Ever been to a psychiatrist?

#1 Edited by playmynutz (5921 posts) -

I went last year because I was stressing. They gave me a phone interview first and I told them I use weed. Then I went and forgot I said that so I told the psychiatrist I don't use weed.

She calls me a lier and said "why are you here? For drugs!"

Then she told me my stress just sounds like a complaining child.

Finally she said "people with psychological disorders don't know they have a problem, you do know exactly what is wrong."

Translation in my mind: "if you use drugs recreationally and enjoy it, I won't give you drugs, these drugs are for people that have no fucking idea what drugs do to them and don't enjoy it."

Seeing the psychiatrist was a complete waste of time and I got my feelings hurt by the way I was treated. I didn't get perscribed anything, don't need their stupid drugs anyway.

Have you visited a psychiatrists?

#2 Posted by roulettethedog (10927 posts) -

I was forced to go to one in 8th grade. I B.S ed the whole time there and thought the day was a waste of time.

#3 Posted by Iszdope (9395 posts) -

Yep.

Every month.

#4 Edited by outworld222 (2311 posts) -

Every three months.

BTW a psychiatrist has no right to disrespect you that way. Why hurt your feelings in that way?

#5 Posted by Behardy24 (2296 posts) -

Yes. Went twice 8 months ago or so. He was nice.

#6 Edited by AutoPilotOn (7932 posts) -

I never went myself. But when my wife's parents split up and she was getting stressed about a lot of stuff she went to consoling and I went in with her a few times. She saw two different lady's over the course of a few visits. One was very nice helpful understanding and gave useful advice and views. The other seemed like a hack.

#7 Posted by Dariency (9406 posts) -

I have. He just gave me a bunch of medication that screwed me up. After that I went to a physiologist for almost three years. He was supportive and tried giving me advice but it didn't really help me much.

#8 Posted by XilePrincess (13095 posts) -

Yeah, I've been to a few as a kid. All the memories really bring back are resentment to my mom for sending me/tricking me into going (that's a whole different story) and anger for the fact that all of them were entirely useless. I was mad because my dad had had a seizure, was suddenly out of work, I witnessed the whole thing and was upset and stressed and my family was changing and instead of anybody asking how I was, we ended up seeing different therapists for years. My mom thought I had a chemical imbalance because I was pissed off all the time.

Not one of the 4 people I (or we) saw even considered the fact that I was likely eyeball-deep in stress, depression and anxiety at the age of 8. Even therapists don't consider childhood depression to be a real thing, and if they had, I might have had a much less stressful adolescence.

Therapists for the most part, for average people, are a joke. Hmm, child has had a huge, life-altering event happen and then suddenly is ACTING DIFFERENTLY? DOES THAT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT? My years of college and framed papers say I'm not going to bother asking because getting to the bottom of your family's misery would cut my paycheque off a little sooner than I'd like. Same time next week?

#9 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2114 posts) -

My parents forced me to go a bunch of times.Of course i lied my ass off and he thought i was fine.

Nobody knows the real me.

#10 Posted by Detroit222 (5272 posts) -

Just remember that half the shrinks graduated at the bottom of their class. (You probably got a "bottom feeder".)

I did go when I was in my teens. The therapist was great. Really nice and helped me a lot.

#11 Edited by always_explicit (2619 posts) -

With psychiatry you get what you put in. If you go there and bullshit them then all they have to work with is a bunch of bullshit. They are psychiatrists not mind readers.

It is what it is.... an opportunity to open up to an individual with professional training, someone to discuss and work through issues with you. How can you expect to have a positive experience if all you do is lie and waste his/her time?

#12 Posted by jasean79 (2166 posts) -

Not a psychiatrist, but went to a relationship counselor with the wife for a few months prior to getting married. She was good, helped us out with some problems we were having at the time.

#13 Posted by Allicrombie (25085 posts) -

My psychiatrist is great, I see her every 7 weeks. Nice older lady, very professional and easy to talk to.

#14 Posted by bforrester420 (1002 posts) -

I went to two or three sessions when I was in my early 20s. I was working 3rd shift, new to the area, living alone, and didn't know anyone my own age. I was somewhat depressed. After I took a new job working normal hours and got back in the gym, I was in a better place (mentally) and didn't need the counseling.

#15 Edited by lostrib (31460 posts) -

Just to check, everyone knows the difference between a Psychiatrist and a psychologist/therapist right?

#16 Posted by Open-Casket (72 posts) -

Haven't had a reason to go.

#17 Posted by KHAndAnime (13139 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Just to check, everyone knows the difference between a Psychiatrist and a psychologist/therapist right?

I doubt it.

I've used neither. I think it would be beneficial to me if I saw all over the above, but as a person I sound a lot more stable if I say I've never been and likely never will need to go. I think I'd be busy dissecting the psychiatrist rather than the other way around.

#18 Posted by yokofox33 (28904 posts) -

No, but I've been given depression medication by a doctor before. I go into funks at times. I'm not taking the meds anymore, but I still go into depressive moods at times. I'm kind of in one now.

#19 Edited by Master_Live (13606 posts) -
@lostrib said:

I hope so.

#20 Edited by Allicrombie (25085 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I doubt it.

I've used neither. I think it would be beneficial to me if I saw all over the above, but as a person I sound a lot more stable if I say I've never been and likely never will need to go. I think I'd be busy dissecting the psychiatrist rather than the other way around.

if you do decide to try it, the most important thing in finding a qualified mental health professional is finding someone you are comfortable talking to. This can sometimes take time, but its so worth it. Everyone can benefit from having someone they can confide in, in a relaxed setting, whether its simply as a sounding board for various stressors in life or just to talk about recent experiences and how they made you feel.

#21 Posted by one_plum (6299 posts) -

No, but I feel I might have to. I forget things easily such as forgetting to remove the keys from the house door last night. So frustrating.

#22 Edited by British_Azimio (2450 posts) -

Yes. Just saw one today actually. Been committed to mental hospitals about 25 times in the past two years or so.

#23 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

I have. I prefer therapists--psychiatry is a branch of medicine, and thus they primarily specialize in biological treatments for mental illnesses. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but I believe non-medicinal therapy tends to be more effective. Also, psychiatry has a ridiculously fucked-up history of rallying behind ineffective treatments 100% and then sweeping it under the rug when said treatments were exposed as bullshit.