Fortune 500: 1) Wal-Mart, 2) Exxon, 3) Chevron, 4) Berkshire

#1 Posted by Master_Live (15705 posts) -

Wal-Mart retook the top spot, Berkshire Hathaway made the top five, and Apple grew enormously.

Methodology: Companies are ranked by total revenues for their respective fiscal years. Included in the survey are companies that are incorporated in the U.S. and operate in the U.S. and file financial statements with a government agency.

  1. Wal-Mart Stores
  2. Exxon Mobil
  3. Chevron
  4. Berkshire Hathaway
  5. Apple
  6. Phillips 66
  7. General Motors
  8. Ford Motor
  9. General Electric
  10. Valero Energy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awwwwwww, can you smell the oil? So for which of these companies would you rather work for OT?

#2 Edited by BranKetra (49585 posts) -

I would like to know if any of those are in the top ten of a customer satisfaction list.

So for which of these companies would you rather work for OT?

A car company would be my choice if I could design and develop their computer systems.

#3 Edited by plageus900 (1231 posts) -

Awwwwwww, can you smell the oil? So for which of these companies would you rather work for OT?

None of them really. If I had to choose, it would be General Electric Aviation.

Wal-Mart just makes me laugh. If the company went up in flames, I could probably care less.

#4 Edited by playmynutz (6322 posts) -

Wal-mart needs to become it's own independent country; I'd work with them and get the employees to just live in the little village that is wal-mart. All it needs is showers in the restrooms, and bedrooms on the roof.

#5 Posted by foxhound_fox (90562 posts) -

I guess I'd work for the Special Vehicle Team division of Ford. Test driving.

#6 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

I suspect General Motors will drop significantly on that list come this time next year. I wouldn't buy another GM vehicle ever.

Ford would probably be my choice to work with - American company that didn't take bailout money from the government. I have a lot of respect for them, and I own one and has been the best car I've had thus far.

#7 Posted by comp_atkins (31942 posts) -

of those on your list, GE i guess. though I already work for one of the companies on the list, just not top10

#8 Posted by magicalclick (23738 posts) -

Exxon is the best actually. Top5 in every single category. Market value, solid asset, revenue, profit, profit margin.

And GM is 7? Give me a break. It needs government to save it from bankruptcy. At least Ford doesn't need saving. I am a bad Ford customer though, still driving my 1997 Ford Escort. Some people like to trash talk about Ford and the car is super basic, but, it grows on me after all these years.

I wonder if I will ever get a boyfriend like that. Basic, simple, down to earth, low maintenance, loyal, and its stars align with me nicely.

#9 Edited by lostrib (42016 posts) -

Just about any of those I would probably need a different degree, unless the energy/gas related ones are doing research on BioFuels

#10 Posted by gamerguru100 (11097 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

Awwwwwww, can you smell the oil? So for which of these companies would you rather work for OT?

Wal-Mart just makes me laugh. If the company went up in flames, I could probably care less.

Agreed. They rake in hundreds of billions of dollars, yet they still pay their cashiers and stockers only eight fucking dollars an hour, while the CEO probably gets paid $100,000 each day just to wipe his ass. I really do hate this world.

#11 Posted by thegerg (15897 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

Awwwwwww, can you smell the oil? So for which of these companies would you rather work for OT?

None of them really. If I had to choose, it would be General Electric Aviation.

Wal-Mart just makes me laugh. If the company went up in flames, I could probably care less.

How much less?

#12 Posted by comp_atkins (31942 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

@plageus900 said:

Awwwwwww, can you smell the oil? So for which of these companies would you rather work for OT?

Wal-Mart just makes me laugh. If the company went up in flames, I could probably care less.

Agreed. They rake in hundreds of billions of dollars, yet they still pay their cashiers and stockers only eight fucking dollars an hour, while the CEO probably gets paid $100,000 each day just to wipe his ass. I really do hate this world.

as far as profit goes though they're waaay down the list. they make like 16B on over 470B in revenue.... that's like 3% profit.

a company like apple could be considered way more money grubbing by your measures. their profit is like 21%

#13 Posted by lostrib (42016 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@plageus900 said:

Awwwwwww, can you smell the oil? So for which of these companies would you rather work for OT?

None of them really. If I had to choose, it would be General Electric Aviation.

Wal-Mart just makes me laugh. If the company went up in flames, I could probably care less.

How much less?

lol

#14 Posted by Master_Live (15705 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

@plageus900 said:

Awwwwwww, can you smell the oil? So for which of these companies would you rather work for OT?

Wal-Mart just makes me laugh. If the company went up in flames, I could probably care less.

Agreed. They rake in hundreds of billions of dollars, yet they still pay their cashiers and stockers only eight fucking dollars an hour, while the CEO probably gets paid $100,000 each day just to wipe his ass. I really do hate this world.

There is always suicide.

#15 Posted by thegerg (15897 posts) -

@comp_atkins: Facts be damned!

#16 Posted by gamerguru100 (11097 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@plageus900 said:

Awwwwwww, can you smell the oil? So for which of these companies would you rather work for OT?

Wal-Mart just makes me laugh. If the company went up in flames, I could probably care less.

Agreed. They rake in hundreds of billions of dollars, yet they still pay their cashiers and stockers only eight fucking dollars an hour, while the CEO probably gets paid $100,000 each day just to wipe his ass. I really do hate this world.

as far as profit goes though they're waaay down the list. they make like 16B on over 470B in revenue.... that's like 3% profit.

a company like apple could be considered way more money grubbing by your measures. their profit is like 21%

Whatever their profits, it's still bullshit. With sixteen billion fucking dollars in profits, they should still be able to pay their workers more than peanuts.

#17 Posted by comp_atkins (31942 posts) -
@gamerguru100 said:

@comp_atkins said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@plageus900 said:

Awwwwwww, can you smell the oil? So for which of these companies would you rather work for OT?

Wal-Mart just makes me laugh. If the company went up in flames, I could probably care less.

Agreed. They rake in hundreds of billions of dollars, yet they still pay their cashiers and stockers only eight fucking dollars an hour, while the CEO probably gets paid $100,000 each day just to wipe his ass. I really do hate this world.

as far as profit goes though they're waaay down the list. they make like 16B on over 470B in revenue.... that's like 3% profit.

a company like apple could be considered way more money grubbing by your measures. their profit is like 21%

Whatever their profits, it's still bullshit. With sixteen billion fucking dollars in profits, they should still be able to pay their workers more than peanuts.

a public corporation exists for the benefit of the shareholders, not the employees. as i mentioned i work for a fortune 500 company and i see the crazy shit they do all the time in the name of "shareholder value" that is bad for employees and potentially bad for the corporation in the long run.

#18 Edited by Evo_nine (2089 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Wal-Mart retook the top spot, Berkshire Hathaway made the top five, and Apple grew enormously.

Methodology: Companies are ranked by total revenues for their respective fiscal years. Included in the survey are companies that are incorporated in the U.S. and operate in the U.S. and file financial statements with a government agency.

  1. Wal-Mart Stores
  2. Exxon Mobil
  3. Chevron
  4. Berkshire Hathaway
  5. Apple
  6. Phillips 66
  7. General Motors
  8. Ford Motor
  9. General Electric
  10. Valero Energy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awwwwwww, can you smell the oil? So for which of these companies would you rather work for OT?

No wonder the world isn't trying to push renewable energy.

Look at all those oil companies.

Thank god ill be dead and buried before they destroy the earth with unprecedented Co2 emission's.

#19 Edited by TruthTellers (3393 posts) -
@jasean79 said:

Ford would probably be my choice to work with - American company that didn't take bailout money from the government. I have a lot of respect for them, and I own one and has been the best car I've had thus far.

Here, Here! Ford is an awesome automobile manufacturer with very sounds business policies. Their Trucks are top notch, but their cars leave a lot to be desired. I like the Fusion, but everything else, including the Mustang and Taurus/Five Hundred, don't excite me much. Now if only they would put a TDI Diesel Engine in a Focus...

#20 Edited by TruthTellers (3393 posts) -

The two companies I take issue with in this top ten list is Wal-Mart and Berkshire Hathaway as neither produce a substantive service or product. Wal-Mart disgusts me in every way because every time I walk into their stores it's crowded as fuck and I hate shopping their because their goods are second rate/factory seconds that they sell like they're just the same as the other products in other stores but for less. IT'S LESS FOR A REASON MORONS!

I don't care about the employees pay as imo I don't see how stocking shelves and gathering shopping carts warrants paying unskilled labor $10 or more an hour. Wal-Mart isn't a place to make a living off of by working their 40+ hours a week, it's a place to supplement a person's income by working their on weekends or a few hours in the evening after your regular job, but because of how shitty the economy is and how unskilled most of the labor force is, Wal-Mart has become many people's full time job. You can thank Bill Clinton for that because he signed NAFTA, you can thank the many Unions who jacked up wages to increase their take and line their pockets with, and you can thank the business owners for hiring third world trash that work for a third what the skilled American workers do.

Edit: Everybody is at fault and they will reap what they sow!

#21 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

@TruthTellers said:
@jasean79 said:

Ford would probably be my choice to work with - American company that didn't take bailout money from the government. I have a lot of respect for them, and I own one and has been the best car I've had thus far.

Here, Here! Ford is an awesome automobile manufacturer with very sounds business policies. Their Trucks are top notch, but their cars leave a lot to be desired. I like the Fusion, but everything else, including the Mustang and Taurus/Five Hundred, don't excite me much. Now if only they would put a TDI Diesel Engine in a Focus...

It just happens to be that I drive a Ford Fusion! :)

#22 Posted by TruthTellers (3393 posts) -
@jasean79 said:

@TruthTellers said:
@jasean79 said:

Ford would probably be my choice to work with - American company that didn't take bailout money from the government. I have a lot of respect for them, and I own one and has been the best car I've had thus far.

Here, Here! Ford is an awesome automobile manufacturer with very sounds business policies. Their Trucks are top notch, but their cars leave a lot to be desired. I like the Fusion, but everything else, including the Mustang and Taurus/Five Hundred, don't excite me much. Now if only they would put a TDI Diesel Engine in a Focus...

It just happens to be that I drive a Ford Fusion! :)

Yeah, they look like nice cars. I'm interested in getting a used hybrid version of the Fusion in a couple years... depending on price. Really, I don't think a person can go wrong buying either a hybrid or a TDI Diesel. Both will save thousands in fuel over the life of the vehicle.

#23 Posted by GazaAli (23596 posts) -

You'd think Wal-Mart would be willing to pay its employees decent wages seeing how it came on top in the list of most affluent American corporations. Bewildering.

#24 Edited by GazaAli (23596 posts) -
@TruthTellers said:

and you can thank the business owners for hiring third world trash that work for a third what the skilled American workers do.

Oh my...

#25 Posted by TruthTellers (3393 posts) -
@GazaAli said:

You'd think Wal-Mart would be willing to pay its employees decent wages seeing how it came on top in the list of most affluent American corporations. Bewildering.

Again, how does stocking selves and running a register demand a higher pay from Walmart when the same jobs are done at regular grocery stores the like paid exactly the same? Just because Wal-Mart makes a lot more money than those regular supermarkets doesn't mean that it has to pay it's employees more. In fact, it means they should lower their damn prices because it's the customers who are the cause for all those sales.

#26 Posted by TruthTellers (3393 posts) -
@GazaAli said:
@TruthTellers said:

and you can thank the business owners for hiring third world trash that work for a third what the skilled American workers do.

Oh my...

I take it you don't like that comment. Well, that's too damn bad.

#27 Posted by GazaAli (23596 posts) -

@TruthTellers said:
@GazaAli said:

You'd think Wal-Mart would be willing to pay its employees decent wages seeing how it came on top in the list of most affluent American corporations. Bewildering.

Again, how does stocking selves and running a register demand a higher pay from Walmart when the same jobs are done at regular grocery stores the like paid exactly the same? Just because Wal-Mart makes a lot more money than those regular supermarkets doesn't mean that it has to pay it's employees more. In fact, it means they should lower their damn prices because it's the customers who are the cause for all those sales.

I find it strange that someone with a full time job would need to rely on food stamps and other variations of aid or welfare. It defeats the purpose of having a full time job and it definitely harms the job market which is something that could be observed through the fact that business owners opt for, to use your own words, third world trash. The fact that Wal-Mart is a mammoth of a publicly-traded corporation should have a bearing to the wages its employees get. I'm not sure how to convey the idea here, but large corporations supposedly have a public image to maintain and because of the role they play in the economies where they operate they're given incentives and facilities to their advantage in order to prosper and benefit the entire economy with their prosperity. I think its what you guys call trickle down economics. In addition, such corporations re allowed to have tremendous political influence for the same reasons I already mentioned. With that said, if such a corporation like Wal-Mart is simply not willing to pay its employees decent wages then it all goes for nothing except for the interest of a handful of people. It constitutes a breakdown of the economical system and its corresponding political one in a way. In fact not only does it solely benefit those handful of people, but one can also argue that it hurts, not just "not benefit", a whole lot of other people.

#28 Edited by GazaAli (23596 posts) -

@TruthTellers said:
@GazaAli said:
@TruthTellers said:

and you can thank the business owners for hiring third world trash that work for a third what the skilled American workers do.

Oh my...

I take it you don't like that comment. Well, that's too damn bad.

What's to like in that comment?

#29 Edited by TruthTellers (3393 posts) -
@GazaAli said:

@TruthTellers said:
@GazaAli said:

You'd think Wal-Mart would be willing to pay its employees decent wages seeing how it came on top in the list of most affluent American corporations. Bewildering.

Again, how does stocking selves and running a register demand a higher pay from Walmart when the same jobs are done at regular grocery stores the like paid exactly the same? Just because Wal-Mart makes a lot more money than those regular supermarkets doesn't mean that it has to pay it's employees more. In fact, it means they should lower their damn prices because it's the customers who are the cause for all those sales.

I find it strange that someone with a full time job would need to rely on food stamps and other variations of aid or welfare. It defeats the purpose of having a full time job and it definitely harms the job market which is something that could be observed through the fact that business owners opt for, to use your own words, third world trash. The fact that Wal-Mart is a mammoth of a publicly-traded corporation should have a bearing to the wages its employees get. I'm not sure how to convey the idea here, but large corporations supposedly have a public image to maintain and because of the role they play in the economies where they operate they're given incentives and facilities to their advantage in order to prosper and benefit the entire economy with their prosperity. I think its what you guys call trickle down economics. In addition, such corporations re allowed to have tremendous political influence for the same reasons I already mentioned. With that said, if such a corporation like Wal-Mart is simply not willing to pay its employees decent wages then it all goes for nothing except for the interest of a handful of people. It constitutes a breakdown of the economical system and its corresponding political one in a way. In fact not only does it solely benefit those handful of people, but one can also argue that it hurts, not just "not benefit", a whole lot of other people.

Well, you gotta look at it from the other perspective of how Wal-Mart helps low income people with it's "low prices" and large selection of goods. You can't have low prices without having a low employee base, but again, how does doing menial tasks constitute a basis of increasing wages to $10, $11, $12 an hour pay? If it takes literally no skill or knowledge whatsoever to do the work that the majority of Wal-Mart's employees do then there is no reason to pay them higher wages simply because they are part of the company. And as I stated in the earlier post that you didn't care for, a job at Wal-Mart should not be someone's full time job or sole basis of income. A job at Wal-Mart, in my opinion, is one that supplements a person's income by working there a few hours a week. Too many rely on Wal-Mart as their sole means of employment because they can't find work elsewhere or aren't skilled enough to do anything else. That's the way it is and ideally, working at Wal-Mart should be done by young people who still live with their parents, not by the 30 and 40 somethings who are desperate for employment.

Edit: and just a reminder, I don't like Wal-Mart. I avoid it as best as I can until I gotta stretch the last few dollars at which I take that long drive into the parking lot looking for a place to park and take a deep breath and dive into the madhouse and try to GTFO ASAP. Of course, this is Wal-Mart and waiting at the checkout takes as long as actually shopping there.

#30 Edited by one_plum (6364 posts) -

@TruthTellers said:
@GazaAli said:

I find it strange that someone with a full time job would need to rely on food stamps and other variations of aid or welfare. It defeats the purpose of having a full time job and it definitely harms the job market which is something that could be observed through the fact that business owners opt for, to use your own words, third world trash. The fact that Wal-Mart is a mammoth of a publicly-traded corporation should have a bearing to the wages its employees get. I'm not sure how to convey the idea here, but large corporations supposedly have a public image to maintain and because of the role they play in the economies where they operate they're given incentives and facilities to their advantage in order to prosper and benefit the entire economy with their prosperity. I think its what you guys call trickle down economics. In addition, such corporations re allowed to have tremendous political influence for the same reasons I already mentioned. With that said, if such a corporation like Wal-Mart is simply not willing to pay its employees decent wages then it all goes for nothing except for the interest of a handful of people. It constitutes a breakdown of the economical system and its corresponding political one in a way. In fact not only does it solely benefit those handful of people, but one can also argue that it hurts, not just "not benefit", a whole lot of other people.

Well, you gotta look at it from the other perspective of how Wal-Mart helps low income people with it's "low prices" and large selection of goods. You can't have low prices without having a low employee base, but again, how does doing menial tasks constitute a basis of increasing wages to $10, $11, $12 an hour pay? If it takes literally no skill or knowledge whatsoever to do the work that the majority of Wal-Mart's employees do then there is no reason to pay them higher wages simply because they are part of the company. And as I stated in the earlier post that you didn't care for, a job at Wal-Mart should not be someone's full time job or sole basis of income. A job at Wal-Mart, in my opinion, is one that supplements a person's income by working there a few hours a week. Too many rely on Wal-Mart as their sole means of employment because they can't find work elsewhere or aren't skilled enough to do anything else. That's the way it is and ideally, working at Wal-Mart should be done by young people who still live with their parents, not by the 30 and 40 somethings who are desperate for employment.

Edit: and just a reminder, I don't like Wal-Mart. I avoid it as best as I can until I gotta stretch the last few dollars at which I take that long drive into the parking lot looking for a place to park and take a deep breath and dive into the madhouse and try to GTFO ASAP. Of course, this is Wal-Mart and waiting at the checkout takes as long as actually shopping there.

If we're following the supply and demand law of capitalism, then there is nothing outrageous about Wal Mart paying Chinese workers $0.55 an hour as long as they agree to do it.