Ever noticed you look different in a picture and a mirror?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggerdjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 biggerdjam
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

When i look in the mirror, i see a good looking guy, but then i take a picture of myself or im in a picture, i look different(to me ugly).

I don't know what to believe, the mirror or camera, on who and what i actually look like...

And do other people see my flaws in person or is it just me? Becuase when i look into the mirror, my hairline is straight, my eyes are even etc, but when i take a picture or im in a photo, my hairline if a little uneven and my left eye is a little lower than my right, and my head is a little bigger.

What is your take on this?

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
Neither are 100% accurate, but trust photos more than mirrors. When you're looking in a mirror, you can move around and catch the light just so and squint until you think you look pretty great (i.e. you can delude yourself to a large degree and see what you want to see). But candid photos are static, unchanging, unforgiving images of the harsh reality of how much of a neckbeard you really are.
Mink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mink
Member since 2005 • 1794 Posts
Just shave the beard.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
I think lighting has a lot to do with it. I also think your own flaws are far more apparent to you than they are to others.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I like mirrors because I can see all the dimensions of my muscles - can't do that on photos.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

we heard this interesting theory type thing in one of my classes in high school.

that we never really get to see our true self. as with a mirror it reflects, and our eyes dont process it the same way. pictures are the closest we can get to actually seeing what we look like. something to do with the camera lens reversing the image, or counter-acting the way our eyes reverse an image. something to do with right and left eye, and how our brain actually flips images and stuff.

or something like that. wish i had an article/knew how to explain it better

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Your brain artificially inflates the attractiveness of your mirror image, but photos make you look significantly heavier.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

That's because most people's faces aren't symmetrical. You're so used to seeing yourself in mirrors that you have become accustomed to the dissymmetry, which you immediately notice when you see a mirror image of what you see in the mirror. You see yourself as that guy in the mirror, everyone else sees you as that guy in the picture. Google someone's face in frontal view and flip the image horizontally in PS. Unless they have a pretty symmetrical face it will look slightly lopsided to us. It's why some artists constantly flip their pictures when drawing, even going as far as to draw upside down, so as to get a fresh perspective on things, because once you look at something for long enough in a certain view you don't notice these asymmetrical "flaws". If you've ever drawn something, thought it was good, and then come back to it in a few weeks with fresh eyes, chances are you will immediately notice some glaring mistakes.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

Its almost like hearing your voice on a recording. Sometimes you like it, sometimes you don't. Although with images it reflects a micro moment in time. At all times we display subtle cues and the camera can be kind or a bitch.

The mirror lighting, mental state, and how much  you have had to drink are big factors. 

The picture, lighting, and the micro moments tend to come into play. 

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Lots of people suck at adjusting focal points on cameras too which can cause just quick shots to look pretty bad. A lot of the beautiful people you see are shot by professionals rather than your half drunk friends or yourself trying to hold the camera steady 2 feet from your face.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Take a picture of the mirror with yourself in it.

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
im sexy in both, no worries
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts
im sexy in both, no worriesbobcheeseball
...and ...you live down the hall from me.....come on over...its time for a midnight snack.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
I look the same in both. The only difference is that everything is reversed in the mirror.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

That's because most people's faces aren't symmetrical. You're so used to seeing yourself in mirrors that you have become accustomed to the dissymmetry, which you immediately notice when you see a mirror image of what you see in the mirror. You see yourself as that guy in the mirror, everyone else sees you as that guy in the picture. Google someone's face in frontal view and flip the image horizontally in PS. Unless they have a pretty symmetrical face it will look slightly lopsided to us. It's why some artists constantly flip their pictures when drawing, even going as far as to draw upside down, so as to get a fresh perspective on things, because once you look at something for long enough in a certain view you don't notice these asymmetrical "flaws". If you've ever drawn something, thought it was good, and then come back to it in a few weeks with fresh eyes, chances are you will immediately notice some glaring mistakes.

Brutal_Elitegs

Pretty much this.  I see asymmetry when I look at myself in a picture and it looks weird.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

I also think your own flaws are far more apparent to you than they are to others.      dougxqmy
Soooo...you like emoticons huh?

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

[QUOTE="dougxqmy"]I also think your own flaws are far more apparent to you than they are to others.      junglist101

Soooo...you like emoticons huh?

You're talking to a spam bot. :P
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Well pictures are static, thei can show your minor flaws, that won't be noticed otherwise, as you are always moving.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Mirrors show a reverse image of yourself. As such, unless you have perfect symmetry in your face a mirror image and photo image will look slightly different from one another. Chances are you are more accustomed to your less accurate mirror image version of what you look like.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

#3...

In other words, the person we see reflected in the mirror is not the reality of what we look like -- it's warped by our brain to make us hotter. This is one of the reasons people claim not to be photogenic or say they hate pictures of themselves. Yeah, right, it's the camera.

Cracked

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

my butt looks bigger when in film or in pics...

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

Well yeah. Your face is reversed in a mirror too. So that's not what you look like to everybody else anyway.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#24 Hiddai
Member since 2004 • 6117 Posts
Yeah it's weird
Avatar image for michael_1234576
michael_1234576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 michael_1234576
Member since 2004 • 8621 Posts
I look best in person, or so I've been told
Avatar image for deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
Member since 2009 • 4084 Posts

Funny. I find that my pictures are generally more attractive then my mirror image. Granted sometimes I'll take a rally bad pic... drivers licence.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

When i look in the mirror, i see a good looking guy, but then i take a picture of myself or im in a picture, i look different(to me ugly).

I don't know what to believe, the mirror or camera, on who and what i actually look like...

And do other people see my flaws in person or is it just me? Becuase when i look into the mirror, my hairline is straight, my eyes are even etc, but when i take a picture or im in a photo, my hairline if a little uneven and my left eye is a little lower than my right, and my head is a little bigger.

What is your take on this?

biggerdjam
Ask girls
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
When I look in the mirror my face is symmetrical and pretty decent to handsome looking. In pictures, my face looks deformed to the point where it looks like it doesnt even match my body.
Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

When i get ready in the morning, I always check the mirror and then take a photo of myself using the phone. Not a "selfie" but a real scientific photo.

I can evaluate and check if my make up is symettrical, and can fix it.