Fox confirms 'X-Files' reboot talks

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#1 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

You guys think it would work?

Fox’s new agenda is looking a lot like their old one. Confirming some prior reports, the network’s leadership says they are seriously chasing a reboot of The X-Files and are possibly interested in bringing back Prison Break too (along with yet another edition of 24 as well)

On The X-Files front, Fox chairman and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman say they have been in talks with series creator Chris Carter about reviving the supernatural procedural, which was a major hit for the network from 1993 to 2002. The executives also revealed they hope to have original series stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson reprise their roles on the show.

ne thing all three titles have in common is they’re properties of 20th Century Fox Television, which Walden and Newman ran prior to adding the Fox broadcast network to their plate last year.

“It’s true that we’ve had some conversations on X-Files,” Newman said. “We’re hopeful of being able to bring that back at some point.”

Walden added: “Gary and I both worked [at 20th Century Fox Television] through the entire run of The X Files. It was a great experience. We’ve maintained good relationships with Chris, David and Gillian. We’re very hopeful, but it’s hard. The actors are very busy. They have a lot going on. Chris has a lot on his plate, so it’s just trying to carve out the time.”

Amazon recently declined to make Carter’s new post-apocalyptic series project The After, so the writer-producer may be more open to revisiting his past. More problematic is that Duchovny has an upcoming NBC event series, Aquarius, while Anderson has a recurring role on NBC’s Hannibal. Both actors would presumably have to get contractually clear of their commitments to Fox’s rival before signing onto an X-Filesrelaunch.

As for Prison Break, the team sounded more skeptical of a reboot coming together, but also very interested. “There is some speculation in the press about Prison Break, which honestly was slightly news to us,” Newman said. “Although we’ve made it clear over the years to the studio that we would bring Prison Break back in a heartbeat. It’s probably the perfect event series. If our old partners in that show are interested, that would be great.”

It wasn’t clear if the executives planned to do Prison Break with a new cast or not, but the show’s stars Dominic Purcell and Wentworth Miller are currently recurring as villains on The CW’s The Flash.

Source

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Never got to watch the original X-Files...been meaning to, though.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Allicrombie

You really should.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Reboots almost always fail, so I don't know, but I wouldn't write it off just yet, it could be good, I mean, the original was even though it's not my fav show ever, so we'll see.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Love The X-Files, would be great to see a reboot. Hope they can do it justice though.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

It's one of those shows I've missed out on during its initial run. It seems Fox is trying to being back a lot of it's old shows. This past fall, it was announced Sony was working on a spinoff series of Married...with Children, with Bud Bundy as the lead. I can see Fox picking this up as well.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Rather a X part mini series with a story-arc than a fully fledged thing.

In general the ending to the x-files was really shitty in the last few seasons: a band aid would be welcome, much like how "Rocky Balboa" helped wipe the shitstain of Rocky 5.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

I loved the X-Files. If it was only half as good as the original, I'd still watch it.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

You know what show they really ought to reboot? "ReBoot". With today's improved quality of CGI, (and as long as the writing were still good) that would kick ass! Let's get on that, Mainframe/Rainmaker Entertainment!

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@megagene said:

You know what show they really ought to reboot? "ReBoot". With today's improved quality of CGI, (and as long as the writing were still good) that would kick ass! Let's get on that, Mainframe/Rainmaker Entertainment!

ReBoot was simply awesome.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup

@hallenbeck77 said:

It's one of those shows I've missed out on during its initial run.

It gets re-runs pretty much across the whole world. Quite surprised to them re-run the xfiles at 9am and 12 in the morning in the UK. The little kids watching tiny tots are in for a surprise when they switch over to Sky Atlantic.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

If they mean a remake, yeah no. But if by "reboot" they mean continuing the story like they did with 24 then I might dig that. It seems it might be the latter.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#13 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Been meaning to watch the original sometime. This news has likely kickstarted that.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

I hope this doesn't happen. Yeah, there may be some fresh material they can bring now that time has passed, but I think it should just be left alone. If it has to happen, they need to make sure whatever long-running arc is planned out in advance.

EDIT: Plus Gillian is already busy with a serialized show, though there's the potential of her getting killed off/show getting cancelled.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup

@sammyjenkis898 said:

I hope this doesn't happen. Yeah, there may be some fresh material they can bring now that time has passed, but I think it should just be left alone. If it has to happen, they need to make sure whatever long-running arc is planned out in advance.

EDIT: Plus Gillian is already busy with a serialized show, though there's the potential of her getting killed off/show getting cancelled.

Two. "The Fall", and "Hannible".

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Two. "The Fall", and "Hannible".

Right, but there is no season three planned at the moment. Hannibal is at least mapped out for six seasons and has the benefit of other networks wanting it if it does get cancelled.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Early 90's Fox was best Fox.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#18 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

No Alli. I'd like to be able to get some sleep at night.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

As a fan of the original series, I honestly don't mind the idea of a "reboot" as long as it isn't a remake. The story is one that can be continued - two new agents assigned to the X-files is almost a no brainier. Maybe they can bring back Mulder and Scully for guest spots...and try to conclude the mythology story in a way that isn't total shit.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@korvus said:

Me neither, but it's on my list.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattbbpl

@SaintLeonidas: Continuing the mythology arc would be fine, but I'd also be fine if they didn't. Some of my favorite episodes from the series have little to nothing to do with the main arc.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SaintLeonidas

@mattbbpl said:

@SaintLeonidas: Continuing the mythology arc would be fine, but I'd also be fine if they didn't. Some of my favorite episodes from the series have little to nothing to do with the main arc.

They can do both, as the original did. That is what made the first 5 seasons so great. They had the mythology arc, and in-between those episodes they had some great "monster of the week" episodes. I don't want an X-Files procedural that is just stand alone cases every episode. They need to also focus on a much bigger conspiracy at play - which is the heart and soul of the series.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Allicrombie

@SaintLeonidas said:

As a fan of the original series, I honestly don't mind the idea of a "reboot" as long as it isn't a remake. The story is one that can be continued - two new agents assigned to the X-files is almost a no brainier. Maybe they can bring back Mulder and Scully for guest spots...and try to conclude the mythology story in a way that isn't total shit.

Allie approves.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mattbbpl

@SaintLeonidas said:

@mattbbpl said:

They can do both, as the original did. That is what made the first 5 seasons so great. They had the mythology arc, and in-between those episodes they had some great "monster of the week" episodes. I don't want an X-Files procedural that is just stand alone cases every episode. They need to also focus on a much bigger conspiracy at play - which is the heart and soul of the series.

I would prefer mixed as well. I'd love to have closure to that arc. There was a rumor that a new movie was in the works to close it off, but perhaps this is going to take the place of that.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

@korvus said:

Me neither, but it's on my list.

Me three, By the sounds of it, it does like a creepy/scary show though. O_O I mean I think I saw one episode once a long time ago, and I think it scared me throughout the night. But back then I was really young, like 10. So if I was to watch it now, I think I'd be able to bear it now, and be more immune to fear. :P

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts

Blasphemy...skully better be a redhead...

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Toph_Girl250

@br0kenrabbit said:

Yeah, I actually never watched fox that much, But I think I agree.

I also think Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network/Disney Channel were also best in early 90's as well, Though I think I'd also like to add in that they still were superb in mid and late 90's too, maybe even first few years past 2,000. After that though, something happened where all these channels started bombing big time.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@Toph_Girl250 said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

Yeah, I actually never watched fox that much, But I think I agree.

I also think Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network/Disney Channel were also best in early 90's as well, Though I think I'd also like to add in that they still were superb in mid and late 90's too, maybe even first few years past 2,000. After that though, something happened where all these channels started bombing big time.

Fox was definitely my go-to channel in the early 90's. I remember the schedule like it was yesterday, starting when I got home from school:

Tiny Toons

Duck Tales

Darkwing Duck

Animaniacs

Batman

Married with Children

In Living Color

Star Trek: TNG

X-Files

Best. Lineup. Evah.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I'd be interested in a complete remake. Bringing back the original people not so much.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

As long as it has David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson (and preferably some of the original writers) then I'm all for it.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts
@br0kenrabbit said:

Duck Tales

Darkwing Duck

Those were my most favorite, Darkwing Duck is my most favorite Disney character along with Uncle Scrooge.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Fringe essentially started as something very close to the X-Files, at least in terms of MOTW stories in season one and two. I don't know why Fox wants to try again.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Toph_Girl250

Will TV ever be the same? I fear that it might not be. Also, does Fox show any Firefly reruns? They should, that, and they should also try rebooting that show.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

They tried to do that in seasons 8 and 9, and it didn't work. It's just not The X-Files without Mulder and Scully.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@mitu123 said:

Reboots almost always fail, so I don't know, but I wouldn't write it off just yet, it could be good, I mean, the original was even though it's not my fav show ever, so we'll see.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

Awesome news. I hope they can bring back most of their orininal writers/directors.

From the old series, I loved that you were able to tell most of the time who wrote/directed the episodes just by watching them. Everyone had a unique style.

I have all the seasons on dvd, I should rewatch them soon. It's a shame that the series went downhill in the last seasons. The first 5 or 6 seasons were golden.

TonySarc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TonySarc
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I want to believe... it won't suck.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56072 Posts

This is just one of those shows that I miss out when I was a pre-teen and never got around to watching X-Files. There was a X-File movie right?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

By reboot they mean for the show to pick up from where it left or redoing the whole series with new production but same script? If its the latter then I'm hyped as ****.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@davillain- said:

This is just one of those shows that I miss out when I was a pre-teen and never got around to watching X-Files. There was a X-File movie right?

Two actually.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By uninspiredcup

I liked the first movie: it was pretty good as far as tv show to movies go.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SaintLeonidas

@xdude85 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

They tried to do that in seasons 8 and 9, and it didn't work. It's just not The X-Files without Mulder and Scully.

Big difference between trying to cram two new actors into the show and story arc to fill in for those two characters vs. starting over completely with two young new agents with actual room for development.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mattbbpl

@Big_Pecks said:

Fringe essentially started as something very close to the X-Files, at least in terms of MOTW stories in season one and two. I don't know why Fox wants to try again.

Yeah, Fringe was kind of a spiritual successor to the X-Files in a "Bad Robot" kind of way. They blatantly paid homage to the X-Files more than a few times.

I liked Fringe quite a bit (despite it's flaws), but it excelled for different reasons than the X-Files did. Fringe also lost/abandoned a lot of the creepy, "You're on your own" element that I like about the X-Files.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The only way I would even be interested in an X-Files reboot is if David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are involved. It would be entirely motivated by nostalgia.