FIFA Officials Arrested by FBI on Corruption Charges

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

United States law enforcement officials declared in forceful terms on Wednesday that their broad investigation of FIFA had only begun and pledged to rid the international soccer organization of systemic corruption.

The Justice Department, F.B.I. and I.R.S. described soccer’s governing body in terms normally reserved for Mafia families and drug cartels, saying that top officials treated FIFA business decisions as chits to be traded for personal wealth. One soccer official took in more than $10 million in bribes, Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch said.

“These individuals and organizations engaged in bribery to decide who would televise games, where the games would be held, and who would run the organization overseeing organized soccer worldwide,” said Ms. Lynch, who supervised the investigation from its earliest stages.

The promise that the investigation would continue raised the specter of more arrests, but officials would not comment on whether they were investigating Sepp Blatter, the FIFA president and the man widely regarded as the most powerful person in sports. One federal law enforcement official said Mr. Blatter’s fate would “depend on where the investigation goes from here.”

“This is the beginning of our effort, not the end,” said Kelly T. Currie, acting U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York. Indeed, the indictment refers to 25 unnamed co-conspirators, from FIFA officials to a South Africa World Cup bid-committee official. “We are looking into individuals and entities in a variety of countries,” Mr. Currie said.The government is pursuing a “very aggressive prosecutorial response in order to change behavior,” said James B. Comey, director of the FBI.

Swiss authorities, working in conjunction with United States officials, conducted an extraordinary early-morning operation in Zurich on Wednesday to arrest several top soccer officials and extradite them to the United States on federal corruption charges.

more here

USA! USA! USA!

fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By fize4ever
Member since 2009 • 1652 Posts

Finally! It was about freaking time.

FIFA is the most corrupt institution I've ever seen in my life. My local league had an issue where clubs paid FIFA to denounce and marginalize titles won by other clubs. This went unheard everywhere because it was in Asia!

FYI, those titles that got omitted were freaking league titles! I would understand if it was some cup, but a league with all its glory. So many wasted seasons....

What's more absurd, is that the other club also paid them to recognize friendly tournaments. These money-leeching assholes need to be punished.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

I thought they were bringing down charges due to all the dives.

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts

lol, what's fantastic about this is that there is a small sliver of American society that loves soccer, but a vast majority that simply loves the fact that America can't stand it while the rest of the world thinks it's the greatest game ever.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I remember hearing about corruption in soccer years ago.. Seems like we're doing something about it.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

They should all be arrested and thrown in jail for being associated with the most boring sports non-entertainment ever.

Dagxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dagxton
Member since 2015 • 157 Posts

These arrests, despite being completely justified and have been coming for a long time is not the news story people want it to be. This IMO has come from two parts: 1) Qatar beating the US in the bidding process and 2) the publicity of the migrant workers in Qatar.

In terms of the world cup bid, no one is going to take away the world cup from Qatar and IMO they shouldnt if this is the reason. This is because not only are people going to get sued over breaking contracts for no actually acceptable reason, but you are going to have problems in terms of who to give it to. US and Australia might be the obvious choices but the problems with this is that they were trying the bribe officials as well to get the world cup and it is going to look very bad if US loses a bidding process because they werent bribing officials enough, get outraged, arrest said officials two years later after 20 years of the corruption for said bribery, and then get given the world cup.

The issue with the migrant workers is that the fact that everyone targeted FIFA instead of Qatar itself was quite frankly, a cop out. It was people looking like they were opposing something was simultaniously ignoring the issue. FIFA had nothing to do with them, didnt appove or even know about them during the bidding process. That is an aspect of Qatari culture that has nothing to do with FIFA and no one understood that. And if hypothetically the internet warriors got what they wanted and FIFA took away the world cup because of the migrant warriors. That does nothing for the issue like people were claiming and instead just meant that the majority could ignore the issue like before. This is because as people who would have researched this story have said, Qatar in that scenario wouldnt be remorseful and admit that it is wrong, they would have just blamed the migrant workers for losing them the World Cup which would mean even worse treatment in that culture

But in the end, the biggest reason why this story is not as big as big are treating it as is because FIFA only have one responsibility in the sport, and that is choose which country hosts the world cup. Even if you can get rid of the corruption in making the choice despite all the money involved, there is still the question of how much it actually matters why countries are getting chosen to host this event and if the US didnt lose to Qatar in the bidding process, would we see the same reaction as we did to today in the investigation. Its been going on for at least 20 years according to the report (which is convienantly, the year after the US hosted it) and the US has only tried to intervene in the last two.

TLDR: The arrests are justified, but the story isnt what people want it to be yet and the US arent the moral crusaders it sounds like at first glance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@SUD123456 said:

They should all be arrested and thrown in jail for being associated with the most boring sports non-entertainment ever.

y u do dis man :(

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Fifa should be boycotted.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

Fifa should be boycotted.

Sigh.... I guess I'll have to watch a match so I can boycott it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I didn't even know the FBI took lead in such international matters. I would've thought Interpol might be more appropriate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I didn't even know the FBI took lead in such international matters. I would've thought Interpol might be more appropriate.

FBI is going directly after officials who laundered money and took bribes on American soil. So officials from CONCACAF (North America) are the main ones being investigated. The Swiss authorities are doing their own investigation.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

I've avoided reading up on this or watching what they've been saying on TV, but I've already got things going through my head that I'm already skeptical about.

For instance, the USDOJ already overlooks tons of potential cases in big money corruption every day, so what's so special about this case? I mean sure I bet whoever was vying for World Cup in the United States was probably making corrupt under the table bribes themselves it's just the Qatar people probably out-brided them. And, these big shots in the US that wanted World Cup probably had money and power, probably had many connections in government with ties or within the DOJ itself. So, in retaliation, with those they lobbied in government, they sic their paid dogs on FIFA out of vengeance.

I mean, if you expect me to believe the FBI and DOJ are doing this out of principle I laugh at that notion.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

I can't do anything but laugh seeing those corrupt bags of money being arrested like the scum they are!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@lamprey263 said:

I've avoided reading up on this or watching what they've been saying on TV, but I've already got things going through my head that I'm already skeptical about.

For instance, the USDOJ already overlooks tons of potential cases in big money corruption every day, so what's so special about this case? I mean sure I bet whoever was vying for World Cup in the United States was probably making corrupt under the table bribes themselves it's just the Qatar people probably out-brided them. And, these big shots in the US that wanted World Cup probably had money and power, probably had many connections in government with ties or within the DOJ itself. So, in retaliation, with those they lobbied in government, they sic their paid dogs on FIFA out of vengeance.

I mean, if you expect me to believe the FBI and DOJ are doing this out of principle I laugh at that notion.

To be fair I don't think it really matters at this point. Any sane individual knows the world is grey and everyone is out for their own self interests when it comes to powerful men and women in power. It doesn't matter to me WHY the DoJ is going so hard on FIFA but whatever the reason is, I'm glad they are. Too long has the current regime (and even previous regime) stained the beautiful game.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@dagxton said:

These arrests, despite being completely justified and have been coming for a long time is not the news story people want it to be. This IMO has come from two parts: 1) Qatar beating the US in the bidding process and 2) the publicity of the migrant workers in Qatar.

In terms of the world cup bid, no one is going to take away the world cup from Qatar and IMO they shouldnt if this is the reason. This is because not only are people going to get sued over breaking contracts for no actually acceptable reason, but you are going to have problems in terms of who to give it to. US and Australia might be the obvious choices but the problems with this is that they were trying the bribe officials as well to get the world cup and it is going to look very bad if US loses a bidding process because they werent bribing officials enough, get outraged, arrest said officials two years later after 20 years of the corruption for said bribery, and then get given the world cup.

The issue with the migrant workers is that the fact that everyone targeted FIFA instead of Qatar itself was quite frankly, a cop out. It was people looking like they were opposing something was simultaniously ignoring the issue. FIFA had nothing to do with them, didnt appove or even know about them during the bidding process. That is an aspect of Qatari culture that has nothing to do with FIFA and no one understood that. And if hypothetically the internet warriors got what they wanted and FIFA took away the world cup because of the migrant warriors. That does nothing for the issue like people were claiming and instead just meant that the majority could ignore the issue like before. This is because as people who would have researched this story have said, Qatar in that scenario wouldnt be remorseful and admit that it is wrong, they would have just blamed the migrant workers for losing them the World Cup which would mean even worse treatment in that culture

But in the end, the biggest reason why this story is not as big as big are treating it as is because FIFA only have one responsibility in the sport, and that is choose which country hosts the world cup. Even if you can get rid of the corruption in making the choice despite all the money involved, there is still the question of how much it actually matters why countries are getting chosen to host this event and if the US didnt lose to Qatar in the bidding process, would we see the same reaction as we did to today in the investigation. Its been going on for at least 20 years according to the report (which is convienantly, the year after the US hosted it) and the US has only tried to intervene in the last two.

TLDR: The arrests are justified, but the story isnt what people want it to be yet and the US arent the moral crusaders it sounds like at first glance

FIFA chose Qatar knowing it's human rights violations. That makes them just as shitty as Qatar.

Dagxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dagxton

@airshockerThe migrant workers were largely overlooked in the bidding process. The human rights issues with Qatar that was mentioned was for Gay people and that was it as no one predicted the number of deaths among the workers in building the stadiums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@dagxton said:

@airshockerThe migrant workers were largely overlooked in the bidding process. The human rights issues with Qatar that was mentioned was for Gay people and that was it as no one predicted the number of deaths among the workers in building the stadiums

Who cares if it was overlooked in the bidding process? The violations exist. The treatment of migrant workers is a human rights issue. By having countries that violate basic human rights host the World Cup, FIFA is indirectly supporting those practices.

Dagxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dagxton

@airshocker said:
@dagxton said:

Who cares if it was overlooked in the bidding process? The violations exist. The treatment of migrant workers is a human rights issue. By having countries that violate basic human rights host the World Cup, FIFA is indirectly supporting those practices.

It matters because of the amount of money tied up in the world cup and the fact that once certain contracts are signed, there can realistically no way back from giving the country the world cup , regardless of what it it may be that they end up being indirectly. And my point regarding those workers wasnt that FIFA arent responsible, it is that these arrests arent going to mean that the World Cup is going to be taken off Qatar like people seem to be expecting to and the idea that the way to oppose the use of those workers and try and force a solution through FIFA was a cop out as they arent the real problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@dagxton said:
@airshocker said:
@dagxton said:

It matters because of the amount of money tied up in the world cup and the fact that once certain contracts are signed, there can realistically no way back from giving the country the world cup , regardless of what it it may be that they end up being indirectly. And my point regarding those workers wasnt that FIFA arent responsible, it is that these arrests arent going to mean that the World Cup is going to be taken off Qatar like people seem to be expecting to and the idea that the way to oppose the use of those workers and try and force a solution through FIFA was a cop out as they arent the real problem.

Then FIFA cares more about money than they do about human rights. It's as simple as that.

FIFA is part of the problem. By financially supporting those countries they are, in fact, helping those countries perpetuate those crimes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Anybody watch that John Oliver episode about FIFA. Wonder if his show had anything to do with this crackdown by raising awareness of how corrupt FIFA is.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

@-God- said:

I thought they were bringing down charges due to all the dives.

lol, so true. These soccer players should get a career in movies

fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fize4ever

So, Blatter won the presidency, again.

Holy moly, it's like they have no shame.

fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fize4ever
"Come at me, USA!"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@fize4ever said:

His power base is in Africa and Asia, which he has donated a lot of money to upgrade sports infrastructure. They don't care what goes on in as long as the $$$ keeps flowing.

fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fize4ever

@Aljosa23 said:
@fize4ever said:

His power base is in Africa and Asia, which he has donated a lot of money to upgrade sports infrastructure. They don't care what goes on in as long as the $$$ keeps flowing.

Hell, some clubs pay him to get involved in local federations and stomp other clubs over, with complete disregard to the federation's jurisdiction.

Fucking hate weak-ass corrupt AFC. So much BS here. If it was in Europe, FIFA wouldn't even dare got involved in Liga or Premier league affairs. Just imagine walking up to an established league and redefining its foundation history, giving a club a royal decree (THEY LITERALLY DID THIS), and omitting championships won by other clubs, while acknowledging friendly tournaments for the others. They caused so much dichotomy and hooliganism in our good sport (we were the best league in AFC, now we're the second best), I'll never forgive those corrupt bastards.

Although I have to admit, some of these are lulzy.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

About time. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if this were just a jab at Russia by the US for hosting the next WC.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Arrest EA for including Women's Football.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@SUD123456 said:

Oh my God! You're so right! You're comment trully enlighted me!

How could I ever be so foolish? How could I never realise billions of people in the world were so wrong!

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Even if this is true is it really a bad thing? Sure you still have the corrupt people here that tried to pay bribes, but at least you're getting rid of the corrupt official at FIFA for taking bribes. Better to get only one party than none.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

Even if this is true is it really a bad thing? Sure you still have the corrupt people here that tried to pay bribes, but at least you're getting rid of the corrupt official at FIFA for taking bribes. Better to get only one party than none.

It's the right thing for the wrong reasons. If anything just goes to show the DOJ is corrupt and only doing this because of those lobbied interests that compel it to.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if all sports had some sort of corruption tied to them. Money talks...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

http://www.theguardian.com/media/shortcuts/2015/jun/01/jack-warner-fall-spoof-onion-satirical-website

omg lol

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Okay I can't figure this out, why is this FBI's concern? Fifa is located in Switzerland, and it's an international organization, what's US got to do with it? Who's given them the right to raid an organization which is located OUTSIDE the American soil ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@elkoldo said:

Okay I can't figure this out, why is this FBI's concern? Fifa is located in Switzerland, and it's an international organization, what's US got to do with it? Who's given them the right to raid an organization which is located OUTSIDE the American soil ?

1. FBI is investigating CONCACAF representatives and everyone arrested thus far is American; the Swiss are doing their own investigation into the bidding process for WC 2018 and 2022.
2. The raid was conducted by joint Swiss & US officials. The Swiss have given them the right.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@Vatusus said:
@SUD123456 said:

Oh my God! You're so right! You're comment trully enlighted me!

How could I ever be so foolish? How could I never realise billions of people in the world were so wrong!

You're not very smart? You are slow on the uptake? You give people too much credit? You lack a sense of humour?

There are many possibilities for why you are so foolish.

Dagxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dagxton

@Aljosa23 said:
@elkoldo said:

1. FBI is investigating CONCACAF representatives and everyone arrested thus far is American; the Swiss are doing their own investigation into the bidding process for WC 2018 and 2022.

2. The raid was conducted by joint Swiss & US officials. The Swiss have given them the right.

No and no

The US are involved because American Banks were used for money laundering etc by those arrested

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@dagxton: Yes and everyone arrested is an American citizen who is involved with CONCACAF and CONMEBOL the subsection of FIFA that deals with North America and South America respectively. They took a lot of bribes to lockup lucrative sports contracts and took kickbacks. I don't know what you're arguing exactly.

Dagxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dagxton

@Aljosa23: He asked why were the FBI involved, and it had nothing to do with the reasons you mentioned. The FBI are involved solely for the reason that the members of FIFA were using American Banks for their money laundering. The things you mentioned are a completely seperate issue and had nothing to do with the question as his question was how could they arrest them on the basis that the US had no control of FIFA since it is based in the Switzerland, which is true

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@dagxton said:

@Aljosa23: He asked why were the FBI involved, and it had nothing to do with the reasons you mentioned. The FBI are involved solely for the reason that the members of FIFA were using American Banks for their money laundering. The things you mentioned are a completely seperate issue and had nothing to do with the question as his question was how could they arrest them on the basis that the US had no control of FIFA since it is based in the Switzerland, which is true

Dude, it's in the article lol.

"These individuals and organizations engaged in bribery to decide who would televise games, where the games would be held, and who would run the organization overseeing organized soccer worldwide,” said Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch, who supervised the investigation from its earliest stages, when she was the United States attorney for the Eastern District of New York. “They did this over and over, year after year, tournament after tournament.”

"Though many of the charges revolve around activities that occurred abroad, Ms. Lynch said she never had qualms about bringing charges in the United States. United States law allows for extradition and prosecution of foreign nationals under a number of statutes, and court documents say that the activity affected interstate and foreign commerce, and took place in part in New York’s Eastern District."

The FBI was always investigating it, charging them by using American banks is only the mechanism for which they brought the charges to the US.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Serves em right

Dagxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dagxton
@Aljosa23 said:
@dagxton said:

Dude, it's in the article lol.

"These individuals and organizations engaged in bribery to decide who would televise games, where the games would be held, and who would run the organization overseeing organized soccer worldwide,” said Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch, who supervised the investigation from its earliest stages, when she was the United States attorney for the Eastern District of New York. “They did this over and over, year after year, tournament after tournament.”

"Though many of the charges revolve around activities that occurred abroad, Ms. Lynch said she never had qualms about bringing charges in the United States. United States law allows for extradition and prosecution of foreign nationals under a number of statutes, and court documents say that the activity affected interstate and foreign commerce, and took place in part in New York’s Eastern District."

The FBI was always investigating it, charging them by using American banks is only the mechanism for which they brought the charges to the US.

Then how come I was the one who actually answered the question. What you have quoted here was the answer to his question, but their was no mention of it from you until I pulled you up on it.

What you said was that the FBI was able to charge FIFA members because they arrested members of CONCECAF who were American and were allowed to by Switzerland, which had nothing to do with it. Dont try and claim that that is what you meant when you never mentioned it in the first place

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Off-topic

@indzman said:

Serves em right

Indio where da faq have you been? It's been a hundred years since I last saw you. Since anyone saw you!

Guys, I found him, over here!

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

More proof that soccor is a crap sport.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@elkoldo said:

Off-topic

@indzman said:

Serves em right

Indio where da faq have you been? It's been a hundred years since I last saw you. Since anyone saw you!

Guys, I found him, over here!

Heh, was busy with work lol. Great to hear from you Erfan :)

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

More proof that soccor is a crap sport.

Agreed, I'm definitely more of a basketball person. :P

fize4ever