Foreigners need to learn to speak English. Agree or Disagree?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theJoker21081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 theJoker21081
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I AM NOT talking about regular immigrants, I AM talking about illeagal immigrants................BIG difference. When they come over here and break our laws and no speaky no english and not giving a rats behind about that is what irritates me. Also I have come across this every now and then by working in the hospital and it happens more than you think.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

So you think that it never happens to me at all....ok. I work at a hospital and every now and then we get these people that cant speak english and its so frustrating. Jesus Fn christ why would I just make all this uptheJoker21081

I said I doubt it happens often, which you just confirmed in your post here. Sure I said "(if ever)", but that was more of a side thought. Besides, I've never seen a hospital that didn't employ interpreters, so what's the issue?

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 worlock77

I AM NOT talking about regular immigrants, I AM talking about illeagal immigrants................BIG difference. When they come over here and break our laws and no speaky no english and not giving a rats behind about that is what irritates me. Also I have come across this every now and then by working in the hospital and it happens more than you think.theJoker21081

Oh, so if they have a Green Card and don't speak English that's fine?

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
Agree. If I was to move someplace else I'd learn their language . Might take me some time but I'd learn it if I was going to be living there.
Feryraiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#206 Feryraiser
Member since 2009 • 1574 Posts

1. If I was going to move to country where English was not the dominant language, then I would try and learn w/e language was (would not expect others to accommodate me) 2. However, the dominant language reflects the population that lives there NOW ...America is moving in a direction to where there is not one dominant language and we should all adjust accordinglyrawsavon

Captured my thoughts exactley....

high five!

theJoker21081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 theJoker21081
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I will say one last time Immigration= great thing for america, illegal immigration= bad thing for america, I am now done with this topic have a nice day everyone(even the ones who disagree with me).
Avatar image for blackacidevil96
blackacidevil96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 blackacidevil96
Member since 2006 • 3855 Posts

alright, its only sensible to say you should make an attempt to learn the language of whatever country you are living in....but. not all of us have the time to dedicated to learning a new language, so it most cases its best to just pick it up casually.

also in many countrys around the world, though every country has their native tongues, the language of bussiness is almost entirely english. ive been to 30 countries and lived in the middle east for 11 years. ive never learned another language (not formally anyway, know how to give/get directions greetings, and insults). and it has never once been a problem.

ok so heres the bottom line, everyone needs to get over themselves. stop expecting everyone to go out of their way to accomodate you and stop making the extremely bold statement that you would go out of your way to accomodate them. saying and doing are two completely different things, and learning a language is not amongst the easier tasks in adult life

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#209 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

I say if you're hiring someone that has to talk to customers, then they should speak english. I find it ridiculous how I can't order a burger with ease. Always have to think about what they said.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

... I agree to a certain extent. Gosh, I have neighbors that doesnt understand a single word. If you cant utter "hello", at least learn to say "no english". It feels like they want me to learn their language sometimes instead :\

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#211 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I think a country should most definitely attempt to have a official language.. A unified language would make government services such as law enforcement much more efficient if there is not a language gap at times.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I think English should be the official language of this God damn planet already.

coolbeans90
I concur. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

If you are going to immigrate to any country, it makes sense to learn the predominate language of that country.

sonicare

thats true, but not here in the U.S. where we'll change everything to spanish and come up with kid shows like dora the explorer to teach american kids how to speak spanish.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 worlock77

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

If you are going to immigrate to any country, it makes sense to learn the predominate language of that country.

iwilson1296

thats true, but not here in the U.S. where we'll change everything to spanish and come up with kid shows like dora the explorer to teach american kids how to speak spanish.

So a private company shouldn't be free to what it wishes with its properties?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 deactivated-5ee322a396e26

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

worlock77

what?

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]thats true, but not here in the U.S. where we'll change everything to spanish and come up with kid shows like dora the explorer to teach american kids how to speak spanish.

iwilson1296

what?

You seem to have a problem with a private company dubbing their own property (Dora the explorer) into whatever language they want.
MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#218 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
While I sorta agree, I don't think it is just as easy to learn English so quickly. I am sure a lot of people who keep complaining about Mexicans or other foreigners getting the jobs are probably people who are too lazy to keep looking. Some of the jobs I can't even see many born Americans doing anyway.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#219 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I understand some spanish so I'm not concerned about the ever growing spanish population here. >.>

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 deactivated-5ee322a396e26

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Crunchy_Nuts

what?

You seem to have a problem with a private company dubbing their own property (Dora the explorer) into whatever language they want.

i have a problem with the message, why not try to teach them english?

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 worlock77

[QUOTE="Crunchy_Nuts"][QUOTE="iwilson1296"]what?

iwilson1296

Because it's a show aimed at English speaking children to teach them another language. There are already shows that help teach English. Sesame Street has been doing that for 40 years. So why do you have a problem with this?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 deactivated-5ee322a396e26

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

[QUOTE="Crunchy_Nuts"] You seem to have a problem with a private company dubbing their own property (Dora the explorer) into whatever language they want.worlock77

Because it's a show aimed at English speaking children to teach them another language. There are already shows that help teach English. Sesame Street has been doing that for 40 years. So why do you have a problem with this?

because i think their catering to illegal immigrants who don't want to speak english and many of them don't.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"] i have a problem with the message, why not try to teach them english?

iwilson1296

because i think their catering to illegal immigrants who don't want to speak english and many of them don't.

Right, because people who don't want to speak English are really going to be watching a show that is mostly in English.

BlackHawk340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 BlackHawk340
Member since 2006 • 4418 Posts

So I am dutch and we have shows teaching kid english, I am not mad about this at all, its good for their development.
Why should you be mad kids are thought spanish? its a world language aswell.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 deactivated-5ee322a396e26

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Right, because people who don't want to speak English are really going to be watching a show that is mostly in English.

what are you talking about? the show is aimed at american kids, as i already stated

Avatar image for deactivated-590595a6292ce
deactivated-590595a6292ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 deactivated-590595a6292ce
Member since 2008 • 5080 Posts

If their coming to a country where English is the main language, then yes.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]because i think their catering to illegal immigrants who don't want to speak english and many of them don't.

iwilson1296

what are you talking about? the show is aimed at american kids, as i already stated

So then how is it catering to illegal immigrants?

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts

So I am dutch and we have shows teaching kid english, I am not mad about this at all, its good for their development.
Why should you be mad kids are thought spanish? its a world language aswell.

BlackHawk340

Because we have a very vocal contingent of xenophobes who are too lazy to go beyond English, and too witless to challenge themselves. By the same token, we have a slightly greater (as in, orders of magnitude greater) immigration from legal and illegal sources per capita than the Netherlands/Holland. There is a rich heritage of immigration in this country, and an equally rich and obnoxious habit of each generation wanting to be the LAST generation of immigrants. The rest is pissing and moaning about something that has a minimal effect on life, but seems to elicit a strong response.

Ideally, yeah, people should learn the language of the country they immigrate to, but if not, we shouldn't be *****ing ourselves for those who don't, or take a generation or two to get into the swing of things.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Frame_Dragger
[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Teaching Spanish to American kids is not enrichment in his world, it's a plot, a plot I say!!!! I blame hyperintelligent pandas... :P
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#230 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

I don't mean to sound mean towards all the foreigners like Mexicans or whatever but come on.

Learn to speak Enlighs before coming here to the U.S. and taking our damn jobs.

slamminjammin69
"They Took Our Jobs!"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 deactivated-5ee322a396e26

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

by teaching american kids spanish, teaching the future generations how to speak the language that the millions of incoming immigrants are speaking, see what i'm saying?

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Frame_Dragger
[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]what are you talking about? the show is aimed at american kids, as i already stated

by teaching american kids spanish, teaching the future generations how to speak the language that the millions of incoming immigrants are speaking, see what i'm saying?

Yes... you'll be teaching kids a useful language, but somehow that's awful because... um.... you're super-paranoid and think this going to move the USA away from English despite hundreds of years of evidence to the contrary? Or... something about those pandas again...
Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Crunchy_Nuts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]what are you talking about? the show is aimed at american kids, as i already stated

iwilson1296

So by teaching them Spanish they are losing the ability to speak English? You seem to believe that children can either learn one or the other.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

iwilson1296

And the problem with having multilingual kids is what exactly?

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Crunchy_Nuts

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

And the problem with having multilingual kids is what exactly?

dey gun' take err jerbs.
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Frame_Dragger
[QUOTE="Crunchy_Nuts"][QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

So by teaching them Spanish they are losing the ability to speak English? You seem to believe that children can either learn one or the other.

Don't you get it? We should be using that precious time to learn Mandarin, to please our Chinese masters!!! I assume that's what he means... or he's SUPER out-there in his views with no connection to logic or reality. You know... one or the other...
BlackHawk340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 BlackHawk340

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

iwilson1296

lmao i think he worries about spanish becoming the main laguage in the US.

If they want a decent job they would have to go to school, where they would need to learn english.
end off.

inb4 schools shoudnt be learning other languages aswell cause it promotes immigrants.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
They tirk err jobs! cybrcatter
DEY TKKK DDDD JAAAAABBBBSSSSSS
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Frame_Dragger

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

BlackHawk340

If they want a decent job they would have to go to school, where they would need to learn english.
end off.

inb4 schools shoudnt be learning other languages aswell cause it promotes immigrants.

I think the practice of teaching Latin is actually an attempt to ressurect ancient Rome. So tricky!!! :P

BlackHawk340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 BlackHawk340

[QUOTE="BlackHawk340"]

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]by teaching american kids spanish, teaching the future generations how to speak the language that the millions of incoming immigrants are speaking, see what i'm saying?

Frame_Dragger

end off.

I think the practice of teaching Latin is actually an attempt to ressurect ancient Rome. So tricky!!! :P

OH NOES!, On my school I learned dutch, english, french and german.
only can mean 1 thing......

They want to reinstate nazi germany!

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Frame_Dragger

[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"]

[QUOTE="BlackHawk340"]

end off.

BlackHawk340

OH NOES!, On my school I learned dutch, english, french and german.
only can mean 1 thing......

They want to reinstate nazi germany!

Mein Gott in himmel!!!!! You're right... SS Nordland will be reborn and France will be the first target. Someone, quick, alert Glenn Beck! ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 deactivated-5ee322a396e26

well this is a forum full of liberals so this was expected

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 worlock77

iwilson1296

So how is having multilingual kids a bad thing?

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

I don't mean to sound mean towards all the foreigners like Mexicans or whatever but come on.

Learn to speak Enlighs before coming here to the U.S. and taking our damn jobs.

slamminjammin69

After reading your enchanting tale, I've taken up 'Enlighs' lessons in order to to fit in perfectly with the U.S of A!

By the way, is 'Enlighs' a dialect of Klingon or something?

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Crunchy_Nuts

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

worlock77

Apparently, being well versed on different languages of world is too liberal and a disgrace of American values.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

Crunchy_Nuts

Apparently, being well versed on different languages of world is too liberal and a disgrace of American values.

Well based on his lack of response I'm guessing he doesn't have a good, logical reason.

majinstrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 majinstrings
Member since 2004 • 3109 Posts

If you're going to move to another country, you need to learn that country's primary language...

If you're just visiting...at least learn a little...

That's how I feel...

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#249 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="slamminjammin69"]Learn to speak Enlighs before coming here to the U.S. and taking our damn jobs.Just-Breathe

I lol'd so hard.

lol Greatness
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#250 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
I've been to argentina and it's hard to communicate using english