FIFA wc 2014 groups are announced

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

After the stunned was pulled by the Croatian player and their fans Croatia should have being banned from playing, not even German players would have done something like that.

I am looking forward on Brazil beating Croatia.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#52  Edited By RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

I am relieved to see the group that my home country(Colombia) is in. Colombia have a chance to make it to the brackets considering none of their opposition are any of the top-all time teams. I do however feel bad for the USA(my adopted country) because their opposition in the group stages are really strong. Germany and Portugal which are some of the top European teams and Ghana which are really good and eliminated the US in the last world cup.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

@killerfist said:

Netherlands should be able to go through.

Yeah, hopefully. Defeating Spain would be an insane initiation.

SolidsnakeY15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 SolidsnakeY15
Member since 2004 • 2302 Posts

Can't say I'm too happy with the draw. Brazil and Argentina get a free ride into the round of 16 on what is essentially home ground for them... come on!

I like Italy but they of course get put in the group of death. Will be a very exciting group to watch though because IMO Uruguay, England and Italy are all similar tier with no clear winner here.

France just scrape it past qualification and get a goddamn holiday for a group! How is that fair??? Ugghh...

Don't really understand why everyone is making a big deal of group G, but anyway. USA was never a strong nation in football so don't really care that they'll be out quickly, the rest of the world isn't missing anything top quality with their loss. I do hope they (or Ghana) make it ahead of Portugal though, if they get lucky enough.

Being from Australia... pretty sad to see us out this quickly... our only hope would be if Netherlands manage to stuff up as hugely as they did in Euro 2012, which I just don't see happening. Even then, Chile is quite tough as well so Australia have a very huge mountain to climb that frankly I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish bottom in the group.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

I LOL'd when I saw where the US ended up.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@SolidsnakeY15 said:

Can't say I'm too happy with the draw. Brazil and Argentina get a free ride into the round of 16 on what is essentially home ground for them... come on!

I like Italy but they of course get put in the group of death. Will be a very exciting group to watch though because IMO Uruguay, England and Italy are all similar tier with no clear winner here.

France just scrape it past qualification and get a goddamn holiday for a group! How is that fair??? Ugghh...

Don't really understand why everyone is making a big deal of group G, but anyway. USA was never a strong nation in football so don't really care that they'll be out quickly, the rest of the world isn't missing anything top quality with their loss. I do hope they (or Ghana) make it ahead of Portugal though, if they get lucky enough.

Being from Australia... pretty sad to see us out this quickly... our only hope would be if Netherlands manage to stuff up as hugely as they did in Euro 2012, which I just don't see happening. Even then, Chile is quite tough as well so Australia have a very huge mountain to climb that frankly I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish bottom in the group.

Yeah, it's kind of a shame that you guys were put in such a tough group. Good luck to you guys nonetheless.

bayloski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 bayloski
Member since 2010 • 2707 Posts
@mystic_knight said:

Australia is the most screwed LMAO.

SPAIN!!!

Netherlands!!!!

Chile.. lol RIP Australia T_T

Also Colombia will easily dominate their squad which is good to see. Falcao is a great captain who has guided his team well.

Aren't Australia the 2nd lowest ranked team in the World Cup anyway?? Would have been fucked regardless of what group they where in.

Group C will probably be the closest contended. England will have to do something special just to get out of their group.

I've got Brazil v Spain for the Final with Germany v Belgium playing off for 3rd.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

@deeliman said:

@killerfist said:

Netherlands should be able to go through.

I hope so after the dismal performance of 2012 lol

I don't even consider that a played championship.. lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

LMAO gg Redcoats

Oh how times have changed :>

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deeliman

@Aljosa23: They have really fallen from grace the last couple of years lol

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#61  Edited By iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

#Team USA lost to Ghana before so that is not an easy match in addition to Chris Ronaldo/Portugal and Germany so this will likely not be an advance to the Quarterfinals like we had in Korea.

I give them a fair chance at one victory and unlikely to win or draw against Portugal and it would take something like the 1950 England miracle to obtain a win against Germany.

Team Melli is in a group with Argentina but also has Bosnia-Herzegovina and Nigeria so they have a pretty good chance at winning two maches.

Team USA is lucky not to be in this group as they have to my knowledge never defeated Team Melli.

I watch the NFL if there isn't any Australian Rules or Premier League/Champions League on at the same time

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#62 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

Also while I do understand complainging about the group you are in we all realize it doesn't matter that much. any football squad good enough to be here has the potential to win match....or lose a match for that matter on any given day.

Besides getting through a relatively easy group only takes you to the next stage and who ever remembers those finished as Quarterfinalists or the ones who lost or even the ones who won the third place match!

We all know that Uruguay won a couple of the early Cups and England, while it has the Premier League won only in 1966.

And of course the Yanks remember 1950 very well, we even made a movie about that game :)

Personally I follow football leagues and teams in several nations - from Iran to Norway to Australia and Canada. Also Rugby League.

even played a bit of Australian Rules a few years back

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

Why does it matter if USA is in a hard group? At some point in the tournament they would have to play a Germany/Portugal/Spain and thus lose. Why do people care when they lose?

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deeliman

@limpbizkit818 said:

Why does it matter if USA is in a hard group? At some point in the tournament they would have to play a Germany/Portugal/Spain and thus lose. Why do people care when they lose?

It's more prestigious to lose in the quarter/semi finals then in the group stage.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/12/09/was_the_2014_world_cup_draw_fixed.html?wpisrc=burger_bar

It's FIFA so... yeah, probably

Sidburn19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Sidburn19  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 4715 Posts

@mystic_knight said:

Australia is the most screwed LMAO.

SPAIN!!!

Netherlands!!!!

Chile.. lol RIP Australia T_T

Also Colombia will easily dominate their squad which is good to see. Falcao is a great captain who has guided his team well.

I can see Chile and Spain going through. Chile beat England recently 2 - 0. Chile has a good team this year.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 limpbizkit818

@deeliman said:

@limpbizkit818 said:

It's more prestigious to lose in the quarter/semi finals then in the group stage.

Is it really? Pretty sure it's not like that in any other sport/event. If you lose you lose. There is no trophy for 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th place.......

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@limpbizkit818: Well, yeah, but if the US makes it out of the group stage that does wonders for their FIFA ranking, for those who care about that.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 limpbizkit818

@Aljosa23 said:

@limpbizkit818: Well, yeah, but if the US makes it out of the group stage that does wonders for their FIFA ranking, for those who care about that.

Just looked up how the FIFA rankings are calculated. Thanks for that.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#70 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

England have a tough group.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deeliman

@limpbizkit818 said:

@deeliman said:

@limpbizkit818 said:

Is it really? Pretty sure it's not like that in any other sport/event. If you lose you lose. There is no trophy for 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th place.......

You also get more money if you end up higher.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@sukraj said:

Yes very tough! In fact I have a bad feeling we'll already be out of the tournament before the final game with Costa Rica, as I see us losing to both Italy and Uruguay.

Looking at all the other groups I'd say that Brazil should comfortably win their group, Chile could surprisingly progress ahead of Holland in Group B, Ivory Coast should finally progress to the last 16, France and Argentina both have an easy ride, Ghana could provide a shock and progress ahead of Portugal and Russia and Belgium should progress easily out of the final group. I have a feeling it could be a Brazil/Argentina final!

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deeliman

@I-AM-N00B said:

@sukraj said:

Yes very tough! In fact I have a bad feeling we'll already be out of the tournament before the final game with Costa Rica, as I see us losing to both Italy and Uruguay.

Looking at all the other groups I'd say that Brazil should comfortably win their group, Chile could surprisingly progress ahead of Holland in Group B, Ivory Coast should finally progress to the last 16, France and Argentina both have an easy ride, Ghana could provide a shock and progress ahead of Portugal and Russia and Belgium should progress easily out of the final group. I have a feeling it could be a Brazil/Argentina final!

If Brazil wins, they'd probably have to go against either holland or spain, which would be pretty tough, so I'm not sure about that.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

@I-AM-N00B said:
@sukraj said:

I hope your wrong about England, but I have similar fears myself. Uruguay aren't as good as everyone is making them out to be though (only finished 5th in qualifying and needed a play-off to get there) and if Suarez or Cavani get injured before the tournament then we would be massive favourites to qualify ahead of them. Definitely see us losing the Italy game though, or getting a point at best.

As for the other groups you have most of the same teams as I have down to progress, but I think Colombia will win the Ivory Coast's group, and France will finish 2nd behind the Swiss in their group. Think Belgium are being overhyped and will go out in the last 16. Would also be awesome to see a Brazil/Spain last 16 match, but think its more likely to be them against Chile or Holland.