Favourite film this year that almost no one else liked?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

Everyone's seen Elysium, Gravity, Ender's Game, Captain Philips, Man of Steel, etc (yes, I know there will be that one person who hasn't, no need to point it out), but is there a film that you really, really enjoyed, and think could, or should, at least be nominated for Best Picture?

In my case it was Prisoners. I utterly adored the film. It was shocking and gruesome (people walked out when Jackman started torturing the slow guy..., ) but I thought it was brilliant. The acting height of Jackman's career to say the least, and for once, not a film that relies on special effects, action and a "handsome" protagonist to make it good. Either way, it was brilliant and I loved it.

What about you folks?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Museum Hours, though it isn' that people didn't like it...they just didn't see it.

DharmaMember77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By DharmaMember77
Member since 2010 • 2377 Posts

Hugh Jackman isn't handsome?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Don't think there was one

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

I 'liked' the two films mentioned thus far

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts

Are we talking about a film that didn't get a massive amount of attention(which may have been well revived critically) or one that didn't critically do well?

Because I can think of some if it's the former

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts

Prisoners lost its footing as it progressed. A shame

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShadowsDemon

@DavesAlt said:

Prisoners lost its footing as it progressed. A shame

Really? I thought it got better and better.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

On a critical level, Man of Steel might be the most critically underrated movie I have ever seen.

Wouldn't say it needs to be in the run for best picture or anything, but consider that it is at only a 55% on rottentomatoes while that PoS Superman Returns is a good 21% higher than it on rottentomatoes and something is very, very wrong there.

The movie much deserved to get at least into the 80%'s on rottentomatoes especially considering that the score just merely indicates that many percentage of critics simply held a positive view of the movie and not actually what score they gave it....

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL: That last bit makes no sense whatsoever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I liked The Counselor even if it's very flawed.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

I enjoyed Kick-Ass 2, and it didn't get very many positive reviews.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#13 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

I say ender game. I didny look at reviews before I seen it and glad I didn't... if I saw it had bad reviews before hand I most likely would never seen it. but I loved it.

kinda sad that they didnt even know if they make a second one due to reviews

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

I will say Man of Steel was completely underrated this year. So many mixed reviews, friends hating it/loving it. I couldn't ask for anything more out of a Superman movie, great acting, action, and atmosphere. I saw it twice and I thought it was worth the two ticket prices.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShadowsDemon

@k2theswiss:

@Aljosa23 said:

I liked The Counselor even if it's very flawed.

God, that movie was awful. Not surprised with Cormac Mccarthy doing the screenplay....

@k2theswiss said:

I say ender game. I didny look at reviews before I seen it and glad I didn't... if I saw it had bad reviews before hand I most likely would never seen it. but I loved it.

Part of the

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LostProphetFLCL

@destinhpark said:

I will say Man of Steel was completely underrated this year. So many mixed reviews, friends hating it/loving it. I couldn't ask for anything more out of a Superman movie, great acting, action, and atmosphere. I saw it twice and I thought it was worth the two ticket prices.

Yeah the movie was pretty damn awesome. Definitely in the upper tier of superhero movies. Really confused as to the hate it gets.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Prisoners was pretty good. For me two underrated movies are Place Beyond the Pines and Stoker. They both came out early in the year and I found them both to be quite good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@ShadowsDemon: Besides The Road, Cormac McCarthy is a great writer. Blood Meridian is a modern classic, man.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

On a critical level, Man of Steel might be the most critically underrated movie I have ever seen.

Wouldn't say it needs to be in the run for best picture or anything, but consider that it is at only a 55% on rottentomatoes while that PoS Superman Returns is a good 21% higher than it on rottentomatoes and something is very, very wrong there.

The movie much deserved to get at least into the 80%'s on rottentomatoes especially considering that the score just merely indicates that many percentage of critics simply held a positive view of the movie and not actually what score they gave it....

I think I actually preferred Superman Returns to Man of Steel. I just found Man of Steel to be pretty bland for the most part and I wasn't able to get super into it. Of course, I've only seen each film once, and not for a while, so I'm not too adamant.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ShadowsDemon

@k2theswiss said:

Part of the reason why EG got bad reviews was because of all the boycotters who slammed the film simply because of the author's opinion on gay marriage. I know people who loved the book but refused to see the film and support it simply because they disagreed with the author's (not director's, but the author of the novel) opinion. Quite amusing, really.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ShadowsDemon

@Aljosa23 said:

@ShadowsDemon: Besides The Road, Cormac McCarthy is a great writer. Blood Meridian is a modern classic, man.

I disagree completely. He has good plots, but the dialogue, stuffed with the most unrealistic dialogue and characters ever who dash on and on with philosophically ramblings and intelligent "conversations" that are meant to sound intelligent but are far from it.

Furthermore, his reasons for writing the way he does (i.e. without punctuation, apostrophes or quote marks) is utterly laughable. The guy thinks he's 'revolutionized' the literary world...and all the universities believe it and earnestly study it.

I respect him and his work, but I think he's overrated. VERY much so.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@Aljosa23 said:

^ No Country for Old Men and All the Pretty Horses were good as well

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShadowsDemon

@chessmaster1989 said:
@Aljosa23 said:

^ No Country for Old Men and All the Pretty Horses were good as well

I can't comment on Horses, but Old Men was boring, dull, drawn out, and had a terrible ending. Same goes for the film.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

'Instructions Not Included' by far is the best film of 2013 that almost no one else liked

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

The only real film I've seen this year, and enjoyed, was "Mood Indigo" I'm not sure it was a film no one liked... But whatever. But then again, I havent seen all that many movies in general. Probably the only other was Pacific Rim, and while I enjoyed it to an extent, it couldve been better without the story.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@ShadowsDemon said:

@Aljosa23 said:

I disagree completely. He has good plots, but the dialogue, stuffed with the most unrealistic dialogue and characters ever who dash on and on with philosophically ramblings and intelligent "conversations" that are meant to sound intelligent but are far from it.

Furthermore, his reasons for writing the way he does (i.e. without punctuation, apostrophes or quote marks) is utterly laughable. The guy thinks he's 'revolutionized' the literary world...and all the universities believe it and earnestly study it.

Overrated is such a dumb term. How exactly is Cormac McCarthy overrated? You said yourself that Universities study him and his novels remain as relevant as they always were. No Country For Old Men still works as an allegory for the United States' changing society and not many living authors stay relevant as long as he has. The only objective way to measure quality is by longevity and except maybe Thomas Pynchon he's the most influential and relevant American novelist of his era. I know people who prefer him to Faulkner but that is a little too out there for me. Just because you personally don't like him doesn't mean he's overrated. I also think it's cute how you believe you're smarter than those Universities that study lol come on, man.

His dialogue is fine and works within the context of his stories. McCarthy's characters and stories are representations of ideas; Blood Meridian is about war and how it encompasses us all, No Country For Old Men was about change and how we resist it, etc. and so on. You need to separate yourself from what your subjective belief of "realism" is and judge it for what it is. Just like you can suspend your disbelief for those Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff you like, you have to do it for other novels as well.

His stylistic choices are whatever, I'll agree with you on that. I don't particularly care for them either. McCarthy can think whatever he wants but you really shouldn't judge the man's work on his personal opinion. The most basic aspect of any sort of literary criticism is to separate the artist from his art and you seem really bias against him.

Edit: I'm not saying you should like him, I was just a little bothered by calling him overrated. When someone thinks something is overrated just because they don't personally like it is a little pet peeve of mine. There's plenty famous novelists I don't particularly like.

Avatar image for cynical_buzzard
Cynical_Buzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Cynical_Buzzard
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

Man of Steel, a lot of people did not like it but I love this movie.

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

the great gatsby

no one liked it but me and my gf when we saw it with friends. i bought my parents the blu ray for Christmas and they didn't really like it either. i thought the story was told good and the movie looked visually well.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@TacticalDesire said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I think I actually preferred Superman Returns to Man of Steel.

This.

Man of Steel: 6/10

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

I really enjoyed 'Now You See Me'. it could have lost all the CGI junk and made it more down to earth ,but I felt there was a really strong story that could have been told better. I still enjoyed it despite my issues with it.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#33 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@ShadowsDemon said:

@k2theswiss said:

Part of the reason why EG got bad reviews was because of all the boycotters who slammed the film simply because of the author's opinion on gay marriage. I know people who loved the book but refused to see the film and support it simply because they disagreed with the author's (not director's, but the author of the novel) opinion. Quite amusing, really.

wow, pathic... as long as your not saying burn and hang all the gays or w/e you should be good

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Apparently no one liked the new Hobbit movie. I adored it.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LostProphetFLCL

@PonchoTaco said:

Apparently no one liked the new Hobbit movie. I adored it.

I absolutely LOVED that movie and it might be my fav of 2013. Hard to pick between that and The Conjuring.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ShadowsDemon

@k2theswiss said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@k2theswiss said:

wow, pathic... as long as your not saying burn and hang all the gays or w/e you should be good

I'm not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic or not, but I guess I'll take it at face value?

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

I liked Man of Steel and Rush.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ShadowsDemon

@Aljosa23 said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Overrated is such a dumb term. How exactly is Cormac McCarthy overrated? You said yourself that Universities study him and his novels remain as relevant as they always were. No Country For Old Men still works as an allegory for the United States' changing society and not many living authors stay relevant as long as he has. The only objective way to measure quality is by longevity and except maybe Thomas Pynchon he's the most influential and relevant American novelist of his era. I know people who prefer him to Faulkner but that is a little too out there for me. Just because you personally don't like him doesn't mean he's overrated. I also think it's cute how you believe you're smarter than those Universities that study lol come on, man.

His dialogue is fine and works within the context of his stories. McCarthy's characters and stories are representations of ideas; Blood Meridian is about war and how it encompasses us all, No Country For Old Men was about change and how we resist it, etc. and so on. You need to separate yourself from what your subjective belief of "realism" is and judge it for what it is. Just like you can suspend your disbelief for those Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff you like, you have to do it for other novels as well.

His stylistic choices are whatever, I'll agree with you on that. I don't particularly care for them either. McCarthy can think whatever he wants but you really shouldn't judge the man's work on his personal opinion. The most basic aspect of any sort of literary criticism is to separate the artist from his art and you seem really bias against him.

Edit: I'm not saying you should like him, I was just a little bothered by calling him overrated. When someone thinks something is overrated just because they don't personally like it is a little pet peeve of mine. There's plenty famous novelists I don't particularly like.

It's not about the suspension of belief. It's about accurate dialogue. There's a massive difference between having fantastical worlds and "fantastical" dialogue. The way his characters speak remind me of the self-appointed armchair philosophers you see around who think they're the contemporary visionaries of today. If an author can create a sci-fi society that is believeable and functions in a well executed way, then that works out pretty good. But the dialogue of his characters is so unbelieveably rigid and un-realistic it's impossible to see them as anything but cardboard cutouts.

Hell, watch The Counselor, a movie McCarthy did the screenplay for. Everyone thinks they're the Plato of the urban west. You can see them physically struggling with their lines.

I measure by quality, not my own personal tastes. There are films (such as 2001: Space Odyssey) that I dislike, but it doesn't mean it's not a masterpiece. I dislike it, but it doesn't take away it's quality.

Quite frankly, if McCarthy wrote a military novel, all his characters would be spurting out the philosophies of war, life, death, violence, etc, while they're dodging bullets in the trenches. While other books would represent the realistic dialogue of war, and everyone would be swearing their heads off, grinding their teeth and running for their lives. Which is more beautiful? The former. But this isn't about "beauty". This is about good writing, realism and true "voices" of characters. Give me the latter any day.

If anyone likes McCarthy, that's more than fine. I think he's overrated, and that's it. It's just my opinion. Just because universities study him it doesn't make him a literary genius. Believe me, universities study a lot of things that are complete crap. I'm going through it now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@ShadowsDemon: OMG

I wrote a big post, hit post reply, and Gamespot left it blank. This is so upsetting.

short version: realism isn't everything and real people don't speak like they do in fiction anyway, a lot of McCarthy's stuff is stream of consciousness and not actually spoken, one style isn't inherently better because to me it depends on the books in question, and beautiful writing is good.

fvck you gamespot

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#41 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I enjoyed Man of Steel.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ShadowsDemon

@Aljosa23 said:

@ShadowsDemon: OMG

I wrote a big post, hit post reply, and Gamespot left it blank. This is so upsetting.

short version: realism isn't everything and real people don't speak like they do in fiction anyway, a lot of McCarthy's stuff is stream of consciousness and not actually spoken, one style isn't inherently better because to me it depends on the books in question, and beautiful writing is good.

fvck you gamespot

Haha, yeah, I know what that's like.

But seriously, in the books I read, people do speak the way they do in real life, not like ancient philosophers and wise prophets of the modern age.

Also, the entire point of stream of conscious and free-indirect discourse is to match dialogue with the narrative. For me, that's the best way to write a book, because it truly shows an insight into each character and who they are, not some stupid, omnipresent narrator.

I'll agree his language is beautiful, but his plots, characters and dialogue fall flat on their face. It's not just about abstract imagery. Not for me, anyway.

If people want to like McCarthy; great. Just don't tell me he's incredible at everything and everyone should be reading him, and that reading speculative fiction is a waste of time. I get enough of that from university. (Not that I listen to them, either)

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#43 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

My favorite movie I've seen all year is You're Next. Brilliant homage/ parody to old slasher movies, but fantastic on its own, too. Shame almost no one saw it (saw it opening night on my birthday and there were about ten people in the theater). Definitely getting it when it's released on DVD soon.