Fedoras: awesome or lame?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I've been struggling to decide whether fedoras are badass or incredibly lame. Let's take a look at some notable fedora wearers:  Rocky Balboa  Indiana Jones  Paul "Bear" Bryant (for those who don't know, he was a great Alabama football coach who got his nickname for wrestling a bear. My high school football coach played for him and won a national championship)  Dick Tracy  Inspector Gadget  Freddy Krueger But then, we have the downside of the fedora.  The lame kid who wears a hat in "Not Another Teen Movie"  This random guy I found on Google Images So, what is your verdict, OT? I'm leaning towards badass, myself.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
Lame on some, cool on very few
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 famicommander
Lame on some, cool on very fewDivergeUnify
That's pretty sound reasoning.
Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Scarface_tm431
Member since 2004 • 10063 Posts

Lame on some, cool on very fewDivergeUnify

QFT, kinda like kangols, except those are cool on even less people then fedoras

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 famicommander
Also, Red Forman from That 70s Show wears one. I just couldn't find a picture of him with it.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I'm gonna go with "badass" too.

Hell, even though that random Google Image kid looks sort of lme, I'll bet that he would've looked three times lamer if he wasn't wearing a fedora hat.

Of course, it helps that the pic is in black and white. THat evokes the sense of Weegee's crime photos. Remember that scene in Goodfellas where the lame kid gets shot in the foot? And then how later Joe Pesci is making fun of the kid because of how he's limping becausehe got shot in the foot, and then the kid tells Joe Pesci to go **** himself. So then Joe Pesci shoots the guy dead.

See, the kid in Goodfellas was sort of lame, but he had balls. He was lame, but he was also sort of a cool dude.

That's the same vibe I get from the random picture image. It looks like a picture of some dude who is totally lame, but was badass enough to **** with the wrong dude. And then Weegee would show up and take pictures of the kid with his brains smeared all over the street.

But here's the thing...when Weegee arrives on the scene, the kid's fedora hat is gonna be lying next to what used to be the kid's head. You now see one of Weegee's crime photographs in a book. And without any context, you just see a kid lying dead on the street with his head bloiwn off. But you also see the fedora hat lying next to his exploded head, and you think to yourself, "damn. That dude might have gotten owned, but five bucks says that he got owned for being a badass."

And that's what really matters.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 famicommander

I'm gonna go with "badass" too.

Hell, even though that random Google Image kid looks sort of lme, I'll bet that he would've looked three times lamer if he wasn't wearing a fedora hat.

Of course, it helps that the pic is in black and white. THat evokes the sense of Weegee's crime photos. Remember that scene in Goodfellas where the lame kid gets shot in the foot? And then how later Joe Pesci is making fun of the kid because of how he's limping becausehe got shot in the foot, and then the kid tells Joe Pesci to go **** himself. So then Joe Pesci shoots the guy dead.

See, the kid in Goodfellas was sort of lame, but he had balls. He was lame, but he was also sort of a cool dude.

That's the same vibe I get from the random picture image. It looks like a picture of some dude who is totally lame, but was badass enough to **** with the wrong dude. And then Weegee would show up and take pictures of the kid with his brains smeared all over the street.

But here's the thing...when Weegee arrives on the scene, the kid's fedora hat is gonna be lying next to what used to be the kid's head. You now see one of Weegee's crime photographs in a book. And without any context, you just see a kid lying dead on the street with his head bloiwn off. But you also see the fedora hat lying next to his exploded head, and you think to yourself, "damn. That dude might have gotten owned, but five bucks says that he got owned for being a badass."

And that's what really matters.

MrGeezer
That is the best internet analysis I've ever read. I think I have to buy a fedora now. And maybe download Fedora Linux.
Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts

Indy's fedora is awesome. He made that particular fedora an icon around the world. Where Paul Bryant's is... WTF

Overall, not everyone should wear a fedora... It just doesn't look good on everyone (Indy = good, Bryant = no, just no..).

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 famicommander
Holy crap, I think the Fedora just took a hit. Michael Jackson wears one, and that really sucks.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

One must be a badass in the first place before donning the hat in question. Thus it is not a question of whether or not the hat itself is awesome or lame but the one who wears it.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 famicommander
[QUOTE="Scarface_tm431"]

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"]Lame on some, cool on very fewdreDREb13

I still don't know what QFT means... But fedoras can look good on some.

QFT=quoted for truth.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 famicommander
[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="dreDREb13"][QUOTE="Scarface_tm431"]

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"]Lame on some, cool on very fewdreDREb13

I still don't know what QFT means... But fedoras can look good on some.

QFT=quoted for truth.

Finally! I kept wondering if it was "quite ****ing true" or "quit ****ing talking". I was flabbergasted. :|

Internets are a mystery.
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts

Only as awesome as the person wearing it. Case in point: Some douche from A7X.

CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts
Awesome on some, lame on others. It all depends on who they are and what they do lol. They tend to look better to me if I keep seeing them wear it lol.
Bloodaxe726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bloodaxe726
Member since 2007 • 7903 Posts

Only as awesome as the person wearing it. Case in point: Some douche from A7X.

*Synyster Gates pi*

Buffalo_Soulja

That's Synyster Gates, he's a damn fine guitar player, not on par with say Adrian Smith or Kerry King, but he's pretty good.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 famicommander
Only as awesome as the person wearing it. Case in point: Some douche from A7X.  Buffalo_Soulja
I have never wanted to punch someone in the face more than I want to punch him in the face right now.
cool_baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cool_baller
Member since 2003 • 12493 Posts
Fedoras are pimp
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e408b026e3
deactivated-5e0e408b026e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 deactivated-5e0e408b026e3
Member since 2006 • 7099 Posts
I have been noticing more and more d-bags wearing theme as of late....some people can pull it off....but this one guy who came into my work....he is a known d-bag to me and it makes me sad as a fedora wearer to see him wear one :(
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19594 Posts

A fedora by itself can be lame, but combine it with a trenchcoat and... :shock::o!

(That's "pure awesomeness", in case my emoticons were a bit vague.)