First woman in Britain to die from cannabis overdose

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trender_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Trender_man
Member since 2013 • 143 Posts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10608708/First-woman-in-Britain-to-die-from-cannabis-poisoning.html

A mother is believed to have become the first woman in Britain to die directly from cannabis poisoning after a coroner attributed her death to the drug.

Gemma Moss, 31, who was a regular churchgoer, was found dead in bed after smoking cannabis to help her get to sleep, an inquest was told.

Tests found she had moderate to high levels of the drug in her system after her death last October. Her vital organs appeared normal.

Miss Moss’s death was registered as cannabis toxicity and the coroner gave a conclusion of death by cannabis abuse.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

congrats lady you are the first person ever in the history of history to die from a pot od.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

She most likely died of cardiac arrest caused by her BF breaking her heart. I bet if she had a cheesburger that day - that would have killed her.......smh

She was smoking everyday probably did not live a healthy lifestyle. Cannabis has very very VERY low levels of toxicity.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

There must be some logical explanation for this as cannabis is a very benign drug. Also, this ultimately means nothing because any substance in excessive quantities can reach toxic, fatal levels when ingested, even water.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Doesn't that suck.

dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

Anti-Druggies are going to have a self-righteous field day with this.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

There must be some logical explanation for this as cannabis is a very benign drug. Also, this ultimately means nothing because any substance in excessive quantities can reach toxic, fatal levels when ingested, even water.

Yeah, I once heard a story of a woman in a water drinking contest who died from water poisoning. Didn't even know that was possible.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Unfortunate, but stories like this aren't gonna give me a second thought.

Shouldn't for anyone really.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I never did like that bullshit propaganda the left wing likes to claim "no one ever dies from marijuana" when in fact this is possible, and so are allergic reactions.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

congrats lady you are the first person ever in the history of history to die from a pot od.

She is not according to previous reports.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

My guess is they have it wrong.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

The way I read it, it seems the coroner basically said "I couldn't find anything wrong, but she smoked weed, so weed."

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Yeah, I once heard a story of a woman in a water drinking contest who died from water poisoning. Didn't even know that was possible.

Was it a radio contest?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Eh, find it hard to believe she "overdosed". It is virtually impossible to die of an "overdose" from cannabis (even the National Institute of Drug Abuse says so). If she already had a heart condition and the act of smoking caused her to go into cardiac arrest, which seems more likely, than that is hardly dying from an overdose. She would have been just as likely to die from cardiac arrest after a run or walking up a flight of stairs on a bad day. I can also find very few other articles about this, and those I did find interviewed many doctors and professors who found it to be unlikely, so this seems like a non-issue.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

@lostrib said:

@The-Apostle said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Was it a radio contest?

That's the one! lol

The radio station even lost a lawsuit over it. Link

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

Eh, find it hard to believe she "overdosed". It is virtually impossible to die of an "overdose" from cannabis (even the National Institute of Drug Abuse says so). If she already had a heart condition and the act of smoking caused her to go into cardiac arrest, which seems more likely, than that is hardly dying from an overdose. She would have been just as likely to die from cardiac arrest after a run or walking up a flight of stairs on a bad day. I can also find very few other articles about this, and those I did find interviewed many doctors and professors who found it to be unlikely, so this seems like a non-issue.

Yeah if you're going to debate technicalities the smoke/smog killer her, but not the actually marijuana.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

@Fightingfan said:

I never did like that bullshit propaganda the left wing likes to claim "no one ever dies from marijuana" when in fact this is possible, and so are allergic reactions.

Possible but highly unlikely, and considering this is the first person to die from Marijuana, and I would argue it was not the Marijuana itself but the smoke in general, the point still stands. You are far more likely to die from other drugs, especially Alcohol and Tobacco products than Marijuana.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

well then, that sucks.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

in Bakersfield police beat a man to death and the coroner said the person died of natural causes... I've trouble believing coroners, from the article they couldn't find a cause of death so it seems they just assume that she died from marijuana and nobody would question that due to the drugs nefarious nature

also, she's not going to overdose from smoking, now if they found she took like 50 hemp oil capsules I might buy that but smoking she's more likely to die from excessive smoke inhalation that the intoxicating compound itself

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

And thousands of people die from alcohol-related diseases each year...

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

The way I read it, it seems the coroner basically said "I couldn't find anything wrong, but she smoked weed, so weed."

This. I repeat, this.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@GamingGod999 said:

LOL....always one.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

she probably deserved it

fucking junkie

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@GamingGod999 said:

LOL....always one.

Sorry - couldn't help myself. :3

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

@DarkGamer007 said:

@Fightingfan said:

Possible but highly unlikely, and considering this is the first person to die from Marijuana, and I would argue it was not the Marijuana itself but the smoke in general, the point still stands. You are far more likely to die from other drugs, especially Alcohol and Tobacco products than Marijuana.

Or swimming (drowning). Or driving a car.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It's literally impossible. I've heard one would have to smoke over 1500 lbs in an hour to overdose on THC. Unless it wasn't due to the active ingredient and she died of asphyxiation or some other indirect reason.

She's certainly the first person in the history of the world to die of a marijuana overdose if the coroner's assessment sticks.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

@coolbeans90 said:

she probably deserved it

fucking junkie

How do you figure?

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I don't believe it.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

you can die of doing too much of anything. There was a woman who died from drinking too much water.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

she injected three whole marijuanas

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Total bait article.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

Nailed it.

No reason to get excited people. It's still impossible to actually overdose on marijuana, and it's still never happened.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

@Audacitron said:

@coolbeans90 said:

she probably deserved it

fucking junkie

How do you figure?

obv b/c she OD'ed

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Nailed it.

No reason to get excited people. It's still impossible to actually overdose on marijuana, and it's still never happened.

Good to know we have doctors/coroner's here.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35  Edited By JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: my thoughts exactly.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@the_bi99man said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Nailed it.

Don't need to be. Doctors interviewed in other articles about this specific case say it is impossible, and questioned this coroner's results. The National Institute of Drug Abuse says this sort of thing can't happen. People saying you can't overdose on marijuana aren't just stoners trying to come up with reasons to make it legal. Actual scientific papers have been published showing it is impossible; American Scientist published an article testing the toxicity of the drug and how much would be needed to die from an overdose (a lethal or toxic amount), and it would take 1000 times the normal dose. This women smoked half a joint. If her smoking induced cardiac arrest, which seems to be the case and others think happened to her, then that is not an overdose.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Argument from authority. A person's claim isn't correct because they are an authority on the subject/field. It is correct because they have sufficient evidence to prove it correct. This coroner assumes it was the marijuana because he couldn't find any other reason. If anything, this makes him a bad coroner and a terrible scientist.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

I will have to do more research before passing judgement on this case

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points