feminism attacking WWII sailor kissing nurse picture

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mingmao3046 (2474 posts) -

Context: World War II just ended, sailor is happy to be home and alive, after aworld war. so he kisses a random nurse on the street.
leave it to feminism to turn it into an argument about rape and assault, also something that happened about 60 years ago.

the image is from a page called Truth Beckons

#2 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

inb4

"LYKE OMG FEMINISM IS BULLSHET!!" and "Ugh feminists."

And also: Link?

#3 Posted by drufeous (2533 posts) -

Extreme feminists are the the biggest biggot idiots out there.

#4 Posted by Aljosa23 (24513 posts) -

I don't get it. What's your issue TC?

#5 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -
Technically speaking, it is rape but seriously, you think she gave a **** ? The war just ended for godsake and the sailor didn't have any bad intentions. Not to mention its a really old photograph, certain things were socially acceptable back then.
#6 Posted by Lockedge (16794 posts) -
He did something impulsively that didn't respect the woman's boundaries or desires. Just because he returned from a world war doesn't mean he "earned" that, it doesn't mean he's automatically free from criticism. Feminists aren't ruining the moment at all, they're casting light on it and showing the other side of the story. She wasn't kissing him. She didn't want to. Technically, that's sexual assault, and the fact that the guy's being defended here is just confirming the feminist's beliefs on rape culture. Seriously.
#7 Posted by sSubZerOo (43003 posts) -
Just by reading Mingmao's posts you would think he got raped by a bunch of femi nazi women repeatedly.. Mingmao if we can use random posts based on facebook or other such things to prove how crazy feminists are.. Can we use your posts to prove how crazy and stupid Libertarians are to beat them over the head with?
#8 Posted by Celldrax (14548 posts) -

>1945

They must be really bored or something.

#9 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -
mingmao thread
#10 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -
I was going to post but Lockedge summed up my feelings perfectly.
#11 Posted by lensflare15 (6174 posts) -

>1945

They must be really bored or something.

Celldrax

#12 Posted by guynamedbilly (12919 posts) -
Wait, so was I raped when someone grabbed my hand to shake it without me offering it first? I need counseling I guess.
#13 Posted by sSubZerOo (43003 posts) -
Wait, so was I raped when someone grabbed my hand to shake it without me offering it first? I need counseling I guess.guynamedbilly
..........Ok yeah by today's standards that most definitely would be seen as sexual assault.. How the fvck can that be even considered shaking hands?
#14 Posted by mAArdman (1612 posts) -

nice to see that feminism is tackling modern issues

#15 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
Why is it women are the only ones that complain about random sex with strangers?
#16 Posted by Lonelynight (30039 posts) -
They just ended the war, I think the soldiers deserve some mouth raping.
#17 Posted by Slow_Show (2153 posts) -

Wait, so was I raped when someone grabbed my hand to shake it without me offering it first? I need counseling I guess.guynamedbilly

This is definitely one of the dumber strawmans I've seen.

#18 Posted by mAArdman (1612 posts) -

unless the guy grabbed your hand and put it on his cock before shaking it, i don't think you were raped.

#19 Posted by guynamedbilly (12919 posts) -
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]Wait, so was I raped when someone grabbed my hand to shake it without me offering it first? I need counseling I guess.sSubZerOo
..........Ok yeah by today's standards that most definitely would be seen as sexual assault.. How the fvck can that be even considered shaking hands?

I didn't say it wasn't. I was asking if I was raped, not if I was assaulted.
#20 Posted by Aljosa23 (24513 posts) -

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]Wait, so was I raped when someone grabbed my hand to shake it without me offering it first? I need counseling I guess.Slow_Show

This is definitely one of the dumber strawmans I've seen.

Quite an achievement tbh.

#21 Posted by Slashless (10085 posts) -

While I agree that surviving WWII doesn't grant you the right to kiss someone who doesn't want it that hardly constitutes "rape", the guy was just overwhelmed. Kind of happens when you come back from one of the worst events of the 20th century.

Also

"The poor lady doesn't even show she'd been raped"

I'm so tired of hearing this. Anyone who uses this phrase is a moron.

#22 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -
They just ended the war, I think the soldiers deserve some mouth raping. Lonelynight
Well that is the creepiest sentiment I've heard today.
#23 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Leave it to feminists to be almost 70 years late to the party.
#24 Posted by redstorm72 (4515 posts) -

Uhg, I hate hyper feminists. This is such a non-issue it's not even funny. Really, who would actually spend the time to give a f*** about this picture? It was 1945 (ie. standards were different) and the war had just ended (he was very excited). Does this make it 100% okay? No, but it was completely harmless and good intentioned. No one was hurt. To actually accuse this guy of sexual assualt is beyond stupid. If we use that standard, then I am guilty of dozens of assualts for the people I have knocked over in mosh pits at concerts.

#25 Posted by Slashless (10085 posts) -
Leave it to feminists to be almost 70 years late to the party.Zeviander
Right now it's either this or #1reasonwhy... rofl.
#26 Posted by Sphensen (715 posts) -

she doesn't look like she's trying to push him off either

I hate Feminazis

#27 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -

They are just mad because no sailors will kiss them.

#28 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -
Did they ever actually even figure out who the two people in that picture were? I seem to remember them not knowing who the man was and only being somewhat sure who the woman was. At any rate yeah that's technically sexual assault. It also happened 70 years ago and she didn't seem to mind.
#29 Posted by themajormayor (25667 posts) -
Guess I was raped at least two times then
#30 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -
Feminists these days are such a farcry from what they used to be it's not even funny
#31 Posted by Slow_Show (2153 posts) -

Did they ever actually even figure out who the two people in that picture were? I seem to remember them not knowing who the man was and only being somewhat sure who the woman was. At any rate yeah that's technically sexual assault. It also happened 70 years ago and she didn't seem to mind.Ace6301

Considering the picture in the OP contains a quote from the woman I'd hazard a guess that yes, they do in fact know her identity (and as said quote implies, she wasn't necessarily thrilled with the whole situation, either).

#32 Posted by 8-Bitterness (3707 posts) -
Eh I don't get why feminazis are so obsessed with rape, I wouldn't even dare consider raping 95% of them, not even if I were drunk. F*ck this kind of apparent neo-feminism.
#33 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Did they ever actually even figure out who the two people in that picture were? I seem to remember them not knowing who the man was and only being somewhat sure who the woman was. At any rate yeah that's technically sexual assault. It also happened 70 years ago and she didn't seem to mind.Slow_Show

Considering the picture in the OP contains a quote from the woman I'd hazard a guess that yes, they do in fact know her identity (and as said quote implies, she wasn't necessarily thrilled with the whole situation, either).

actually, reading the whole story, she was shocked when it happened, but it doesn't look like she really minded it

#34 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -
Guess I was raped at least two times thenthemajormayor
was thinking the same thing. and yet you won't hear me b*tichin. and i'd care even less - in fact a little proud even - if my moment was memorialized as part of the pictures for the victory in World War II or a similar world changing event for the better. and lol at those calling it rape. you wanna get technical it's sexual assault. unless i hear or read that that guy took that lady to the back alley and had his way with her against her will, it wasn't rape.
#35 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Did they ever actually even figure out who the two people in that picture were? I seem to remember them not knowing who the man was and only being somewhat sure who the woman was. At any rate yeah that's technically sexual assault. It also happened 70 years ago and she didn't seem to mind.Slow_Show

I think it's kind of funny the attributed quote isn't from the woman who is typically believed to be the Nurse in that picture. By several accounts she has the name of the sailor wrong too.
#36 Posted by mingmao3046 (2474 posts) -
Just by reading Mingmao's posts you would think he got raped by a bunch of femi nazi women repeatedly.. Mingmao if we can use random posts based on facebook or other such things to prove how crazy feminists are.. Can we use your posts to prove how crazy and stupid Libertarians are to beat them over the head with?sSubZerOo
I get my material from many different feminists. not just one.
#37 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6719 posts) -
Feminists are quite a silly bunch.
#38 Posted by Sphensen (715 posts) -
#39 Posted by wis3boi (31003 posts) -

le sigh

#40 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Leave it to feminists to be almost 70 years late to the party.Slashless
Right now it's either this or #1reasonwhy... rofl.

#1reasonwhy spoke about a modern, relevant issue. This does not. This is nitpicking.

#41 Posted by Stesilaus (3285 posts) -

While we're on the topic of extreme political correctness ...

Rilpas, I object to your avatar on the grounds that it's an anti-Semitic caricature!

Gnolam_MOO2.jpg

Anybody who has played the game (Master of Orion 2) will know that the Gnolams' racial bonus was skill in dealing with money. And look at his nose!

An alien who is gifted in financial matters and who has a large, hooked nose?

He's OBVIOUSLY based on a crude Jewish stereotype!

:evil:

#42 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

While we're on the topic of extreme political correctness ...

Rilpas, I object to your avatar on the grounds that it's an anti-Semitic caricature!

Gnolam_MOO2.jpg

Anybody who has played the game (Master of Orion 2) will know that the Gnolams' racial bonus was skill in dealing with money. And look at his nose!

An alien who is gifted in financial matters and who has a large, hooked nose?

He's OBVIOUSLY based on a crude Jewish stereotype!

:evil:

Stesilaus

lucky for me we don't have said stereotypes in my country, I never even made the connection until someone told me about it a few months ago :P

#43 Posted by Slashless (10085 posts) -

#1reasonwhy spoke about a modern, relevant issue.

Lucky_Krystal

Hardly. It was whiny, superficial, unverifiable, and at worst, nonsensical drivel, that offered no solutions and while shining light on an "issue" it fails at doing anything else and will be forgotten like Aniita's Video game ordeal.

#44 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -

here's an interview with the woman

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/loc.natlib.afc2001001.42863/transcript?ID=sr0001

I think the Feminaizis just want to take something out of context to help label man as evil

Sphensen

just a short excerpt from the interview:

"Patricia Redmond:

Are you and George are still in touch?

Greta Friedman:

Once in awhile. We send Christmas cards and he has a very lovely wife and I have talked to her. Were not friends to see each other, but through this happening we have something in common."

sounds like she is a very very bitter woman and she's very upset that she just for a brief happy moment didn't exercise her agency...

Why does it seem to me, that older generations and more traditional young women - while not wanting to be stepped on by anyone - are far less senstive compared to a lot of hyper-sensitive feminists?

#45 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
Why do you care about FB comments? they are as dumb as youtube.
#46 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -
Why do you care about FB comments? they are as dumb as youtube.dramaybaz
and Yahoo comment section. and hell... MOST comment sections. but Yahoo and Youtube in particular give me the most headache.
#47 Posted by Blue-Sky (10315 posts) -

We can argue semantics as to how severe of an assault the word rape means but the nurse was in fact assaulted.

I don't think anyone has a right to forceably kiss a random woman on the street.

#48 Posted by Slashless (10085 posts) -
[QUOTE="dramaybaz"]Why do you care about FB comments? they are as dumb as youtube.SaudiFury
and Yahoo comment section. and hell... MOST comment sections. but Yahoo and Youtube in particular give me the most headache.

Well tbf if you read most of what makes it to Yahoo's front page for news you'll see that the idiots in the comment section are who they're trying to appeal to.
#49 Posted by Stesilaus (3285 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stesilaus"]

rilpas

lucky for me we don't have said stereotypes in my country, I never even made the connection until someone told me about it a few months ago :P

I was just kidding, of course. :)