ever.
#9 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -
Friends who have read the books tell me the pinnacle of the book series is in this season, so I am pumped.
#10 Posted by not_wanted (1977 posts) -

Can't wait. :D

87108522363849999120.gif

#11 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (27964 posts) -
Friends who have read the books tell me the pinnacle of the book series is in this season, so I am pumped. Sajo7
I've heard that, too, though I heard the second half of the book is where it shines, and that won't happen until the fourth season.
#12 Posted by Treflis (11390 posts) -
Indeed, It'll also be interesting to see how Hivju does as Thormund Giantsbane.
#13 Posted by WolfattheDoor34 (3278 posts) -
everyone dies
#14 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -
I am excited by the idea of Kit having a sex scene. Also the only stuff in the show that was not in the books that I like are Renly's extra scenes.
#15 Posted by Pittfan666 (8532 posts) -
Not really interested. Couldn't even get into the first two seasons of the series for some reason.
#16 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sajo7"]Friends who have read the books tell me the pinnacle of the book series is in this season, so I am pumped. sammyjenkis898
I've heard that, too, though I heard the second half of the book is where it shines, and that won't happen until the fourth season.

That is actually good news for me. I've heard the series kind of declines in the later books, and Martin is taking his sweet time finishing the series. So I am glad the show still has a lot of solid material to work with.
#17 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="Sajo7"]Friends who have read the books tell me the pinnacle of the book series is in this season, so I am pumped. Sajo7

That is actually good news for me. I've heard the series kind of declines in the later books, and Martin is taking his sweet time finishing the series. So I am glad the show still has a lot of solid material to work with.

the 4th book is the low point of the series (although it benefits from coming late enough that you care about the world already), but the 5th rebounds well. the trick is that both 4 and 5 happen concurrently and the show will likely merge them. there won't be a stretch where the material really takes a hit.