Film school - yay or nay?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Razor-Lazor
Member since 2009 • 12763 Posts

ver since I can remember, all I've wanted to do is be in films and on television. It's always been my ideal future, and honestly, the idea of a career outside of film or television terrifies me. I despise the idea of anything else because I'm not truly interested in anything else. So yes, I'd like to be an actor. But if that were to completely fail, I would not be opposed to directing, producing, writing, etc.

However, I am a junior in high school (Minnesota) at the moment, and I have never acted in any of the plays or musicals that the school has to offer. This is partly due to the fact that any kid who does is a complete social outcast and none of the people I like actually participate in them, but it's also mainly because I have no real interest in plays or musicals. At least, not at this age. So you could say that I haven't gotten much experience in acting.

I have a GPA of 3.9 with all honors/AP classes. On my practice ACT, it predicted a score of 30 (I have not taken the actual ACT yet). I am intelligent as far as academics are concerned, so my thought is that I could easily make it in a different field - such as marketing.

Like I said, I have no real interest in another job. A career in film and television is all I really want. But as I'm sure you know, going to a film school is a dangerous path since it practically shuts down any chance at a successful job. So what do you think? Should I go to a film school to pursue that type of career right off the bat? Or should I go to school for marketing and then try to take film classes on the side, if that's even possible? I really don't know what to do here.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I recently took an acting class. You need to get as involved in acting at the moment as you can. Do everything and anything that has to do with acting. Remember less then 10% of acting students actually get a gig and even fewer of those actually are successful enough to live off of an acting career. You are more likely to succeed if you have multiple performance talents. For example if you can sing and act, or dance and act, you are far more likely to get a shot at a career. You also must be very likable and good at talking with people. You will go to hundreds of acting calls just trying to get noticed. If you don't catch the attention of the director in the first couple seconds you can kiss your chances goodbye. Don't be afraid to take the really crappy acting jobs, stage acting in horrible conditions, seconds, alternates etc. You have to at least get a foot in the door in the industry. You also must have a backup plan in case things go south. Good luck, it's probably one of the most difficult industries anyone can ever pursue.
RedCore119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 RedCore119
Member since 2013 • 286 Posts

Yay you could become the next M. Night Shyamalan

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Also I reread your initial post. You can't be afraid of being cast as an outcast. Building and keeping relationships in the beginning stages of an acting career is almost impossible. Without experience and to much concern about what other people think of you, you are basically dooming yourself from the beginning.
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

Nay.

Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Razor-Lazor
So what would you recommend? Going for a major with a chance at a successful career (like marketing) and then branching out without any experience after college for acting or taking a major that could be beneficial for an actor but could still land me a successful "safety net" career?
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts
So what would you recommend? Going for a major with a chance at a successful career (like marketing) and then branching out without any experience after college for acting or taking a major that could be beneficial for an actor but could still land me a successful "safety net" career?Razor-Lazor
Go for the major with a chance at a succcesful career like marketing (or business). Take some film classes on the side and affiliate yourself with a group of people who are into film making if that is your true passion. You could always double major/minor but don't invest it all into film making. That is a sucker move. There are thousands of people on Youtube nowadays with no film education who are successful nowadays. Just affiliate yourself in a group of film makers but go with the major that will really provide some backing in your future.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

ver since I can remember, all I've wanted to do is be in films and on television. It's always been my ideal future, and honestly, the idea of a career outside of film or television terrifies me. I despise the idea of anything else because I'm not truly interested in anything else. So yes, I'd like to be an actor. But if that were to completely fail, I would not be opposed to directing, producing, writing, etc.

However, I am a junior in high school (Minnesota) at the moment, and I have never acted in any of the plays or musicals that the school has to offer. This is partly due to the fact that any kid who does is a complete social outcast and none of the people I like actually participate in them, but it's also mainly because I have no real interest in plays or musicals. At least, not at this age. So you could say that I haven't gotten much experience in acting.

I have a GPA of 3.9 with all honors/AP classes. On my practice ACT, it predicted a score of 30 (I have not taken the actual ACT yet). I am intelligent as far as academics are concerned, so my thought is that I could easily make it in a different field - such as marketing.

Like I said, I have no real interest in another job. A career in film and television is all I really want. But as I'm sure you know, going to a film school is a dangerous path since it practically shuts down any chance at a successful job. So what do you think? Should I go to a film school to pursue that type of career right off the bat? Or should I go to school for marketing and then try to take film classes on the side, if that's even possible? I really don't know what to do here.

Razor-Lazor
To answer that question, I'll present you with a question. What are you doing NOW to make you more prepared for a career in film? What kind of work are you doing? If your answer is "nothing", then don't bother with film school. You won't make it. Art programs like that are a supplement to actual work. But if you aren't doing the work on your own, then going to film school is a waste of time and money.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
You can't just have strangers decide what you're going to do with your life. You need to take responsibility and decide what to do. Research your options and make a decision based on what YOU want to do, not what others tell you to do.
Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Razor-Lazor
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"] To answer that question, I'll present you with a question. What are you doing NOW to make you more prepared for a career in film? What kind of work are you doing? If your answer is "nothing", then don't bother with film school. You won't make it. Art programs like that are a supplement to actual work. But if you aren't doing the work on your own, then going to film school is a waste of time and money.

What would you recommend? Outside of acting in productions, how would a director or producer get a head-start on a film career?
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

Only guy I know that went to film school (and graduated) had to get a degree in something else to survive.  

That being said, giving up on your dream(s) just to find a job that will get you above the poverty level is depressing. If I were you, I'd try doing acting on the side of a legitimate education. Being an actor and making a living is very tough. The odds are so, so, so, greatly against you that you will ever be a famous A lister actor, however there are some that do survive in supporting roles and guest starring and such. We've all got our dreams and hobbies but for most people they just remain hobbies. Do SOMETHING that involves acting/film, but don't expect to make a career out of it. 

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44611 Posts
your probably better off taking the money you'd spend on film school and making a film with it
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

Acting is a natural talent I find. It's why some adults take a class for multiple years and fail, while some children who've never taken a lesson in their lives are significantly better. If you believe you can do it, it's just a matter of getting noticed.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Acting is a natural talent I find. It's why some adults take a class for multiple years and fail, while some children who've never taken a lesson in their lives are significantly better. If you believe you can do it, it's just a matter of getting noticed.

sune_Gem

It really isn't. Those "childrend who've never taken a lesson in their lives" tend to have very involved parents who help them extensively.

If acting were just a "natural" thing nobody would study Stanivslasky.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

sune_Gem

You have no idea what you're talking about lol.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

Razor-Lazor
Yes, I would try it.
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

PannicAtack

It really isn't. Those "childrend who've never taken a lesson in their lives" tend to have very involved parents who help them extensively.

If acting were just a "natural" thing nobody would study Stanivslasky.

Practise will make perfect for those who aren't a natural born actor. I'm just saying there are those who are off the bat better than anyone else who is at the same stage of education in the feild.

Wolf-Man2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Wolf-Man2006
Member since 2006 • 4187 Posts

Do what you want to do!

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#21 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5173 Posts

Im a current broadcasting student at a University and the best thing to do is not limit yourself to one particular area in the field, if you want to act thats great, but learn how to write, video and sound edit, operate lights and equipment so that way you can market yourself better. You could be an actor, writer, producer, editor, radio talent or programer, etc.....just don't limit yourself

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
This is actually the dilemma I went into when I first started college. What I ended up doing was majoring in something else like journalism at first and then I moved into business as running a business was my second dream. My advice to you is to get in all the plays or movies that you can. Also, just look up who has a really good film program at regular universities. See, even if you wanted to get into marketing (which I also considered) you could still do that there. Recommendations are key. Anything in the performing arts you need recommendations and audition tapes for an actor. Unless you are going to audition in front of them of course. You may or may not have to relocate. Not sure how big drama is in Minnesota. I know a friend I used to costar with he ended up moving to NYC and got into some productions. Even though I am kinda a writer I really don't have any advice there other than keep doing it. Maybe you could send in scripts to companies. But still, even at your age you can still get into many plays and build up experience. At my HS we had a community dedicated to performing arts so I guess it was easier for me to get into acting because most of my classmates were in the same community. Take any acting classes you can. Sure, some people made it without taking a class but really for some of them their careers just fell down the ladder after a while. Look at Alison Brie for example. She majored in theater and did some theater work on the side and now she has roles in two popular shows right now. Keep up your appearance as well. It will totally help. I'm assuming guys looks are just as important as females. Don't be afraid to start at the bottom with lame acting jobs.. sometimes you might stand out no matter how lame the story was. Hell, even commercials might help. You could be as famous as the Old Spice guy or Flo the Progressive girl. But do it is what I am trying to say. Don't be like me. Even with a business degree, you will probably still have a hard time finding a job so even then I suggest all the experience you can get. Business is a really common degree people get so that's why I say that.
xmanfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xmanfan91
Member since 2012 • 481 Posts

Yay...

My dream is to get into the filming industry.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="Razor-Lazor"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"] To answer that question, I'll present you with a question. What are you doing NOW to make you more prepared for a career in film? What kind of work are you doing? If your answer is "nothing", then don't bother with film school. You won't make it. Art programs like that are a supplement to actual work. But if you aren't doing the work on your own, then going to film school is a waste of time and money.

What would you recommend? Outside of acting in productions, how would a director or producer get a head-start on a film career?

Well, for starters, I wouldn't turn down high school musical roles because you aren't interested in it. It's work, and you're gonna get feedback. I'd also be making my own videos. That's easier than ever to do these days, what with freaking cell phones being able to record video footage. Yeah, they'll suck, but MAKE MOVIES and put them up on Youtube. You don't have to be rich, Kevin Smith got famous off of Clerks, which looks like $hit and was cheap as hell to make. Create storylines and situations, cast yourself in those roles even if you're limited by technology. Just a couple of ideas. I can't think of much else off the top of my head, I'm not a film guy. But this is art, and you pretty much HAVE to do this $hit on your own in order for a degree to be worth anything. If you're not finding some way to work on your own, then you're relying on the degree to do everything for you. And that doesn't work. Not in art. Degrees can be of benefit to working artists, but a degree is NOT a substitute for actual work. And consider that these fields are highly competetive. You might expect the program to teach you how to be a good actor, but you're competing against other people who have been acting for much of their lives before they even started going to film school. Film school can definitely help, but it's almost certain that it won't be enough if you aren't also doing the work on your own.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

yay

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

I recently took an acting class. You need to get as involved in acting at the moment as you can. Do everything and anything that has to do with acting. Remember less then 10% of acting students actually get a gig and even fewer of those actually are successful enough to live off of an acting career. You are more likely to succeed if you have multiple performance talents. For example if you can sing and act, or dance and act, you are far more likely to get a shot at a career. You also must be very likable and good at talking with people. You will go to hundreds of acting calls just trying to get noticed. If you don't catch the attention of the director in the first couple seconds you can kiss your chances goodbye. Don't be afraid to take the really crappy acting jobs, stage acting in horrible conditions, seconds, alternates etc. You have to at least get a foot in the door in the industry. You also must have a backup plan in case things go south. Good luck, it's probably one of the most difficult industries anyone can ever pursue. ferrari2001

i agree with almost everything you said except that.

I mean I guess it depends what you mean by really crappy acting jobs.

Doing an ad for erecti0n problems is probably going to do more harm than anything else lol.

Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
Film school is a waste of money.