Ever Seen Stars falling from sky ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by avtria100 (45 posts) -

Sometimes stars are thrown below from sky. why is that so ?

#2 Edited by Praisedasun (444 posts) -

Yes,around 8 years ago.I barely see stars where I live though,city lights are too bright.

(Technically,"falling stars" are meteor shards,but I hope you know that).

#3 Posted by themajormayor (25649 posts) -

Yes last year

#4 Posted by worlock77 (22533 posts) -

Sometimes stars are thrown below from sky. why is that so ?

This will tell you all you need to know. And yeah, I've seen a few. Most recently around three weeks ago.

#5 Posted by MrGeezer (55942 posts) -

Just out of curiosity, what happens if a meteorite lands on my front porch? Am I allowed to keep it, or is there some kind of rule against that?

#6 Posted by worlock77 (22533 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

Just out of curiosity, what happens if a meteorite lands on my front porch? Am I allowed to keep it, or is there some kind of rule against that?

I'm pretty sure it's yours to do with as you see fit. As far as I'm aware there's no particular rules or regulations in place.

#7 Posted by British_Azimio (2450 posts) -

Falling, pulsating, changing size, etc.

#8 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

Like a shooting star? I see them all the time. Gaza's night sky is clear majority of time and the fact that power goes off rather frequently over a large area of the city helps a lot too. I spend a lot of time on my house's roof at night.

#9 Posted by johnd13 (7805 posts) -

Yes, about a couple of years ago.

#10 Posted by sukraj (21641 posts) -

ive seen shooting stars.

#11 Posted by foxhound_fox (86957 posts) -

No I haven't, since it's impossible.

#12 Posted by Planeforger (15405 posts) -

No I haven't, since it's impossible.

Well, I suppose if the Earth fell out of its orbit and tumbled into the sun, it would appear from our perspective as if a star was falling from the sky. And then we'd all die horribly.

#13 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Shooting stars? Yeah I've seen hundreds. There was one night where there it was so clear out that I was seeing one every second or two on average.

#14 Edited by British_Azimio (2450 posts) -

@cain006 said:

Shooting stars? Yeah I've seen hundreds. There was one night where there it was so clear out that I was seeing one every second or two on average.

Dec 20 '10..."Space Adventure" combined with the lunar eclipse...no words for that type of sight.

#15 Posted by megagene (22975 posts) -

Yeah, I sometimes see shooting stars when I go to my friend's cottage out in the country.

#16 Edited by LexLas (4163 posts) -

I"ve seen the stars dance, and do patterns. and no i'm not crazy, and i was not drunk or getting high. Me and my friend Apollo saw this from the roof of our house. It was insane. I guess they thought we could not see them since the city lights were so bright, but we did see. Wish i had a cell camera then, we had no camera. We were even scared to ask each other, thought one would be nuts, but he asked me if i could see what he saw, and we both knew.

#17 Edited by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

No, and If I did, I would immediately dial Zaphod Beeblebrox.

#18 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

If you own the property then you should be able to claim it as your own. I think the government now actually sells permits to meteorite hunters that want to search for them on public lands. You may even need the mineral rights on a piece of land to legally claim it, but i think just owning the property should be enough. It's pretty rare to actually find a real piece though.

#19 Posted by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

@Kurushio said:

@MrGeezer said:

If you own the property then you should be able to claim it as your own. I think the government now actually sells permits to meteorite hunters that want to search for them on public lands. You may even need the mineral rights on a piece of land to legally claim it, but i think just owning the property should be enough. It's pretty rare to actually find a real piece though.

Actually all you need is a very expensive and sensitive metal detector and you can usually find a meteor fragment in a day or two. Remember, a billion years ago the earth was pounded non stop by meteors. They are buried almost everywhere in the world, you just gotta know where to look.

#20 Posted by BranKetra (47520 posts) -

No.

#21 Posted by lamprey263 (22453 posts) -

yes, especially in dark rural areas where the stars really shine you can see shooting stars all the time

once though I saw a slow burning meteor falling from the sky, at first I thought someone shot up a flare but it was a meteor, burned a green color

#22 Edited by TAMKFan (32705 posts) -

I haven't, since I don't really look for them.