Ever second guess choosing your major?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7805 posts) -

BS in Plant Biology and MS in Plant Pathology and Agro Ecology.

I was lucky to find a job in my field near where I live. I don't regret any of it, if however I had to change it to anything I would want to do something heavily physics related.

#52 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

I switched my major to criminal justice. I know I want to get into criminal defense as a lawyer. I also know I would like to work for the police if I couldnt be a lawyer.

coolbeans90

I took a criminal justice class last quarter, we had to go on a trip and the police officers said that getting a criminal justice degree wasn't necessarily the best degree to get if you wanted to be a police officer. In fact he said a bunch of people get it and there's so many that sometimes they look for people with different degrees.

I

LOVE

I MEAN THAT I FVCKING LOVE

SPACECHEM

Ha yeah, by far my favorite puzzle game. Love the challenge of just beating some of the levels too.

#53 Posted by NoSpeakyEnglish (677 posts) -

Yes.

Reason: Partial Differential Equations.

#54 Posted by WSGRandomPerson (13693 posts) -
Not (yet).
#55 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Yes.

NoSpeakyEnglish

I took ordinary differential equations this spring, and I was struggling with some of it pretty badly. I can't imagine what partial diff eq would be like.

#56 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -

coolbeans90
no i didn't take my FE during my undergrad, at my college i literally had my plate full academically, and i was told it was optional. a lot of my peers who are working as engineers didn't do the FE exam either. I've been stuck sending out applications, had a few interviews, but i've had no luck getting work. i do not have a lot of professional experience and that seems to be all people really want.

i might have a job doing some engineering temp work. but i am now looking at doing FE exam and CSP testing as well as a few other OSHA related license exams in order to further stand out from my peers. it's a bit discouraging to have two degrees, and a few certificates, as well as a summer internship and you CANNOT find a job in your field. not asking for a boatload of money, don't have this hubris of entitlement of job or certain pay in the beginning. but it is still discouraging.

#57 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -
There was a point where I wanted to switch to law but then I realised that a degree in Computer Science could also get me into law enforcement as well. I am also contemplating double majoring in Electrical Engineering to compliment my cs degree.
#58 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

There was a point where I wanted to switch to law but then I realised that a degree in Computer Science could also get me into law enforcement as well. I am also contemplating double majoring in Electrical Engineering to compliment my cs degree.Rockman999
That would be incredibly difficult (I'm talking like 22+ credit hours a semester) and it's generally not worth it to get two undergraduate degrees.

#59 Posted by VGobbsesser (15614 posts) -

I'm currently a music major, and haven't second-guessed it since starting school. Life has honestly been going really well since I decided to actively pursue music.

#60 Posted by Suzy_Q_Kazoo (9901 posts) -

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I really do like my major, but I also consider it to be a "jack of all trades, master of none" sort of thing. It's just an undergrad though, and I plan on going to grad school anyways (not necessarily within the same field). It's a good foundation for several different majors I might consider transitioning towards.

I think a lot of people look down on it, but tbh, I think it's just really misunderstood. At the same time that's not what I care about anyways.

#61 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I really do like my major, but I also consider it to be a "jack of all trades, master of none" sort of thing. It's just an undergrad though, and I plan on going to grad school anyways (not necessarily within the same field). It's a good foundation for several different majors I might consider transitioning towards.

I think a lot of people look down on it, but tbh, I think it's just really misunderstood. At the same time that's not what I care about anyways.

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

What's your degree?

#62 Posted by Suzy_Q_Kazoo (9901 posts) -

[QUOTE="Suzy_Q_Kazoo"]

cain006

What's your degree?

BS in Environmental Science

#63 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9807 posts) -
I want to be a camera man, but I really dont want to go through the journalism/photo journalism requirements. I hate that stuff, I suck at it.
#64 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

[QUOTE="NoSpeakyEnglish"]

Yes.

cain006

I took ordinary differential equations this spring, and I was struggling with some of it pretty badly. I can't imagine what partial diff eq would be like.

I took PDEs last year, regular Diff Eqs was easier. It was tough, but definitely not as much as some other classes I took. Now vector calculus, on the other hand, that class was awful...

#65 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4135 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rockman999"]There was a point where I wanted to switch to law but then I realised that a degree in Computer Science could also get me into law enforcement as well. I am also contemplating double majoring in Electrical Engineering to compliment my cs degree.cain006

That would be incredibly difficult (I'm talking like 22+ credit hours a semester) and it's generally not worth it to get two undergraduate degrees.

Well it depends on the 2 degrees.

#66 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="Suzy_Q_Kazoo"]

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

What's your degree?

BS in Environmental Science

That sounds cool. I was thinking about doing Environmental engineering, but I'd rather be doing stuff with circuits and typing out code so I did electrical engineering.

#67 Posted by Suzy_Q_Kazoo (9901 posts) -
That sounds cool. I was thinking about doing Environmental engineering, but I'd rather be doing stuff with circuits and typing out code so I did electrical engineering.cain006
Yes, I was considering that for grad school (EnvE) I dig the interdisciplinary nature of it.
#68 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I took PDEs last year, regular Diff Eqs was easier. It was tough, but definitely not as much as some other classes I took. Now vector calculus, on the other hand, that class was awful...

bowserjr123

That's like multivariable calculus right? triple integrals and gradients and whatnot? Yeah I didn't like that class, but I hated Calc 3. The one with all the summations, I just hated having to remember all the different tests.

Toxic-Seahorse

Eh I can't really think of a reason to get two bachelor degrees. Might as well just work on one and then get your masters. For instance, some people in my class were talking about doing both electrical and computer engineering, but the advisors recommended against it because the employers wouldn't really care much if you had both.

#69 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

[QUOTE="bowserjr123"]

cain006

That's like multivariable calculus right? triple integrals and gradients and whatnot? Yeah I didn't like that class, but I hated Calc 3. The one with all the summations, I just hated having to remember all the different tests.

Toxic-Seahorse

Eh I can't really think of a reason to get two bachelor degrees. Might as well just work on one and then get your masters. For instance, some people in my class were talking about doing both electrical and computer engineering, but the advisors recommended against it because the employers wouldn't really care much if you had both.

No, triple integrals and gradients were calc 3 material, which wasn't that hard. The class I'm talking about is actually a separate course from calc 3, vector and complex calculus. It's pretty much calc 3 on steriods. The professor I had didn't give us a textbook and gave us problems to do for every class with no solutions and the whole grade was based on exams which were hard as hell.

#70 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

No, triple integrals and gradients were calc 3 material, which wasn't that hard. The class I'm talking about is actually a separate course from calc 3, vector and complex calculus. It's pretty much calc 3 on steriods. The professor I had didn't give us a textbook and gave us problems to do for every class with no solutions and the whole grade was based on exams which were hard as hell.

bowserjr123

Ah okay. I figured it would be harder because I noticed all the people who were really good at math in my class weren't really struglling much. I'm guessing your major is math? I couldn't do that considering I found ODE so difficult.

#71 Posted by Blood-Scribe (6465 posts) -
Went straight to summer classes at CC after graduating from high school. Originally majored in Game Art and wanted to be a game designer specializing in 3D modeling. Then I started to have doubts and eventually transferred to UT Austin as a Physics major. I intended to later do an internal transfer to Electrical Engineering, but wasn't able to get in. Now I'm strongly considering sticking with Physics, and I've considered double-majoring in Math as well because a Physics degree puts me pretty close to a Math degree. If money and time weren't an issue, I'd probably go for a Philosophy degree as well.
#72 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

[QUOTE="bowserjr123"]

cain006

Ah okay. I figured it would be harder because I noticed all the people who were really good at math in my class weren't really struglling much. I'm guessing your major is math? I couldn't do that considering I found ODE so difficult.

Yeah I'm an applied math, engineering and physics (AMEP) major :P

#73 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="bowserjr123"]

bowserjr123

Cool. I've been thinking about getting a minor in math considering I'm 6 hours away from it just because of the EE curriculum. But the only classes that seem useful to me are 600 level courses and that seems intimidating considering I was struggling with with differential equations, which is only 273.

#74 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

[QUOTE="bowserjr123"]

[QUOTE="cain006"]Ah okay. I figured it would be harder because I noticed all the people who were really good at math in my class weren't really struglling much. I'm guessing your major is math? I couldn't do that considering I found ODE so difficult.

cain006

Cool. I've been thinking about getting a minor in math considering I'm 6 hours away from it just because of the EE curriculum. But the only classes that seem useful to me are 600 level courses and that seems intimidating considering I was struggling with with differential equations, which is only 273.

I'd say go for it, 6 hours really isn't that much and will be worth it in the long run.

#75 Posted by MrMr-x2 (88 posts) -
Yes, poopology didn't work out as i thought it would
#76 Posted by TwistedShade (3165 posts) -

Damn all these Engineers, and MathMajors, amaze me i tried liking math but Geometry is just ridiculous.:shock:

#77 Posted by NoSpeakyEnglish (677 posts) -

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="NoSpeakyEnglish"]

Yes.

bowserjr123

Honestly even though PDEs is a bit challenging, I find that class so interesting. The theory behind it all is nothing short of genius.
#78 Posted by htekemerald (7325 posts) -

Yes, but then it allowed me to hop off to a professional degree with much better employment prospects.

#79 Posted by ChiefvsGordon (1085 posts) -

before i did but now i am happy with the major i am in. before i went into college i wanted to major in engineering, but than i realized that I hate math. so than i started getting into business, but quickly realized how inflated the business degrees are. meaning you are just another clone of a billion other people with business degrees. it wasnt until i took a class where we studied every major, it was for students who are undeclared but i decided to take it anyways. i found the health science degree. pays well, fun, pretty easy, and it is really flexible as far as job opportunities in the health profession. but yes, i think everyone goes through that phase.

#80 Posted by Gen007 (10955 posts) -

nope not really im a computer science major and have never really thought twice about it. I have always been an uber tech nerd so it fit like a glove + its totally viable for getting a well paying job so yeah win win.

#81 Posted by cejay0813 (620 posts) -

I'm going through that right now. I know I want get a degree in the business field nut not sure for what. First it was general administration but realized it was like the business degree you go for if you don;t know what you want to get into kind of like social sciences. Second choice, is Management Information Systems but I'm slowly losing interest in computers and really only know the basics about computers.

pero2008

Yup and apparently it's pretty normal. Some people put 3 years of college behind them before they figure out what they want to do. The thing you may also want to consider with any business degree, is internship.

#82 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16327 posts) -

I did. I had Mechanical Engineering as my major initially and was actually majoring in it as a junior when I shifted gears and decided I wanted Meteorology (or anything Earth Science) instead.

#83 Posted by UltimoIce (3068 posts) -

Kind of. Like, I have a great primary degree (4 degrees, actually), and I am pretty successful. But I always wonder what I could have done if I had continued a mathematics degree and gotten my doctorate. I like money, so I became an entrepreneur. But once I have enough money to live on the rest of my life, I definitely consider going back to become a math professor or something. I like teaching. Not sure why.