Forbes: Adam Sandler is the most overpaid actor.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Master_Live (15832 posts) -

The Most Overpaid Star in Hollywood Is…

  1. Adam Sandler
  2. Katherine Heigl
  3. Reese Witherspoon
  4. Nicholas Cage
  5. Kevin James
  6. Denzel Washington
  7. Steve Carell
  8. Jennifer Aniston
  9. Matt Damon
  10. Ryan Reynolds

Man I dislike Sandler so much, I even hate his old comedies I just find this bloviating idiot distasteful.

#2 Posted by dave123321 (34371 posts) -

Push past your hate, it will cloud you man

#3 Posted by KHAndAnime (14736 posts) -

This isn't news to me. Doesn't he always pay himself 25% of the production budget of whatever movie he stars in? He's basically a scam artist in actor form.

#4 Posted by Iszdope (11293 posts) -

Hate is thicker than love.

#5 Posted by dave123321 (34371 posts) -

@Iszdope: will clog your arteries

#6 Posted by Iszdope (11293 posts) -

@dave123321: Tell me about it.

#7 Posted by Judas_ (319 posts) -

I hate bad Adam Sandler movies.................

#8 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13491 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

Hate is thicker than love.

Depends on what you eat.

#9 Posted by Iszdope (11293 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Iszdope said:

Hate is thicker than love.

Depends on what you eat.

Chicken & watermelon?

#10 Edited by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

I didn't need Forbes to tell me this.

#11 Posted by playmynutz (6391 posts) -

Saturday Night Live must be on some illuminati with all that power to make him famous

#13 Posted by indzman (19965 posts) -

i like adam

#14 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4588 posts) -

He's a crap actor

#15 Posted by dominer (3316 posts) -

Denzel Washington is overpaid?

#16 Edited by helwa1988 (2124 posts) -

@Master_Live:

I agree with that list except Matt Damon. Matt Damon is a decent actor. He's a whole lot better than Bradly Cooper that they keep on hyping up.

And you can't be serious about Denzel. Denzel is one of the greats of our time. GTFO

#17 Edited by dave123321 (34371 posts) -

@helwa1988: it's all based on numbers

#18 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58230 posts) -

Happy Gilmore is amazing and you all know it.

#19 Edited by Master_Live (15832 posts) -

@helwa1988 said:

@Master_Live:

I agree with that list except Matt Damon. Matt Damon is a decent actor. He's a whole lot better than Bradly Cooper that they keep on hyping up.

And you can't be serious about Denzel. Denzel is one of the greats of our time. GTFO

This list has nothing to do with the quality of the actors, just dollars figures.

#20 Posted by killerfist (19947 posts) -

GTFO with Denzel. I'd trow money at him all day every day.

#21 Posted by comp_atkins (32031 posts) -

@Judas_ said:

I hate bad Adam Sandler movies.................

don't be redundant

#22 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

the article even admits that return/pay can't take into account the PRESTIGE of having adam sandler in your movie. that man sang a song about sloppy joes once.

#23 Posted by k--m--k (1115 posts) -

I agree, his movies are crap and more of a scam

#24 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

anyway, my guess as to why sandler gets paid so much for what he brings in is that he owns a production company to finance his movies and none of his productions are even close to being risky enough to have to make any sacrifices in payroll. he has a good degree freedom to pay himself what he wants.

#25 Edited by jimkabrhel (15432 posts) -

This was true 15 years ago.

#26 Edited by GazaAli (23791 posts) -

That fucker makes me cringe. His voice is so irritating that I just want to bash my head to the wall and break it upon hearing it. And that smug and featureless face and smile...the agony. I have no idea how he managed to star so many movies and maintain an acting career. I mean when the producer of a movie starts casting, I really want to know his thought process that leads to the part where he'd say "Hey, let's get Adam Sandler to star this movie!"

#27 Posted by one_plum (6364 posts) -

What happened to Eddie Murphy?

#28 Edited by AFBrat77 (24265 posts) -

@indzman said:

i like adam

same, had a good laugh with "Thats My Boy" recently. Sure, its a dumb movie and yeah he plays similar characters alot. And yeah he's likely overpaid.

But heh, I enjoy quite a few of his movies, he gets me laughing, and at the end of the day thats what matters to me.

#29 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

He also tends to land roles with beautiful women while he gets pudgier and fatter with every movie.

#30 Edited by RoccoHout (1010 posts) -

All of his latest movies have been nothing but bad.... especially the Grown Up movies which I find some of the worst movies ever

#31 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13491 posts) -

Sandlers career should have mirrored that of Pauly Shores, but somehow he just keeps popping up.

#32 Edited by AFBrat77 (24265 posts) -

@LittleMac19 said:

He also tends to land roles with beautiful women while he gets pudgier and fatter with every movie.

happened with Roger Moore in the James Bond movies as well, or at least Moore was getting older and creekier with girls 25 years younger.

#33 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7889 posts) -

I still hold Billy Madison close to my heart....but 99 percent of his movies are pure garbage.

#34 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (467 posts) -

The list is based on the ratio of how much the actor was paid vs how much revenue their movies actually generated during the past year. Adam Sandler's movies only made $3.40 for every dollar he was paid, and all the actors on that list had similarly bad ratios.

#35 Posted by wiifan001 (18490 posts) -

I absolutely can't sander Sandler,

That goes double for Steve Stupid Carell. He's not funny!

#36 Edited by Iszdope (11293 posts) -

Carell is a genius.

Edit: genius!

#37 Edited by the_bi99man (11059 posts) -

@dominer said:

Denzel Washington is overpaid?


This is what I was thinking. The rest of that list I agree with completely. As for Denzel, though... He could be the highest paid actor in the world, and he wouldn't be overpaid.

#38 Edited by the_bi99man (11059 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

The list is based on the ratio of how much the actor was paid vs how much revenue their movies actually generated during the past year. Adam Sandler's movies only made $3.40 for every dollar he was paid, and all the actors on that list had similarly bad ratios.

Ah. That seems to make more sense. If that's how they're deriving the list, I guess I could see how Denzel Washington is on it. Even so, if his movies don't make much money, it's anybody's fault but his.

#39 Edited by DaBrainz (7721 posts) -

LOL movie snobs

#40 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (985 posts) -

@SolidSnake35 said:

Happy Gilmore is amazing and you all know it.

yeah, i love that movie. probably the most watched in my collection.

"They're all going to laugh at you" is probably one of my favourite comedy skit albums

#41 Edited by lamprey263 (25599 posts) -

Is there actually any info on how much they're paid for their roles? Or are they pulling numbers out of their ass?

Two that come to mind are Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck in the film Gigli, and if I remember correctly they each got paid like $20 million for starring in that movie, my thoughts are the producer thought the celebrity couple would have sold tickets at the time, which only pulled in like $6 million domestically, and $1 million abroad, the film was a failure costing like $76 million to make and only made like $7 million total.

So, $40 million just for the two actors, and it only pulled in $7 million; I'd call them overpaid. And they're not even mentioned in this list. Wikipedia notes that at the time the film was such a failure it broke records for second week drop off at the box office.

In the end though the fllm was mildly enjoyable, but a financial disaster nonetheless.

#42 Edited by Master_Live (15832 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Is there actually any info on how much they're paid for their roles? Or are they pulling numbers out of their ass?

Two that come to mind are Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck in the film Gigli, and if I remember correctly they each got paid like $20 million for starring in that movie, my thoughts are the producer thought the celebrity couple would have sold tickets at the time, which only pulled in like $6 million domestically, and $1 million abroad, the film was a failure costing like $76 million to make and only made like $7 million total.

So, $40 million just for the two actors, and it only pulled in $7 million; I'd call them overpaid. And they're not even mentioned in this list. Wikipedia notes that at the time the film was such a failure it broke records for second week drop off at the box office.

In the end though the fllm was mildly enjoyable, but a financial disaster nonetheless.

Did you read the article or are just bloviating?

From the article:

"The Forbes list looks at three years worth of work, but their master ranking of earnings is put together over the summer, which means that the three-year period ended June 1, 2013".

#43 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (9512 posts) -

The price is wrong, bitch.

#44 Edited by KHAndAnime (14736 posts) -

@DaBrainz said:

LOL movie snobs

LOL people that like Adam Sandler

#45 Posted by indzman (19965 posts) -

@AFBrat77 said:

@indzman said:

i like adam

same, had a good laugh with "Thats My Boy" recently. Sure, its a dumb movie and yeah he plays similar characters alot. And yeah he's likely overpaid.

But heh, I enjoy quite a few of his movies, he gets me laughing, and at the end of the day thats what matters to me.

True :)

#46 Posted by Netret0120 (2871 posts) -

Denzel Washington should not be there. Sandler hasn't had a good movie since "50 first dates"

That's my boy was cheap laughs and nothing i would watch twice

#47 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (467 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Is there actually any info on how much they're paid for their roles? Or are they pulling numbers out of their ass?

Two that come to mind are Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck in the film Gigli, and if I remember correctly they each got paid like $20 million for starring in that movie, my thoughts are the producer thought the celebrity couple would have sold tickets at the time, which only pulled in like $6 million domestically, and $1 million abroad, the film was a failure costing like $76 million to make and only made like $7 million total.

So, $40 million just for the two actors, and it only pulled in $7 million; I'd call them overpaid. And they're not even mentioned in this list. Wikipedia notes that at the time the film was such a failure it broke records for second week drop off at the box office.

In the end though the fllm was mildly enjoyable, but a financial disaster nonetheless.

Did anyone actually read the article? The list was based on the past 3 years in a ratio of how much they were paid vs what the movies made. Gigli came out a decade ago.