Ever gotten a ticket or pulled over by a cop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I got both a ticket and pulled over by a cop today.

I got my first ticket. It was a $32 parking ticket that I got for parking too close to a stop sign. I was in a hurry to get to class, so I didn't think much of it. Honestly, I think I deserved it just for my shitty parking job. :P

Anyway, on my way home, I was driving in the carpool lane. Carpool lanes are designated for vehicles with two or more occupants, but solo drivers can get a transponder that digitally fees you and allows you to legally drive in the lane; I have a transponder.

The speed limit is 55 MPH and I'm going 60. I noticed the cars in front of me slow down, so I did the same. I noticed a digital sign displayed above the highway showing the speed limit reduced to 30 because of the slowing traffic. There was a highway patrol car on the left shoulder that I was passing while slowing down, but I hadn't completely slowed down to 30 yet as I passed. I slow down even more as I pass the patrol car. Then shit gets real. The patrol officer puts his lights on and I pull over the the shoulder and put on my hazard lights.

The officer comes up to my window and asks for my license and asks if everything on it is correct. I said yes except for a pending name change (My mom switched her last name back to her maiden name and I decided to change my last name to her maiden name as well, but we won't be getting our new licenses for five to six weeks). I opened up my glove box to pull my insurance paper out, and as I did that, the officer told me that he pulled me over for driving in the HOV (carpool) lane. I was like, "Oh!", and grabbed my transponder and showed it to him. He told me that the device he used to detect transponders didn't beep, hence why he thought I was illegally in the lane. He said I was good and I thanked him. Then I went on my merry way. :D

I thought I was gonna get a speeding ticket. Thank God I didn't come home with a parking and speeding ticket; my mom would have been pissed. :O

TL;DR version: I got my first (parking) ticket which was $32. I got pulled over by a cop for the first time on my way home. I thought I was getting pulled over for speeding but wasn't. The cop thought I was driving illegally in the carpool lane, but he realized I wasn't when I showed him my transponder that allows me to legally drive in the lane, and avoided a pricey ticket. Major crisis avoided.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

several parking tickets and two speeding tickets. my buddy got a ticket for not having his seat belt on the other day, lol dummy

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

Twice.

The first time was when I was driving straight up to New York. It was a 12 hour drive and I was only an hour or two in. I just got some breakfast and got back on the interstate. After a minute or so, I drive by a steep ditch and notice a cop positioned all the way at the bottom. I immediately look at my speed (81 in a 65 zone) and instantly slow down, but I knew it was too late. He makes his way out instantly and gets right on my ass. What's worse - and this is something I'll never forget - is that when the cop with the flashing lights was on my ass I could see the driver next to me, pointing at me and laughing. What a dick.

The second time is a rather elaborate story. My car was spray painted on the side. It wasn't anything detailed or offensive; just a squiggly line (it came off with some liquid my dad had.) I'm pretty sure I didn't notice it until days after it occurred. Anyways, I called the cops and told them about it, just for the hell of it. I had my suspicions for who did it (my ex's sister), but I wasn't certain. As I was on the phone with them, they happened to notify me that my plates had been expired for six months. I had no knowledge of this and told them I'd renew them the next day. Now, I need to address the fact that while my plates were expired for six months, I drove to Atlanta and New York numerous times. So there I was, on my way to this office, which was no more than three miles away from my house. I look into my rearview mirror and, of course, a cop is at least half a mile back. I'm talking to myself, being as hopeful as possible, praying that this guy doesn't flash his lights. There they go and I'm on the side. Like I have a fucking bullseye on my vehicle. I tried explaining the situation, that I really was on my way to get them renewed. He didn't buy any of it. Gave me a $300 ticket and went on with his day.

The worst part is that my insurance skyrocketed. Only now is it going down to a somewhat reasonable price. I haven't been pulled over since, fortunately, though just the other day a cop followed me for what felt like five miles.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Pulled over once for doing an illegal U-turn. A few parking tickets (yellow line) in College and one ticket for parking on a green area.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamerguru100

@4myAmuzumament said:

several parking tickets and two speeding tickets. my buddy got a ticket for not having his seat belt on the other day, lol dummy

ROFL, I'll never get a ticket for not having my seat belt on. Putting that on is second nature and I feel naked and vulnerable without it. :P

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamerguru100

@Master_Live said:

Pulled over once for doing an illegal U-turn. A few parking tickets (yellow line) in College and one ticket for parking on a green area.

Yeah, I checked around after I got the parking ticket and noticed that damn yellow line. I think I'll just avoid parking anywhere near that area now.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

As far as I can remember I got pulled over three times. The first time was in Wisconsin while on leave from Iraq and I got a $150 ticket out of it. A few years later I got a written warning for speeding on the I-20 in Augusta, GA and last week I got a verbal warning for going 11 over during my lunch break.

Looking back to when I was a recruiter, once I wasn't paying attention to my speed and was going around 75 in a 45. A police car got behind me and when it got close enough to see the license plate (US Government) he backed off and did a U-Turn.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Not since 1991 and I was lucky to be not hauled off to jail. California Highway Patrol at Auburn, CA (along I-80) caught me doing125 mph. Instead of arresting me, they gave me a ticket for 75 mph in a 55 mph zone. They had bigger fish to fry.

I had one ticket for speeding in Oklahoma and I weaseled my way out of another one in that state. Then, I had another speeding ticket in California (also along I-80 at Auburn) just before the one above and weaseled my way out of another one after. That'd be three in one month if I got busted for the last one. I've been clean since....probably because I got engaged to a gal who is now my wife.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44539 Posts

well, be happy it's just a parking ticket you ended up with, two tickets in the same day would have really sucked

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

I got my first ticket. It was a $32 parking ticket that I got for parking too close to a stop sign. I was in a hurry to get to class, so I didn't think much of it. Honestly, I think I deserved it just for my shitty parking job. :P

Anyway, on my way home, I was driving in the carpool lane. Carpool lanes are designated for vehicles with two or more occupants, but solo drivers can get a transponder that digitally fees you and allows you to legally drive in the lane; I have a transponder.

The speed limit is 55 MPH and I'm going 60. I noticed the cars in front of me slow down, so I did the same. I noticed a digital sign displayed above the highway showing the speed limit reduced to 30 because of the slowing traffic. There was a highway patrol car on the left shoulder that I was passing while slowing down, but I hadn't completely slowed down to 30 yet as I passed. I slow down even more as I pass the patrol car. Then shit gets real. The patrol officer puts his lights on and I pull over the the shoulder and put on my hazard lights.

The officer comes up to my window and asks for my license and asks if everything on it is correct. I said yes except for a pending name change (My mom switched her last name back to her maiden name and I decided to change my last name to her maiden name as well, but we won't be getting our new licenses for five to six weeks). I opened up my glove box to pull my insurance paper out, and as I did that, the officer told me that he pulled me over for driving in the HOV (carpool) lane. I was like, "Oh!", and grabbed my transponder and showed it to him. He told me that the device he used to detect transponders didn't beep, hence why he thought I was illegally in the lane. He said I was good and I thanked him. Then I went on my merry way. :D

I thought I was gonna get a speeding ticket. Thank God I didn't come home with a parking and speeding ticket; my mom would have been pissed. :O

TL;DR version: I got my first (parking) ticket which was $32. I got pulled over by a cop for the first time on my way home. I thought I was getting pulled over for speeding but wasn't. The cop thought I was driving illegally in the carpool lane, but he realized I wasn't when I showed him my transponder that allows me to legally drive in the lane, and avoided a pricey ticket. Major crisis avoided.

When working as a field engineer I had an average of 500$ on speeding tickets yearly , about 150$ on parking tickets.

You crying over 32$ and that your mum was going to be pissed

Grow up

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Pull over by a corrupt cop .... yes

Ticket ... only by post

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Just once.

Was driving a buddy's truck. Dude had expired plates by a few weeks and neither of us realized it. He paid the ticket out of guilt even though I asked to split it.

I did get honked at by a MP on post for going 10 over. The street is a little tricky area where it changes between 25 and 35 a few times. Forgot about it and was just going 35 the whole way.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I'm 37 I've gotten so many tickets I've lost count. Although I haven't gotten one in 7 years. I hit a coca cola semi truck in the side. I rear ended a lady. I lost control on a icy road and hit a telephone pole. The cop gave me a ticket for damage to city property. I ran a red light and was t-boned. That one was pretty bad I got sued for $50,000. I was driving on a suspended license and I was high on weed. The only thing the cop did was give me 2 tickets. He didn't know I was high. The tickets cost me $1000 and I was ordered to take a defensive driving class. I never took the class and got caught. The judge gave me 2 weeks in jail. I've probably had 20 tickets in my life. My worst driving offence I stole my step dads Jaguar one night. I wanted to see how fast it could go. I got it on the freeway up to 160 mph. Looking back on all of this I'm thankful no one ever got killed by my stupidity.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

Pulled over once on my way to work. I was driving an old green Mercury Topaz and there was an identical one that was always parked on my driving route to work. Cop pulled me over near that spot, sat in his car for a minute, and then told me I could go. He probably ran my plates as soon as he pulled me over, and figured out I wasn't whoever owns the other car.

Wonder what the other car owner did that they had cops ready to corner them at their workplace.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Not that I recall; got a speeding ticket delivered to my house once for going 200km/h in a highway but I didn't even recognize the license plate. Turns out it was the license plate of the trailer I bought for my parents...maybe the thing's got an engine I don't know about and it goes for a spin on the highway when nobody's looking =P

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Driving since 1992 and never got a ticket. It's not difficult to follow the rules.

I have been in a few accidents, but none of them were my fault.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gamerguru100

@evildead6789 said:

@gamerguru100 said:

When working as a field engineer I had an average of 500$ on speeding tickets yearly , about 150$ on parking tickets.

Grow up

You got $500 in speeding tickets and $150 in parking tickets yearly and you have the nerve to tell me to grow up? How the hell do you still have a license? That's pretty hilarious, dude. I was never "crying" over the parking ticket, and I said my mom would have been pissed only if I had gotten two tickets. Reading comprehension must not be your forte.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

yeah, 2 tickets and i've been pulled over a few times.

i got pulled over once for being a couple days outside the grace period for registration (figures when some people go months without anybody noticing). the plus was that i was driving home from the town offices with my registration stickers lying on my passenger seat. i just hadn't bothered to put them on yet because it was only a 10 minute drive home. the officer was grumpy about it but didn't pull the ultimate dick move by giving me a ticket for it.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

got my first speeding ticket less than a month after getting my license at a bs speedtrap right after the limit when from 40 to 25 and i was doing 38. got another one ~18months later. haven't gotten another in the past 16 years.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Yeah I just recently got a ticket for running a stop a sign and not having insurance. The officer also so took my license plate for not having insurance.

I have to pay a 215 dollars fine to get my plate back. The insurance ticket was deferred but still have to pay 44 bucks for court fees and 144 for the stop sign ticket.

I thought it was funny that there was 6-8 ( they were at court with me, knew some of them) people all pulled over on the same weekend and in the same road at the end of the month.

Seemed they were trying to meet their quotas and everyone driving through late those nights usually got pulled over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Once, and I got off with a warning. It was more about having ice and snow on my roof that was falling off, and less about speeding. I was only going 10 miles over, and I was being passed pretty often by others going faster.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

@evildead6789 said:

@gamerguru100 said:

Grow up

You got $500 in speeding tickets and $150 in parking tickets yearly and you have the nerve to tell me to grow up? How the hell do you still have a license? That's pretty hilarious, dude. I was never "crying" over the parking ticket, and I said my mom would have been pissed only if I had gotten two tickets. Reading comprehension must not be your forte.

How do I still have a license?

Well I don't live in the usa, I was always speeding but never went above the line where you lose your license, so always about 20 mhp more than allowed (on highways)

I said ' was going to be pissed' and you said 'major crisis avoided'... think about it

Don't take it that seriously,.. bro

What is more important is that you have a good car that you can trust and that you're focussed. Tickets may be a pain in the ass but I never had an accident. I was very carefull in cities and villages but once I was on the motorway...

My tickets were paid partially by my employer, I i remember correctly it was about 250$/year

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Nope.

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

I was pulled over once, but he got the wrong person. He said that I "flew through the intersection" and was going over the speed limit, but at said intersection I had made a right-hand turn; I obviously wasn't making a 55 mph turn.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c73e1dc0ab05
deactivated-5c73e1dc0ab05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-5c73e1dc0ab05
Member since 2013 • 48 Posts

I've only been given a warning, which was nice because I was going much faster than the speed limit.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Not even once.

Been driving for 7 years.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

Nope, mainly since I don't drive. :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178833 Posts

Yep....have more speeding tickets than I remember. Though fortunately none lately. I'd like to keep it that way.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Never pulled over. Only stopped at road checks, where they give me restaurant coupons for driving with my seat belt and have all my lights functional. :)

I get pretty neurotic with cops on the road. Whenever I see a cruiser in my rear-view, I get a pit in my stomach and start worrying if I'm doing anything wrong.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I got pulled over once and it was one of the most idiotic things ever. Here's a nicely drawn diagram to illustrate why this ticket was stupid.

1) The cop was standing on the side of the road, pulling tons of people over, already had a line of cars waiting to be given tickets, his car was parked under the elevated highway.

2) The road is 4 lanes (all one way). The far lane is used to get onto the highway, the middle 2 go straight, while the far right lane is a turn only lane.

3) I was attempting to get onto the highway, so I turned into the far middle lane so I only needed to get over one more time to get onto the highway. The road is really short, maybe only 100 meters or so.

4) Cop pulls me over and tickets me for turning across multiple lanes of traffic. I'm sorry, but on such a short road with so many lanes it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to make 4 proper lane moves to get onto the highway. Really stupid law and really stupid place to pull people over for breaking said law, especially considering it cost me $80.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

No. But all of the cops in my area seem pretty useless. I've had, on numerous occasions, cops in front of me stop short and take a right, without a blinker, into a Dunkin Donuts by my work. Or, just the other day I was at a light, in line to take a left, we get the green arrow for our lane for the left turn, old lady behind me drives into the oncoming traffic lane, drove about 20 feet and made the left turn cutting a bunch of people off...while this is happening there is a cop at the front of the traffic across the intersection. Did nothing. Luckily there were only green arrows to take the left, had both sides had green she would have been driving in the oncoming traffic lane while cars were there. I can only hope the intersection had cameras. Old people should not be allowed to drive.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Never pulled over. Only stopped at road checks, where they give me restaurant coupons for driving with my seat belt and have all my lights functional. :)

I get pretty neurotic with cops on the road. Whenever I see a cruiser in my rear-view, I get a pit in my stomach and start worrying if I'm doing anything wrong.

Not me. I do the standard 5 mph over the speed limit even with the cops around. They don't care.

I get more careful in school zones or when a school bus or a cop car/ambulance with flashing lights is around. Violating the laws concerning those will definitely get you in trouble with the cops.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#35 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

I think most cops who issue speeding tickets are corrupt and racist against me (I am my own race). I mean I got one once when I was doing 48 in a 20. That old woman shouldn't have been going the speed limit an the officer should have understood that the world revolves around me. And only me.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

Oh yeah. I got a $200 speeding ticket from the Tucson AZ cops back in 2010. Apparently, my friend was driving my old sedan that I had signed over to him. He was feeling frisky and went 15 mph over the speed limit at a camera/laser-equipped section of road. The cops thought I still owned the car and mailed the ticket to me here in New York. Ha Ha!

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

I've gotten one whole ticket. A couple of years ago I was driving home from college, and there's this big 4 way intersection that doesn't have a light specifically for people who wanna make a left turn. And with the large volume of traffic that usually goes through that intersection, you can seriously sit there waiting for an opening to make a left until the light turns red again. So you might end up sitting there for a long time. And one that day, I was getting kind of impatient and just decided to quick fly through the intersection and make that left. Who do I pull out in front of? A cop. So he pulls me over and gives me my first and so far only ticket. I think it was for about $85.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

No because i don't drive

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I'm a very rash biker , always riding sports bikes full speed , without helmet , breaking traffic signals . Traffic cops most of the time catching me and fining me , my driving license is also on risk. Thing is i won't change, thats how i roll and enjoy myself breaking rules :)