#1 Posted by thegerg (15033 posts) -

Fishbombing lake

I've never seen this before and just wanted to share. Has anyone had the chance to see this done in real life? Cool idea.

#2 Edited by Master_Live (14405 posts) -

Ha, that's so funny. Fish must be like wtf?

#3 Edited by Star0 (443 posts) -

#4 Posted by indzman (17560 posts) -

crazy

#5 Posted by Korvus (3530 posts) -

Fishes die on impact, researchers check on the lake 2 months later, reach the conclusion that the death was caused by environmental factors =P

#6 Posted by thegerg (15033 posts) -

@korvus: Maybe you should get in touch with the wildlife biologists running this program to manage fish populations in these lakes. I'm sure they could use your expert advice. They probably have no clue about how to keep fish alive.

#7 Posted by Korvus (3530 posts) -

@thegerg: Are you serious or was your attempt at humour as poor as mine?

#8 Posted by Star0 (443 posts) -

@korvus: No silly, fish evolve into birds. The humans here are just giving them a helping hand. =P

#9 Posted by Korvus (3530 posts) -

@Star0: But it's hard to keep track of all the new pokemons. It's not my fault =(

#10 Posted by Star0 (443 posts) -

@korvus: Don't worry, the government is working on a national Pokedex. It's not free though...just like public healthcare.

#11 Edited by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -

Imagine if those fish didn't land in a lake.

#12 Posted by playmynutz (5982 posts) -

Woah

#13 Posted by Mercuria1_King (276 posts) -

I wonder how many of those fish die from the shock of being dropped from an airplane.

#14 Edited by jasean79 (2371 posts) -

I hope they add a few gallons of "Aquatic Stress Relief" to each batch of fish they drop.

#15 Edited by InEMplease (6333 posts) -

War is Hell

- Fish

#16 Edited by thegerg (15033 posts) -

I wonder how many of those fish die from the shock of being dropped from an airplane.

I'd guess not too many.

#17 Posted by airshocker (29360 posts) -

That's kind of cool.

#18 Posted by lamprey263 (23501 posts) -

Hmm, I'm aware they populate bodies of water with fish to replenish it. Didn't know they did it like this, guess it saves time but can fish survive the transport and the trauma of the fall? I wonder.

Anyhow, I came here expecting this to be about fishing with dynamite.

#19 Posted by thegerg (15033 posts) -

Hmm, I'm aware they populate bodies of water with fish to replenish it. Didn't know they did it like this, guess it saves time but can fish survive the transport and the trauma of the fall? I wonder.

"can fish survive the transport and the trauma of the fall?"

Yes, they can survive it. Do you think they would use this method if the fish couldn't survive?

#20 Edited by lamprey263 (23501 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@lamprey263 said:

Yes, they can survive it. Do you think they would use this method if the fish couldn't survive?

I don't know, I think someone could win a contracting bid to replenish the supplies without any regard to the success of their efforts.

#21 Posted by thegerg (15033 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@lamprey263 said:

I don't know, I think someone could win a contracting bid to replenish the supplies without any regard to the success of their efforts.

I'm betting that the biologists responsible for maintaining these fish populations know a thing or two about keeping fish alive.

#22 Edited by lamprey263 (23501 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@lamprey263 said:

@thegerg said:

@lamprey263 said:

I'm betting that the biologists responsible for maintaining these fish populations know a thing or two about keeping fish alive.

I'm sure they are to an extent, if say they want to add 200 fish and they know from studies that 50% survive the drop then sure I'll trust their judgment in achieving their goal if they dropped 400 fish. Anyhow, I'm not going to argue with you. I just said I simply wonder whether there's survival issues with this method. Not an animal nut or anything. But it's not like you're an expert in this matter at all, you JUST saw this.

#23 Posted by Behardy24 (3777 posts) -

#24 Posted by thegerg (15033 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@lamprey263 said:

@thegerg said:

@lamprey263 said:

I'm sure they are to an extent, if say they want to add 200 fish and they know from studies that 50% survive the drop then sure I'll trust their judgment in achieving their goal if they dropped 400 fish. Anyhow, I'm not going to argue with you. I just said I simply wonder whether there's survival issues with this method. Not an animal nut or anything. But it's not like you're an expert in this matter at all, you JUST saw this.

"I'm sure they are to an extent"

In the same way that a plumber is an expert on plumbing to an extent.

Anyway, this is a tried-and-true method of maintaining fish populations. It's silly to think that biologists would continue to use a method that doesn't work.