Former President Clinton to Obama: Honor Your Promise

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Clinton: Obama should honor health care pledge that he made when he stated repeatedly "If you like your health care coverage, you can keep it, Period!" as well as "If you like your doctor, you can keep him, Period!" which we now see isn't really true due to the cancellation of insurance policies and the reduction in network size for the minimum requirements that insurance plans call for due to Obamacare. With people suddenly finding their doctor not in the network they can get insurance in, they are having to look for new doctors. They are also finding that to keep their doctor, they are having to buy different, more expensive insurance in order to do so.

If Clinton right for calling out Obama on this?

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2  Edited By jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

Keeping promises is not really one of Obama's strengths. I don't mind Clinton calling him out at all.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

New found respect for Clinton

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Clinton is right. Obama should honor his promise, but how exactly he can accomplish that is the tricky part. In other words how do you ensure that people don't lose their plans due to the notsoAffordable Care Act?

From what I understand the reason many plans are being cancelled is because they don't meet the minimum standards required by the law. One way to allow people to keep their current health-insurance plans would be to amend the law and get rid of those minimum requirements, though that is unlikely. Another way to let people keep their plans would be to amend the law to exempt plans in existence prior to January 2014 from those minimum requirement (and from the HHS mandate), so that the requirements would only effect people who purchase plans next year, not those who already have purchased plans and would just be renewing or modifying their current plan in the future.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WhiteKnight77

We all know Presidents make promises that they do not intend to keep due to finding out that things are not what they seem from the outside and they get filled in on the reality of holding that office, but with a definitive declaration of such that he made in respect to the ACA, he should be held accountable by the electorate as well as called out by anyone, especially one who helped him stump for it as Clinton did. All second terms are lame duck terms for Presidents and it is up to them to ensure that their accomplishments of their first can measure up to expectations, but this is not happening with Obama.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 whipassmt

@WhiteKnight77:

Politicians should keep promises, but in order to really do so they have to make fewer promises and when they do make promises they should use more nuance.

Obviously sometimes circumstances change and it would not be possible or prudent to keep the promise, in which case the president should explain himself to the people and say why he can't or shouldn't keep the promise.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

This coming from a guy who promised to love and honor his wife by having sex with another woman.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

I think its already too late for him to keep his promise. I have already lost my plan and have a new one ( a very expensive one). I can't imagine the nightmare it would be to undo what has already been done~

I still wouldn't mind getting a letter from Regence saying i can have my old plan back though, but I just don't see it happening.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

Yes Clinton is right for calling him out......wish more people did.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WhiteKnight77

@f22_king_raptor said:

This coming from a guy who promised to love and honor his wife by having sex with another woman.

And lied about it to everyone too boot. Two peas in a pod? They both lied big time to the American public and punctuated it very severely.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

@f22_king_raptor said:

His lie just got him a blowjob. Obama's lie is screwing us all.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WhiteKnight77

@huggybear1020 said:

@f22_king_raptor said:

His lie just got him a blowjob. Obama's lie is screwing us all.

Oh, I am sure Monica Lewinsky knew that Clinton was married as well as the rest of Clinton's dalliances knew. It wasn't his first affair after all.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HuggyBear1020

I meant lying under oath about getting the said blowjob.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WhiteKnight77

@huggybear1020 said:

I meant lying under oath about getting the said blowjob.

Lying under oath to Congress is a crime.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HuggyBear1020

Nobody is denying that it is. But Obama's lie has much more far-reaching consequences on people like you and me. 5 million have already lost insurance the majority of people like me who still have insurance have have seen premiums go way up. And this after Obama's steadfast promises that we can keep our plans and nobody's premiums will go up.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
@f22_king_raptor said:

"Kissing" =/= sex

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

What can I say, Obama is a liar.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Anyone would be right to call him out on it. The only reason he's doing so now though, is to distance the Clinton name from Obama so that Hillary won't have to justify Obamacare when she runs. Campaign season's starting early this time. One day this week MSNBC had an hour long special on how we were "ready for Hillary."

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

@dave123321 said:

After he did the bombing on Christians in Bosnia and Kosovo?

As such Christians are being persecuted in Bosnia.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WhiteKnight77

@huggybear1020 said:

Nobody is denying that it is. But Obama's lie has much more far-reaching consequences on people like you and me. 5 million have already lost insurance the majority of people like me who still have insurance have have seen premiums go way up. And this after Obama's steadfast promises that we can keep our plans and nobody's premiums will go up.

Another way to look at Clinton's lie is that at the same time he was stating he wasn't having an affair, is that a 1st Lt. in the Air Force was having to quit due to an affair she had instead of being courts-martialed over it. As Commander in Chief, he should be leading by example, yet there he is, having an affair in office and lying about it to Congress and the public while others are doing the same thing and having to quit because of it. Hypocrisy of the highest order. Female B-52 Pilot Quits, Ends Battle With the Air Force.

Both Clinton and Obama told whoppers of a lie and both lies made each look stupid to the electorate amongst others. Yes, one is having a large impact on a large part of the electorate, it is rather rich that the person doing the calling out told just as big a whopper and was impeached for it though he wasn't convicted. Should Obama be impeached? No, but more people other than Clinton should be calling Obama to the carpet and call him out over it, yet it's funny, I have only see one comment from Pelosi, the House Majority leader who pushed that at the time and none from the Senate Majority leader, Harry Reid. Why is that? Both of them are just as responsible for this bill as Obama due to ramrodding the bill through without properly reading the bill.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HuggyBear1020

@WhiteKnight77 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Another way to look at Clinton's lie is that at the same time he was stating he wasn't having an affair, is that a 1st Lt. in the Air Force was having to quit due to an affair she had instead of being courts-martialed over it. As Commander in Chief, he should be leading by example, yet there he is, having an affair in office and lying about it to Congress and the public while others are doing the same thing and having to quit because of it. Hypocrisy of the highest order. Female B-52 Pilot Quits, Ends Battle With the Air Force.

Both Clinton and Obama told whoppers of a lie and both lies made each look stupid to the electorate amongst others. Yes, one is having a large impact on a large part of the electorate, it is rather rich that the person doing the calling out told just as big a whopper and was impeached for it though he wasn't convicted. Should Obama be impeached? No, but more people other than Clinton should be calling Obama to the carpet and call him out over it, yet it's funny, I have only see one comment from Pelosi, the House Majority leader who pushed that at the time and none from the Senate Majority leader, Harry Reid. Why is that? Both of them are just as responsible for this bill as Obama due to ramrodding the bill through without properly reading the bill.

Again, I don't deny that there's plenty of blame to go around on the bill. But you know the old saying; when you are the leader, everything that goes wrong is your fault. And in Obama's case, he had the ability to veto the ACA until the laws in it actually allowed people to keep their existing plans like he promised. And I don't buy into the whole "didn't read the bill" idea that many people say, as wrecklessly irresponsible as it sounds. High-ranking officials have an army of interns and assistants who can read through any long-winded piece of legislation and flag any important details.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

That's funny coming from Clinton, but he's right.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WhiteKnight77

@huggybear1020 said:

@WhiteKnight77 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Again, I don't deny that there's plenty of blame to go around on the bill. But you know the old saying; when you are the leader, everything that goes wrong is your fault. And in Obama's case, he had the ability to veto the ACA until the laws in it actually allowed people to keep their existing plans like he promised. And I don't buy into the whole "didn't read the bill" idea that many people say, as wrecklessly irresponsible as it sounds. High-ranking officials have an army of interns and assistants who can read through any long-winded piece of legislation and flag any important details.

That is part of the problem, Pelosi and Reid didn't want anyone to read the bill.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 whipassmt

@CommandoAgent said:

@dave123321 said:

After he did the bombing on Christians in Bosnia and Kosovo?

As such Christians are being persecuted in Bosnia.

Are Christians still being persecuted in Bosnia? I know they have been targeted in Syria for the past few years. There was recently a massacre of 85 Christians a couple weeks ago in Syria, and even more recently a Christian church and a Christian school were hit by rebel mortar fire in a Syrian village.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By whipassmt

speaking of Obamacare, was Congressman Dan Lipinski the only Democrat in Congress to vote against the bill? I think I remember hearing that. He did get re-elected, twice, since voting against Obamacare.

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

@guynamedbilly said:

Anyone would be right to call him out on it. The only reason he's doing so now though, is to distance the Clinton name from Obama so that Hillary won't have to justify Obamacare when she runs. Campaign season's starting early this time. One day this week MSNBC had an hour long special on how we were "ready for Hillary."

She'll have a much harder time distancing herself from Benghazi. That, and her "I dodged sniper bullets in Bosnia" BS, should be enough to shitcan her presidential hopes.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WhiteKnight77

@whipassmt said:

speaking of Obamacare, was Congressman Dan Lipinski the only Democrat in Congress to vote against the bill? I think I remember hearing that. He did get re-elected, twice, since voting against Obamacare.

Here is the list of the 34 Democrats who voted against the ACA:

Rep. John Adler (N.J.)

Rep. Jason Altmire (Pa.)

Rep. Michael Arcuri (N.Y.)

Rep. John Barrow (Ga.)

Rep. Marion Berry (Ark.)

Rep. Dan Boren (Okla.)

Rep. Rick Boucher (Va.)

Rep. Bobby Bright (Ala.)

Rep. Ben Chandler (Ky.)

Rep. Travis Childers (Miss.)

Rep. Artur Davis (Ala.)

Rep. Lincoln Davis (Tenn.)

Rep. Chet Edwards (Texas)

Rep. Stephanie Herseth Sandlin (S.D.)

Rep. Tim Holden (Pa.)

Rep. Larry Kissell (N.C.)

Rep. Frank Kratovil (Md.)

Rep. Dan Lipinski (Ill.)

Rep. Stephen Lynch (Mass.)

Rep. Jim Marshall (Ga.)

Rep. Jim Matheson (Utah)

Rep. Mike McIntyre (N.C.)

Rep. Mike McMahon (N.Y.)

Rep. Charlie Melancon (La.)

Rep. Walt Minnick (Idaho)

Rep. Glenn Nye (Va.)

Rep. Collin Peterson (Minn.)

Rep. Mike Ross (Ark.)

Rep. Heath Shuler (N.C.)

Rep. Ike Skelton (Mo.)

Rep. Zack Space (Ohio)

Rep. John Tanner (Tenn.)

Rep. Gene Taylor (Miss.)

Rep. Harry Teague (N.M.)

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

People need to do more then just shout and stomp around screaming liar

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WhiteKnight77

People tried to repeal Obamacare, but that failed time and again now didn't it. That the US is facing the harsh reality of what was forecast years ago is actually happening, goes to show that people should not have drank the koolaid. Is Obamacare a step in the right direction? Part of it, but as the law was written, we can see that it wasn't completely well thought out or written.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@WhiteKnight77 said:

People tried to repeal Obamacare, but that failed time and again now didn't it. That the US is facing the harsh reality of what was forecast years ago is actually happening, goes to show that people should not have drank the koolaid. Is Obamacare a step in the right direction? Part of it, but as the law was written, we can see that it wasn't completely well thought out or written.

What would you change about it then?

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

@OrkHammer007 said:

@guynamedbilly said:

She'll have a much harder time distancing herself from Benghazi. That, and her "I dodged sniper bullets in Bosnia" BS, should be enough to shitcan her presidential hopes.

I feel the same way. The "what does it matter" quote is going to be hard to overcome.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 whipassmt

@guynamedbilly said:

@OrkHammer007 said:

@guynamedbilly said:

I feel the same way. The "what does it matter" quote is going to be hard to overcome.

Plus when ever Clinton tries to criticize her opponent for something they could always just say "what difference does it make".

If she does run, the Republicans will likely use Benghazi against her. The interesting question is whether any of her Democratic opponents may try to use that against her in the primary. If Biden is her main primary opponent maybe he'd try to blame Benghazi and the whole "it was over a video" thing on Clinton and the State Dept. and maybe she'll say no it wasn't State it was the White House that's to blame.

zpluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By zpluffy
Member since 2011 • 281 Posts

Let me get this straight.... We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, who have recently demonstrated their objective and professional integrity; written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a Dumbo President who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac, and the Post Office all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!!

'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

From the moderator: You could at least give credit to Donald Trump when you choose to quote him.