Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes). Whats the deal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

These are gaining popularity as a stop-smoking aid. They supposedly have no tar,harmful chemicals,carcinogens, smoke,or ash.

I am seriously considering this to try and quit the habit...once and for all. Anyone have any experience with them? If so which make and model would you recommend? If not opinions about the topic are welcome as well.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts

I haven't heard of these... I'm on about my 5th week of quitting and I can tell you it's very very hard. I'm using the patch and lozenges for immediate cravings. It really helps alot actually, I tried cold turkey a couple of years ago and I was an outright monster for the 2 weeks I was on the wagon. Patch and lozenges didn't make it easy for me.. but it made it tolerable.

My mother is actually a nurse in charge of a stop smoking cessation program in my area and she told me that nicotine is the 2nd most addictive substance currently known beaten out only by crack cocaine. I can't imagine that something with no nicotine in it will really do you much good. It's too strong a chemical addiction and you're not going to trick your body into thinking it's getting some if it isn't...

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I sell cigs at the gas station I work at. Someone talked about them in there and said they worked very well. I would consider trying them. As much as cigs cost, and as bad as they are for you, you won't regret quitting.
wtrrhghjg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wtrrhghjg
Member since 2009 • 68 Posts
if it works go for it
JIT93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JIT93
Member since 2007 • 5590 Posts
I heard of them in other sites, I think its pretty cool, it puts a pretty color when you smoke it :o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts

zero times the cancer of regular cigarettes

jessmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jessmaster13
Member since 2009 • 3170 Posts

I saw a booth for these at my local mall. I don't see how they will help someone quit, but if it works then thats cool.

Akawoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Akawoa
Member since 2008 • 812 Posts

I can't speak for their affectiveness but if you're curious how they work and how they would help chech this wiki link out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

I haven't heard of these... I'm on about my 5th week of quitting and I can tell you it's very very hard. I'm using the patch and lozenges for immediate cravings. It really helps alot actually, I tried cold turkey a couple of years ago and I was an outright monster for the 2 weeks I was on the wagon. Patch and lozenges didn't make it easy for me.. but it made it tolerable.

My mother is actually a nurse in charge of a stop smoking cessation program in my area and she told me that nicotine is the 2nd most addictive substance currently known beaten out only by crack cocaine. I can't imagine that something with no nicotine in it will really do you much good. It's too strong a chemical addiction and you're not going to trick your body into thinking it's getting some if it isn't...

mfp16

I've been smoking for 20+ years and have tried various things to quit myself...with no luck. These things do contain nicotine and would satisfy the hand to mouth thing as well...so Im rather optimistic from what I have heard so far.

Congrats on making it to week 5, thats something to be proud of for sure! :)

worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 worthyofnote
Member since 2007 • 21896 Posts

I saw these a couple of weeks back, but never bothered to check them out. By that time I had just quit smoking on my own. It's been nearly three weeks cold turkey without a single drag. After the first week, I stopped having cravings and broke the habit of reaching for a smoke after every small work break or meal.

joygandhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 joygandhi
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Customer reviews of Steamlite Yupppy Glad to smoke a E cigs. It really works go for it. Its also available easily everyehere. It is very safe and secure.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

They are cheaper, produce only water vapor, and are healthier for you.  They aren't advertised as a stop-smoking aid because they too contain nicotine, but as an alternative to smoking traditional cigarettes, they are tough to beat.

Plus they have different flavors.  My brother had a coffee flavored one and I was like 'wtf coffee.'

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I think they are a great idea.  if they work for you, go for it.  i know people that love them.  my mom who used them for awhile felt it was working, but they did hurt her throat, so she is back to cigs :(.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts
Before getting these, research the crap out of them. From my understanding, there are a couple really good ones with the rest being garbage. And whatever you do, stay away from Blu. This is the only one I tried so far and it was absoutely disgusting. After a bit of research, it appears the vapors in this one are from vegetable oil.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i smoked 2 packs a day until i switched to e cigs.

you have to experiment with a few different ones until you find the right one but these things are amazing.

as a heavy smoker i had to get one with some major "horsepower" but once i did i just found myself smoking less cigs a day while using the ecig more and more.

this is the one i use and my favorite liquid.

th?id=H.4791406420297931&pid=15.1

th?id=H.4600825843878279&pid=15.1

the main ingrediant in these things is propylene glycol which is used in basically everything and is recognized as generally safe by the fda.

Upon reviewing the available toxicity information, the Agency has
concluded that there are no endpoints of concern for oral, dermal, or
inhalation exposure to propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol. This
conclusion is based on the results of toxicity testing of propylene glycol
and dipropylene glycol in which dose levels near or above testing limits
(as established in the OPPTS 870 series harmonized test guidelines)
were employed in experimental animal studies and no significant toxicity
observed."
"Carcinogenicity Classification
A review of the available data has shown propylene glycol and
dipropylene glycol to be negative for carcinogenicity in studies conducted
up to the testing limit doses established by the Agency; therefore, no
further carcinogenic analysis is required."

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/reregistration/REDs/propylene_glycol_red.pdf

They determined that inhaling Propylene Glycol in levels which
were significantly higher than would be common under any
circumstances did not have any ill effects on the monkeys used for
the study. The only significant effect they noted was weight gain.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,932876-2,00.html

"The report of the 3 years' study of the clinical application of the
disinfection of air by glycol vapors in a children's convalescent home
showed a marked reduction in the number of acute respiratory infections
occurring in the wards treated with both propylene and triethylene
glycols. Whereas in the control wards 132 infections occurred during the
course of the three winters, there were only 13 such instances in the
glycol wards during the same period.

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/toc/ajph/36/4

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Riverwolf007

Before getting these, research the crap out of them. From my understanding, there are a couple really good ones with the rest being garbage. And whatever you do, stay away from Blu. This is the only one I tried so far and it was absoutely disgusting. After a bit of research, it appears the vapors in this one are from vegetable oil.Murderstyle75
it is actually vegetable glycerin.

lots of  companies use it because it is less harsh and easier on peoples throats.

http://vaperanks.com/propylene-glycol-vs-vegetable-glycerin-e-liquid-whats-the-difference/

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"]Before getting these, research the crap out of them. From my understanding, there are a couple really good ones with the rest being garbage. And whatever you do, stay away from Blu. This is the only one I tried so far and it was absoutely disgusting. After a bit of research, it appears the vapors in this one are from vegetable oil.Riverwolf007

lots of  companies use it because it is less harsh and easier on peoples throats.

http://vaperanks.com/propylene-glycol-vs-vegetable-glycerin-e-liquid-whats-the-difference/

Those were actually pretty harsh.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"]Before getting these, research the crap out of them. From my understanding, there are a couple really good ones with the rest being garbage. And whatever you do, stay away from Blu. This is the only one I tried so far and it was absoutely disgusting. After a bit of research, it appears the vapors in this one are from vegetable oil.Murderstyle75

Those were actually pretty harsh.

the blu?

maybe, they use a liquid from a company called johnsons creek and i have never used their stuff before.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Riverwolf007

I think they are a great idea.  if they work for you, go for it.  i know people that love them.  my mom who used them for awhile felt it was working, but they did hurt her throat, so she is back to cigs :(.

NaveedLife

sore throat is a common quitting smoking side effect.

http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/withdrawal1.htm

• Cold symptoms as the lungs begin to clear (sore throats, coughing, and other signs of colds and respiratory problem)

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#20 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

You still get nicotine but it's nowhere near as bad for you. I'm pretty sure most people use them to lean off of actual cigarettes. That way instead of quitting tobacco, you're just quitting e-smoke. I've tried it a couple times before with some friends in high school because you could blow your smoke down a your sleeve and get your fix in school, but never tried quitting with one.

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
I use em because I have to in order to keep up my gym habits, but I still partake in the occasional pack every few weeks. Nothing will ever beat the experience of the real stuff.
solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

Awesome that the forums start working again long enough for someone to bump a 4 year old thread