First woman in Britain to die from cannabis overdose

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Trender_man (134 posts) -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10608708/First-woman-in-Britain-to-die-from-cannabis-poisoning.html

A mother is believed to have become the first woman in Britain to die directly from cannabis poisoning after a coroner attributed her death to the drug.

Gemma Moss, 31, who was a regular churchgoer, was found dead in bed after smoking cannabis to help her get to sleep, an inquest was told.

Tests found she had moderate to high levels of the drug in her system after her death last October. Her vital organs appeared normal.

Miss Moss’s death was registered as cannabis toxicity and the coroner gave a conclusion of death by cannabis abuse.

#2 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23347 posts) -

congrats lady you are the first person ever in the history of history to die from a pot od.

#3 Posted by bobaban (10499 posts) -

She most likely died of cardiac arrest caused by her BF breaking her heart. I bet if she had a cheesburger that day - that would have killed her.......smh

She was smoking everyday probably did not live a healthy lifestyle. Cannabis has very very VERY low levels of toxicity.

#4 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

There must be some logical explanation for this as cannabis is a very benign drug. Also, this ultimately means nothing because any substance in excessive quantities can reach toxic, fatal levels when ingested, even water.

#5 Posted by Master_Live (13475 posts) -

Doesn't that suck.

#6 Posted by dominer (3311 posts) -

Anti-Druggies are going to have a self-righteous field day with this.

#7 Edited by The-Apostle (12062 posts) -

There must be some logical explanation for this as cannabis is a very benign drug. Also, this ultimately means nothing because any substance in excessive quantities can reach toxic, fatal levels when ingested, even water.

Yeah, I once heard a story of a woman in a water drinking contest who died from water poisoning. Didn't even know that was possible.

#8 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Unfortunate, but stories like this aren't gonna give me a second thought.

Shouldn't for anyone really.

#9 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I never did like that bullshit propaganda the left wing likes to claim "no one ever dies from marijuana" when in fact this is possible, and so are allergic reactions.

#10 Posted by BranKetra (47321 posts) -

congrats lady you are the first person ever in the history of history to die from a pot od.

She is not according to previous reports.

#11 Posted by Audacitron (908 posts) -

My guess is they have it wrong.

#12 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12586 posts) -

The way I read it, it seems the coroner basically said "I couldn't find anything wrong, but she smoked weed, so weed."

#13 Posted by lostrib (30789 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

Yeah, I once heard a story of a woman in a water drinking contest who died from water poisoning. Didn't even know that was possible.

Was it a radio contest?

#14 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25585 posts) -

Eh, find it hard to believe she "overdosed". It is virtually impossible to die of an "overdose" from cannabis (even the National Institute of Drug Abuse says so). If she already had a heart condition and the act of smoking caused her to go into cardiac arrest, which seems more likely, than that is hardly dying from an overdose. She would have been just as likely to die from cardiac arrest after a run or walking up a flight of stairs on a bad day. I can also find very few other articles about this, and those I did find interviewed many doctors and professors who found it to be unlikely, so this seems like a non-issue.

#15 Edited by The-Apostle (12062 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@The-Apostle said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Was it a radio contest?

That's the one! lol

The radio station even lost a lawsuit over it. Link

#16 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Eh, find it hard to believe she "overdosed". It is virtually impossible to die of an "overdose" from cannabis (even the National Institute of Drug Abuse says so). If she already had a heart condition and the act of smoking caused her to go into cardiac arrest, which seems more likely, than that is hardly dying from an overdose. She would have been just as likely to die from cardiac arrest after a run or walking up a flight of stairs on a bad day. I can also find very few other articles about this, and those I did find interviewed many doctors and professors who found it to be unlikely, so this seems like a non-issue.

Yeah if you're going to debate technicalities the smoke/smog killer her, but not the actually marijuana.

#17 Posted by DarkGamer007 (6021 posts) -

I never did like that bullshit propaganda the left wing likes to claim "no one ever dies from marijuana" when in fact this is possible, and so are allergic reactions.

Possible but highly unlikely, and considering this is the first person to die from Marijuana, and I would argue it was not the Marijuana itself but the smoke in general, the point still stands. You are far more likely to die from other drugs, especially Alcohol and Tobacco products than Marijuana.

#18 Edited by The_Lipscomb (2187 posts) -

well then, that sucks.

#19 Edited by lamprey263 (22247 posts) -

in Bakersfield police beat a man to death and the coroner said the person died of natural causes... I've trouble believing coroners, from the article they couldn't find a cause of death so it seems they just assume that she died from marijuana and nobody would question that due to the drugs nefarious nature

also, she's not going to overdose from smoking, now if they found she took like 50 hemp oil capsules I might buy that but smoking she's more likely to die from excessive smoke inhalation that the intoxicating compound itself

#20 Posted by GamingGod999 (2890 posts) -

And thousands of people die from alcohol-related diseases each year...

#21 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7686 posts) -

The way I read it, it seems the coroner basically said "I couldn't find anything wrong, but she smoked weed, so weed."

This. I repeat, this.

#22 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149316 posts) -

LOL....always one.

#23 Edited by GamingGod999 (2890 posts) -

@GamingGod999 said:

LOL....always one.

Sorry - couldn't help myself. :3

#24 Edited by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

Possible but highly unlikely, and considering this is the first person to die from Marijuana, and I would argue it was not the Marijuana itself but the smoke in general, the point still stands. You are far more likely to die from other drugs, especially Alcohol and Tobacco products than Marijuana.

Or swimming (drowning). Or driving a car.

#25 Edited by foxhound_fox (86572 posts) -

It's literally impossible. I've heard one would have to smoke over 1500 lbs in an hour to overdose on THC. Unless it wasn't due to the active ingredient and she died of asphyxiation or some other indirect reason.

She's certainly the first person in the history of the world to die of a marijuana overdose if the coroner's assessment sticks.

#26 Posted by Audacitron (908 posts) -

she probably deserved it

fucking junkie

How do you figure?

#27 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (3675 posts) -

I don't believe it.

#28 Edited by helwa1988 (2030 posts) -

you can die of doing too much of anything. There was a woman who died from drinking too much water.

#29 Posted by wis3boi (30791 posts) -

she injected three whole marijuanas

#30 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13678 posts) -

Total bait article.

#31 Posted by the_bi99man (11022 posts) -

Nailed it.

No reason to get excited people. It's still impossible to actually overdose on marijuana, and it's still never happened.

#32 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149316 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

Nailed it.

No reason to get excited people. It's still impossible to actually overdose on marijuana, and it's still never happened.

Good to know we have doctors/coroner's here.

#33 Edited by JohnF111 (14001 posts) -
#34 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25585 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Nailed it.

Don't need to be. Doctors interviewed in other articles about this specific case say it is impossible, and questioned this coroner's results. The National Institute of Drug Abuse says this sort of thing can't happen. People saying you can't overdose on marijuana aren't just stoners trying to come up with reasons to make it legal. Actual scientific papers have been published showing it is impossible; American Scientist published an article testing the toxicity of the drug and how much would be needed to die from an overdose (a lethal or toxic amount), and it would take 1000 times the normal dose. This women smoked half a joint. If her smoking induced cardiac arrest, which seems to be the case and others think happened to her, then that is not an overdose.

#35 Posted by foxhound_fox (86572 posts) -

Argument from authority. A person's claim isn't correct because they are an authority on the subject/field. It is correct because they have sufficient evidence to prove it correct. This coroner assumes it was the marijuana because he couldn't find any other reason. If anything, this makes him a bad coroner and a terrible scientist.

#36 Posted by dave123321 (33138 posts) -

I will have to do more research before passing judgement on this case

#37 Edited by dave123321 (33138 posts) -

I'm not going to crucify a scientist before the full light is shone on this

#38 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6683 posts) -

Excess kills. The more you know.