First Gay NFL player drafted by the Rams

#51 Edited by Jd1680a (5913 posts) -

I bet there was a hundred football players before him who were Gay, but never expressed it publicly.

#52 Edited by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

I find the amount of people saying keep it to yourself to be funny. Its not about "shoving" it down our faces, Its about being able to live their life openly while actively playing. Imagine having a career in sports and having a long career and that whole time never being able to openly be out with your SO. As I mentioned before these people are in the public eye, and this has a lot less to do with on the field or hey gay player, and more to do with being able to go out to a nice restraunt and go with his boyfriend without setting off the citys papers gossip pages, or not having to show up at public events with a women he has no interest in just so peoples tounges don't wag.

#53 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2555 posts) -
@ariabed said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: he obviously loves playing football, but to put himself out there like that is risky, and seems like he's being protected because he is gay.

"The Rams made history by welcoming the first openly gay player to the NFL, and by keeping Sam in Missouri, they ensured that he’ll be in front of a supportive fan base"

So what would happen if he went somewhere without a supportive fan base?

But he volunteered that information. Before the draft, he opened himself up to the world, knowing it would have at least some kind of impact. He yelled to the world, "this is who I am, so fucking deal with it," and waited for the reaction. He knew -- in the most masculine of sports -- that this would have an effect on his career, that his coming out would be a huge topic of discussion and speculation, and he decided to do it anyway because he wanted the world to know what he's about. It's a big fucking deal. I have quite a few male friends and colleagues who dig the dong, and even those who don't give a shit about football -- or even sports -- and this is a Big. Fucking. Deal.

Tell a gay dude we shouldn't be talking about this. See how he reacts.

#54 Edited by SolidSnake35 (58025 posts) -

@ariabed said:

@korvus: I would just be curious to see how he acts that's all, I know how I would be in a locker room full of girls, so it's gotta be kinda the same for him. I think he would have to be very careful where he is looking.

Not all gays are uncontrollable sex maniacs. Just because you can't control yourself around girls doesn't mean everyone is like that.

I'm not a maniac but they still wont let me use the ladies room. If it's acceptable for homosexuals, then we need to abandon the system in favour of communal toilets/ changing rooms etc. Otherwise I find myself being grossly discriminated against.

#55 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@ariabed said:

@korvus: I would just be curious to see how he acts that's all, I know how I would be in a locker room full of girls, so it's gotta be kinda the same for him. I think he would have to be very careful where he is looking.

Not all gays are uncontrollable sex maniacs. Just because you can't control yourself around girls doesn't mean everyone is like that.

I'm not a maniac but they still wont let me use the ladies room. If it's acceptable for homosexuals, then we need to abandon the system in favour of communal toilets/ changing rooms etc. Otherwise I find myself being grossly discriminated against.

But then I would not be able to compartmentalize the facts of life to the degree that I never have ever focused on the fact that that girls poop too. I know they do but I still would rather believe they don't.

#56 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58025 posts) -

@SolidSnake35 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ariabed said:

But then I would not be able to compartmentalize the facts of life to the degree that I never have ever focused on the fact that that girls poop too. I know they do but I still would rather believe they don't.

This is not a joke, sir. I have been denied the opportunity to go toileting with my preferred gender for too long. Why should one man have this right and not another?

#57 Edited by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

@mattykovax said:

@SolidSnake35 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ariabed said:

This is not a joke, sir. I have been denied the opportunity to go toileting with my preferred gender for too long. Why should one man have this right and not another?

I don't care where you go. I have no issue with unisex bathrooms beyond I don't want to use them.

#58 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58025 posts) -

Well I don't want to use public bathrooms at all. Doesn't change the fact that there's an inequality here.

#60 Edited by Korvus (2795 posts) -

You have that right! All you have to do is turn gay =D

#61 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58025 posts) -

@korvus said:
@SolidSnake35 said:

You have that right! All you have to do is turn gay =D

That aint no choice, bro.

#62 Posted by Korvus (2795 posts) -

@SolidSnake35: No kidding, I was just trying to come up with something as silly as assigning public restrooms to sexual preference instead of gender.

#63 Edited by Ariabed (1100 posts) -

Just saw a news video clip of Sam receiving the news on the phone, Sam started crying and hugged and kissed what must have been his boyfriend. Was not a pretty sight.

There was complaints.

#64 Edited by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

#65 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15885 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

The media needs to shut the hell up. He's a football player. Being gay has nothing to do with football or being a football player. Who's care if a player is gay, straight, or has sex with animals? It shouldn't change the fact that he is a fairly decent football player.

I agree. Just play the game. That's what players are being paid for. I don't need the gossipy crap or attitude.

#66 Posted by PannicAtack (20922 posts) -

People are acting like he was loudly announcing this or something. Is that the case? From what I read, the indication was that he was just openly gay in high school and nobody acted like it was a big deal until people started buzzing about it (including players talking about how they'd be "uncomfortable" about it).

And now people are acting like it's the player who'd been showboating or something?

#67 Posted by hippiesanta (9755 posts) -

I love gay people.... but I hate them when they try to include their gayness into a TV drama ..... just no diffenece with straight people showing off kissing on red carpet ....

#68 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

The media needs to shut the hell up. He's a football player. Being gay has nothing to do with football or being a football player. Who's care if a player is gay, straight, or has sex with animals? It shouldn't change the fact that he is a fairly decent football player.

The unfortunate reality is that people do care and a few years ago this would've been unheard of.

#69 Edited by SolidSnake35 (58025 posts) -

@korvus said:

@SolidSnake35: No kidding, I was just trying to come up with something as silly as assigning public restrooms to sexual preference instead of gender.

If heterosexual men are kept away from women, why aren't homosexual men kept away from men? What are the reasons we segregate men from women and why do they not apply to homosexuals? I'm not saying that I have a problem getting changed with homosexuals etc. But we shouldn't let political correctness prevent us from thinking about these things. They are the great questions of our generation.

#70 Edited by Korvus (2795 posts) -
#71 Edited by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

I wonder if this whole "coming out in the NFL" thing is a move to get gay people to follow sports more. Think about that - gay men usually aren't hardcore sports fans. So, in light of this news, it grabs their attention and maybe, just maybe gains their "respect" since a man felt confident enough to be open about his sexuality in what is a very macho sport.

I know it's a long shot, but I can't find any other reason why this would be such a big deal? Unless, this guy is looking to meet the president and be his guest of honor at the next "State of Union Address", like Jason Collins did. :/

#72 Posted by Ariabed (1100 posts) -

As if he hasn't caused enough controversy

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/12/us/michael-sam-nfl-kiss-reaction/

Do you think Derrick Ward has a good point or not?

#73 Posted by thegerg (14586 posts) -

@ariabed said:

What, exactly, was Ward's point? It seems like he just shared an opinion.

#75 Posted by DaBrainz (7623 posts) -

So is Rodger Goodell going to reduce fines for helmet to helmet collisions now?

#76 Posted by comp_atkins (31180 posts) -

it's remarkable how much other people seem to care where this guy likes to put his dick

#77 Posted by Ariabed (1100 posts) -

In my opinion I think Ward kinda has a POINT, I've always taken the stance that I don't mind if your gay but just don't shove it in My face, I've worked with gay guys and got on with them just fine, but for me it's not nice to see two grown men kiss. Also not a good example for young boys that might be watching. It sounds bad but should we be promoting homesexuality?

#78 Edited by robokill (1064 posts) -

The only real important thing is how good he is at football. Might be a little awkward at first but eventually it will come down to whether he can play or not, his preference for vaginas or penises shouldn't effect his ability to stop the other teams offense.

#79 Posted by thegerg (14586 posts) -

@ariabed said:

In my opinion I think Ward kinda has a POINT, I've always taken the stance that I don't mind if your gay but just don't shove it in My face, I've worked with gay guys and got on with them just fine, but for me it's not nice to see two grown men kiss. Also not a good example for young boys that might be watching. It sounds bad but should we be promoting homesexuality?

No one was shoving anything in anyone's face. The world doesn't revolve around you, it doesn't matter what you think is nice. If someone is strange enough to think that seeing man celebrating his draft into the NFL with an innocent kiss to a loved one is a bad influence to young boys, that person is free to raise their kids in an environment free of such expressions of love.

We should promote homosexuality as much as we promote heterosexuality.

#80 Posted by robokill (1064 posts) -

how is it a bad influence on boys? They aren't going to become gay via proxy

#81 Posted by TheFlush (5458 posts) -

@ariabed said:

This is so incredibly ridiculous... If he had a girlfriend and kissed her out of happiness (which is a completely normal reaction) that he was being drafted, nobody would even notice it. But because he simply happens to have a boyfriend, it's a scandal, or asking for attention? That's completely hypocritical and dumb.

#82 Posted by robokill (1064 posts) -

people care that he kissed someone? Jeese, who cares... don't people have their own lives to care about?

#83 Posted by Ariabed (1100 posts) -

@comp_atkins: are you talking about us in this thread or the media or both? because I don't understand why you find it so remarkable. He's the first openly gay man in NFL you expect that to just go unnoticed? It's a pretty big deal especially for gay people who will be watching closely to see how this pans out. In an ideal world no one would give a fuck but we live in this world unfortunately.

#84 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@SolidSnake35: The idea actually crossed my mind after spending some time with this topic. If a homosexual man is allowed to use men's bathrooms and locker rooms then sex segregation needs to be abolished altogether. Its so straightforward that I don't see how someone could argue otherwise.

#85 Edited by robokill (1064 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@SolidSnake35: The idea actually crossed my mind after spending some time with this topic. If a homosexual man is allowed to use men's bathrooms and locker rooms then sex segregation needs to be abolished altogether. Its so straightforward that I don't see how someone could argue otherwise.

wrong, entirely. Men pose a significant threat to females in terms of sexual harassment. Having full grown men and little girls in the same bathroom is just not smart. I'd be more concerned about physical harassment between a male and female than a gay dude getting aroused being around other guys.

#86 Posted by Ariabed (1100 posts) -
#87 Posted by thegerg (14586 posts) -

No one should expect any kind of real response or meaningful answer from OP. He has a solid track record of making threads, posting silly things, and changing the thread title to "Mods-Lock This Thread" when he is asked to support those silly things.

#88 Edited by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@robokill said:

@GazaAli said:

wrong, entirely. Men pose a significant threat to females in terms of sexual harassment. Having full grown men and little girls in the same bathroom is just not smart. I'd be more concerned about physical harassment between a male and female than a gay dude getting aroused being around other guys.

That's kind of a shitty argument to be honest and as a heterosexual man I can rightfully claim to be offended and discriminated against by it. Just by virtue of being a heterosexual man, I'm being stereotyped as a rabid sex maniac who cannot be trusted around other women. If you want to claim equality you can't really stereotype an entire sex group and make wild assumptions about them.

#89 Posted by Ariabed (1100 posts) -

@thegerg: look who's starting their crap again, another ruined thread Brought to you by thegerg, the fake wanna be soldier with nothing better to do in his life but start arguments on forums. Ok big boy lets have it

#90 Edited by thegerg (14586 posts) -

@ariabed said:

@thegerg: look who's starting their crap again, another ruined thread Brought to you by thegerg, the fake wanna be soldier with nothing better to do in his life but start arguments on forums. Ok big boy lets have it

Haha. There's no reason to be hostile. If you want to try to participate in an actual conversation then please do. Just don't resort to your normal tactic of name-calling and asking for the thread to be locked if people begin to disagree with you.

Anyway, how is a man kissing a loved one on TV a bad influence?

#91 Edited by Ariabed (1100 posts) -

@thegerg: I've got nothing to say to you, you come on my thread trying to turn people against me and you say I'm being hostile. You have amazing problems

#92 Edited by thegerg (14586 posts) -

@ariabed said:

@thegerg: I've got nothing to say to you, you come on my thread trying to turn people against me and you say I'm being hostile. You have amazing problems

I'm not trying to turn anyone against you. Please try to answer the question. How is a man kissing a loved one a bad influence?

#93 Edited by Ariabed (1100 posts) -

@robokill: I put this question to you.

You and your son are watching that news clip of Sam and his boyfriend, your son is say 4-6 years old, your son sees the two men kiss and hugging, your son turns round to you and says I want to kiss boys or I'm gonna kiss boys when I'm big and strong, what you gonna say? "no son it's not good to kiss boys you have to kiss girls" your son then says "why is it not good to kiss boys?" What do you say to that?

Now you can give a bullshit answer to him cos he's little but what's the real answer?

#94 Edited by thegerg (14586 posts) -

@ariabed said:

You and your son are watching that news clip of Sam and his boyfriend, your son is say 4-6 years old, your son sees the two men kiss and hugging, your son turns round to you and says I want to kiss boys or I'm gonna kiss boys when I'm big and strong, what you gonna say? "no son it's not good to kiss boys you have to kiss girls" your son then says "why is it not good to kiss boys?" What do you say to that?

Now you can give a bullshit answer to him cos he's little but what's the real answer?

If it was me I'd say something like:

"Well, son, I shouldn't have said that you should kiss girls, or that it's bad to kiss boys. That was very ignorant and silly of me. You're supposed to kiss people that you love, but only if they want you to kiss them. You're a bit young to be deciding who you want to kiss like that, anyway. Besides, why am I watching the draft with you? You're 4 years old, what do you know about football? Only someone as clueless as you would concentrate on his sexuality, and not on the concerns about his speed and size. I'm honestly kind of surprised he was selected as soon as he was. St. Louis is going to have to do some serious development with the kid. I don't see him getting much play in the next season or two, or at all unless he really finds his legs or is able to maintain what speed he has and put on some considerable muscle weight. It's not just about mass, either. He doesn't have the build to keep doing in the NFL what he did in college."

#95 Edited by comp_atkins (31180 posts) -

@ariabed said:

@comp_atkins: are you talking about us in this thread or the media or both? because I don't understand why you find it so remarkable. He's the first openly gay man in NFL you expect that to just go unnoticed? It's a pretty big deal especially for gay people who will be watching closely to see how this pans out. In an ideal world no one would give a fuck but we live in this world unfortunately.

we live in the world we make.

#96 Edited by Ariabed (1100 posts) -

@thegerg:

"Besides why am I watching the draft with you? You're 4 years old What do you know about football?"

WTF is wrong with watching the draft with your 4 yr old boy, what a ridiculous statement, so your not gna watch football with your son and teach him every aspect of the game? No you would rather teach him it's ok to kiss boys if you love them and if they want him to kiss them.

Now if I had a son that turned out gay I would love him the same, but while he is growing up will try and steer him down the natural way of life. Because being gay is not easy they face many hardships I wouldn't want my son to go through that.

You've been on this site so long you have mastered the art of annoying people from the comfort of your chair.

Now I'm done talking to you Gerg you don't like me and I don't like you, you enjoy nothing more in your life than to argue on GS forums and I don't want to give your life enjoyment, so go and find someone else to bother please.

#97 Posted by playmynutz (5964 posts) -

#Gay #player #draft #rams

don't google it; most likely porn, don't blame me

#98 Edited by robokill (1064 posts) -

@ariabed said:

how about telling him that if he waits until he grows up he can kiss whoever the hell he wants. You are out to lunch and your paragraph is in-efficacious rhetoric. A kid seeing a man kissing another man on tv will not be made gay, that's not how it works.

#99 Posted by robokill (1064 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@robokill said:

@GazaAli said:

That's kind of a shitty argument to be honest and as a heterosexual man I can rightfully claim to be offended and discriminated against by it. Just by virtue of being a heterosexual man, I'm being stereotyped as a rabid sex maniac who cannot be trusted around other women. If you want to claim equality you can't really stereotype an entire sex group and make wild assumptions about them.

then you're an oversensitive manchild, you aren't being stereotyped as anything, what a stupid argument. You keep men away from girls in bathrooms because many (I never said all you moron) men pose a threat to them, it's a bad idea and quite frankly your reaction is at a very low level of cognitive functioning. The I'm offended argument shows general lack of intelligence.

#100 Posted by Ariabed (1100 posts) -

@robokill: I know that's not how it works when did I say that's how it works? It was a hypothetical scenario just answer my question and don't put words in my mouth.

I was basically just saying kids are very impressionable, and seeing something on the telly may put an idea in their head I was just asking how OT would handle that, because it would be up to us as parents to say no that's not right you can't do that or however you want to handle the situation.