FCC Proposal Would End Net Neutrality as We Know It

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by angeldeb82 (1298 posts) -

Awful! I can't believe the FCC would betray us and end the Internet as we know it! We won't stand for this!

http://mashable.com/2014/04/23/fcc-proposal-net-neutrality/

#2 Posted by deeliman (3649 posts) -

As long as this doesn't affect internet users outside of the US I don't really care.

#3 Edited by Serraph105 (29968 posts) -

Yeah I'm giving Obama credit for this one, you don't make a former cable and cellular lobbiest the head of the FCC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Wheeler_%28FCC%29

#4 Edited by dave123321 (35129 posts) -

Maybe this will cause some good

#5 Edited by Master_Live (18060 posts) -

This is totally on Obama since he can instruct his guy to implement whatever policy he sees fit, so whatever it is happening falls on Obama.

#6 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

Thanks Obama.

#7 Posted by dave123321 (35129 posts) -

Why aren't you a mod master live

#8 Posted by Aljosa23 (27677 posts) -

@deeliman said:

As long as this doesn't affect internet users outside of the US I don't really care.

#9 Posted by dave123321 (35129 posts) -

Domino effects guys

#10 Edited by Master_Live (18060 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Why aren't you a mod master live

Frankly, because I can only say what I truly want (and how I want) outside of the Mod group. So it was better to unburden myself.

#11 Edited by osirisx3 (2113 posts) -

Thank you capitalism for buying democracy

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
#12 Posted by chessmaster1989 (30204 posts) -

But look on the bright side guys, now ISPs can make more money!

#13 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (8412 posts) -

Do our elected officials understand ANYTHING about how the internet operates?

#15 Posted by Serraph105 (29968 posts) -

@chessmaster1989 said:

and more money for rich people always means more jobs!

#16 Posted by R3FURBISHED (11302 posts) -

We need the people in power - who make these decisions - to realize that the internet is not a commodity, but something as essential to day to day life as electricity and gas.

Avatar image for DrKillByDeath84
#17 Edited by DrKillByDeath84 (357 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

We need the people in power - who make these decisions - to realize that the internet is not a commodity, but something as essential to day to day life as electricity and gas.

LOL no, the only thing essential to day to day life is water, food and shelter.

#18 Posted by Master_Live (18060 posts) -

@DrKillByDeath84 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

True, but that is the bare minimum. First world countries add more to the list of essentials as societies develop in sophistication.

#19 Posted by Treflis (12832 posts) -

@DrKillByDeath84 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

The United Nations ruled that Internet access is now a human right.

#20 Posted by dave123321 (35129 posts) -

The world is more than just physical survival

#21 Edited by MrGeezer (58346 posts) -

@chessmaster1989 said:

The problem is, bandwidth is freaking expensive and people are using more and more of it. So either net neutrality is gonna have to go out the window, or we're all gonna have to start paying a lot more for internet use. There's no way around it, that has to happen.

#22 Posted by Master_Live (18060 posts) -

@Treflis said:

@DrKillByDeath84 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Do you believe that Internet access is a human right?

Avatar image for DrKillByDeath84
#23 Posted by DrKillByDeath84 (357 posts) -

@Treflis said:

@DrKillByDeath84 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Good for them.

#24 Posted by Treflis (12832 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@Treflis said:

@DrKillByDeath84 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

It fits under the right that everybody has to gain knowledge, so yes.

However what I believe or not is irrelevant since the United nations has declared it as such and my nation is part of the UN and agreed to it.

If things I believed took pretense over the consensus of society or laws and agreed upon right of the Country I'm in, then homeless stealing food to survive wouldn't be a criminal offense.

#25 Posted by chessmaster1989 (30204 posts) -
@MrGeezer said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

The problem is, bandwidth is freaking expensive and people are using more and more of it. So either net neutrality is gonna have to go out the window, or we're all gonna have to start paying a lot more for internet use. There's no way around it, that has to happen.

I don't see it as likely that scrapping net neutrality would reduce costs. I'm interested in what your view on this is.

#26 Posted by Master_Live (18060 posts) -

@Treflis said:

@Master_Live said:

@Treflis said:

@DrKillByDeath84 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

However what I believe or not is irrelevant since the United nations has declared it as such and my nation is part of the UN and agreed to it.

If things I believed took pretense over the consensus of society or laws and agreed upon right of the Country I'm in, then homeless stealing food to survive wouldn't be a criminal offense.

Glad to know you think so little of your own opinion. I don't take my cues from the United Nations.

#27 Edited by MrGeezer (58346 posts) -

@chessmaster1989 said:
@MrGeezer said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I don't see it as likely that scrapping net neutrality would reduce costs. I'm interested in what your view on this is.

Uh, what?! You just said that it would allow the ISPs to make more money, so what are you confused about here?

Increased money offsets higher costs, and yes the costs absolutely do go up when everyone is using up more bandwidth. Which is exactly what's happening. Either net neutrality is gonna go away, unlimited plans are gonna go away and we all have to pay for every megabyte of usage regardless of where it came from, the ISPs are just gonna have to eat the costs, or it's gonna get government subsidized and our tax dollars are gonna go towards funding some neckbeard's Game of Thrones marathon. Out of those four options, the last two are NOT gonna happen

So, yeah...it sucks. But this is an unwinnable situation. However this turns out, we aren't gonna like the outcome.

#28 Edited by Treflis (12832 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@Treflis said:

@Master_Live said:

@Treflis said:

@DrKillByDeath84 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Glad to know you think so little of your own opinion. I don't take my cues from the United Nations.

An opinion is but mere an opinion unless shared by the majority to become a consensus.

#29 Edited by chessmaster1989 (30204 posts) -
@MrGeezer said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@MrGeezer said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

Uh, what?! You just said that it would allow the ISPs to make more money, so what are you confused about here?

Increased money offsets higher costs, and yes the costs absolutely do go up when everyone is using up more bandwidth. Which is exactly what's happening. Either net neutrality is gonna go away, unlimited plans are gonna go away and we all have to pay for every megabyte of usage regardless of where it came from, the ISPs are just gonna have to eat the costs, or it's gonna get government subsidized and our tax dollars are gonna go towards funding some neckbeard's Game of Thrones marathon. Out of those four options, the last two are NOT gonna happen

So, yeah...it sucks. But this is an unwinnable situation. However this turns out, we aren't gonna like the outcome.

ISPs making more money doesn't immediately imply increasing costs. My (not-very-well-thought-out) view ISPs would increase profits is more based in ISPs being largely locally monopsonic from the perspective of websites passing content through to users, and locally monopolistic from the perspective of the end users looking to access that content. This does give ISPs at least some ability to soak up consumer surplus as well as website profits. So it's conceivable that eliminating net neutrality could increase ISP profits without having much of a consumer pricing effect (but that starts to depend on the website/consumer market structure).

But you didn't address why net neutrality lowers costs (you just reiterated that it does) which is what I was curious to hear about.

#30 Edited by MrGeezer (58346 posts) -

@chessmaster1989 said:

ISPs making more money doesn't immediately imply increasing costs. My (not-very-well-thought-out) view ISPs would increase profits is more based in ISPs being largely locally monopsonic from the perspective of websites passing content through to users, and locally monopolistic from the perspective of the end users looking to access that content. This does give ISPs at least some ability to soak up consumer surplus as well as website profits. So it's conceivable that eliminating net neutrality could increase ISP profits without having much of a consumer pricing effect (but that starts to depend on the website/consumer market structure).

But you didn't address why net neutrality lowers costs (you just reiterated that it does) which is what I was curious to hear about.

You misunderstand. Costs are going up regardless because of increased usage. ISPs making more money simply allows them to offset those costs.