For those who go to University/College

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Final_Rise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Final_Rise
Member since 2007 • 112 Posts
I am in grade 11 living in Canada and im wondering is a laptop a must to bring into classes?
Im gonna be getting my own dorm and don't know if I should get a desktop that I could play games on or a laptop?

Thats to those who reply
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I would go with a laptop.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Well, I usually don't bring it to class, but I think its becoming more and more practical to have one.  Also, if you don't mind jaggier graphics, laptops can play games too.
sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sca321
Member since 2003 • 1903 Posts

I have a laptop but I don't bring it to class. Some people bring them to class but most of the time they're on facebook or reading mail or some other distraction. It's definitely not a must to bring to class.

In retrospect I kind of wish I had gotten a desktop rather than a laptop because I don't move it around that much. (Though I do put it on my chest sometimes so I can watch DVDs lying down rather than sitting at a desk.)

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
I got a desktop and sort of regret it.  Not because I need a laptop for class or anything because I don't.  I spent alot of money and got a nice gaming computer...but its HUGE...and I have to move it around ALOT...and since I've come to school I've noticed a part that seems to be jingling around in there.  Almost like a loose fan.  It isn't a huge deal, but I know it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't tried to cart it up and down elevators and floors, laid it on beds, all sorts of crap that you will be doing in college.
videogamer456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 videogamer456
Member since 2005 • 13282 Posts
I was required to have a laptop when I was in middle school, but I am not sure if a college would require it. I wasn't required to have one for college, but it was nice to have one.
Avatar image for BEAN_LARD_MULCH
BEAN_LARD_MULCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BEAN_LARD_MULCH
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts

I was required to have a laptop when I was in middle school, but I am not sure if a college would require it. I wasn't required to have one for college, but it was nice to have one.videogamer456

A requirement!? What school is this!? 

Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts
A laptop is a good idea for graduate school, under-grad you don't need a laptop at all. A desktop will suit you fine. Also, if you think you'll have the money or the time to play games, at least if you take school seriously, you'll find out differantly real fast.
Avatar image for hammer_of_thor_
hammer_of_thor_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 hammer_of_thor_
Member since 2007 • 2260 Posts
If you have the cash, might as well get a laptop that can play the games you want, then you can use it in your dorm as well as take notes on. I got to a University and I don't have a laptop, mainly due to the price and having other things to buy before that. I'd say only about 10-20% of the people have them in classes though.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i dont bring my laptop to classes. but my sister(who goes to an engineering school) has to take it to a few of her classes. i  guess it depends on your classes.
Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Aznsilvrboy
Member since 2002 • 11495 Posts
NOt sure if it's a must but when I go off to university (hopefully in September), I'm getting a laptop..and everyone I know is getting one too.
theburg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 theburg
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

I have one for my programming classes [so I dont have to hassle with USB drives and slow lab computers] but I dont bring them to any other class. It always helps retention to actually write something on paper rather than type it into a computer so I dont recommend people bring them to classes where they arent needed. Plus, like someone mentioned, most of the people who bring laptops to class end up playing games or doing other crap. Not recommended at all.

FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
It's dependant on the school.  If the school has campuswide WI-FI then, a laptop would be a wise idea.  For class, I never saw one person bring one to class.  Laptops are also easier to steal if you are not careful, and more expensive to have repaired.
Ninjaguy429

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ninjaguy429
Member since 2003 • 450 Posts
I don't know, it is a good thing to have at a University like mine, most of my professor's post their powerpoints online, or some supplementary information.  It's also easier to take notes on a laptop too...
videogamer456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 videogamer456
Member since 2005 • 13282 Posts

[QUOTE="videogamer456"]I was required to have a laptop when I was in middle school, but I am not sure if a college would require it. I wasn't required to have one for college, but it was nice to have one.BEAN_LARD_MULCH

A requirement!? What school is this!?

I went to a prep school.
chip_money

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 chip_money
Member since 2006 • 2748 Posts
well...as long as I can convince my parents it will help me... I'm good
mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts

lol no one brings a laptop to classes..barely anyone even goes to classes

Anyway get a desktop! Cheaper, better for games, and NOONE WILL STEAL IT!!

With laptops theives can so easily nick em 

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
I am in grade 11 living in Canada and im wondering is a laptop a must to bring into classes?
Im gonna be getting my own dorm and don't know if I should get a desktop that I could play games on or a laptop?

Thats to those who replyFinal_Rise

I'm thinking the same I live in canada 2 I dont think a laptop is nessary in class since there just going to mostly take notes but having is good for typing out work
The_Lion_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The_Lion_King
Member since 2002 • 1262 Posts
LOL, I glanced at your user name and thought it said "Final_Rinse" like on a washing machine or somethingt
Djammal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Djammal86
Member since 2006 • 6088 Posts
In my major, Computer Animation, its better to have a desktop. If don't plan on upgrading anything, than get laptop, if not get a desktop
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

The college im going to requires one.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

Well, i'm also in 11th grade, and i actually had to do a project on buying a computer for college.  this is what i got:

-Get a light laptop, as you will have to carry it around.

-But make sure it has ton of storage and RAM, as you'll be using this laptop for EVERYTHING.

-Buy a good laptop carrying case.  You definitely don't want it to break.

-SECURE YOUR LAPTOP!  1 laptop every 7 seconds is stolen in college!  Buy a either a software security device, so that when you install it, and if it gets stolen, you can just call the company and they will track it down.  Or buy an external security device that's like a  bike lock where you stick it into the laptop and wont open or turn on without it being removed.

g-unit248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 g-unit248
Member since 2005 • 7197 Posts
get a laptop, you wont use it in class but being able to have a computer and wireless is nice in the student union, library ect, plus its a lot less bulky when moving