Fox News Host Says Santa Is White...

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by plageus900 (1081 posts) -

@Flubbbs said:

Jesus was white and so is Santa.. haha deal with it

Assuming Jesus even existed and having been Jewish and born in the Middle-East, one can deduce that Jesus was in fact, not white.

#52 Posted by MysteryJ0ker (93 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

@Flubbbs said:

Assuming Jesus even existed and having been Jewish and born in the Middle-East, one can deduce that Jesus was in fact, not white.

He was either white or Arabic. One of the two. Why people argue over a dead man that will never miraculously rise from the grave again is beyond me.

#53 Posted by themajormayor (25847 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

Damn you kids are stupid.

Haven't you ever heard of Jolly Old St Nick? St Nicholas?

He was Turkish. So he had Brown Skin.

St Nicholas

Also Jesus was from Nazareth. He was a Middle Eastern Jew. He had Brownish skin as well.

Neither are Caucasian .

He was Greek actually. In any case, both Greek people and Jews are Caucasian.

#54 Posted by themajormayor (25847 posts) -

@MysteryJ0ker said:

@plageus900 said:

@Flubbbs said:

He was either white or Arabic. One of the two. Why people argue over a dead man that will never miraculously rise from the grave again is beyond me.

There was nothing Arabic about Jesus. Jesus was Jewish and afaik Jews are at the very least Caucasian.

#55 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7805 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@MysteryJ0ker said:

@plageus900 said:

@Flubbbs said:

There was nothing Arabic about Jesus. Jesus was Jewish and afaik Jews are at the very least Caucasian.

Causation covers people in the horn of Africa, northern Africa, and parts of south Asia. I'm pretty sure she said he was WHITE. You can have brown or dark skin and still be Caucasian as its a broad term. St. Nicholas was certainly not Germanic or Anglo Saxon in any respect.

#56 Posted by themajormayor (25847 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@themajormayor said:

@MysteryJ0ker said:

@plageus900 said:

@Flubbbs said:

Causation covers people in the horn of Africa, northern Africa, and parts of south Asia. I'm pretty sure she said he was WHITE. You can have brown or dark skin and still be Caucasian as its a broad term. St. Nicholas was certainly not Germanic or Anglo Saxon in any respect.

No disagreements on that. However I think some definitions of white could cover "brown" people.

#57 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (7805 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@themajormayor said:

No disagreements on that. However I think some definitions of white could cover "brown" people.

I agree in that sense, however I'm more in the camp of one who sees race as a superficial term. We're all humans after all.

Saying Jesus was Caucasian is correct but saying he's white? That's a pretty far stretch.

#58 Posted by Nuck81 (5861 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@Nuck81 said:

St Nicholas

Also Jesus was from Nazareth. He was a Middle Eastern Jew. He had Brownish skin as well.

Neither are Caucasian .

Greece is pretty far from Bethlehem Israel, which is where he was born.

#59 Posted by themajormayor (25847 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

@themajormayor said:

@Nuck81 said:

St Nicholas

Neither are Caucasian .

Greece is pretty far from Bethlehem Israel, which is where he was born.

Saint Nicholas was a Greek I mean.
Not Jesus, he was Jewish.

#60 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@Nuck81 said:

St Nicholas

Neither are Caucasian .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patara_%28Lycia%29

Countries back then don't exactly share the same borders they do now. Most depictions of him have him with fairly dark olive skin, pretty much exactly what you'd see in that region today. Jesus probably was of similar complexion.

#61 Edited by playmynutz (6062 posts) -

He can be white, you guys can have Santa clause. I'm sure Jesus is no anglo-saxon.

#62 Posted by themajormayor (25847 posts) -

@Ace6301 said:

@themajormayor said:

@Nuck81 said:

St Nicholas

Neither are Caucasian .

Countries back then don't exactly share the same borders they do now. Most depictions of him have him with fairly dark olive skin, pretty much exactly what you'd see in that region today. Jesus probably was of similar complexion.

Exactly. Which is why he is Greek. And Greeks are Caucasian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Nicholas

"Nicholas was born a Greek[12][13][14] in Asia Minor"

Jesus was Jewish. Jews are Caucasian. Caucasian includes people in Western Asia such as Jews and Arabs.

#63 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29383 posts) -

Why does anyone care what skin color Jesus or St Nicholas had?

#64 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8155 posts) -

Jesus and Santa are both fictional characters anyway.

#65 Edited by Zelda187 (944 posts) -

I know Santa is a fictional character...but what exactly is so absurd about this?

I don't know about you, but when I think "Santa Claus" I immediately think of a jolly, old, WHITE fat guy in a red suit.

I saw jackasses on CNN saying that not only should Santa be depicted as different races, but different sexual orientations as well. LOL

#66 Posted by Zelda187 (944 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p: LOL...no

Even many scholars who are atheists and have no belief in religion whatsoever pretty much universally agree that Jesus of Nazareth was a real guy who walked the Earth roughly 2,000 years ago.

It's just debatable as to whether he was the messiah or not.

#67 Posted by Meinhard1 (6775 posts) -

The article she is criticizing proposes that Santa should be changed to to a (raceless Penguin)

To me Santa is such an iconic cultural character. And changing his appearance would take the magic out of him.

While the newscaster is being ignorant and foolish, the person whose ideas provoked her has poor taste.

#68 Posted by AFBrat77 (24137 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

St Nicholas

Neither are Caucasian .

Turks and those from the middle east are considered Caucasian

#69 Edited by themajormayor (25847 posts) -

@AFBrat77 said:

@Nuck81 said:

St Nicholas

Neither are Caucasian .

And he was not a Turk.

#70 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Always thought of Santa Claus as St. Nick. If he was Greek, I guess he was sort of white.

#71 Edited by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@Nuck81 said:

St Nicholas

Neither are Caucasian .

And he was not a Turk.

He was from Lycia, which is now Turkey...

Would you prefer we call him Lycian?

#72 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@Ace6301 said:

@themajormayor said:

@Nuck81 said:

St Nicholas

Neither are Caucasian .

Jesus was Jewish. Jews are Caucasian. Caucasian includes people in Western Asia such as Jews and Arabs.

I somehow doubt this particular woman would consider someone with the complexion Saint Nicolas had as "white". I'm not going to bother looking to see who first said Caucasian first in this topic but Kelly said "white" which isn't all that the term Caucasian covers.

#73 Posted by themajormayor (25847 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

@themajormayor said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@Nuck81 said:

St Nicholas

Neither are Caucasian .

And he was not a Turk.

He was from Lycia, which is now Turkey...

Would you prefer we call him Lycian?

He was Greek. Turkey used to be heavily populated by Greeks.

#74 Posted by themajormayor (25847 posts) -

@Ace6301 said:

@themajormayor said:

@Ace6301 said:

@themajormayor said:

@Nuck81 said:

St Nicholas

Neither are Caucasian .

I somehow doubt this particular woman would consider someone with the complexion Saint Nicolas had as "white". I'm not going to bother looking to see who first said Caucasian first in this topic but Kelly said "white" which isn't all that the term Caucasian covers.

Fair enough

#75 Edited by GIJames248 (2176 posts) -

To be fair to Fox News.. Santa, last I checked, is almost universally portrayed as white. Fox provides plenty of media-style cluelessness so I'm not sure why the OP is having to try to pretend this is particular statement is stupid or offensive when I'm sure he could find plenty of other stuff to ridicule them for.

#76 Posted by Kenocratic (99 posts) -

Well he, or she can get publicity from saying Santa is white. If it riles up enough people. So they can promote their websites, books, etc.

#77 Posted by bobaban (10560 posts) -

Contemporary Santa is white, contemporary Jesus is white. The people that they were based off of, were mostly likely light brown.

#78 Posted by whipassmt (14034 posts) -

Most images of Santa Claus are white.

#79 Posted by whipassmt (14034 posts) -

That article is outdated, Kelly has since elaborated on her claims. It would be better to watch what she said last night, than to condemn her based on some second hand account linked to in the OP.

#80 Posted by Silverbond (16066 posts) -

Just because the truth makes a lot of your jimmies rustle, doesn't mean you can change it.

Neither Santa nor Jesus were white.

#81 Edited by whipassmt (14034 posts) -

If I recall correctly Kelly was reacting to a claim by Aisha Harris that it Santa Claus is often portrayed as white, which is alienating to minorities, and then Santa Claus should be replaced by a racially-neutral penguin.

#82 Posted by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -

If Jesus is white so is Mohammed. I'm not sure Fox would like the idea of that.

#83 Posted by whipassmt (14034 posts) -

Santa is White, Zwarte Piet is black.

Oh and: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=santa+claus&FORM=HDRSC2. What do you notice?

#84 Posted by ronaldmonster (1110 posts) -

@Flubbbs: I'm hoping that this was really dry sarcasm.

#85 Edited by Flubbbs (3143 posts) -

@ronaldmonster: no its not sarcasm.. are you upset?

#86 Posted by jimkabrhel (15420 posts) -

I figured that even someone at Fox News would final realize that Santa isn't white or black or brown. Santa ISN'T REAL. Sorry to break the news to you kiddies.

#87 Posted by Serraph105 (28149 posts) -

here is the full video if anyone cares to watch.

http://crooksandliars.com/2013/12/fox-news-host-megyn-kelly-assures-children

it's as stupid as you might expect.

#88 Posted by whipassmt (14034 posts) -

@jimkabrhel said:

I figured that even someone at Fox News would final realize that Santa isn't white or black or brown. Santa ISN'T REAL. Sorry to break the news to you kiddies.

her show is on early enough that some kids might be watching, which is why she said it the way she said it as she did.

#89 Edited by chaoscougar1 (36824 posts) -

She explained, "The way we do it on the Fox News Channel is the straight news anchors—like myself—give a hard time to both sides."
lolwut

#90 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

Apparently Kelly's backtracked after national ridicule.

Why Fox News hires such morons is beyond me, but at least they're good for a laugh.

#91 Edited by Master_Live (14812 posts) -

Megyn, baby, don't let this unfortunate situation deter you from your career goals. Call me!

#92 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7805 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

Why Fox News hires such morons is beyond me, but at least they're good for a laugh.

She can't even admit she was flat out wrong. Just like Bill O'Reilly couldn't admit he was a total dip shit with his moon and tides comment.

#93 Edited by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@Makhaidos said:

She can't even admit she was flat out wrong. Just like Bill O'Reilly couldn't admit he was a total dip shit with his moon and tides comment.

God, that's still hilarious. "You can't explain that!"

#94 Edited by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -

He's a fictional character. Who gives a flying fuck what colour he is. Make santa purple for all I care.

#95 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Any role model, fairy tale, hero, w/e has to be white or kids will grow up assuming white people aren't superior.

#96 Posted by deeliman (2443 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

Say what you will about her, but she's still pretty hot.

#97 Posted by deeliman (2443 posts) -

@whipassmt said:

Santa is White, Zwarte Piet is black.

Oh and: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=santa+claus&FORM=HDRSC2. What do you notice?

Actually, zwarte piet is also white, the reason his face is black is because of the soot in the chimneys he climbs.

#98 Edited by SrgtSaggy101 (1865 posts) -

Santa is from white culture, so he's white. Come up with your own thing for once, stop trying to steal ours.

#99 Posted by Netret0120 (2199 posts) -

The fact this silly topic nearly has 100 posts show that racism is as strong as ever on GS and in the world.

#100 Posted by magicalclick (22813 posts) -

Well, the picture of him as typical white bear is the one I consider Santa.