Empire's 301 GOAT: 1) Empire Strikes Back, 2) The Godfather.

#1 Posted by Master_Live (14423 posts) -

The 301 Greatest Movies of All Time As Voted By Its Readers.

1. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (10/10)
  2. The Godfather (10/10)
  3. The Dark Knight (10/10)
  4. The Shawshank Redemption (8/10)
  5. Pulp Fiction (7/10)
  6. Star Wars: A New Hope (9/10)
  7. TLOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring (8/10)
  8. Jaws (N/A)
  9. Raiders of the Lost Ark (7/10)
  10. Inception (10/10)
  11. Blade Runner (9/10)
  12. TLOTR: The Return of the King (N/A)
  13. Goodfellas (10/10)
  14. Fight Club (8/10)
  15. The Godfather: Part II (10/10)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 15 plus my personal ratings. Keep in mind that this is an Empire's readers list. The list is pop culture heavy but with that said it is always fun to use this lists as springboards for discussion.

#2 Posted by Master_Live (14423 posts) -

#3 Edited by uninspiredcup (8309 posts) -

Good list imo. Don't really agree with "Dark Knight" or "Fight Club" as well as a few others but like you say, it's very pop culture heavy.

"Seven Samurai" and "Ran" would be in my top ten along "Once Upon A Time In The West" and "For A Few Dollars More" slightly down the list.

#4 Edited by foxhound_fox (88053 posts) -

I love TDK, and think Star Wars is better than ESB... but #3 among Godfather and Shawshank?

#5 Edited by uninspiredcup (8309 posts) -

Nolan fanboys.

#6 Edited by Master_Live (14423 posts) -

Agree, it should had been #1

#7 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26165 posts) -

#8 Posted by bobaban (10558 posts) -

Good list. Anyone explain to me Blade Runner? That movie was weird, I don't remember it as a kid but when I rewatched it recently I couldn't see why this was good back then.

#9 Edited by Aljosa23 (24847 posts) -

@bobaban said:

Good list. Anyone explain to me Blade Runner? That movie was weird, I don't remember it as a kid but when I rewatched it recently I couldn't see why this was good back then.

Blade Runner wasn't loved right off the bat. The film had a typical cult status but it wasn't until '92 when Ridley Scott released the Director's Cut that it entered the public's conscious as an absolute classic of the genre. It has beautiful production design and an aesthetic that has inspired so many different films, anime, and even video games from Dark City, Snatcher, Metal Gear Solid, Akira, to countless more. I love the film because every time I see it I learn something new about or interpret a scene or idea in a different way. It's one of the best examples of a film that only gets better the more you see it.

Anyway, decent list I guess. About par for the course for a readers' list.

#10 Edited by BranKetra (48447 posts) -

That is a good list, though I would have voted differently to a certain extent. For example, I would have had Princess Mononoke instead of either Godfather films and Gladiator instead of Goodfellas.

@bobaban: Blade Runner is great because it asks questions about the nature of life and who has the right to decide if a replicant should be retired once it gains more independence and instability through natural growth all in a cyberpunk setting. Also, it begs the question, what will occur if and when bioandroids are finally made and they exhibit similar traits? We are not that far from such a situation. Last, but certainly not least, is Roy Batty.

#11 Posted by Senor_Kami (8380 posts) -

Good movies in there but the ranking is pretty different than how I would have voted. I love Star Wars but none of them would have made it my Top 10, certainly not above stuff like Godfather I/II and Goodfellas.

#12 Posted by SummerParadise (160 posts) -

3.The Dark Knight

16. Avengers Assemble

242. Iron Man 3

This proves that people watch movie only for action, not for story. Sad... they just voted Transformer movie(Avengers) top 16. And yet, there is no Spider-Man 2 that had amazing score, action and STORY(MOST OF ALL, HEART). I just all respect i had for comic book movie watchers

#13 Posted by Master_Live (14423 posts) -

3.The Dark Knight

16. Avengers Assemble

242. Iron Man 3

This proves that people watch movie only for action, not for story. Sad... they just voted Transformer movie(Avengers) top 16. And yet, there is no Spider-Man 2 that had amazing score, action and STORY(MOST OF ALL, HEART). I just all respect i had for comic book movie watchers

So The Dark Knight was all action, no story?

#14 Edited by SummerParadise (160 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@summerparadise said:

3.The Dark Knight

16. Avengers Assemble

242. Iron Man 3

Well actor death and Joker popularity. All hype.

Well, let´s see. People complain that Green Goblin and Venom were wasted in Spider-Man movies because they had 30 min screen time, but Two-Face who had 10 min screen time was not wasted. Also Joker had no motives, and people say that he has best villains motives ever, and people complain that Spider-Man and other movie villains has worst and idiot motives. I remember that when movie came out, 100 000 people voted 10 out of 10 without even seening a movie. I am realist, not fanboy. People should analyze before they say anything.

Well, your score Dark Knight - 10, but The Shawshank Redemption - 8 proves my words that people are not watching movie because of story but because of action. Did you already forgot? Same people voted Call of Duty: Black Ops BEST VIDEO GAME ENDING EVER.

Is it possible to buy this webpage out?

#15 Edited by lamprey263 (23527 posts) -

meh, way too many great movies to have a greatest movies of all time list, plus that list looks like it was made by a 15 year old

that's why I like the WatchMojo YouTube channel, full of plenty of top X lists for more focused subjects...

JUST SEE THEIR VIDEO LIST to get an idea

#16 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17272 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@summerparadise said:

3.The Dark Knight

16. Avengers Assemble

242. Iron Man 3

Well, let´s see. People complain that Green Goblin and Venom were wasted in Spider-Man movies because they had 30 min screen time, but Two-Face who had 10 min screen time was not wasted. Also Joker had no motives, and people say that he has best villains motives ever, and people complain that Spider-Man and other movie villains has worst and idiot motives. I remember that when movie came out, 100 000 people voted 10 out of 10 without even seening a movie. I am realist, not fanboy. People should analyze before they say anything.

Well, your score Dark Knight - 10, but The Shawshank Redemption - 8 proves my words that people are not watching movie because of story but because of action. Did you already forgot? Same people voted Call of Duty: Black Ops BEST VIDEO GAME ENDING EVER.

It is exactly The Joker's LACK of a motive that makes him so great. He isn't trying to conquer the world. He isn't trying to gain vast riches. He is trying to gain power. He just wants to watch the world burn. He wants to see how far he can push people. The man is anarchy incarnate. He is Batmans polar opposite which is why he makes for such an amazing villain (not just in TDK either).

Green Goblin and Doc Oc both have worse villain motives. They are just decent men who get made crazy by inventions they built. While I love the old Spiderman movies, the villains really lacked much motivation.

Dark Knight had a good amount of story BTW. It wasn't just action.

Oh and lists like this shouldn't exist. Way too damn broad. Things need to be narrowed down. If someone were to ask me specifically what the best martial arts movie ever was I would likely say The Raid 2. If someone just asked me to list fav movies of mine, I likely woudn't give The Raid 2 as my #1 answer.

Too many amazing movies that do very different things to just ask for a best of list.

#17 Posted by SummerParadise (160 posts) -

@summerparadise said:

@Master_Live said:

@summerparadise said:

3.The Dark Knight

16. Avengers Assemble

242. Iron Man 3

It is exactly The Joker's LACK of a motive that makes him so great. He isn't trying to conquer the world. He isn't trying to gain vast riches. He is trying to gain power. He just wants to watch the world burn. He wants to see how far he can push people. The man is anarchy incarnate. He is Batmans polar opposite which is why he makes for such an amazing villain (not just in TDK either).

Green Goblin and Doc Oc both have worse villain motives. They are just decent men who get made crazy by inventions they built. While I love the old Spiderman movies, the villains really lacked much motivation.

Oh and lists like this shouldn't exist. Way too damn broad. Things need to be narrowed down. If someone were to ask me specifically what the best martial arts movie ever was I would likely say The Raid 2. If someone just asked me to list fav movies of mine, I likely woudn't give The Raid 2 as my #1 answer.

Too many amazing movies that do very different things to just ask for a best of list.

And this makes Dark Knight bad. Villain has no origin story, no motives, nothing. There is no character development at all. This is like Transformers movie where we just see villain wants to gain power for no reason at all.

Green Goblin and Doc Ock had motives, they had character development, they had ORIGIN STORY, we saw who they were before before they turned into villain. Also action scenes is better, score, story and stuff like that. What is Dark Knight story then? If you saying protecting a whole movie city against villains, then i´m sorry but this is not story. Where is movie heart?

Again, Dark Knight is rated so high because of dead actor, because of famous villain Joker.

So far Spider-Man 2 is still highest rated Superhero movie of all time by critics.(Not by fanboys, but a real audience).

Like i said, 100 000 gave 10 out of 10 without even seeing a movie proves my point. When Dark Knight is all about crime and action, then Spider-Man has also heart, soul and story.

#18 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36793 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@summerparadise said:

3.The Dark Knight

16. Avengers Assemble

242. Iron Man 3

That was a painful sentence

#19 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36793 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@summerparadise said:

@Master_Live said:

@summerparadise said:

3.The Dark Knight

16. Avengers Assemble

242. Iron Man 3

And this makes Dark Knight bad. Villain has no origin story, no motives, nothing. There is no character development at all. This is like Transformers movie where we just see villain wants to gain power for no reason at all.

Green Goblin and Doc Ock had motives, they had character development, they had ORIGIN STORY, we saw who they were before before they turned into villain. Also action scenes is better, score, story and stuff like that. What is Dark Knight story then? If you saying protecting a whole movie city against villains, then i´m sorry but this is not story. Where is movie heart?

Again, Dark Knight is rated so high because of dead actor, because of famous villain Joker.

So far Spider-Man 2 is still highest rated Superhero movie of all time by critics.(Not by fanboys, but a real audience).

Like i said, 100 000 gave 10 out of 10 without even seeing a movie proves my point. When Dark Knight is all about crime and action, then Spider-Man has also heart, soul and story.

That was just a painful post

#20 Edited by uninspiredcup (8309 posts) -

Has anyone seen Ran? I fucking hated it the first time I saw it but then it clicked on my small peon brain. Ran is basically about evil and how it corrupts much like the Dark Knight but done much better imo.

Rather than trying to make or prove people evil through dire circumstances (which in reality tends to bring out the best in people) which again, I never really got... it's done through feeding on peoples aspirations and ego and actions created by prior actions.

In The Dark Knight, you get indications Harvey Dent is not quite right, before he is two face and is "brought down to our level"

In Ran, it's has much more thought put into it. A retiring warlord, who has conquered all the land, shares his land between his three sons giving main power to the eldest.

One of his sons, outright explains to him that the warlord brought them up in a brutal manner and that they will all turn against each other. The Warlords doesn't believe him and banishes him.

Throughout the movie, we see that the son he banished was absolutely right, all his sons are corrupted due to his actions. And Lady Kaede (basically a much better Joker) starts turning them all against each other. She herself (rather than just because) is created by the Warlords actions prior, having killed all her family, all she gives a shit about is seeing them all down and seeing the castle she owned "burn".

By the end of the movie, practically every cast member is dead. Because A) His sons are bad (like the Joker) but because of his actions rather than "just because" B) Lady Kaede also created by the old Warlord feeding on aspirations to get people to do what she wants...

I never really got the argument of the Joker being a great villain because he's evil "just because". You get plenty of these types of villains in Saturday morning cartoons. And the concept of "bringing people down" or proving they are evil by praying on them isn't really a new concept either and arguably done much better in other movies (which is why I bring up Ran). Could probably also bring up "Throne Of Blood" as another example that does it better than TDK.

#21 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24242 posts) -

It's kinda what I would expect from a reader's bestest ever list...very IMDb ish.

#22 Edited by sSubZerOo (43154 posts) -

IDK, this list contains entirely too many modern movies that have been released in the past two decades.. Then again I always thought these top movie lists suck no matter how you slice it and it should be by genre..

#23 Posted by themajormayor (25744 posts) -

Haha, no. Only movies that deserves to be on the list is Godfather part II, Bladerunner and maybe Godfather part I.

#24 Edited by Aljosa23 (24847 posts) -

Has anyone seen Ran? I fucking hated it the first time I saw it but then it clicked on my small peon brain. Ran is basically about evil and how it corrupts much like the Dark Knight but done much better imo.

I never really got the argument of the Joker being a great villain because he's evil "just because". You get plenty of these types of villains in Saturday morning cartoons. And the concept of "bringing people down" or proving they are evil by praying on them isn't really a new concept either and arguably done much better in other movies (which is why I bring up Ran). Could probably also bring up "Throne Of Blood" as another example that does it better than TDK.

Ran is basically King Lear and Throne of Blood is Macbeth, so the concepts go so far back.

And yeah, I completely agree with you WRT The Joker in The Dark Knight. He isn't a particularly interesting character outside of his mannerisms and the acting of Heath Ledger. He's actually pretty damn shallow.

It's the nerd crowd that hypes up that film as something worthy of being in the upper echelons of cinema. Unfortunately that crowd has pretty garbage taste 99% of the time.