Federal courts rule okay for schools to ban american flags

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/09/17/ninth-circuit-court-wont-reconsider-u-s-flag-shirt-ban-at-california-school/

Political correctness has gone too far

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Actually the current problem is the courts. Instead of interpreting laws they have taken to making them.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Actually the current problem is the courts. Instead of interpreting laws they have taken to making them.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

@Boddicker said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Bingo.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@mingmao3046 said:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/09/17/ninth-circuit-court-wont-reconsider-u-s-flag-shirt-ban-at-california-school/

If you ever fail in your main profession/Job you can always apply for a job as a spindoctor.

First its not banning american flags, the org. case was about a clear provocation by white students to come with t-shirts with the american flag painted on during a "Cinco de Mayo" celebration. And the court didn´t ban or even hear the case, what they voted on was if the case was something they should hear, and they voted no,

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

I don't see a problem with this; schools are allowed to make their own dress codes, especially if there's something causing a distraction, disturbance, or in this case the threat of violence.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mingmao3046

@Jacanuk said:

@mingmao3046 said:

If you ever fail in your main profession/Job you can always apply for a job as a spindoctor.

First its not banning american flags, the org. case was about a clear provocation by white students to come with t-shirts with the american flag painted on during a "Cinco de Mayo" celebration. And the court didn´t ban or even hear the case, what they voted on was if the case was something they should hear, and they voted no,

So you see nothing wrong at all with the school not allowing students to wear american flags, IN AMERICA? This makes zero sense. You should be allowed to wear an american flag on every single day of the year in a public school like this. Why couldnt they ban the Mexican flag instead if this was causing so many issues?

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mingmao3046

@Shadow4020 said:

I don't see a problem with this; schools are allowed to make their own dress codes, especially if there's something causing a distraction, disturbance, or in this case the threat of violence.

Wearing an american flag to a public school IN AMERICA should never be considered a "distraction" or "disturbance"

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jacanuk

@mingmao3046 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@mingmao3046 said:

So you see nothing wrong at all with the school not allowing students to wear american flags, IN AMERICA? This makes zero sense. You should be allowed to wear an american flag on every single day of the year in a public school like this. Why couldnt they ban the Mexican flag instead if this was causing so many issues?

I dont have a problem with a school making sure that some white privileged students dont get to ruin all the other students joy, just because it happens to be a Cinco de mayo celebration. What i do have a problem with and im glad the supreme court almost laughed this out of room, and thats these white students think they can use the american flag as a symbol for their racist ideas.

So the question is do you support these white racists idea that they can use the american flag as a symbol do destroy and ruin a whole scholls celebration and fun?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

they should ban them.

it is a violation of the flag code.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

what are you dudes?

hippys?

or... maybe ignorant?

who does not know the flag code prohibits the flag for apparel use?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I don't see the problem. There's plenty other restrictions that would get my attention before this one.To me "national pride" feels so useless, and America has it in spades...in Portugal we never had a flag in my schools, we pledged allegiance to nothing and we never recited the national anthem. I grew up just fine, having pride in people and friends, not in flags and countries.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i knew it was gonna be something to do with California before i even clicked the thread. its ridiculous that Cinco De Mayo is even celebrated in the United States

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@mingmao3046 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@mingmao3046 said:

It's called dress code.. Get over it.. I can't wear a big American flag at work, and most people here can't either, where is the out rage for that? And let's be honest here, you can wear it to school.. You will just be asked take it off or be sent home.. That is not a violation of the first amendment..

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

I like how the TC just pisses and moans about "political correctness" and ignores things like context. Like how the article he references talks about how the particular school in question has a bit of a problem with racial tensions. One can easily infer that the kids wearing American flag t-shirts were looking to start shit.

But I guess things like "details" don't actually matter.

You could send the ACLU a letter, though. I'm sure they'd be happy to take up this case. As it is, the court simply decided it wasn't worth their time.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I remember hearing about a flag clothing problem before, there was an issue with a student wearing it to be antagonistic toward other ethnic students. The kid was an unashamed racist. I really don't feel bad for him not getting to co-opt our sacred flag in such a perverted fashion.

Cinco de Mayo isn't even a big Mexican holiday, it's been inflated by Americans as an excuse to go out and drink, like Saint Patrick's day, and a way for us to celebrate our ethnic heritage and/or diversity. Lots of non-Irish people celebrate Saint Patrick's day, it's not an affront to the American identity. Same can be said about Cinco de Mayo

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

they should ban them.

what are you dudes?

hippys?

or... maybe ignorant?

The Flag Code is only an official suggestion for how the U.S. Flag should be handled. Unless you are in the military any violation of the Flag Code can't be legally used against you due to it being considered protected speech under the First Amendment.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

they should ban them.

what are you dudes?

hippys?

or... maybe ignorant?

The Flag Code is only an official suggestion for how the U.S. Flag should be handled. Unless you are in the military any violation of the Flag Code can't be legally used against you due to it being considered protected speech under the First Amendment.

the point is how the super patriots want to act all high and mighty about how the flag is so important but are in fact committing a faux pas by wearing the flag in the first place.

it is flat out nothing but comedy.

so they are not legally bound to follow the agreed upon respect for the flag as set out in the official u.s. flag code and can drape it across their greasy disgusting sweaty hides but then want to talk about the outrage of disrespecting the flag.

the whole thing cracks me up.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

@ad1x2 said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

they should ban them.

what are you dudes?

hippys?

or... maybe ignorant?

the point is how the super patriots want to act all high and mighty about how the flag is so important but are in fact committing a faux pas by wearing the flag in the first place.

it is flat out nothing but comedy.

so they are not legally bound to follow the agreed upon respect for the flag as set out in the official u.s. flag code and can drape it across their greasy disgusting sweaty hides but then want to talk about the outrage of disrespecting the flag.

the whole thing cracks me up.

When you state that they are disrespecting the flag because they are violating the Flag Code, consider ignorance versus design.

Ignorance is what you would apply to most of the patriots that wear shirts with complete flags on them because in their ignorance they are unaware that it violates the Flag Code. I've seen it in other ways too, such as people who hang flags at night without lights and who put a flag on the wall with the stars on the upper right corner instead of the upper left. Obviously they don't mean any disrespect with their actions.

Design is people who intentionally disrespect an American flag, such as people who stomp on it, refuse to stand and face it (if otherwise physically able to) during the National Anthem, or something similar. I know there is a picture of Bill Hicks lighting a cigarette with a flag, companies that sell US Flag toilet paper, and the WBC loves to trash both the US and Canadian flags with their shenanigans. As much as I'm not a fan of those actions, those actions are protected speech and the Supreme Court verified that.

With this whole situation, there are issues on all sides. The students who want to wear flag shirts are doing it more because they want to piss off Latino students than to show national pride. The Latino students who are threatening to beat up anybody wearing a flag shirt need to reevaluate their priorities and consider what country they are in. The officials banning the shirt took an extreme action versus simply threatening discipline against the ones who want to fight.

Going back to the flag code, the school banning the shirt due to it violating the Flag Code would not be an appropriate reason to ban it. There are plenty of other shirts students wear to school that aren't obscene but still questionable and possibly more offensive than a shirt on a flag.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jacanuk

@Flubbbs said:

i knew it was gonna be something to do with California before i even clicked the thread. its ridiculous that Cinco De Mayo is even celebrated in the United States

You are right, Americans should only celebrate MURICANNNN made events such as "st. patricks day, christmas, halloween, Thanksgiving" etc.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@Flubbbs said:

You are right, Americans should only celebrate MURICANNNN made events such as "st. patricks day, christmas, halloween, Thanksgiving" etc.

and most ridiculous of all............ Columbus Day

WTF.... Cristobal Colon never even came to what today is the US.

He spent his life going insane in the rest of the Americas, was the governor of Dominican Republic for a time but ended up getting kick out for being too brutal. He became a sad human being that the very government he worked for, Spain, refused to recognize anymore and deemed him a criminal. He wasnt even allowed to dock his ship in any Spanish port, which at the time was pretty much everywhere in latin America

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

wanna know something funny... Cinco de Mayo isnt even a Holiday in Mexico. Its a holiday only acknowledged in the US.

And its not even Mexico's independence either... its just about a battle Mexico had with France... lol

Mexican independence day is September 16th.