Foreigners need to learn to speak English. Agree or Disagree?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#251 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
I've been to argentina and it's hard to communicate using englishhippiesanta
How strange
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

Well if you are moving to another country and actually living there then you at least have to know English. If you are going to a place on vacation or something then I guess you don't have too.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

People from other countries living here yes need to learn the language, a language is not your culture the language here is english learn it.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#254 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

I disagree and agree with the TC, the problem with this thread is there is no right or wrong answer. While many think foreigners should learn english, many foreigners infact believe Amercia should learn there language. Let me tell you a little story,

My sis was telling me how she worked at this hotel and was trying to understand a person speaking spanish, and she said sorry I only know a little bit of spanish but I dont understand what you are saying, and this guy slammed the hotel desk with his hand with money in it saying, " YOU NEED TO LEARN SPANISH!!!!"

So with that story, I really don't know what to say, one point I would say Foreigners should learn to speak english but at another point I think if the majority of people from mexico is coming to amercia we need to do our job as amercian citizens and try to help them out by learning spanish to make there stay here pleasent, I mean it could not hurt to learn it.

tmaclabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#255 tmaclabi
Member since 2006 • 17109 Posts
I agree because it would be hard to live in US if you can't speak their dialect well.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I agree because it would be hard to live in US if you can't speak their dialect well.tmaclabi

I've known plenty of people who were born and spent their whole lives in America who don't speak it well.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#257 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

well this is a forum full of liberals so this was expected

Crunchy_Nuts

So how is having multilingual kids a bad thing?

Apparently, being well versed on different languages of world is too liberal and a disgrace of American values.

Who says that? I think cultural diversity and all that is awesome, the more the better. The issue here is liberals thinking we should learn Spanish since those moving here don't want to be bothered to learn English lol. In the end learning our language is showing us you want to be here, you want to be an American. If I moved to France I would put learning the language as a priority.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 worlock77

[QUOTE="Crunchy_Nuts"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

So how is having multilingual kids a bad thing?

vfibsux

Apparently, being well versed on different languages of world is too liberal and a disgrace of American values.

Who says that? I think cultural diversity and all that is awesome, the more the better. The issue here is liberals thinking we should learn Spanish since those moving here don't want to be bothered to learn English lol. In the end learning our language is showing us you want to be here, you want to be an American. If I moved to France I would put learning the language as a priority.

This liberal (as an aside can I just say that I love how that term is thrown around as if it somehow negates the point being made) feels that our children should be taught multiple languages because we live in an incresingly globalized society and when they grow up only knowing one language is going to be a hinderance to them, especially in the job market.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#259 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]I've been to argentina and it's hard to communicate using englishchaoscougar1
How strange

strange it is... I don't speak spanish either...... but there's similarity between spanish and english language ....eg: grand in english = grande (huge)....I start to understand this while ordering bigMac....
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 Drakes_Fortune
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts
English is the world main language so yeah everyone should learn it on school. Its not our main language here our country but a large amount of us know english.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 worlock77

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="hippiesanta"]I've been to argentina and it's hard to communicate using englishhippiesanta
How strange

strange it is... I don't speak spanish either...... but there's similarity between spanish and english language ....eg: grand in english = grande (huge)....I start to understand this while ordering bigMac....

There's been a lot of cross-pollination between the two languages (along with other Western European languages) over time.

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 mysticstryk
Member since 2008 • 1709 Posts

If you are going to immigrate to any country, it makes sense to learn the predominate language of that country.

sonicare

This. Any other country expects the same.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#264 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
I work with people who speak varies of languages, it makes it easier to communicate when everyone could understand each other.