FOX News rips off Bioshock Infinite, hilarity ensues

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fox-news-copies-bioshock-infinite-logo-report/1100-6420895/

The logo for 2013's BioShock Infinite has allegedly been copied and appropriated for use on Fox News, Kotaku has reported.

The version of the logo shown on Fox News was used to illustrate an interview with the governor of Texas about immigration.

The logo shares a similar shape to that of the BioShock Infinite logo, and uses a similar colour scheme. The stars used in BioShock Infinite's logo also remain in Fox News' design.

In response to the logo's appearance, BioShock creator Ken Levine tweeted, "It's irony."

BioShock Infinite was released for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC in March last year to very positive reception. The game has gone on to sell six million copies.

Columbia does seem like it would be Social Conservative paradise so it makes sense that they chose to plagiarize from that game but still, amazing

Also, "Defending The Homeland"? Sounds like something The Onion would make up.

the picture is in the link and could someone else post it?

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

Columbia does seem like it would be Social Conservative paradise so it makes sense that they chose to plagiarize from that game but still, amazing

Excuse me, what?

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

Can't post the picture. I'm amazed by how poor it looks. You'd think they would make something better looking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Kevlar101 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Excuse me, what?

Half-kidding but have you played it? There's tons of ridiculous propaganda posters everywhere touting American exceptionalism, weird religious society that worships the founding figures as gods, white supremacy and racism, racial purity, etc etc. this is all in the first hour or two of the game.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Excuse me, what?

I'm guessing "Columbia" is the name of the place where the Bioshock Infinite game takes place. I don't know what it's like, but the underwater city called Rapture in the original Bioshock game and run by Andrew Ryan, was supposed to be designed on libertarian principles (although I don't know if Aljosa can describe it as a "Social Conservative Paradise" since the ideology on which Ryan founded Rapture is against religion and morals and believes in pretty much unleashing science and technology without moral constraint).

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Guessing some bored intern having some fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@whipassmt said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Excuse me, what?

I'm guessing "Columbia" is the name of the place where the Bioshock Infinite game takes place. I don't know what it's like, but the underwater city called Rapture in the original Bioshock game and run by Andrew Ryan, was supposed to be designed on libertarian principles (although I don't know if Aljosa can describe it as a "Social Conservative Paradise" since the ideology on which Ryan founded Rapture is against religion and morals and believes in pretty much unleashing science and technology without moral constraint).

Bingo. Rapture is based on Libertarian principles and Columbia is based on an exaggerated version of the far religious right. They are entirely different.

You should play Infinite if you haven't, it's a decent game.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

One of the most over-hyped games of 2013. I traded that one in quick after that big letdown.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

I await pics of Obama photoshopped as the false shepherd

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 whipassmt

It's probably not that uncommon for one company to coincidentally use a logo that is common with someone else's logo.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jasean79

@whipassmt said:

It's probably not that uncommon for one company to coincidentally use a logo that is common with someone else's logo.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

@whipassmt said:

Did you look at the logos? It's not just similar, it's damn near identical. There's no way it's simple coincidence.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@whipassmt said:

It looks way too similar to just be a coincidence.

Besides, wouldn't be the first time something like this happened: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/12/16/tea-party-group-unironically-utilizes-bioshock-infinite-propaganda/

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By whipassmt

@Aljosa23 said:

@whipassmt said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Excuse me, what?

Bingo. Rapture is based on Libertarian principles and Columbia is based on an exaggerated version of the far religious right. They are entirely different.

Infinite is the third game, right? My cousin has the first one, so I played that at his house a bit. It was decent, the big daddies were kind of cool.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Got you covered man

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

A new low lol

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jasean79

Ken Levine should be thanking Fox News. It made his shitty game relevant again.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
@whipassmt said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Excuse me, what?

Columbia is very different from Rapture. Rapture is all about Ayn Rand Objectivism, whereas Columbia is more about American hyper-nationalism. Basically imagine "The Music Man," but with over-the-top racism.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

Guess they didn't learn anything from when that Tea Party group used that mural from Bioshock Infinite...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
@whipassmt said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@whipassmt said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Excuse me, what?

Infinite is the third game, right? My cousin has the first one, so I played that at his house a bit. It was decent, the big daddies were kind of cool.

yep, Infinite takes place in a sky city that makes a mockery of right wing christian fundamentalism

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Fox News is running out of assets.