Florida Drug-Testing Law Declared Unconstitutional

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

http://jacksonville.com/breaking-news/2013-12-31/story/judge-nixes-floridas-welfare-drug-testing

Thank God the judge saw sense and stopped this bullshit money-wasting law.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Right. Because people should only have to be drug-tested in order to work. Not to receive welfare.

You libs are fucking dumb.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@airshocker: Please no name calling.

As far as the topic goes, I'm torn. I think drugs should be legal. I also hate seeing 3rd and 4th generation drug-addict welfare babies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@plageus900 said:

@airshocker: Please no name calling.

As far as the topic goes, I'm torn. I think drugs should be legal. I also hate seeing 3rd and 4th generation welfare babies.

Okay, mom.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 plageus900

@airshocker: I'm being serious. We're all adults here. Just because his viewpoints differ from yours, doesn't mean he's a 'fucking dumb lib'.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

People shouldn't be drug tested at all. It's all fucking bullshit. Why should anyone care?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@plageus900 said:

@airshocker: I'm being serious. We're all adults here. Just because his viewpoints differ from yours, doesn't mean he's a 'fucking dumb lib'.

I don't care if you're serious. When someone says something that I believe is stupid, I'm going to call them out. It's absolutely stupid to drug-test the people that work but not the people that don't. Either all or nothing. That's the only fair way. And you're an idiot if you disagree.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 plageus900

@4myAmuzumament said:

People shouldn't be drug tested at all. It's all fucking bullshit. Why should anyone care?

If a private business wants to drug-test their employees, I'm fine with that, its their business. But your right, no one, especially the government, should care what a person does in their personal life.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By plageus900

@airshocker said:

@plageus900 said:

I don't care if you're serious. When someone says something that I believe is stupid, I'm going to call them out. It's absolutely stupid to drug-test the people that work but not the people that don't. Either all or nothing. That's the only fair way. And you're an idiot if you disagree.

I think drug testing should go out the window completely.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Makhaidos

@airshocker said:

Right. Because people should only have to be drug-tested in order to work. Not to receive welfare.

"I want small government, but I also want them to perform a warrant-less search of my body under the assumption that poor people are drug users." -- The conservative argument.

Not to mention all the money this stupid-ass law your teahadist hero Scott made wasted. Only 2% of the people tested tested positive. We made a couple hundred bucks and spent tens of millions. Where's that fiscal responsibility I hear you conservatives have?

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Makhaidos

@plageus900 said:

@airshocker said:

@plageus900 said:

Lord, no. I don't want people driving trucks and flying planes to be doing it while high.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

"I want small government, but I also want them to perform a warrant-less search of my body under the assumption that poor people are drug users." -- The conservative argument.

Not to mention all the money this stupid-ass law your teahadist hero Scott made wasted. Only 2% of the people tested tested positive. We made a couple hundred bucks and spent tens of millions. Where's that fiscal responsibility I hear you conservatives have?

That's really the killer for me. We could argue back and forth whether it's a violation of rights, a violation of privacy, or an example of government overreach all day, and everyone involved could probably raise a valid argument or two. Frankly, I'm not opposed to it from a theoretical perspective.

But the fact that it's ineffective to the point that it actually COSTS money to implement makes it a no-brainer to cease, IMO.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

The so-called conservatives are setting themselves up for future control over their bodies and personal lives. In one sentence, like this one, they will claim to want drug testing because someone is receiving government (taxpayer) money, then in the next they will cry about government banning certain foods because we "all take part in the healthcare system." It is this kind of shortsightedness that both liberals and so-called conservatives have a knack for. A big government is the last thing people should be advocating, regardless of whether it is for social programs, war, or laws regulating morality and business. It'll come back to bite you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@plageus900 said:

@airshocker said:

@plageus900 said:

I agree. To an extent. Certain professions should require drug testing no matter what.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 plageus900

@Makhaidos said:

@plageus900 said:

@airshocker said:

@plageus900 said:

Lord, no. I don't want people driving trucks and flying planes to be doing it while high.

Oh come on! That's the only way to fly!

Though depending on how often they're drug tested, they could be doing it anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

I want fairness. You either drug test everyone, or you drug test no one. That's the only way. In no reality is it fair that the people who WORK should be the only ones that are required to be tested for drugs.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Opponents of the law had argued it was an unconstitutional search and seizure. The judge agreed, writing that there was no pervasive drug problem among applicants for the welfare program known as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.

The judge said she could find "no set of circumstances under which the warrantless, suspicionless drug testing at issue in this case could be constitutionally applied."

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/breaking-news/2013-12-31/story/judge-nixes-floridas-welfare-drug-testing#ixzz2p7EKtOMn

Having moved from Florida not long ago because it was horrible, it is nice to know that some good is going on there. The quoted information in this post should suffice for those looking to prevent further unnecessary expenditures.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Makhaidos

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

I want fairness. You either drug test everyone, or you drug test no one. That's the only way. In no reality is it fair that the people who WORK should be the only ones that are required to be tested for drugs.

Guess what, you short-sighted moron? The government doesn't test you to work (except when you work in the military/FBI). When a business drug tests you for a job, THEY'RE THE ONES IN CHARGE OF THAT. It's a policy of the COMPANY you want to work for, just like non-smoking policies and uniform policies.

Don't like that you can't use drugs at work? Quit and find another job that won't test you.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By plageus900

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

Though there is a separation between private sector and the public sector. If a private business decides to either drug test their employees or not, that's their prerogative, not the governments.

Makhaidos is right, if you want small government, you have to want it all the way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

Guess what, you short-sighted moron? The government doesn't test you to work (except when you work in the military/FBI). When a business drug tests you for a job, THEY'RE THE ONES IN CHARGE OF THAT. It's a policy of the COMPANY you want to work for, just like non-smoking policies and uniform policies.

Don't like that you can't use drugs at work? Quit and find another job that won't test you.

Work-place drug testing was SPEARHEADED by the federal government. Are you out of your fucking mind? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. You thought Republicans voted for Obamacare, after all.

I don't do drugs. What I care about is everyone being treated fairly. Something you liberals seem to be against.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Makhaidos

@airshocker said:

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

Work-place drug testing was SPEARHEADED by the federal government.

Okay, point to me the federal law requiring workplace drug testing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@plageus900 said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

Though there is a separation between private sector and the public sector. If a private business decides to either drug test their employees or not, that's their prerogative, not the governments.

Makhaidos is right, if you want small government, you have to want it all the way.

I don't have a problem with private businesses doing this. I actually care about freedom. But so long as drug-testing for workers stands, it has to stand for those seeking unemployment benefits. It's only fair.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 plageus900

@airshocker: My first 4 jobs never drug tested me.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

money wasting? how many people sell their food stamps in this nation? way too many. I bet good half of them end up buying shit they dont need

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

SOURCE

Find it yourself. You need the experience fact-checking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@plageus900 said:

@airshocker: My first 4 jobs never drug tested me.

Good for you? All of my jobs except GameStop drug-tested me.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 plageus900

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

SOURCE

Sir, there is NO federal law mandating that private companies require their workers to be drug tested.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Makhaidos

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

SOURCE

REAL SOURCE

Notice how I actually went to the federal government to see what the federal government says, not some hyper conservative conspiracy blog? That's called "primary sources," something we learn about in college. You wouldn't know about that because college education is against the Republican platform.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@plageus900 said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

SOURCE

Sir, there is NO federal law mandating that private companies require their workers to be drug tested.

There is a law requiring drug-testing for federal jobs, however. And that doesn't change what I said.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Makhaidos
@airshocker said:

@plageus900 said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

SOURCE

There is a law requiring drug-testing for federal jobs, however. And that doesn't change what I said.

Then don't fucking work for the federal government.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 plageus900

@airshocker: That's federal. Not the private sector. Also it depends on the job. My mother, who works for the Department of Interior, was not drug tested.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Makhaidos

@plageus900 said:

@airshocker: That's federal. Not the private sector. Also it depends on the job. My mother, who works for the Department of Interior, was not drug tested.

Congressmen don't get drug tested (to my knowledge).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

SOURCE

REAL SOURCE

Notice how I actually went to the federal government to see what the federal government says, not some hyper conservative conspiracy blog? That's called "primary sources," something we learn about in college. You wouldn't know about that because college education is against the Republican platform.

Yes, I totally picked this because it's a conservative website. :rolls eyes: Or maybe I picked it because it came on the first page of my google search...

Oh man! I didn't get a bachelors degree! Not sure what that has to do with anything or my political beliefs. It's sad that someone without a four year college education is completely smacking you around in 90% of the topics you post in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Drug testing for welfare sounds rather bizarre. Might as well get a drug test when you get your SIN card or passport. Dumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Makhaidos said:
@airshocker said:

@plageus900 said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

SOURCE

Then don't fucking work for the federal government.

Wow, someone has COMPLETELY missed the point. You sure you have a college degree?

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Makhaidos

@airshocker said:

Yes, because I totally picked this because it's a conservative website. :rolls eyes: Or maybe I picked it because it came on the first page of my google search...

Oh man! I didn't get a bachelors degree! Not sure what that has to do with anything or my political beliefs. It's sad that someone without a four year college education is completely smacking you around in 90% of the topics you post in.

So you're stupid AND lazy.

The only one who thinks he's "smacking me around" is you. I see you completely ignored my source from the Department of Labor, which explicitly says that the federal government does not require drug testing except under certain circumstances (such as federal jobs and in jobs where federal funding is received via grants).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@plageus900 said:

That's what I said...

Yes, I'm sure some federal positions don't warrant drug tests. I wouldn't see the need for the post office to drug test someone who is just helping with the census, as an example.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

Yes, because I totally picked this because it's a conservative website. :rolls eyes: Or maybe I picked it because it came on the first page of my google search...

The only one who thinks he's "smacking me around" is you. I see you completely ignored my source from the Department of Labor, which explicitly says that the federal government does not require drug testing except under certain circumstances (such as federal jobs and in jobs where federal funding is received via grants).

Not the only one, if my Steam PMs are any indication...

Not typing a response isn't the same thing as ignoring. I've already said the same exact things.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 plageus900

@airshocker said:
@plageus900 said:

That's what I said...

Yes, I'm sure some federal positions don't warrant drug tests. I wouldn't see the need for the post office to drug test someone who is just helping with the census, as an example.

So based on what you just said, why would drug testing for welfare make any sense?

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Makhaidos

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

Not typing a response isn't the same thing as ignoring. I've already said the same exact things.

Aww, you chat about me on Steam? I'm flattered.

Then I don't get what your problem is, because you're under the delusion that the government requires you to be drug-tested in order to work while admitting at the same time that it doesn't.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Am wondering, would drug testing even save money? Seems like it would be very expensive to drug test welfare applicants.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

Then I don't get what your problem is, because you're under the delusion that the government requires you to be drug-tested in order to work while admitting at the same time that it doesn't.

Yeah, plenty of people think you're stupid.

My problem is that you seem to think it's fair that people who do work get drug-tested yet people who get benefits aren't. How is that fair in your world?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@plageus900 said:

@airshocker said:
@plageus900 said:

That's what I said...

So based on what you just said, why would drug testing for welfare make any sense?

Because it's fair?

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Makhaidos

@chessmaster1989 said:

Am wondering, would drug testing even save money? Seems like it would be very expensive to drug test welfare applicants.

Not if Florida's an example. Millions of dollars were utterly wasted finding only that 2% of welfare applicants tested positive. It is literally pissing money into a cup.

What's more, is that Rick Scott owns part of the company that does the mandatory drug testing! Le gasp!

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 plageus900

@airshocker said:

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

My problem is that you seem to think it's fair that people who do work get drug-tested yet people who get benefits aren't. How is that fair in your world?

But even you just said not all workers get drug tested, even federal workers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@chessmaster1989 said:

Could take it off the top of the benefits.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Makhaidos

@airshocker said:

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

Truly, I'm devastated to know that strangers on the Internet think I'm dumb. Let them come PM me, for a change, instead of going on Steam for a circle-jerk.

Yoohoo, remember that thing we were talking about, where the public and private sector are different things? You're saying the federal government should mandate all welfare applicants be drug tested because workers are tested, but here in the real world, the government doesn't mandate testing work applicants--businesses do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@plageus900 said:

@airshocker said:

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

But even you just said not all workers get drug tested, even federal workers.

So? What? Therefore?

Just because I don't have an issue with some federal workers not being drug tested doesn't mean I'm okay with welfare recipients being untested.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@airshocker: The idea behind welfare assumes that you're still working or actively seeking employment while obtaining. I can't find the exact figures but the vast majority of people who use welfare use it simply to supplement their income and not as a main source. Drug testing these people doesn't accomplish anything besides wasteful uses of money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:
@Makhaidos said:

@airshocker said:

Truly, I'm devastated to know that strangers on the Internet think I'm dumb. Let them come PM me, for a change, instead of going on Steam for a circle-jerk.

Yoohoo, remember that thing we were talking about, where the public and private sector are different things? You're saying the federal government should mandate all welfare applicants be drug tested because workers are tested, but here in the real world, the government doesn't mandate testing work applicants--businesses do.

Answer my question?