First Trillion dollar budget in U.S. History

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Congress just passed a trillion dollar budget loaded with over 9,000 stupid little things such as $700,000 for a bike trail in Minnesota and $200,000 for a post station museum in Las Vegas. I thought the Dems said they would stop pork spending in congress but look at this no wonder the Democrap controlled congress has a 14% approval rating, hows it feel to know George Bush has a higher approval rating than them. Can't wait to see my taxes this year.

GrandpaDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GrandpaDeath
Member since 2007 • 339 Posts
isn't the us in like a trillion dollar debt? oh well. you cant make money without spending money =/
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
isn't the us in like a trillion dollar debt? oh well. you cant make money without spending money =/GrandpaDeath
More like $5 trillion.
BlueBarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BlueBarad
Member since 2003 • 2218 Posts
Scared much? That's the scary thing. Not terrorism.
Avatar image for ChicaQueenWarGa
ChicaQueenWarGa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 ChicaQueenWarGa
Member since 2006 • 3360 Posts

Scared much? That's the scary thing. Not terrorism. BlueBarad

I'm scared about my grades. :| I am also scared about getting into college.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
Its not like the Republicans and Bush are making it easy. He vetoes everything the Democrats try to pass, so don't point fingers in just one direction. Both sides are responsible for this, some more than others. Hint, War is expensive. One Nuclear powered Aircraft carrier cost $2.5 million a day to operate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts
$700,000 for a bike trail somewhere? Wtf...
BlueBarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BlueBarad

Bush says: "Congress I need money"

Congress says: "If you need money, then we need money for our 9000 earmarks"

Congress passes a 1 TRILLION Dollar Budget

Guess who is paying for that???

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts
And I'm sure a bike trail and a post office will bankrupt America. Of course, you make no mention of the amount spent on the military... or anything else you personally support.
Fire_Ants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Fire_Ants
Member since 2005 • 4256 Posts
That's a lot of pennies :|
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pianist

Hint, War is expensive. One Nuclear powered Aircraft carrier cost $2.5 million a day to operate.Darthmatt

Exactly. And people are going ballistic over a bike trail - something that will help combat obesity, which is becoming a huge problem for America. :roll:

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pianist

isn't the us in like a trillion dollar debt? oh well. you cant make money without spending money =/GrandpaDeath

What the U.S. goverment needs to realize is that you can't spend money without bringing in money. Tax cuts + costly war = big problem. If you're going to wage war, you need a different tax strategy. It's really that simple.

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
That's a lot of pennies :|Fire_Ants
Just enough to reach the moon. :P
Fire_Ants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Fire_Ants
Member since 2005 • 4256 Posts

[QUOTE="Fire_Ants"]That's a lot of pennies :|MoldOnHold

Really? I thought it would take more than that :?

Maybe we'll be the first country to build a tower that reaches the moon made entirly out of pennies :o

Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts

[QUOTE="MoldOnHold"][QUOTE="Fire_Ants"]That's a lot of pennies :|Fire_Ants

Really? I thought it would take more than that :?

Maybe we'll be the first country to build a tower that reaches the moon made entirly out of pennies :o

Why not? We can just print money out of thin air with no repercussions!

Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#17 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
money doesnt mean much in terms of debt for the government. government could pay its debt it is wants. its not really much of a problem
amob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 amob
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts

And I'm sure a bike trail and a post office will bankrupt America. Of course, you make no mention of the amount spent on the military... or anything else you personally support.pianist

no, but the countless number of similiar projects costing outrageous amonts of money for their purpose (presumed)is.

oh, and what pricetag would you put on your security?

Bill900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 Bill900
Member since 2007 • 4530 Posts

*hold back strong urge to punch someone*

notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 notconspiracy
Member since 2007 • 2225 Posts
[QUOTE="GrandpaDeath"]isn't the us in like a trillion dollar debt? oh well. you cant make money without spending money =/bluezy
More like $5 trillion.

more like $9 trillion
notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 notconspiracy

[QUOTE="pianist"]And I'm sure a bike trail and a post office will bankrupt America. Of course, you make no mention of the amount spent on the military... or anything else you personally support.amob

no, but the countless number of similiar projects costing outrageous amonts of money for their purpose (presumed)is.

we could get the job done just fine (by just fine, I mean better than every other nation on earth)with 250 billion a year for the military, but these wars in iraq and afghanistanare costing us another 250 billion a year (in 2001, before 9/11, the annual military defense budget was 250 billion a year, now its over 500 billion. I checked it before the war in iraq), and now Bush and cheney are considering another war in Iran.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pianist

[QUOTE="pianist"]And I'm sure a bike trail and a post office will bankrupt America. Of course, you make no mention of the amount spent on the military... or anything else you personally support.amob

$700 000 for a project that will actually benefit people in this country is pocket change in a budget of a trillion dollars, and I don't doubt that the combined amount of all these small projects is pocket change as well by comparison to the bigger picture. This is tax money which is spent on improving society - exactly what it should be spent on. I'd much rather the money be spent on these sorts of projects than on tax cuts for the wealthy, military developments, or grants to big business.

Also, I'm sick of all this talk of 'security.' The American military is sustained for political dominance, not for security. We're well past the stage of civilized development where any country in North America would set out to invade another. Meddling in the affairs of other countries does nothing to make the US more secure. Spending billions on offensive operations doesn't, either. Spending money controlling the borders or making closer inspection of shipping and airline cargo - these are things that would actually improve a nation's security.

notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 notconspiracy
[QUOTE="amob"]

[QUOTE="pianist"]And I'm sure a bike trail and a post office will bankrupt America. Of course, you make no mention of the amount spent on the military... or anything else you personally support.pianist

$700 000 for a project that will actually benefit people in this country is pocket change in a budget of a trillion dollars, and I don't doubt that the combined amount of all these small projects is pocket change as well by comparison to the bigger picture. This is tax money which is spent on improving society - exactly what it should be spent on. I'd much rather the money be spent on these sorts of projects than on tax cuts for the wealthy, military developments, or grants to big business.

Also, I'm sick of all this talk of 'security.' The American military is sustained for political dominance, not for security. We're well past the stage of civilized development where any country in North America would set out to invade another. Meddling in the affairs of other countries does nothing to make the US more secure. Spending billions on offensive operations doesn't, either. Spending money controlling the borders or making closer inspection of shipping and airline cargo - these are things that would actually improve a nation's security.

too bad the things we're spending it on are exactly the thingsthat you said shoulden't be spent on
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pianist

too bad the things we're spending it on are exactly the thingsthat you said shoulden't be spent onnotconspiracy

Exactly. And that's why it's ironic that a staunch conservative and military supporter is trying to use a bike trail as a means of attacking the Democrats. The bike trail costs $700 000 and will be useful to people who live in this country. The war in Iraq has already cost billions, and will cost billions more, and has brought no benefit to the people who live in this country - unless you grasp for benefits like "decreasing terrorism."

notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 notconspiracy
[QUOTE="notconspiracy"]

too bad the things we're spending it on are exactly the thingsthat you said shoulden't be spent onpianist

Exactly. And that's why it's ironic that a staunch conservative is trying to use a bike trail as a means of attacking the Democrats. The bike trail costs $700 000 and will be useful to people who live in this country. The war in Iraq has already cost billions, and will cost billions more, and has brought no benefit to the people who live in this country - unless you grasp for benefits like "decreasing terrorism."

at least the strategies of Petraeus are working (sp)
BlueBarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BlueBarad

at least the strategies of Petraeus are working (sp)notconspiracy

Think about this, do you think there are more terrorist now or before we invaded Iraq?
notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 notconspiracy

[QUOTE="notconspiracy"]at least the strategies of Petraeus are working (sp)BlueBarad

Think about this, do you think there are more terrorist now or before we invaded Iraq?

now
BlueBarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BlueBarad
[QUOTE="BlueBarad"]

[QUOTE="notconspiracy"]at least the strategies of Petraeus are working (sp)notconspiracy

now

Exactly, so now we basically have perpetuated easily 20 more years of hate towards us.

Yet, we feel good for a burned up boy that we helped restore his face

WRONG

We actually helped him get burned in the first place.

Yet the pain and suffering that young boy has gone though is probably greater than anything any of us will ever experience.

amob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 amob
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts

pianist

while you have stated an opinion that you hold and should know that is very debatable and is not even close to being the single overriding authority on the matter, you are simply wrong on one matter.

Theprimary role for government is to protect the people that it rules. Not to imporve society. That is secondary.

Also, if you actually believe that a nation is completely secure in any part of the world then you are horribly wrong. Do you really think we are that far removed from WWII? I can name many nations that would love to expand given the opportunity.

While yes there are many methods to improve security/gain it, the one guaranteed way to securityis through force. Because of this, money is not an option when dealing with the military and that these other programs that you seem to classify as all important are expendable.

As I said in another post, get out of the ideal.

-Jashan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Jashan-
Member since 2007 • 401 Posts

Its not like the Republicans and Bush are making it easy. He vetoes everything the Democrats try to pass, so don't point fingers in just one direction. Both sides are responsible for this, some more than others. Hint, War is expensive. One Nuclear powered Aircraft carrier cost $2.5 million a day to operate.Darthmatt

well the can still pass the bills with the 2/3 vote... and technically we are not at war... was never declared

KillaHalo2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KillaHalo2o9
Member since 2006 • 5305 Posts

To ourselves. :?

BlueBarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BlueBarad

If you don't think this war is for profit at the expenses of our soldiers you are utterly naive.

A "private security" guard makes U$600.00 a day, while a soldier (one of us) makes barely 40K a year.

BlueBarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BlueBarad

*hold back strong urge to punch someone*

Bill900

Vote!

Avatar image for LibertyorDeath1
LibertyorDeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 LibertyorDeath1
Member since 2007 • 103 Posts

[QUOTE="bluezy"][QUOTE="GrandpaDeath"]isn't the us in like a trillion dollar debt? oh well. you cant make money without spending money =/notconspiracy
More like $5 trillion.

more like $9 trillion

The real deficit is actually in the neighborhood of $46 trillion. The government's audited financial statement does not factor in the cost of Social Security and Medicare, which is why the deficit is shown to be only around 9 trillion. If the government would follow common accounting procedures and report financial burdens as they are incurred and not as they come due, around $40 trillion in loses because of Social Security and Medicare would be shown.

But the original poster is correct, this is ridiculous, the national debt is only going to increase unless we cut the budget and reduce spending. Sadly, that is something Democrats and Republicans won't do. America desperately needs Ron Paul.

bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
First, I'd realy like to see some solid proof of that, and second, I'm sure that our $9 trillion debt has nothing to do with a pointless, needless war that continues to be drawn out as well as a plethora idiotic tax cuts for the rich. Typical far right mentality. Blame someone else for your own problems.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
The bike trail and museum add up to a mere $900,000. That still leaves $999,999,100,000 spent on something else. The bulk of that was for war spending which the dems were trying to cut (remember the whole timetable withdrawal fuss a couple months ago?). One tomahawk cruise missle costs $1.2 billion. That's enough for 1,333 bike trails and museums per missle. If you think that's bad you don't even want to know what our fighter jets and bombers cost.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pianist

while you have stated an opinion that you hold and should know that is very debatable and is not even close to being the single overriding authority on the matter, you are simply wrong on one matter.

Theprimary role for government is to protect the people that it rules. Not to imporve society. That is secondary.

Also, if you actually believe that a nation is completely secure in any part of the world then you are horribly wrong. Do you really think we are that far removed from WWII? I can name many nations that would love to expand given the opportunity.

While yes there are many methods to improve security/gain it, the one guaranteed way to securityis through force. Because of this, money is not an option when dealing with the military and that these other programs that you seem to classify as all important are expendable.

As I said in another post, get out of the ideal.

amob

1. Waging war in Iraq is not protecting people. It is fanning the flames of terrorism. Maintaining a grossly over-inflated military is not protecting the people, either. There's a big, big difference between a military which is designed to protect a country from aggression and one which is designed to initiate aggression. Once again, the American military is maintained to be a political weapon, not a defensive force. So can it with the talk of 'defending the country.' That could be accomplished with a much smaller military.

2. America is on a giant island. It has enemies - enemies that it made for itself by meddling in the affairs of other nations to promote its own interests. But not one of these enemies has a navy capable of launching an invasion of the US. They're not even close. It really doesn't matter if a country has 10 times the number of soldiers or tanks when it has no means of deploying them. And were the US to pursue a less aggressive, self-centred foreign policy, perhaps it would not be as hated as it is in other areas of the world.

3. Unless you plan to kill every terrorist on the planet - an impossible goal - force will not guarantee security. Military spending is unavoidable for any nation, but it is the extent to which the US tosses money to its armed forces which is the issue here. It's not a difficult concept to understand.

areyoumad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 areyoumad
Member since 2006 • 1064 Posts
this is not the first trillion dollar budget.there have been many trillion dollar budgets before
notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 notconspiracy

[QUOTE="notconspiracy"][QUOTE="bluezy"][QUOTE="GrandpaDeath"]isn't the us in like a trillion dollar debt? oh well. you cant make money without spending money =/LibertyorDeath1

More like $5 trillion.

more like $9 trillion

The real deficit is actually in the neighborhood of $46 trillion. The government's audited financial statement does not factor in the cost of Social Security and Medicare, which is why the deficit is shown to be only around 9 trillion. If the government would follow common accounting procedures and report financial burdens as they are incurred and not as they come due, around $40 trillion in loses because of Social Security and Medicare would be shown.

But the original poster is correct, this is ridiculous, the national debt is only going to increase unless we cut the budget and reduce spending. Sadly, that is something Democrats and Republicans won't do. America desperately needs Ron Paul.

he's just like every other politician. promises all this crazy **** during his campaign and doesn't do **** when he gets to office
Avatar image for LibertyorDeath1
LibertyorDeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 LibertyorDeath1
Member since 2007 • 103 Posts
[QUOTE="LibertyorDeath1"]

[QUOTE="notconspiracy"][QUOTE="bluezy"][QUOTE="GrandpaDeath"]isn't the us in like a trillion dollar debt? oh well. you cant make money without spending money =/notconspiracy

More like $5 trillion.

more like $9 trillion

he's just like every other politician. promises all this crazy **** during his campaign and doesn't do **** when he gets to office

His record in the House shows otherwise.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

Exactly. And people are going ballistic over a bike trail - something that will help combat obesity, which is becoming a huge problem for America. :roll:pianist

Mate you don't need a bike trail to actually cycle a bike because there are roads, pavements and natural land to cycle on. There is jogging, gyms, sports and all other manner of activities to promote exercise and weight loss. Spending $700,000 on a bike trail is like pissing against the wind, it might of been a good idea at the time but it splashes back in your face soon enough.

Truth_Seekr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Truth_Seekr
Member since 2007 • 4214 Posts

[QUOTE="GrandpaDeath"]isn't the us in like a trillion dollar debt? oh well. you cant make money without spending money =/bluezy
More like $5 trillion.

Actually, it's around $9 trillion dollars

http://brillig.com/debt_clock/

TongHua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TongHua
Member since 2007 • 2929 Posts

And I'm sure a bike trail and a post office will bankrupt America. Of course, you make no mention of the amount spent on the military... or anything else you personally support.pianist

Ballin avatar right there.

SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts

Here is the exact amount the US is in the hole.

Wow and I thought my Aunt was bad with finances.

Rath_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Rath_01
Member since 2005 • 1163 Posts
Its kinda funny they can spend $700,000 on a bike trail then tell us they want to raise taxes to improve the education system. With all the problems the U.S. needs to fix it seems Congress is alot more willing to waste money on the 11,000 earmarks they saw fit to put into the recent budget.