Foreigners need to learn to speak English. Agree or Disagree?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by slamminjammin69 (1599 posts) -

I don't mean to sound mean towards all the foreigners like Mexicans or whatever but come on.

Learn to speak Enlighs before coming here to the U.S. and taking our damn jobs.

#2 Posted by Just-Breathe (3130 posts) -

Learn to speak Enlighs before coming here to the U.S. and taking our damn jobs.slamminjammin69

I lol'd so hard.

#3 Posted by Kcube (25389 posts) -
Speak englihs or get out Sorry but I am laughing
#4 Posted by sonicare (53620 posts) -

If you are going to immigrate to any country, it makes sense to learn the predominate language of that country.

#5 Posted by cybrcatter (16210 posts) -
They tirk err jobs!
#6 Posted by BlindBluMonstah (13825 posts) -
i went into a chinese store in china town and nobody spoke english heh it was interesting cause all i wanted to know was where was their soya sauce section i got really embarassed for not knowing there language i dont know why xD
#7 Posted by rawsavon (40002 posts) -
1. If I was going to move to country where English was not the dominant language, then I would try and learn w/e language was (would not expect others to accommodate me) 2. However, the dominant language reflects the population that lives there NOW ...America is moving in a direction to where there is not one dominant language and we should all adjust accordingly
#8 Posted by BiscuitCruiser (352 posts) -
At least learn simple stuff, like hello. [WHEN IN A COUNTRY THAT'S MAIN LANGUAGE IS ENGLISH] I have met people who don't know a single bit of English [who lived in England] and got angry when people don't know what they are talking about.
#9 Posted by Jandurin (95552 posts) -
eh it's not that hard to understand people, even in a different language
#10 Posted by Nude_Dude (5371 posts) -
he don't even speak good english *snicker*
#11 Posted by rastotm (1380 posts) -

They tirk err jobs! cybrcatter

I was thinking exactly the same :P

#12 Posted by xxmatt125xx (1899 posts) -
If I moved I would learn the language, it would only make sense to. Emigrating and refusing to learn the language of that country is pretty ignorant to me and it would only narrow your opportunities in the future.
#13 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

I don't mean to sound mean towards all the foreigners like Mexicans or whatever but come on.

slamminjammin69

Irony overload, please tell me you meant this.

#14 Posted by foxhound_fox (90820 posts) -
 Conversely, American's should learn other languages when traveling to foreign countries.
#15 Posted by Jandurin (95552 posts) -
Conversely, American's should learn other languages when traveling to foreign countries.foxhound_fox
when just TRAVELING? wtf if i'm going somewhere for 2 - 4 weeks, i am not going to learn their language everyone speaks money all i need is money
#16 Posted by sonicare (53620 posts) -
 Conversely, American's should learn other languages when traveling to foreign countries.foxhound_fox
I always brush up on my canadian before heading north of the border.
#17 Posted by cybrcatter (16210 posts) -

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Conversely, American's should learn other languages when traveling to foreign countries.Jandurin
when just TRAVELING? wtf if i'm going somewhere for 2 - 4 weeks, i am not going to learn their language everyone speaks money all i need is money

Est ce que tu comprends Visa, Mastercard, Bitcoin?

#18 Posted by airshocker (30978 posts) -

If you mean illegal immigrants, absolutely.

I think it should also be a requirement for citizenship.

#19 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -
TC, do you happen to be responsible for one of these:

#20 Posted by MushroomWig (11624 posts) -
Sure, everyone who visits another country should learn the language out of respect.
#21 Posted by Thuganomic05 (3446 posts) -
I think they should - but I don't think it should be MANDATORY... Kind of like it is now... this is working.
#22 Posted by tofu-lion91 (13481 posts) -
Ignoring TC's ignorant post and answering the question: Yes but you'll be surprised at how many do. Even the patient's that need interpreters can usually speak a good enough level of English to arrange appointments etc. I think we take for granted how difficult it is to learn a new language, so hats off to them all! :)
#23 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -
Considering that people who don't speak English well have survived in the US and have been able to conduct their dailey business for as long as the country has existed, I'd so "no." My grandfather lived here for 40 years and ran several successful businesses while only speaking Chinese. So it is not a "need".
#24 Posted by foxhound_fox (90820 posts) -
when just TRAVELING?Jandurin
You don't need to learn the whole language. Just enough to get around. Demanding someone who speaks English in a foreign country isn't going to make any friends.
I always brush up on my canadian before heading north of the border.sonicare
I'm not your buddy, guy.
#25 Posted by cybrcatter (16210 posts) -
He's not your guy, friend.
#26 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

It is a good idea to learn the language of the country you are going to live in, but if you are able to survive without knowing it well... suit yourself and do whatever you want.

#27 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

I think English should be the official language of this God damn planet already.

#28 Posted by ChampionoChumps (2380 posts) -
I think we should take this one step further. Everyone who dun no english should be killed by capital punishmetn. I n the intier world............................................................................................................................................................
#29 Posted by Oleg_Huzwog (21885 posts) -

He's not your guy, friend. cybrcatter

He's not your friend, buddy.

#30 Posted by punkpunker (3324 posts) -

slamminjammin69

agreed, as my country is plagued with non-english speaking chinese workers and un-ethical hiring policies.

#31 Posted by Ncsoftlover (2112 posts) -

I would not move to a country where their official language is one I'm not intending to learn.

#32 Posted by Jandurin (95552 posts) -
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]You don't need to learn the whole language. Just enough to get around. Demanding someone who speaks English in a foreign country isn't going to make any friends.

eff that just bring a translation dictionary
#33 Posted by Ncsoftlover (2112 posts) -

[QUOTE="slamminjammin69"]

punkpunker

agreed, as my country is plagued with non-english speaking chinese workers and un-ethical hiring policies.

Where is this country?

#34 Posted by Reptylus (1875 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jandurin"]when just TRAVELING?foxhound_fox
You don't need to learn the whole language. Just enough to get around. Demanding someone who speaks English in a foreign country isn't going to make any friends.

Actually no. Almost everyone on the world who went to school can speak English at least good enough to tend to a traveler's needs. I don't know of any country that does not teach English at school.
#35 Posted by foxhound_fox (90820 posts) -
He's not your friend, buddy.Oleg_Huzwog
And you're not my buddy, guy.
#36 Posted by entropyecho (22053 posts) -

We should all learn Spanish.

#37 Posted by ristactionjakso (6115 posts) -

agreed. Im tired of being pushed in a direction to conform to foriegners and illegals, just for a political agenda.

#38 Posted by rawsavon (40002 posts) -

agreed. Im tired of being pushed in a direction to conform to foriegners and illegals, just for a political agenda.

ristactionjakso
OR ...your position is headed in a direction where you are no longer the majority, and you will have to adapt (same as everyone not in the majority)
#39 Posted by Horgen (111167 posts) -

It is a good idea to learn the language of the country you are going to live in, but if you are able to survive without knowing it well... suit yourself and do whatever you want.

Pierst179
Lots of eastern Europeans doesn't bother to learn Norwegian... Yet they live and work here, get their whole family here... And their kids learn Norwegian when they reach school age, not a single day before.
#40 Posted by thegerg (16052 posts) -
I think they should, but I also expect most people working in industries that hire immigrants to learn at least some of their native language too.
#41 Posted by jimmyjammer69 (12224 posts) -
[QUOTE="Pierst179"]

horgen123
Lots of eastern Europeans doesn't bother to learn Norwegian... Yet they live and work here, get their whole family here... And their kids learn Norwegian when they reach school age, not a single day before.

Blame the Norwegians for speaking such good English that there's never a need to learn the language.
#42 Posted by GreySeal9 (25077 posts) -

They should for their own sake, but I'm not one of these people who want to make it some kind of requirement.

#43 Posted by punkpunker (3324 posts) -

Where is this country?

Ncsoftlover

I'm currently in singapore, a country smaller then manhattan itself with a population of 5 mil. 60% of the population is foreigners,most of them are the result of the goverment blindeye employment policies.In here, we are the 'american dream' of asia.and i'm planning to leave if the policies here goes to the dump.

#44 Posted by Horgen (111167 posts) -
[QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="Pierst179"]

jimmyjammer69

Blame the Norwegians for speaking such good English that there's never a need to learn the language.

They don't even speak English. Well some of them don't, most of them speak it poorly.... But those who don't expect us to understand them...
#45 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ncsoftlover"]

Where is this country?

punkpunker

I'm currently in singapore, a country smaller then manhattan itself with a population of 5 mil. 60% of the population is foreigners,most of them are the result of the goverment blindeye employment policies.In here, we are the 'american dream' of asia.and i'm planning to leave if the policies here goes to the dump.

Wait, you're complaining about Chinese speakers in Singapore not learning English? Uh, mandarin is one of the four languages officially recognized by the government in singapore, if I remember correctly.
#46 Posted by FUloin33 (477 posts) -

This is the united states.

And in the united states, we speak...english.

That language i do not understand.

Therefore it makes me ANGRY.

#47 Posted by jimmyjammer69 (12224 posts) -
[QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="horgen123"] Lots of eastern Europeans doesn't bother to learn Norwegian... Yet they live and work here, get their whole family here... And their kids learn Norwegian when they reach school age, not a single day before.

They don't even speak English. Well some of them don't, most of them speak it poorly.... But those who don't expect us to understand them...

Crikey! Those Eastern Europeans and their crazy expectations.
#48 Posted by vfibsux (4281 posts) -
While the op is being a little raw on this subject I agree to an extent. My grandparents were brought to America from Italy in the 1920's, their parents did not let them speak Italian from that day on. They told them "We are Americans now, we speak English." Now I think that was a bit drastic, I believe immigrants should hold on to their culture and language while assimilating into American society. The great thing about early immigrants is they came here to be AMERICANS. They did not come here to be Italians who live in America. This is what is lost on many immigrants today. Too many today come here and find a place that resembles their country and there they stay. They do not learn the language, they do not partake in our culture, nothing. I find this very insulting. If you want to come to America because you believe in what it is to be American and want to be called such then I WELCOME YOU! If you just want to come here and bottom feed go away.
#49 Posted by Wasdie (50641 posts) -

If I would move to Germany, I would learn German. If I moved to France, I would learn French. If I moved to Japan, I would learn Japanese. All of those cultures and people expect you to at least conform to that.

However if you move to the USA you don't have to learn any language and people should be forced to adapt to you. It's backwards here.

#50 Posted by vfibsux (4281 posts) -

If I would move to Germany, I would learn German. If I moved to France, I would learn French. If I moved to Japan, I would learn Japanese. All of those cultures and people expect you to at least conform to that.

However if you move to the USA you don't have to learn any language and people should be forced to adapt to you. It's backwards here.

Wasdie
Amen. It offends the hell out of me when I drive down a main street in my own city in America and cannot read a billboard because it is in 100% Spanish. Should NEVER happen. Any company I see doing it will not get my business.