Free .rar extractor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lycrof (6393 posts) -

I need a .rar extractor fo my laptop. Anyone know of any good free ones? I found some on google, but don't know if they are good or not.

P.S. is 7zip any good?

#2 Posted by DEATH_GODX (1473 posts) -
picozip worked for me
#3 Posted by stevenk4k5 (5605 posts) -
7-Zip is good. Use that.
#4 Posted by gotcha455 (2611 posts) -
Winrar..... It's free but It's a trial version I believe, mine's about to run out.
#5 Posted by lycrof (6393 posts) -

7-Zip is good. Use that.stevenk4k5

Sweet thanks.

#6 Posted by artichoke (2271 posts) -
Winrar..... It's free but It's a trial version I believe, mine's about to run out.gotcha455
When the trial ends it dosen't actually do anything. It just says you're trial has ended and that you should buy it. All you need to do is click cancel and it still works.
#7 Posted by pintabear49blue (4809 posts) -

[QUOTE="gotcha455"]Winrar..... It's free but It's a trial version I believe, mine's about to run out.artichoke
When the trial ends it dosen't actually do anything. It just says you're trial has ended and that you should buy it. All you need to do is click cancel and it still works.

Yep. I wonder if you can get in to trouble for that.

#8 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58110 posts) -
I use Stuffit Expander.
#9 Posted by foxhound_fox (88802 posts) -
WINRAR and 7-Zip are both good and both free. WINRAR has a "trial" period that never runs out, as long as you don't mind clicking "close" everytime you open it.
#10 Posted by -R3Vo (1790 posts) -
winRAWR
#11 Posted by DarCowAlways (571 posts) -
7-zip. It's free, no trial, and has all the features of WinRAR and more. I've used all of them, and 7-zip's way better.
#12 Posted by Zagrius (3820 posts) -
Only reason I still sometimes use winRAR is that sometimes with files split into many parts and one is corrupted, I find that with winRAR it's easier for me to find out the bad parts. Except for that, 7-zip is what I use.
#13 Posted by Helmaroc_King (108 posts) -
7-zip works great for me. I also recommend it.
#14 Posted by kornholio360 (6973 posts) -
7zip and IZArc are good.
#15 Posted by B05T0N (7051 posts) -
I use RAR Expander.
#16 Posted by SmashBrosLegend (11344 posts) -
Ubuntu comes with one ;)
#17 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58110 posts) -
Ubuntu comes with one ;)SmashBrosLegend
I was wondering why it's not a standard feature of Windows or Mac OS, and also why people make .rar files. What's wrong with .zip? I know my Mac can make .zip files and expand them also.
#18 Posted by EwanMac (879 posts) -
Me and all of my friends downloaded WinRAR, the trial version. The expiry date for the trial came and went, and it still lets me use it to its full extent. Weird.
#19 Posted by MissRiotmaker (8593 posts) -
WinRar. You can find it here: www.rarlab.com I'm not sure but WinZip might also be able to extract .rar file types.
#20 Posted by MissRiotmaker (8593 posts) -
Me and all of my friends downloaded WinRAR, the trial version. The expiry date for the trial came and went, and it still lets me use it to its full extent. Weird.EwanMac
Same thing with WinZip. It's not weird I love it.
#21 Posted by cool_baller (12491 posts) -
winrar
#22 Posted by stevendiep_100 (2193 posts) -
winrar, used it ever since I got a PC
#23 Posted by CptJSparrow (10897 posts) -
Winrar..... It's free but It's a trial version I believe, mine's about to run out.gotcha455
It never really does: I had one on my old computer that was a "30-day trial" and I used it for over a year.
#25 Posted by MissRiotmaker (8593 posts) -
fail.silent999
That's 'phail'. You sir are a phailure.
#26 Posted by Velocitas8 (10748 posts) -

[QUOTE="artichoke"][QUOTE="gotcha455"]Winrar..... It's free but It's a trial version I believe, mine's about to run out.pintabear49blue

Yep. I wonder if you can get in to trouble for that.

Nope, it's intentional. Not buying it after the trail runs out just gets you the nag-screen every time you load up WinRAR. The program is still fully functional as far as I know (at least for archive extraction.)

And yeah, 7-Zip is quite good as well.

#27 Posted by D9-THC (3081 posts) -

Lol pirate...

winrar for the...win? .rar...

Google is really better for these things.

I personally hate 7zip but it's the only format some rippers will use. I love winrar...it's so easy.

#28 Posted by D9-THC (3081 posts) -

winRAWR-R3Vo

No...it's winRARE