Freedom of Press a Bad Thing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

swavo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By swavo13
Member since 2012 • 197 Posts

Yeah, I know. You're probably already writing a very negative comment. I mean after all, you should never start censoring the press! That'd go against so many principles of democracy!

Yet if you're really already writing negative comments, it's kinda reinforcing my point. All these media with their hot topic titles, and controversial theming. And even games media where the only thing that matters is a number to slap on the game.

I just want to point out that people react too impulsive and violently on media that's been constructed to gain the most attention rather than actually being informative and objective. Maybe a censor on freedom of press is too much, but there needs to be a way to make things better. Not just for games, but the world too.

For everyone sitting at home, watching the latest robberies and murders on TV. Or people hating other people cause they think they're sexist or racist. This is all fuel adding to the fire. Even with games people just slapping meaningless scores on games, promoting console wars to have one fanboy rage against the other. All of it is trying to induce violence so people get caught up in it. And this sells. Even governments worry about what the people who shout the loudest have to say. Cause they don't hear the actual democracy that live their lives peacefully.

Aggression causes publicity. Publicity causes money. In the end no matter how hard you shout, the media will be the winner.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

No.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Censoring is bad but they do need more accountability, especially garbage like FOX News.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Freedom of the Press is always a positive foundational principle. What you are complaining about is the blurring of the lines between journalism and advocacy and between journalism and entertainment, both of which are increasingly problematic.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

Censoring is bad but they do need more accountability, especially garbage like FOX News.

Yep. Accountability but the public eats up their spin....which is a sad indictment on the public.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Freedom of spreading inaccuracies through Facebook is the real concern I feel should be addressed.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

Freedom of Press and Freedom of Speech are one and the same thing.

You are allowed to say anything you want but mind you, it shouldn't be a conjecture. Freedom of Press doesn't give any right to the media to share false information and publish wrong news that would somehow benefit them. As long as the media understand it's responsibility of sharing only what's true, Freedom of Press is valid. That includes sensationalizing and exaggerations as well.