feminism attacking WWII sailor kissing nurse picture

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="harashawn"] I don't think a kiss is sexual, epecially in this context. The war had just ended and they were celebrating. It was an act of pure joy, not of sexuality, and people are demonizing it. Would you feel the same way if he had hugged her instead? I don't believe any one of us can honestly say they would not have done the same thing in his place. redstorm72

It's still sexual assault. That's based on the person's actions, not why he did it.

So when a grandson gives their grandmother a kiss on the cheek, it's sexual? At least according to your logic.

Take that filth to OTAH
-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts
[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"][QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"] If she didn't care, then this thread was officially a waste of breath.

*facepalm*...why the heck did you think I was so adamant about this?....do you think I would have been cool with it if the woman had been saying that this guy took advantage of her and she was hurt by it?....sheesh people..>_>

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="harashawn"] I'm not sure we are in agreement on what a kiss is.

If you even have to specify that the context keeps this kiss from being sexual assault, then you're implicitly agreeing that kisses can be sexual assault. Would I be accused of sexual assault if I went outside right now, grabbed the first woman I saw, and then made out with her?
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#154 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts

He had no f***ing idea whether or not she objected, and did it anyway. What exactly are you not getting about that? Sure she didn't object, but that's all after the fact. MrGeezer
so everytime a guy or girl has kissed someone and they were not sure how it would go it was a sexual assault?....great logic....if she didn't object...no harm no foul...

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 -RocBoys9489-

Nothin better to do now

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 MrGeezer
<

So when a grandson gives their grandmother a kiss on the cheek, it's sexual? At least according to your logic.

redstorm72
A handshake isn't sexual, and that's nothing but me grabbing a person. Therefore, it's okay for me to grab that woman's boobs.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#157 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="harashawn"] I'm not sure we are in agreement on what a kiss is.

If you even have to specify that the context keeps this kiss from being sexual assault, then you're implicitly agreeing that kisses can be sexual assault. Would I be accused of sexual assault if I went outside right now, grabbed the first woman I saw, and then made out with her?

Sure you would, if she perceived it to be sexual. If everyone ran into the street in celebration and you did the same, then I highly doubt that would be the case.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"] He had no f***ing idea whether or not she objected, and did it anyway. What exactly are you not getting about that? Sure she didn't object, but that's all after the fact.

so everytime a guy or girl has kissed someone and they are not sure how it will go it's a sexual assault?....great logic....if she didn't object...no harm no foul...

Sure I f***ed that girl when she was passed out, but she doesn't mind. No harm no foul.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Omni-Slash

Sure I f***ed that girl when she was passed out, but she doesn't mind. No harm no foul.MrGeezer
Apples meet Oranges....Oranges meet Apples....

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 -RocBoys9489-
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Omni-Slash"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"] He had no f***ing idea whether or not she objected, and did it anyway. What exactly are you not getting about that? Sure she didn't object, but that's all after the fact.

so everytime a guy or girl has kissed someone and they are not sure how it will go it's a sexual assault?....great logic....if she didn't object...no harm no foul...

Sure I f***ed that girl when she was passed out, but she doesn't mind. No harm no foul.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]<

MrGeezer

A handshake isn't sexual, and that's nothing but me grabbing a person. Therefore, it's okay for me to grab that woman's boobs.

That's a philosophy I've always lived by.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="harashawn"] I'm not sure we are in agreement on what a kiss is.

Sure you would, if she perceived it to be sexual. If everyone ran into the street in celebration and you did the same, then I highly doubt that would be the case.

Then stop f***ing acting like kissing isn't sexual assault.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 harashawn
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Omni-Slash"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"] [QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Omni-Slash"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"] He had no f***ing idea whether or not she objected, and did it anyway. What exactly are you not getting about that? Sure she didn't object, but that's all after the fact.

That's not even close to the same thing. :?
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

[QUOTE="Lockedge"]He did something impulsively that didn't respect the woman's boundaries or desires. Just because he returned from a world war doesn't mean he "earned" that, it doesn't mean he's automatically free from criticism. Feminists aren't ruining the moment at all, they're casting light on it and showing the other side of the story. She wasn't kissing him. She didn't want to. Technically, that's sexual assault, and the fact that the guy's being defended here is just confirming the feminist's beliefs on rape culture. Seriously.N30F3N1X

Leave it to feminists to turn an impulsive action driven by an outburst of joy (which was collective, on top of that) into a case of suppression of women's rights. With 60 years of delay.

I always try to be understanding and respectful of others' people viewpoints. If said viewpoints aren't properly justified I still try to be respectful but being understanding becomes harder, although it never hurts to try.
With attitudes like yours, instead, I can't help but laugh out loud.

By the book, what he did was sexual harassment, especially in that day and age when a kiss held more weight to it than it does today. I would say that he was unjustified in his act. If you have a hard time understanding my viewpoint in this, then that's your problem.

And it's not just about "the suppression of women's rights". Rape culture affects both men and women. In this case, feminism would be assessing this particular moment in time, and looking at how her sexual agency was stripped from her with force. Looking 60 years back at a moment in time, and potentially comparing that with the current day not only allows us to view how society has changed, but also how it has remained the same. Why else would there be history books?

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 harashawn
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"] If you even have to specify that the context keeps this kiss from being sexual assault, then you're implicitly agreeing that kisses can be sexual assault. Would I be accused of sexual assault if I went outside right now, grabbed the first woman I saw, and then made out with her?

Then stop f***ing acting like kissing isn't sexual assault.

I think you missed the "if she perceived it to be sexual" part.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"] Sure I f***ed that girl when she was passed out, but she doesn't mind. No harm no foul.Omni-Slash

Apples meet Oranges....Oranges meet Apples....

No harm no foul meets no harm no foul. Both look like apples to me. If you've gotta defend the sailor, then stop using the "no harm no foul" thing. That's irrelevant and you know it.
-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 -RocBoys9489-

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="redstorm72"]<

redstorm72

That's a philosophy I've always lived by.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Omni-Slash

No harm no foul meets no harm no foul. Both look like apples to me. If you've gotta defend the sailor, then stop using the "no harm no foul" thing. That's irrelevant and you know it. MrGeezer
no it's not....men and women kiss people all the time that they are not sure what their response will be until the act is over....if you are saying this is sexual assault than I suggest getting into the law profession because it's going to be a booming industry.....raping someone whom is passed out drunk is a pretty big freakin leap to make...and honestly I shouldn't have bothered continuing this ridiculous conversation...

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Geezer and others have a point
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

that photo was staged. He didn't run up to her and suddenly kiss her.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 MrGeezer
no it's not....men and women kiss people all the time that they are not sure what their response will be until the act is over....if you are saying this is sexual assault than I suggest getting into the law profession because it's going to be a booming industry.....raping someone whom is passed out drunk is a pretty big freakin leap to make...and honestly I shouldn't have bothered continuing this ridiculous conversation...Omni-Slash
So...if she DID have a problem with it, would it have been sexual assault? If your answer is "no", then how she felt about it IS IRRELEVANT. It wouldn't have been sexual assault if she was fine with it, it also wouldn't have been sexual assault if she wasn't fine with it. And if your answer is "yes", then how she felt about it is STILL irrelevant. Because there's no way of knowing that she would be fine with it, which makes the act of doing it an attempt to sexually assault her. Focus on the ACT. If the ACT is wrong (as in the case of date rape), then you're damn right that it doesn't matter how she felt about it. Focusing on how the victim felt about it only serves to diminish the importance of the act itself.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#174 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Depends. If he forcefully pulled her into his embrace and kissed her without her permissions, sure, you could classify that as sexual assault by today's standards.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 harashawn
[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]no it's not....men and women kiss people all the time that they are not sure what their response will be until the act is over....if you are saying this is sexual assault than I suggest getting into the law profession because it's going to be a booming industry.....raping someone whom is passed out drunk is a pretty big freakin leap to make...and honestly I shouldn't have bothered continuing this ridiculous conversation...MrGeezer
So...if she DID have a problem with it, would it have been sexual assault? If your answer is "no", then how she felt about it IS IRRELEVANT. It wouldn't have been sexual assault if she was fine with it, it also wouldn't have been sexual assault if she wasn't fine with it. And if your answer is "yes", then how she felt about it is STILL irrelevant. Because there's no way of knowing that she would be fine with it, which makes the act of doing it an attempt to sexually assault her. Focus on the ACT. If the ACT is wrong (as in the case of date rape), then you're damn right that it doesn't matter how she felt about it. Focusing on how the victim felt about it only serves to diminish the importance of the act itself.

An act is only illegal/wrong if it is objected to. If I poke two separate people in the back of the neck, and one doesn't care but the other feels violated, only one of those acts can be considered wrong. Was the act itself wrong? No; but the victim's reaction to it made it wrong.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 redstorm72

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]no it's not....men and women kiss people all the time that they are not sure what their response will be until the act is over....if you are saying this is sexual assault than I suggest getting into the law profession because it's going to be a booming industry.....raping someone whom is passed out drunk is a pretty big freakin leap to make...and honestly I shouldn't have bothered continuing this ridiculous conversation...MrGeezer

Context matters. By your logic, everything is crime. When my friend punched me in the arm after I beat him at Halo? Assualt. When I ate some chips at my cousins house with out asking for permission? Theft. When I gave CPR (ie. kissing and boob touching) to a dying girl? Sexual assualt. How the victim feels about it and the contextual situation are very relevant.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Omni-Slash
[QUOTE="harashawn"] An act is only illegal/wrong if it is objected to. If I poke two separate people in the back of the neck, and one doesn't care but the other feels violated, only one of those acts can be considered wrong. Was the act itself wrong? No; but the victim's reaction to it made it wrong.

don't bother..his line of thinking is just so moronic it's not even worth a response to anymore....
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

It is clearly wrong, but the context does make it more acceptable to me.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 dave123321
I feel like geezer brings up a valid point. Though don't think it would be worth making a big deal out of it if she did not feel violated.
Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

She should consider herself lucky she didn't like in Nanking, China if she thinks that is bad. Most people involved in WW2 would probably wish that was the worse injustice they suffered. Though America didn't really feel the war like those who had enemy troops on their soil did, besides the soldiers on the frontline. My grandmother used to say WW2 was the best thing that ever happened because people had jobs unlike in the depression.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 MrGeezer
I feel like geezer brings up a valid point. Though don't think it would be worth making a big deal out of it if she did not feel violated.dave123321
Oh, don't get me wrong, I most certainly don't think it's a big deal. I'm just saying...hopefully most people can agree that just because something isn't a big deal doesn't mean it's not still wrong. I can think it's not a big deal without actually having to defend the guy. And to those who are defending him, please come up with something better than "it's okay, she didn't mind". She might not have minded, but that has nothing to do with whether or not it was okay for him to do it.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 redstorm72

Also, does anyone else find it in bad taste for feminists to complain about a dude stealing a kiss when a war had just ended that had forcibly drafted millions of men, many of whome never returned home? Seems like the stolen kiss wasn't exactly the biggest injustice at the time.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I'm just going to leave this here

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/06/that-times-square-smooch-right-to-the-kisser/

Edit. crap, never mind. I'm mixing up these two photos. Why can't the names be normal like Fred or something?

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 harashawn

Also, does anyone else find it in bad taste for feminists to complain about a dude stealing a kiss when a war had just ended that had forcibly drafted millions of men, many of whome never returned home? Seems like the stolen kiss wasn't exactly the biggest injustice at the time.

redstorm72
They just try to spin it negatively and complain about how they weren't allowed to go to war, rather than they didn't have to.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="harashawn"] An act is only illegal/wrong if it is objected to. If I poke two separate people in the back of the neck, and one doesn't care but the other feels violated, only one of those acts can be considered wrong. Was the act itself wrong? No; but the victim's reaction to it made it wrong.

Really? If someone takes some money out of your wallet but you don't notice that they did, is that okay? If some kids steal your car and take it on a joyride, but they return it before you notice, is that okay?
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Omni-Slash
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"] Really? If someone takes some money out of your wallet but you don't notice that they did, is that okay? If some kids steal your car and take it on a joyride, but they return it before you notice, is that okay?

do you have any idea as to what the term "context" means?..
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 bloodling

An act is only illegal/wrong if it is objected to. If I poke two separate people in the back of the neck, and one doesn't care but the other feels violated, only one of those acts can be considered wrong. Was the act itself wrong? No; but the victim's reaction to it made it wrong.harashawn

Someone's reaction doesn't make it right or wrong. However, if you ask someone "Can I do this?" and the person agrees, then it's okay.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 harashawn
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="harashawn"] An act is only illegal/wrong if it is objected to. If I poke two separate people in the back of the neck, and one doesn't care but the other feels violated, only one of those acts can be considered wrong. Was the act itself wrong? No; but the victim's reaction to it made it wrong.

Really? If someone takes some money out of your wallet but you don't notice that they did, is that okay? If some kids steal your car and take it on a joyride, but they return it before you notice, is that okay?

Whether I know about it isn't the point. It is whether I would object to it.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 bloodling

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"] Really? If someone takes some money out of your wallet but you don't notice that they did, is that okay? If some kids steal your car and take it on a joyride, but they return it before you notice, is that okay?Omni-Slash
do you have any idea as to what the term "context" means?..

Context does need to be taken into account. Context can make something more acceptable, but it doesn't make it right.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 harashawn

[QUOTE="harashawn"] An act is only illegal/wrong if it is objected to. If I poke two separate people in the back of the neck, and one doesn't care but the other feels violated, only one of those acts can be considered wrong. Was the act itself wrong? No; but the victim's reaction to it made it wrong.bloodling

Someone's reaction doesn't make it right or wrong. However, if you ask someone "Can I do this?" and the person agrees, then it's okay.

Of course it does. That's the entire basis of tort law.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="harashawn"] An act is only illegal/wrong if it is objected to. If I poke two separate people in the back of the neck, and one doesn't care but the other feels violated, only one of those acts can be considered wrong. Was the act itself wrong? No; but the victim's reaction to it made it wrong.

You can't object to it if you don't know about it, so the situation still stands. At no point do you ever end up objecting to it, but that still doesn't mean it isn't wrong, and it CERTAINLY doesn't mean it's not illegal.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 dave123321
[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="harashawn"] An act is only illegal/wrong if it is objected to. If I poke two separate people in the back of the neck, and one doesn't care but the other feels violated, only one of those acts can be considered wrong. Was the act itself wrong? No; but the victim's reaction to it made it wrong.harashawn

Legally speaking, yeah.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="harashawn"] An act is only illegal/wrong if it is objected to. If I poke two separate people in the back of the neck, and one doesn't care but the other feels violated, only one of those acts can be considered wrong. Was the act itself wrong? No; but the victim's reaction to it made it wrong.harashawn

But you can't predict someone's reaction, so it's always better to ask. If you don't ask, you're taking a chance that it might be taken the wrong way.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 dave123321
Don't think that a person should feel that an act is okay to do on the chance that the other person would not mind. Obvs it depends on what the act is.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 harashawn
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"] Really? If someone takes some money out of your wallet but you don't notice that they did, is that okay? If some kids steal your car and take it on a joyride, but they return it before you notice, is that okay?

You can't object to it if you don't know about it, so the situation still stands. At no point do you ever end up objecting to it, but that still doesn't mean it isn't wrong, and it CERTAINLY doesn't mean it's not illegal.

You're misunderstanding my point. It is wrong because I would object to it. Whether or not I know about it is irrelevant, given the fact that I would object upon finding out.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 harashawn

[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="bloodling"]

bloodling

But you can't predict someone's reaction, so it's always better to ask. If you don't ask, you're taking a chance that it might be taken the wrong way.

Sure, it's better to ask. Do you ask a girl, "Can I kiss you?" every time before you kiss her?
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 bloodling

You're misunderstanding my point. It is wrong because I would object to it. Whether or not I know about it is irrelevant, given the fact that I would object upon finding out.harashawn

But if you don't object to it, it doesn't make it right. The person's reaction has absolutely no influence on whether or not it's right. A person's act isn't judged on how the victim reacts after the act...

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="harashawn"] You're misunderstanding my point. It is wrong because I would object to it. Whether or not I know about it is irrelevant, given the fact that I would object upon finding out.

Of course, as the thief, I can't possibly know that. I'm only taking five bucks, and for all I know you wouldn't care about five bucks. Therefore, it's okay for me to just take it and hope that you wouldn't mind?
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 bloodling

Sure, it's better to ask. Do you ask a girl, "Can I kiss you?" every time before you kiss her?harashawn

So now you're saying that every time a guy kisses a girl, it's okay, unless the girl objects after the fact? Then it makes it wrong? How is a guy supposed to predict that?

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 harashawn

But if you don't object to it, it doesn't make it right. The person's reaction has absolutely no influence on whether or not it's right. A person's act isn't judged on how the victim reacts after the act...

bloodling
Yes, it absolutely is. Assault is only assault if the victim feels threatened, battery is only battery if contact is unwanted, theft is only theft if the victim feels there has been a loss. It is absolutely judged on how the victim reacts, and there is no argument which can be made against that fact.