Economics or Criminal Justice ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

So I just started back at college this month and was wondering which major would have more job opportunities. I'm 24 and worked for many years in a pharmacy and definitely don't wanna go back to that. Anyone have any advice when it comes to which degree to get ? Economics, Criminal Justice, and education all interest me. Thanks for any help.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
JUSTICE!
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Criminal Justice IMO. That's where i'm thinking about going.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
If by "criminal justice" you mean "becoming Batman", then definitely that.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I don't claim to be an expert on the issue, and I have no idea what you really want to do or where you're going, but Economics certainly opens up some doors, and also isn't a bad degree to have if you want to get an MBA or MFIN at some point.

Avatar image for 0mega3FattyAcid
0mega3FattyAcid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 0mega3FattyAcid
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

Criminal Justice. That's what I have, and am not doing a damn thing with it. But it's always a great conversation starter for women at bars. "Ohhh...criminal justice? I feel so safe around you. Save me from all of these hood rats and take me home". You can add your own Female Booty Inspector jokes also, if you like.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TacticalDesire

If by "criminal justice" you mean "becoming Batman", then definitely that.chessmaster1989

Well, I can't argue with that. On a serious note if I recall you're a math major, correct?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

This report lists unemployment by degree.

Looks like Economics degree holders have higher unemployment rates than criminal justice, but the starting and median salaries are much higher.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]If by "criminal justice" you mean "becoming Batman", then definitely that.TacticalDesire

Well, I can't argue with that. On a serious note if I recall you're a math major, correct?

math/econ double major, graduated back in June

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
I finished my Sociology requirements just recently, but I'm staying another two more semesters to finish a B.A in Economics too. :) So I say Economics. Criminal Justice is too popular. Seems like everyone wants to do it nowadays.
Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
Electrical Engineering!
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chessmaster1989
Looks like Economics degree holders have higher unemployment rates than criminal justice, but the starting and median salaries are much higherXaosII
Thus disproving the fundamentals of supply/demand. Take that economics majors, where is your god now! /obviously not serious
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nooblet69

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I think I'll take a few more classes in different subjects before I decide. I'm halfway to the associates from classes I took years ago when I was 18 and 19.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#16 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Definitely don't do teaching if you want to make money. I'm doing electrical engineering and my school makes you do co op. I'm a sophomore and I make like $6000 less a year than my mom and she has a masters for teaching special ed kids. She got like a 3.9 gpa too.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nooblet69

Definitely don't do teaching if you want to make money. I'm doing electrical engineering and my school makes you do co op. I'm a sophomore and I make like $6000 less a year than my mom and she has a masters for teaching special ed kids. She got like a 3.9 gpa too.

cain006
Agree with you on that. My brothers fiancee also has a degree for special eds kids and she makes like 40 or 45k :(.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I am a criminal justice major and enjoy it I guess. There are a lot of different paths you can go, just don't go in wanting to be a cop. About half way through you'll be thoroughly convinced that it the last job you'd ever want.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]If by "criminal justice" you mean "becoming Batman", then definitely that.chessmaster1989

math/econ double major, graduated back in June

Nice, what are you planning to do/doing?

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TwistedShade

I am a criminal justice major and enjoy it I guess. There are a lot of different paths you can go, just don't go in wanting to be a cop. About half way through you'll be thoroughly convinced that it the last job you'd ever want.

BPoole96

What's your opinion on going into Law Enforcement? Eyeing it up so would be interested to hear what you think the negatives are.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts

Depends on what you want to do......

I would say criminal justice is easier than economics. A CJ degree puts you ahead of many for a career in law enforcement, which is really nice if you want to go that route.

An economics degree is more technical though and should probably net you a higher salary.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
Econ Business is always a good field to get into and pursuing an MBA would be ideal with an Econ degree Criminal justice ain't bad but law school is notoriously competitive, as are job positions
-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts
A bachelor's in economics won't make you stand out in the field. But if you can manage getting at least a master's you'll be swimming in bank. If you don't plan on going to graduate school I'd recommend double majoring if you're truly interested in economics. Something like economics and management would work. I'm double majoring in accounting and economics, but my main focus is accounting. I don't even really plan on using the economics degree unless I decide to go for my master's someday.
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
A bachelor's in economics won't make you stand out in the field. But if you can manage getting at least a master's you'll be swimming in bank. If you don't plan on going to graduate school I'd recommend double majoring if you're truly interested in economics. Something like economics and management would work. I'm double majoring in accounting and economics, but my main focus is accounting. I don't even really plan on using the economics degree unless I decide to go for my master's someday. -Tish-
A double major in econ and poli sci would also be great. If you have an interest in criminal justice it'll carry well to poli sci. There's a lot of overlap in both economics and politics, obviously.
-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#26 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts
[QUOTE="-Tish-"]A bachelor's in economics won't make you stand out in the field. But if you can manage getting at least a master's you'll be swimming in bank. If you don't plan on going to graduate school I'd recommend double majoring if you're truly interested in economics. Something like economics and management would work. I'm double majoring in accounting and economics, but my main focus is accounting. I don't even really plan on using the economics degree unless I decide to go for my master's someday. princeofshapeir
A double major in econ and poli sci would also be great. If you have an interest in criminal justice it'll carry well to poli sci. There's a lot of overlap in both economics and politics, obviously.

I guess political science might actually be better than management. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I was reading the bureau of labor statistics and the number of government jobs available for economists overwhelmingly exceeded jobs available in corporations. But it also said jobs within businesses should increase in demand within the next ten years.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

TwistedShade

What's your opinion on going into Law Enforcement? Eyeing it up so would be interested to hear what you think the negatives are.

Tons of overtime, unpredictable hours, low pay, dangerous, high divorce rates, high stress levels, alcohol abuse, literally every person you come into contact with is either going to be pissed off at you, in distress, or pissed off at somebody else. If you have a BA in criminal justice, you barely get any benefits over other officers that don't have a degree. You may climb the ranks faster, but you'd be better starting off at a different job. Plus if you get something like a leg injury, you can no longer do patrol and will likely get stuck behind a desk. It's just not a life I'd want to live and I have been exploring other alternatives since I was considering being an officer when I started. Several other of my classmates went in with the same mindset and have all changed their mind.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#28 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

nooblet69

Agree with you on that. My brothers fiancee also has a degree for special eds kids and she makes like 40 or 45k :(.

That's not bad at all. My mom got a raise and now makes like 34k a year. Of course she works at a charter school in the inner city so that's why she gets paid so little. But yeah it's pretty silly considering she probably works like 60 hours a week. I mean that's around 15 dollars an hour.

jetpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jetpower3
Member since 2005 • 11631 Posts

Economics without a doubt.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts
Is this a serious fvcking question? There are more job opprotunities as an econ major. I don't know what's the use of a criminal justice major, anyway. Econ is a pretty difficult degree, though.
Syk0_k03r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Syk0_k03r
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts

If your dream job is to flip burgers, you can't go wrong with either.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#32 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Follow your heart, the right path will open.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Honestly, if you want a job, pick a degree in a tech field.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
I'm an economics major and I enjoy it. Not really sure about the job opportunities available for a criminal justice major,but I'm hoping an economics degree gives me some decent opportunities. I'm also studying business and accounting.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nooblet69

sonicare
How about IT ? I could see myself getting a degree in something like that...
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TwistedShade

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

nooblet69

How about IT ? I could see myself getting a degree in something like that...

Pretty much anything in IT is booming now and probably will be for years to come. Going off BLS.gov the only thing not really hot is hardware development.

BatCrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BatCrazedJoker
Member since 2012 • 1611 Posts
Economics has always caught my attention but it's not for me.I am a Chemical Engineer major and I love my major, maybe you should look into a scientific degree?
lonewolfman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lonewolfman10
Member since 2012 • 528 Posts

Criminal Justice definitely

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points