Famous Jett Jackson and Smallville Alum Lee Thompson Young Dies at 29

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ipumpmygun (442 posts) -

Famous Jett Jackson and Smallville Alum Lee Thompson Young Dies at 29

Actor found dead earlier today, possible suicide.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/19/famous-jett-jackson-smallville-alum-lee-thompson-young-dies-at-29

Lee Thompson Young, who played the lead in Disney Channel's The Famous Jett Jackson, has died at age 29.

Authorities believe that the cause of death was suicide. Young, who currently stars in TNT's Rizzoli & Isles, didn't show up to work this morning, according to TMZ. After staffers called to check up on him, Young's landlord reportedly discovered the body with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

lee thompson young

"Everyone at Rizzoli & Isles is devastated by the news of the passing of Lee Thompson Young," said Rizzoli & Isles EP Janet Tamaro in a statement on behalf of TNT and Warner Bros. "We are beyond heartbroken at the loss of this sweet, gentle, good-hearted, intelligent man. He was truly a member of our family. Lee will be cherished and remembered by all who knew and loved him, both on and offscreen, for his positive energy, infectious smile and soulful grace. We send our deepest condolences and thoughts to his family, to his friends and, most especially, to his beloved mother."

Born in South Carolina, Young landed the starring role in The Famous Jett Jackson in 1998. Following that, the actor went on to appear in numerous projects, includingSmallville (where he played DC Comics' Cyborg), the film version of Friday Night Lights, FlashForward and Scrubs.

#2 Posted by Commander-Gree (4929 posts) -
That's a shame, I remember watching Jett Jackson when I was a kid.
#3 Posted by ipumpmygun (442 posts) -

He was such a talented young actor too. He was great on Smallville.

#4 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

I'm not familiar with him but that's extremely sad to hear.

#5 Posted by wolverine4262 (20070 posts) -
Jett Jackson wasnt too bad. He was great in Smallville too. Very sad
#6 Posted by Jehuty08 (1951 posts) -

sad news

#7 Posted by ipumpmygun (442 posts) -
Jett Jackson wasnt too bad. He was great in Smallville too. Very sadwolverine4262
Some people unfortunately can NOT handle the pressure, but it may have not had anything to do with being an actor.
#8 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28244 posts) -
I remember Famous Jett Jackson really sucking. RIP
#9 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152141 posts) -
Shame. RIP and all....
#10 Posted by lowkey254 (5904 posts) -

That sucks... I hope his family is able to handle the grief.

#11 Posted by Trail_Mix (2579 posts) -

Wow, so many deaths this year. What's going on?

#12 Posted by soulless4now (41381 posts) -

A piece of my childhood died today. R.I.P. to LTY. :cry: 

#13 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
WTF is it and suicide. I swear everyday there is a new thread about a new suicide. WTF is wrong with people today?
#14 Posted by lowkey254 (5904 posts) -

Legitimate question: Why do people say RIP to people who commit suicide? They gave up on life, they chose to end it all. I don't mean to sound bitter or come off as a troll. I really want to know.

#15 Posted by GreySeal9 (24948 posts) -

Legitimate question: Why do people say RIP to people who commit suicide? They gave up on life, they chose to end it all. I don't mean to sound bitter or come off as a troll. I really want to know.

lowkey254

People who take the drastic step of suicide are obviously suffering and/or are mentally unstable. Why wouldn't one want somebody who suffered in life to rest in peace?

#16 Posted by GreySeal9 (24948 posts) -

WTF is it and suicide. I swear everyday there is a new thread about a new suicide. WTF is wrong with people today?AmazonTreeBoa

You do realize that people have always comitted suicide, right?

#17 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]WTF is it and suicide. I swear everyday there is a new thread about a new suicide. WTF is wrong with people today?GreySeal9

Yes, but you don't hear about it left and right like we have been the last few years. Seems like a huge increase in the number of suicides these days.
#18 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -
That is sad :( From what I watched he was a good actor with a sense of sincerity. It is seriously depressing that despair would push someone to do such a thing.
#19 Posted by lowkey254 (5904 posts) -
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"]

People who take the drastic step of suicide are obviously suffering and/or are mentally unstable. Why wouldn't one want somebody who suffered in life to rest in peace?

But they're a murderer... to themselves, yes, but the point remains. You wouldn't tell a murderer of someone else to RIP (unless it's an 80s / early 90s action flick)
#20 Posted by GreySeal9 (24948 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]WTF is it and suicide. I swear everyday there is a new thread about a new suicide. WTF is wrong with people today?AmazonTreeBoa

Yes, but you don't hear about it left and right like we have been the last few years. Seems like a huge increase in the number of suicides these days.

It probably has to do with the way media has changed over time.

#21 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -
[QUOTE="lowkey254"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"]

But they're a murderer... to themselves, yes, but the point remains. You wouldn't tell a murderer of someone else to RIP (unless it's an 80s / early 90s action flick)

lol I never understood the whole argument for why suicide is illegal and why it should be. You should be allowed to take your own life if you want.
#22 Posted by GreySeal9 (24948 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"]

lowkey254

Are you trying to be the new Nibroc or something? Is that the reason for this nonsense?

Suicide/=/murder.

#23 Posted by lowkey254 (5904 posts) -
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Are you trying to be the new Nibroc or something? Is that the reason for this nonsense?

Suicide/=/murder.

Sir, I don't know who Nibroc is, but suicide is the murder of self.
#24 Posted by GreySeal9 (24948 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"] But they're a murderer... to themselves, yes, but the point remains. You wouldn't tell a murderer of someone else to RIP (unless it's an 80s / early 90s action flick)lowkey254

Suicide/=/murder.

It's a shame that I have to do this, but let's break out definitions:

From the free online dictionary:

1. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

From Google's online dictionary:

2. The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

From Oxford dictionary:

3. the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

From Dictionary.com:

4. Law. the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law.

There's no such thing as "murder of self".

Can we stop being ridiculous now?

#25 Posted by lowkey254 (5904 posts) -
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Suicide/=/murder.

It's a shame that I have to do this, but let's break out definitions:

From the free online dictionary:

1. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

From Google's online dictionary:

2. The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

From Oxford dictionary:

3. the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

From Dictionary.com:

4. Law. the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law.

There's no such thing as "murder of self".

Can we stop being ridiculous now?

You're right, suicide isn't against the law. That's the difference. Either way, I still don't see the point of saying RIP to a suicide(r).
#26 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
This one is sadder than most since we never heard anything bad from him or him getting in trouble. He was a B list star at best, but he was still young and could easily worked his way up like Jamie Foxx did. With the other recent celeb deaths it they usually involved drugs and or going through a terrible time. Technically it's none of our business to know why he did, but it would be interesting to learn the cause for such a drastic and unexpected move.
#27 Posted by toast_burner (22425 posts) -

lowkey254

Obviously they were suffering in life. Hopefully now their suffering is at an end.

#28 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
shocking he seems like such a nice person. its a shame he felt the need to take his own life, seems like he had so much going for him, maybe it was all about to end? i don't know.
#29 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

He was the most facially aesthetic Black dude on Earth. He must have been swimming in poon. What a loss. Shame he won't be able to pass his genes on.

#30 Posted by pariah3 (963 posts) -

You're right, suicide isn't against the law. That's the difference. Either way, I still don't see the point of saying RIP to a suicide(r).lowkey254

But they don't know for sure if it was a suicide. My guess is that he died of social neglect and abondonment or maybe he even starved to death. I mean who really knows how and why he died.

I think that he was more likely starved to the death or maybe indirectly murdered somehow or maybe he was or felt abandoned in some way.

#31 Posted by The_Power_of_X (547 posts) -

WTF is it and suicide. I swear everyday there is a new thread about a new suicide. WTF is wrong with people today?AmazonTreeBoa
No backbone. 

#32 Posted by RadecSupreme (4721 posts) -

Sad to hear. I don't mean to sound so cynical, but does he have a history of depression or some disorder. If not, it could be that he might have gotten himself involved in something and might be a homicide? Just seems very odd.

#33 Posted by sukraj (23680 posts) -

RIP

#34 Posted by TopStarRacer (5732 posts) -

I only know of him from Flash Forward. It's a shame he's left us that early in his life. RIP.