Expired cheese... is it safe?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Xeros606 (11126 posts) -
i ate a fried salami sandwich a few hours ago. i wanted to put some cheese in it, but the only cheese in my fridge was month-expired mozzerella. now i have a stomach ache. will i be okay? has anyone else eaten expired cheese? the package for the cheese was never opened btw.
#2 Posted by Rekunta (8275 posts) -

i ate a fried salami sandwich a few hours ago. i wanted to put some cheese in it, but the only cheese in my fridge was month-expired mozzerella. now i have a stomach ache. will i be okay? has anyone else eaten expired cheese?Xeros606

It's made of dairy, so yea stay away from it if it's expired long after the due date. You're probably OK if it's only one month past expiration; I believe that's the date that the supermarket has to pull it off the shelf by.

#3 Posted by lucas_kelly (5783 posts) -
A month old? I wouldn't be surprised if you died.
#4 Posted by tarunramesh (1188 posts) -

A month old? I wouldn't be surprised if you died.lucas_kelly

i loled for some reason, but seriosly i dont think you would die but id imagine u getting very sick. Seriously though you can get much stupider than eating a dairy product which expired over a month ago even if it is still sealed

#5 Posted by strayzilla (560 posts) -
If it's sealed and there's no visable green mold, it's safe.
#6 Posted by aaaaarrrrggggg (13979 posts) -

If it's sealed and there's no visable green mold, it's safe.strayzilla

This is correct. Unlike other products, cheese is still edible after removing a moldy section. As long as there is no mold, od cheese is fine.

#7 Posted by linklb4130 (1737 posts) -
i advise not eating ANYTHING expired. Theirs a reason they go through the trouble of telling you the expiration date. just find something else to eat.
#8 Posted by strayzilla (560 posts) -
Well I wouldn't go that far. Expiration dates are just guidelines in general. More to keep people who wouldn't have any clue on something turning from getting sick. Kinda like when they put warnings on aspirin. If they didn't put "don't take more than 10 a day" people would take 30. You can still drink milk after the expiration as long as it hasn't soured. Cheese is easy to tell. Green Mold = bad. Look at something like blue cheese... It's a controlled mold before its sealed up. Or like good meat from a steakhouse. The meat is usually given a slow controlled rot. So it breaks the meat down and makes it more tender and more flavorful. Most good places rot the meat for at least 28 days, and some as long as 3 months.
#9 Posted by cametall (7692 posts) -
Prepare to poop like a goose.
#10 Posted by ferrari2001 (16639 posts) -
Technically it will mold which is what they do to make cheese in the first place if you scrape of the mold from the outside the inside cheese should still be good.
#11 Posted by elblanquito_81 (4356 posts) -
You're just going to have explosive diarrhea for the next couple of days. Not a big deal.
#12 Posted by UTXII (3448 posts) -

[QUOTE="strayzilla"]If it's sealed and there's no visable green mold, it's safe.aaaaarrrrggggg

This is correct. Unlike other products, cheese is still edible after removing a moldy section. As long as there is no mold, od cheese is fine.

Hm, isn't this because cheese is mold?

#13 Posted by DigitalExile (16049 posts) -
The French do it all the time, only they call it "matured" and sell it for outrageous prices. >_>
#14 Posted by cheetfreak (1986 posts) -

Cheese gets better with age:D

Not really sure if its true buy i figure it will help ease your worries. lol but no i want some salami and cheese:( one of my favorite things to eat:D

#15 Posted by Robertoey (1996 posts) -

[QUOTE="strayzilla"]If it's sealed and there's no visable green mold, it's safe.aaaaarrrrggggg

This is somewhat dependant on the type of cheese. With very hard cheeses, you can cut off the mold and the cheese is perfectly fine to eat. With softer cheeses, the mold can penetrate through the surface of the cheese.

#16 Posted by strayzilla (560 posts) -
The long and short of it is mold isn't the end of the world on certain foods. Back before solid refrigeration was around, meats were smoked to make them last for long periods of time. Smoked bacon would just be left hanging in the rafters somewhere, and when someone wanted to eat it a month or 2 down the road, they'd just soak it in vinegar to kill the mold and scrape it off. Smoked bacon as good as new.... almost.
#17 Posted by lolwaffles (556 posts) -
woah, i myself wouldnt eat anything expired D: cuz once, i was in a hurry, so i made a ton of choco milk (going on a trip, and the road was like 1 1/2 days, and all i could eat was that) so i drank it all just to realize it was god damn sour, so i puked a lot... i didnt get sick though, i just puked right after the friggin taste D:
#18 Posted by freshgman (12241 posts) -
your gonna feel it soon
#19 Posted by MrGeezer (55909 posts) -

i advise not eating ANYTHING expired. Theirs a reason they go through the trouble of telling you the expiration date. just find something else to eat.linklb4130

pfft..The dates listed on the package are the SELL-BY date, NOT the expiration date.

They can't know when food will expire. THere are too many variables. In some cases, food will expire BEFORE the sell-by date. But most often, food is safe to eat well AFTER the sell-by date, it's just that it can't be sold at that point. It's a means to ensure that their asses are covered if anyone gets sick. They err on the side of caution, because there's no way to determine a real 24 hour window in which the food goes from being safe to unsafe.

#20 Posted by IthaCrazy (1 posts) -
Dude I ate 10 MONTH old cheddar cheese...That was like at 6pm today...man...my stomach hurts,I have bad gas >_>...I hope I can stay home from school...
#21 Posted by Theokhoth (36799 posts) -

Old cheese tastes good as long as there's no mold. What do you think blue cheese is?

#22 Posted by Colin1192 (6221 posts) -

Dude I ate 10 MONTH old cheddar cheese...That was like at 6pm today...man...my stomach hurts,I have bad gas >_>...I hope I can stay home from school...IthaCrazy

First post and you bump a year old topic

Good Job